Super Aguri are no more; Villeneuve confirmed at BMW Sauber

i literally just got an Autosport Text which read the following:

ASPT TXT: The Super Aguri team have failed to make it onto the official 2006 Formula One entry list.

i also got this one earlier today:

ASPT TXT: BMW Sauber have confirmed that Jacques Villeneuve will line up alongsied Nick Heidfeld next season.

here are links to both stories:

Super Aguri story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4489686.stm
Villeneuve story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4488472.stm

Thats a shame well they got a year to get ready now so they might surprise a couple of people in 07...

they stil can get in according to ITV F1
The former Formula 1 driver's team did not appear on next year's official entry list, issued by the FIA on Thursday afternoon.

Suzuki must now gain the approval from the other 10 teams if he is to acquire a late entry onto the grid.

The team, which had planned to use 2.4-litre V8 Honda engines next season, is believed to have failed to come up with the US$48m bond needed to secure a place in the paddock.

Why is Jacques Villeneuve still scoring race seats? I don't think BMW needs his money, do they?

It’s like $20m to buy him out of the team this year.

Anyway, he wasn’t too horrible towards the end of the year. Not great, but much better than he was at the start of the year.

I'd be very surprised if the Aguri team were only refused for not coughing up the 48 million dollars...it must be down to the chassis'

JV probably knows this is his last hoorah so i have
a feeling he might show up on sundays this upcoming
season. he wont be winning races but he'll definitely
show up.

[FPV]Rusty
i wouldnt be surprised at all, the F1 big heads are all about the money these days

No, what I meant was that with Honda backing for Sato the money should have been straight in there surely...

Honda spent like $20m on Button – they’d never spend $48m so Sato has a seat. Even if they do get it back eventually.

Its sad they wont be on the grid for 2006 i was rather looking forward to an extra team on the grid. I didnt want to wait for 2007 but its not really a surprize.

What is a small surprize is bmw wanting JV. I understand they wouldnt want to buy out his contract but you would think they would want someone half way decent for their new team...

They didn’t want JV. As I understand it, Bourdais was likely to get the seat if they could get out of the contract with JV. However, the contract was water tight and the only way out was paying $20m.

Anyway, they have Nick for a number of years and the first year that you’re on the grid is not the year when you want to be paying tens of millions to get a driver, let alone to get rid of one!

I think they wanted hekki kovalianin from reunalt , but that didn't work out so there aren't any other options left

BMW318ciC
I think they wanted hekki kovalianin from reunalt , but that didn't work out so there aren't any other options left
I believe that was just a rumour. Renault probably wouldn’t let him go unless they had an option on him for 2007 – so BMW wouldn’t want to bother seeing that they already have JV for one year, anyway. Never mind the money needed to get rid of him.

I hate Villeneuve. He's not so much a "has been", than a "has never been". Remember when he won the title? Williams were about 2 seconds a lap faster that Ferrari theoretically, and he won the championship. in the last race.

Back