Suggestion Box.

• Thread starter boombexus
  • 798 comments

boombexus

Staff Emeritus
Hey all,

Had some ideas kickin around about how to spice up or change the weekly race series. These would just be additions to things we already do and not necessarily a standard for every week.

For example,

1. We could have a choice of 2 or more cars to run. Each similarly matched.

2. Choose any car but have a horse power cap.

3. Run the same tracks back to back but with different drive trains. (Deep Forest with a FF, and then a FR car.) Might be a good learning experience when all you really have to focus on is the car because you will have gotten the track down.

4. Longer races. Maybe more 2 or 3 lap events. An endurance race maybe? :eek:

5. A credit limit to buy and build your own car.

6. Running Time Trials or Liscense Tests.

These are just a few ideas, but I would like to hear what you all would like to see as well.

Let's hear what you got!

What you could do mabe is take a huge turn and have the next half of the series divided in teams. ;)
So then we coulld have at the end
The #1 Team
The #2 Team
The #3 Team
etc. your choice
and have point standings.
driver standings/points

I like the point standings idea, but it wouldn't fit well with the Weekly Series as we always have new people coming and going.

What about a race that involves Pit stops ..Drivers chose their tyres ..I think this would be a good bet for everyone to get used to using different types of tyre..As we seem to be using T8's all the time..This might be a hassle for some peeps though..But would be intersting..And would also help with consistancy..

Or we could try some of the super licsence tests..As these are set laps might be good for peeps like me the work on these and could also help boosting credibility etc..GT40 @ Seattle :eek:..

Or heres on for ya lets see how fast peeps can go round tahiti maze in Reverse (reverse gear that is ):lol: that would be a buzz :lol: :P..

I will have a wee ponder and see if anything else pops up ;)

Originally posted by Cobraking
Boom, is there away i can IM u ?

Unfortunately not, I'm at work right now.

@ Pedro. Hmmmm, a race with pit stops. That could be interesting. Maybe a 5 lapper with a T5 tire or or above, something that is gonna force the racer to pit. You could incorporate different tire compounds too. Say a T5 up front and a T6 in the rear. Mess around with it to see what kind of times you can get with different tires. Probably have to adjust suspension settings to deal with the different tires.
Yeah, some of the liscense tests or Time Trials might be a good choice too.

What about a credit limit. To build a car with the parts that you want to choose?

Originally posted by boombexus
Unfortunately not, I'm at work right now.

@ Pedro. Hmmmm, a race with pit stops. That could be interesting. Maybe a 5 lapper with a T5 tire or or above, something that is gonna force the racer to pit. You could incorporate different tire compounds too. Say a T5 up front and a T6 in the rear. Mess around with it to see what kind of times you can get with different tires. Probably have to adjust suspension settings to deal with the different tires.
Yeah, some of the liscense tests or Time Trials might be a good choice too.

What about a credit limit. To build a car with the parts that you want to choose?

What about my suggestions!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yup that could work have say 150k to spend on a chosen car ..I think most folk would cram as much into the engine to crank up the Bhp ..But a good learning curve all the same ..It's not all about the engine..mm i like that idea..
And at the end or during a race peeps disclose everything that they have done to the car ..

Originally posted by Cobraking
What about my suggestions!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You mean about the Mustang and the Camaro? That's a definate possibility. 👍
And the points system, (as I mentioned earlier.) I don't see fitting in with the series as we always have people comming and going. The newer people would wind up so much farther behind the racers that have been participating longer.

Originally posted by pedrodaman
Yup that could work have say 150k to spend on a chosen car ..I think most folk would cram as much into the engine to crank up the Bhp ..But a good learning curve all the same ..It's not all about the engine..mm i like that idea..
And at the end or during a race peeps disclose everything that they have done to the car ..

What if there were a list of cars that you could choose from? Let's just say, Touring cars. Where you could spend your money on buying the car, and it's parts.
Finding out which parts work the best for you for the money spent. Just adding horse power might not beat someone that has spent their money on suspension.

I think that discussion would have to be open and ongoing, not just at the end. Finding out what part is gonna give you the best results would be part of the weeks learning and having discussion on advantages or disadvantages of each part.

Yeah thats what i was kinda thinking too..I,ve had a few race,s in the past with this sort of setup..

