Subaru Viziv Performance Concept - Now the 2022 Subaru WRX

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 128 comments
Looks ok, I like the front and sides, but I’m not really feeling the rear. The big plastic rear bumper looks a bit weird imo and the proportions are a bit weird, I’m blaming those taillights.

Electronic parking brake is a curious choice, is it for GT trim only or CVT only? Also why is the GT trim CVT only?

I’m not sure about that mostly screen interior. At least they kept some buttons (looking at you VW).

@c172fccc Seems like there is a physical handbrake for the lower trim with a manual. Sorry about mixing up photos between trims.
2022-subaru-wrx-13-1631124839.jpg

2022-subaru-wrx-21-1631124863.jpg

The plastic trim totally turns me off. I really hope that’s not mandatory on all WRXs. If it is, then hoo boy will the purists be pissed.

:lol: They are just mocking me now!
I feel like Subaru is mocking me too these days, with these ghastly enormous screens (or the alternative above). The six-speed and all the road-carving performance in the world couldn't make up for living with that.

I'll take a 2002 WRX instead (LOL, as if I could find one that hasn't been thrashed).

Look like the center dash is a children’s learning toy. “Hear the cow go ‘mooooo’”. Lord ‘a mercy…

Damn. That center stack is bad. It look like a 1980s version of a tablet and a backyard engineer shoved it in that hole, removed his hand slowly, to see if it falls out and said, “ Yeah, that fits!”.

I wonder if the black plastic helps prevent rust. That would be a nice benefit, otherwise the way they did it here looks a bit over the top.

I wonder if the black plastic helps prevent rust. That would be a nice benefit, otherwise the way they did it here looks a bit over the top.
I would honestly worry about it encouraging rust. The last thing you want is to trap water, and cladding over metal with an impervious material (like plastic) is an excellent way to do just that. Hopefully they have designed in some weep holes so any water that does get in there has a way to get out.

I would honestly worry about it encouraging rust. The last thing you want is to trap water, and cladding over metal with an impervious material (like plastic) is an excellent way to do just that. Hopefully they have designed in some weep holes so any water that does get in there has a way to get out.
Yeah good point, I'm not sure how cars with the cladding rust. Either way, in the salt states something will be falling off.

Honestly really like the car, and have been saying for years that the STI of this model will likely be my next car. That hasn’t changed, but can anyone show me a photoshop of it without the black cladding? Would really put my mind at ease because it’s simply awful.

I know not everyone was a fan of the previous generation design, but I think it looked pretty good.

This is just lukewarm and it's a step down. The biggest issues are the plastic cladding and the center console treatment. Not sure which one of those is worse.

I say(a couple times) the dash is worse. At least you don't have to look at the car much, when entering and exiting the vehicle. Can't see it while driving and not really going to look at the whole car while washing it either. The dash(fourth time) is... shouldn't have been approved during development. May as well have placed a Tesla sized touch tablet for everyone to complain about. Nearly forced to choose an upspect model to avoid that dash.

How can a young and hip Subaru designer in 2020 look at photos of the 22B lining their studio and think to themselves,

"...black cladding. It needs black cladding."

Last edited:
what is with the GR86 tail end??

well you know, this sort of turbo flat four w/ manual + 4wd isnt long for the earth so one must be happy that these things even exist

of course i would take this any day over an 86 and i would think a wagon type body w/ manual would be a good thing

i'm not a huge fan of the flat four sound, ("signifies the imminent arrival of a moron") but its at least distinctive throaty bassy in a world of cars that sounds like PD Gran Turismo vacuum cleaners.

that Forrester is supremely ugly. They made it so the wheels look tiny and the car is overly bulky looking.

The cladding is overdone and the interior looks like its 1997.

I'm sure its a good drive with its 2.5 flat four w/ cvt (LOL)... surely modern CUVs can do better than this.

Back