Super License

• Thread starter Swift
  • 125 comments
S12 - Suzuka Circuit; Nissan Motul Pitwork Z (JGTC) `04

I just golded S 12 with a 1:55.748.

The night before I got below 1:56.000 for the first time. Misses out by .004 with a 1:55.923.
Finally beat the gold time after a 2.5 hour session last night.
I got down to 1:56.1xx pretty quickly and knew I was close when my best 1st sector time was +.9xx faster than previous best, only to make two mistakes. One at the hairpin after the first time sector and then braked too hard on the long left sweeper before the chicane.
I was several times 0.5 to 0.6 seconds ahead at the 1st sector only to stuff up once again.
I was getting frustrated and tired after 2 hours and my first lap sector time were dropping to be about 0.5 seconds slower than my best. However I kept at it and knew with one half decent lap I could gold my least fav test.
My final attempt saw me down 0.5 seconds at the first sector. I braked late and hard at the next hairpin and suprisingly got very good exit speed out of the slow turn.
I flicked the ghost on and saw I was catching and quickly turned the ghost off again. I had a good entry at the next double apex left and also had a good exit speed. Crossed the 2nd timer down 0.2 seconds. I was prepared to really push the final sweeping left bend and only momentarilly backed of the gas and then straight back on the gas to take the corner at 260 (kmh) using the full width of the road and some of the curb. That was the fastest I had ever taken that bend. I nailed the braking point for the chicane and got a good fast exit with no wheel spin (ASM light did not activate) and heeded for the finish line. (As I neared the finish I chanced a moment to flick on the ghost and was 5-6 car lenghts in front). As I crossed the line I was most relieved to see the time and that gold medal.

With a really good lap I reckon I could get close to the demo run.
I was amazed that I was able to make up approx 0.7 seconds on the last 2 sectors of my final run. This is probably good enough reason to never give up on a test no matter how bad you think it may be.
I have the feeling that the test car's handling changes each time you drive a lap. Going from understeer on one lap and oversteer on the next. Or am I getting this feeling as I take each lap slightly different and a few kmh difference at each corner or a few mm deviation of the ideal line is enough to change the balance of the car?

Well that one is out of the way, now to finish S15 and S16.

mind clarifying what track and what car s12 is? and in the future...all tests? im at work and id probably be interested in the post if i knew what the hell you were talking about

Synopsis of the 2nd thread in this forum called
Read This: GT4 Licenses Gold Medal Guide by The_Missing_Link

S1 - Twin Ring Motegi Road Course; Honda Gathers Drider Civic Race Car `98
S2 - Citta Di Aria; Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto `66
S3 - Special Stage Route 5; Saleen S7 `02

S4 - Costa Di Amalfi; Lancia Stratos Rally Car `77
S5 - Seattle Circuit; Ford GT `05
S6 - Ice Arena; Hyundai Accent Rally Car `01

S7 - Trial Mountain Circuit; Mercedez-Benz SLR McLaren `03
S8 - Tokyo Route 246; Honda Takata Dome NSX (JGTC) `03
S9 - El Capitan; Dodge Viper SRT10 `03

S10 - Grand Canyon; Mitsubishi Stallion 4WD Rally Car `84
S11 - Opera Paris; Renault Clio Renault Sport V6 Phase 2 `03
S12 - Suzuka Circuit; Nissan Motul Pitwork Z (JGTC) `04

S13 - Infineon Raceway; Audi R8 Race Car `01
S14 - Chamonix; Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 Rally Car `85
S15 - Circuit De La Sarthe; Bentley Speed 8 Race Car `03

S16 - Nurburgring Nordschleife; Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II `91

The S license was probably my favourite because I like the time trial structure better than the 'pace car' thing from previous licenses. It was a bit of a relief to have some freedom, in a way. I passed it with all bronzes apart from the one with the Bentley Speed 8 at Le Sarthe, which I got silver on. I really love that test, great car and great track

El Gigante
The S license was probably my favourite because I like the time trial structure better than the 'pace car' thing from previous licenses. It was a bit of a relief to have some freedom, in a way. I passed it with all bronzes apart from the one with the Bentley Speed 8 at Le Sarthe, which I got silver on. I really love that test, great car and great track

I know what you mean - the whole pace car thing I don't take to at all.