But i can see problems ..from peeps not having cars ,not opened the tracks ,But more so not having enough credits to buy the parts for the cars ..(this is not a problem for me) but im sure it could be for others..Say they buy the car soup it up and save the game at that point so they don't need to go through the whole process again..But half way through decide they made the wrong choice's with the parts they bought ..Their cash would have suffered (if they are low on it that is)

I agree with the discussion part should be open this will help in understanding what everything does..I know i would im still clueless on some of these parts :lol:

I see your point about the credit issues. I think it might be managable for everyone if the credit cap was kept low. Like in the 100,000 - 200,000 credit range. If everyone had at least 500,000 to 1 million credits, I think that would be more than comfortable for everyone. What do you think?

Would any of the racers out there have any issues with credits when buying cars and parts?

Yup keep the credit low 👍 i like the back to back idea that could be good also.. 1 week we run a car the next week run the exact same car but this time with credit to spend on it ..Or have say 50k to spend on the first week then up the credit for the second week ..
But do not let on how much will be added it could be as much as an addittional 100k down to as low as 10k..Whatcha think.?

Originally posted by boombexus
I see your point about the credit issues. I think it might be managable for everyone if the credit cap was kept low. Like in the 100,000 - 200,000 credit range. If everyone had at least 500,000 to 1 million credits, I think that would be more than comfortable for everyone. What do you think?

Would any of the racers out there have any issues with credits when buying cars and parts?

i didnt buy the TICkford for week 14. :)

I'm excited about all the new possibilities!

It would be *a lot* of fun to have more variety in the weekly race series.

One thing I would vote against are the licences and time trials. Those are things that we've probably already done, or can do without the weekly race series. I'd say to focus on things that people can't get anywhere else.

Two suggestions:

I saw a race at GT3Times.com that was based around weight-to-power ratio. It had a narrow range (2.7 - 3.1) of acceptable weight-to-power limitations that made a lot of really evenly matched races with very different cars (i.e. Opel Speedster vs. Viper, once the w-to-p ratio is similar, so are the lap times)

How about some double header races, say the same track forward and reverse in the same week?

Well for the most part, I am currently looking at the idea of playing with car selections.

Multiple cars to choose from would make things hotter, and if we did it right, we could use several different types on one race, then on the next, a couple of the same cars only from different teams.

As I've mentioned before, the supra's (castrol vs denso), the nsx's (arta vs castrol vs raybrig), and the skylines (penzoil vs arta vs zexel vs loctite)

We could also look into different cars like the spoon s2000 racer vs the razo silvia.

I also really like the real world grudge matches... the camaro ss vs mustang cobra r, the oreca vs the c5r, the three big proto's.(787 vs gt1 vs r390gt1)

I think the idea of credits and working a long term race series is a good one, but I dont like the idea of incorporating any sort of tire limitations... I think pitting is far too much a part of real world racing, so the strategies we use should be based on what we can do, hence, super soft or super hard tires... its your choice, just think it through.

I also think a credit limited race would be great... build a car up with under 60,000 credits or something... no requirments for car or anything.

Only the requirment that you spend no more than 60,000 overall. (oil, tires, and anything else would all count)

That would prove to be a hell of a race because personal choice would wiegh in so heavily.

The idea of time trials and license test is a good one, but I think it would be better off being run seperatly with no limit on time turn ins or anything like that...

I think it would be best to make that sort of comp a learning experience that last with no real competition at the heart of it. (unless racing yourself counts)

Doing 2 or 3 lap races isnt a bad idea, but I think it would be best to do a race from sim mode with a specific car and set of mods.

Then do your own tuning with in the limits set forth...

We could do something like a 5 lapper from the amatuer league or we could do some 10/15 lappers from the pro league. (my choice would be pro league)

Yea... for now Im gonnna lay off and just think these topics over more, plus it will give you all a chance to read this post... I think it might be a long one.

Back soon with more to discuss...

Great idea boom. (with the box and all your thoughts)

I suggest a race with stops for future rounds ... we haven't done a race since the $hitty FTO at SSR :P

@GoKents - the Silvia & Apex are a lot closer than the Silvia & Spoon - unless perhaps you mean fully modded versions?

@Boom and this thread in general:
There's nothing better than running a challenge race with a cash prize - each time you run it you make some money, in the end you usually make enough money to at least buy your car back. :) If you do longer races though, you might want to make it a two week race or something. Also, of course it would be wise to pick races that stay within the replay limit (about 32 minutes max), for verification purposes.

I also like running two-car races, but if you want the result also to be a fair comparison of the two cars' capabilities, I'd suggest that the end result consists of the total time of the laps in both of the cars. That way you will try to run both cars to the max of their ability - otherwise you run the risk that it becomes clear fairly early on that one of the cars is superior and from then on the other car will be ignored, which can then really shortchange that car.

