Storm Watch: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season

I'm quite curious about that. If you can post a picture, please do! Of course, stay safe.
IMAG0914.jpg

Don't worry about my safety, the wind and rain aren't coming to South England.

TBH, the fact that the country is going mad about an ex-Hurricane shows just how safe the UK is geographically. Think about it, no Hurricanes, nowhere near a fault line, so Earthquakes and Volcanoes are irrelevant. Tornadoes don't get strong, we don't have major blizzards or horrifically extreme temperatures. Plus the wildlife isn't out to kill you, the worst you'll have is hitting a deer in your car. Geographically, it's the best place in the world...

View attachment 680678
Don't worry about my safety, it's not coming to South England.

TBH, the fact that the country is going mad about an ex-Hurricane shows just how safe the UK is geographically. Think about it, no Hurricanes, nowhere near a fault line, so Earthquakes and Volcanoes are irrelevant. Tornadoes don't get strong, we don't have major blizzards or horrifically extreme temperatures. Plus the wildlife is t out to kill you, the worst you'll have is hitting a deer in your car. Geographically, it's the best place in the world...
That's a very faint coloration, but it's so cool!

Of course, I wish our Irish GTP members well through this storm.

That's a very faint coloration, but it's so cool!

Of course, I wish our Irish GTP members well through this storm.
My camera doesn't do it justice unfortunately. I saw it though the window and thought it was one of those tinted windows, but when I went outside and saw it as the same colour, it was weird.

It is a little bit windy here, so my cycle home could be interesting, but it's Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, North England and Scotland that is going to have problems from it.

South England be like:

Hurricane Ophelia
28F8E2E400000578-3092179-image-m-30_1432288691069.jpg

To everyone in the storm, good luck and keep safe.

This Sahara dust brought up by Ophelia has turned the sky here in Oxfordshire a beigey-orange colour. Very odd.

The light here, up North, has been odd all day. Went out at lunch and the sun was very orange/red. It was like a poor quality special effect from a low budget film where they just add a really obvious orange filter to the picture rather than film it with expensive lighting. Wind's picking up a bit too, latest forecast has it just clipping us on it's way up to Scotland.

The light here, up North, has been odd all day. Went out at lunch and the sun was very orange/red. It was like a poor quality special effect from a low budget film where they just add a really obvious orange filter to the picture rather than film it with expensive lighting. Wind's picking up a bit too, latest forecast has it just clipping us on it's way up to Scotland.

yep from my office window in Leeds its been a weird colour all day. Wind is a stiff breeze. I'm dreading it picking up though before I head home as I walk past a building called Bridgewater Place and its notorious for amplifying the wind it even toppled a truck a few years ago killing a Dr walking past.

Same for me. All the white lights in shop signs and such like look a lot whiter than usual. They really stand out against the sky.

Edit. The sky is back to normal here in West Yorkshire.

Last edited:
Looking outside right now, and it's like there's a 50% sepia filter on the window. It's been like that for the last 2-3 hours.

I'm quite curious about that. If you can post a picture, please do! Of course, stay safe.

I only had my phone on me and couldn't get it off the auto settings... but this afternoon the sun was shining a peculiar flaming red colour. The gods were clearly displeased.

StormSky.jpg

Incidentally, the last time I can find an actual hurricane hitting the British Isles is Hurricane Debbie in 1961...
Also Michael Fish saying on the Weather it would be normal didn't help either.
To be fair, I think what he said was that it wasn't going to be a hurricane, which was technically true. However, it was presented in such a way that most people interpreted it as a statement of how serious the storm would be rather than a statement about the meteorological nature of the storm.
Michael Fish's exact words at the beginning of the broadcast were:

"Good afternoon. Earlier on today apparently a woman rang the BBC and said that she heard there was a hurricane on the way. Well if you're watching: don't worry, there isn't."

What's always missed off in the story is the very next sentence:

"But having said that actually the weather will become very windy."

He was right. We were hit by hurricane force winds, but not a hurricane. The depression didn't originate in the tropics, so does not classify as a hurricane. He also said that most of the wind would be over Spain and France, which was also right - the UK recorded 90 knots peak sustained wind and 100 knot gusts, while Northern France was recording nearly 120 knots. However, the Met Office did not predict the strength of the winds correctly - it was felt that the storm would dump more rain than wind and this didn't turn out to be the case. It turned out that the depression Fish was talking about wasn't the depression that caused the 1987 storm - they simply missed it.

It's always trotted out when we have storms and high winds, and it's always bollocks.

My camera doesn't do it justice unfortunately. I saw it though the window and thought it was one of those tinted windows, but when I went outside and saw it as the same colour, it was weird.

It is a little bit windy here, so my cycle home could be interesting, but it's Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales, North England and Scotland that is going to have problems from it.

South England be like:

Hurricane Ophelia
28F8E2E400000578-3092179-image-m-30_1432288691069.jpg

To everyone in the storm, good luck and keep safe.

In the Midlands it was a little windy. Nothing extreme but our toddler slide hopped the 4 foot fence to next door. Must have been strange to them waking up to it considering they gave it to us in the first place. Must have thought we were giving it back or something.

...our toddler slide-hopped the 4 foot fence to next door. Must have been strange to them waking up to it considering they gave it to us in the first place. Must have thought we were giving it back or something.

It what? They did what?!

...our toddler-slide hopped the 4 foot fence to next door. Must have been strange to them waking up to it considering they gave it to us in the first place. Must have thought we were giving it back or something.

That makes more sense and leaves me wondering a lot less about your private life! :D

Back