S16 is the only one I have left to beat. I get half way around it with a really good run then do something careless like brake too late...
BTW ViXen, I like your avatar, Vida Guerra is really hot :)

greenjack
S16 is the only one I have left to beat.
BTW ViXen, I like your avatar, Vida Guerra is really hot :)

S16? Isn't that the 'Ring with the AMG 190E? Love that track. If you can clear the track without falling off, you''ll probably gold it, the target times aren't actually that tough IMO. Plus doing it under strict licence conditions is good discipline and good experience. It's easier than M34...

Never been to Vida Guerra. Where's that then?... :)

EJ1Rider
i am having trouble beating s10 and s14 there both rally....i have the DFP im not sure if that makes it any harder 2 race
I think it's really easier with a DFP since you can counter steer more precisely but it's also makeable with a DS2. You should do the special conditions events so that you learn with a less powered car and when you think you're good enough retry them.

EJ1Rider
i am having trouble beating s10 and s14 there both rally....i have the DFP im not sure if that makes it any harder 2 race

I just need a silver on S10 for all-silver/gold. That car is a pig - I feel like my analogue stick isnt connected to the steering rack at all. Any tips for getting that thing around at a reasonable pace? I say reasonable pace because I tip-toed around Chamonix in the 205 and managed silver, much to my surprise!!

S16 - Nurburgring was quite easy - stay on the track, brake early and keep it smooth - just beware of understeer in a few places and gold is easy to achieve. If you know the track, you will have no problems. Ive done several 100 laps around the place before the S-license, which helps no end.

Well, I just have S15 and S16 to do now, so I'm pretty close to getting all gold.
I just like to remark that it took me about a week to get gold on S12 (the Nissan Motul Pitwork Z on Suzuka) while I got gold on S13 (the Audi R8 Race Car on Infineon) in less than half an hour.
Why do they make some tests so easy and some of them so hard? I mean Suzuka was damn near impossible :crazy: . I was ready to give it up, with only 4 golds to go :ouch: !
I pulled it off in the end, but man it was frustrating. The level of perfection needed to get gold time is simply insane.
Then I came to to S13 and was almost insulted at how easy it was. You can see the difference in the demo times too. The demo for Suzuka was only a few hundreths of a second below gold time, the demo for Infineon was almost 2 seconds below gold time.
Anyway, I just hope the last 2 tests will be somewhere between S12 and S13 (preferably closer to S13 though :) ).

are all you poeple who have golded all the tests the sort of people who play religiously for hours on end doing one thing?
I ask because I have less than 10 golds and the rest silver, yet I have all but completed all of the missions. Is it a matter of playing the tests ad nausium untill you win???

Hapul
are all you poeple who have golded all the tests the sort of people who play religiously for hours on end doing one thing?
I ask because I have less than 10 golds and the rest silver, yet I have all but completed all of the missions. Is it a matter of playing the tests ad nausium untill you win???

I think that if you look at it this way you'll never get all Gold. Getting gold on all licence tests (which I did 2 days ago :) ) should be seen as a game by itself, not as an anoying part of the overall game you need to get through on order to complete it.
It is not a matter of just playing the tests ad nausium untill you win. You need to consider golding a licence (especially the harder ones like S12) as a goal by itself. It took me about 4 days of playing for about 2 hours a day to gold S12. During these 4 days I kept getting better and better times by watching the demo, reading what other people had to say about this tests (see the Gold MedalGuide by Missing Link), and just experimenting with break points and racing lines myself. Off course if you expect to win gold on your first couple of tries you will get frustrated and might give up on it. But if you accept the fact that you will have to spend several hours on one test (wheter its in one sitting or spread out over days or even weeks), you will get it eventually.
So basicaly its a choice you have to make for yourself. Don't start trying to get all gold untill you are willing to spend a lot of time on it.
The same thing goes for the Missions. You need to study them and learn from each attempt. If you feel you're not making any progress, stop it and return to them later when you're ready to put in the time and efford needed.
Personally I didn't even think about getting all gold untill I finnished the rest of the game allmost completely (I still have the 2 Le Mans 24hrs and Mission 34 to go). I don't buy a new game every week, or even every month, cause I have better things to spend my money on. So when I have a game I really like I play it for several months, sometimes even more than a year. Getting all gold was just a way for me to get some more fun out of the game. And as an added bonus I became a much better, cleaner racer by doing it.
Now I'll start trying to complete Mission 34. I know it will be hard and it will take me a long time, but thats ok. I just need to think of something to kill time during those 🤬 123s waits.

Pleased with S2 and S11 - got gold on both today, 1.9 seconds under gold time on both. Which was nice.