- I like Tire wear
- I like Sim Tires
- I like Sim Races with A.I. that you can *almost* beat (but not quite, i.e. you might get 2nd if you were reeeeeeeeeeeallly good)
- I love the combo
- I like cars that aren't tuned to the max. Many cars don't need it.

I did two great 10 lap tire wear races on sims - TM2 with the Speed 6 (full tranny, full susp. no other mods) and DF2 with the RUF RGT (semi susp, no other mods)

Simulation Tires with Simulation Steering Assist are awesome. They can still be run by DS2s, though - DS2 'steering assist' still helps out quite a bit, despite what PD says in the comment that goes with the Sim Tires.

Boombexus:

"I like the point standings idea, but it wouldn't fit well with the Weekly Series as we always have new people coming and going."

I agree with you Cobraking, I have just entered this series, and I was a bit dissapointed when I realised that there was no points won in the races. It would be more fun to race for points/or in a team.

But you have a point, Boom the standings would not be representative to the driver's ability when he/she drives only a few races

Here's my suggestion: After each drivers total score also show how many of the races that are participated in that season and also a average score for the season. Then we have a fair picture of each drivers participation level and driving skills.

It could look something like this:

PRO Ser. Points Races Avg

Driver1 84 12 7.00
Driver2 70 12 5.83
Driver3 68 10 6.80

/D

Oh and by the way, I really like the idea with a race only with credit limit - and something between 50k-100k would be perfect..

Originally posted by GTJugend
Here's my suggestion: After each drivers total score also show how many of the races that are participated in that season and also a average score for the season. Then we have a fair picture of each drivers participation level and driving skills.

It could look something like this:

PRO Ser. Points Races Avg

Driver1 84 12 7.00
Driver2 70 12 5.83
Driver3 68 10 6.80

/D

Oh and by the way, I really like the idea with a race only with credit limit - and something between 50k-100k would be perfect.. [/B]

That point system is possible, but you do have to add a small burn for racers missing out on a certain week. This burn has to be equal to finishing last of class, otherwise people won't be stimulated to try on a race they're weak with.

Arwin: "That point system is possible, but you do have to add a small burn for racers missing out on a certain week. This burn has to be equal to finishing last of class, otherwise people won't be stimulated to try on a race they're weak with."

Arwin, the burn would be that the total ranking is always based on the total score and with this add you will always get points for finishing a race:

The winner of the class always gets the same points ex. 10 points. Then all the other points comes from a scale with equal steps from 10 to 0 depending on the number of racers. The last racer always gets points:

if there is only two sub. times in the class then 1st place gets 10 points and 2nd place gets 5 points

if there is 5 sub. times in the class then 1st=10 points 2nd=8 points 3rd= 6 points .. .. ..

if there is 14 sub times in the class then 1st=10 points 2nd gets 9.28 points 3rd gets 8.57 points .. .. ..

The burn you talked about, Arwin, could be achieved with taking 1st place score 10pt and divide it with the number of drivers in the class and give that score to each driver with a DNF (the lowest possible score if all drivers would compete). In addition to that another burn with this system is that if there is few drivers that races the last race place gets more valuable then if there are many drivers that races.

This system would create decimals in the rankings but I don't see that as a problem. Is there a mathematician out there that can confirm my idea that this is a quite fair system?

/D

Allthough i think the points system is good..You both have come up with nice systems..👍

It just seems to me that it will create more work for Rob in the long run ..With thinking up race's ,doing the results threads etc.

It seems a bit much to me ..But thats JMO ;)

Edit

In addittion to running sim races thats a top idea ..Good one that would cancel out all the previous concerns about credit problems..And it could encourage new racers or folk that have resarted the game.

e.g a race in sim amatuer leaque with say 10k for the win depending on how many times peeps run the race they would start to rake it in..

Kill two birds with one stone ..playing through the game and doing OLR at the same time..;)

And it would also make it easier for you Boom to calculate the next race from the previous race (prize cars that could be used,Credit earned).etc etc

Yep, Pedro.. It would be some extra job for boom.. so, when he's the one that has the main responsibility for the comp it's up to him.

My brain was working at 6000 rpm with this idea so I just had to type it down.. :)

/D

Aye it is indeed up to him well see what he thinks about it ..

BTW welcome to GTplanet 👍 are you running this weeks race..?

Following on from my post in this weeks race..

We could do dual race's like Japanese Vs US cars Brit Vs US and so on ..
I know some folk might Be biased and patriotic to do well in there Countrys car ..
But if both time where to be submitted as an overall time then everyone will do there best to get the best possible time out of both machines..Just a thought..

Thank you, Pedro and yes, I'm running this week.. Havent decided yet which car that fits me best..

/D

Latest Posts

Back