Bad1
I think that if you look at it this way you'll never get all Gold. Getting gold on all licence tests (which I did 2 days ago :) ) should be seen as a game by itself, not as an anoying part of the overall game you need to get through on order to complete it.
It is not a matter of just playing the tests ad nausium untill you win. You need to consider golding a licence (especially the harder ones like S12) as a goal by itself. It took me about 4 days of playing for about 2 hours a day to gold S12. During these 4 days I kept getting better and better times by watching the demo, reading what other people had to say about this tests (see the Gold MedalGuide by Missing Link), and just experimenting with break points and racing lines myself. Off course if you expect to win gold on your first couple of tries you will get frustrated and might give up on it. But if you accept the fact that you will have to spend several hours on one test (wheter its in one sitting or spread out over days or even weeks), you will get it eventually.
So basicaly its a choice you have to make for yourself. Don't start trying to get all gold untill you are willing to spend a lot of time on it.
The same thing goes for the Missions. You need to study them and learn from each attempt. If you feel you're not making any progress, stop it and return to them later when you're ready to put in the time and efford needed.
Personally I didn't even think about getting all gold untill I finnished the rest of the game allmost completely (I still have the 2 Le Mans 24hrs and Mission 34 to go). I don't buy a new game every week, or even every month, cause I have better things to spend my money on. So when I have a game I really like I play it for several months, sometimes even more than a year. Getting all gold was just a way for me to get some more fun out of the game. And as an added bonus I became a much better, cleaner racer by doing it.
Now I'll start trying to complete Mission 34. I know it will be hard and it will take me a long time, but thats ok. I just need to think of something to kill time during those 🤬 123s waits.
Yeah, You're right. I've given it a go, and golded up to intl. B. It takes a while, but it is very rewarding! Thanks!

is it just me, or is s4 the easiest license test in the whole game. After getting a bronze when i first did the licenses, (just to get them) i ran an ordinary run, nothing special, with a few mistakes, and still beat the gold time by half a second!!! this is the easiest test ive ever done, has anyone else found this?

currently, im working on all of my licenses...but the supers i am having a little trouble with. when i first bought GT4, i bronzed all of the S'ers, but now, as im trying to improve my game, im working on it. if discussion continues, itll help too :)

I golded all the tests of the S license today :D. I did all the tests in just 4 hours, with the DS2. The one with the Nissan 350Z on Suzuka was the hardest for me, followed by the Ford GT on Seattle and the Audi R8 on Infineon.

I just got gold on S12 - Suzuka Circuit; Nissan Motul Pitwork Z (JGTC) `04 License test last night. This for me has been the second hardest for all of the completed tests thus far(S13-16 left). S tests 1-11 have been relatively easy with the exception of S7 - Trial Mountain Circuit; Mercedez-Benz SLR McLaren `03. I found with the S12 test that you first get into the mode where you continually shave off .5 to 1 second off your previous time and can do this quite easily. As is the case with all of my quests for gold, I find I always seem to settle in at about .5 seconds off the gold time and once at this point I start to analyze my best time to the preview. For this test my settling time was 156.388 where I found two spots that I knew I could improve easily on and a third point on the course that I knew I could not improve on. I will call the my best time BT and the high speed left turn before the chicane the 5th gear turn. I found after many retries that I could beat my BT through the S turns up until the final right S turn. My BT though had a problem with the sweeping left leading up to the double rights before the hairpin and I could always pull far ahead making sure I was on the right in 4th gear carving the turn to just touch the turtle on the left. Getting this to consistently occur allowed for a time between .4 and .6 seconds ahead of my BT at the first checkpoint. I only needed to really be concerned about the hairpin and 5th Gear turn. My BT on the second part of the course, hairpin to finish, was an awesome time and even on the preview although behind gained a lot of ground. I a better BT at 156.231 at one point and I found the weak parts of the lap to be in almost the same spots as the previous BT. I screwed up laps getting first checkpoint times that bettered my BT by as much as 1.7 seconds always trying to pull ahead even more and driving into the sand (mostly on the 5th Gear turn) or allowing my ghost to pass on the hairpin. I focused on these two parts of the lap and after many retries finally won Gold with a first checkpoint margin of .7 seconds and a final time of 155.569. The only other license test that required the same or more analysis was the Mini One lap where I found the racing line to be a hairline. The line in S12 is also unforgiving but once you can beat the weak points of a good time by a large margin this test becomes confidently beat able (unlike my revisited attempt at Mission 34 soon with a BT of 9:19xx).

Note: the S turns in the first part of the course are labeled S1-S4.

Turn one - Make the entry to the turn just touching the turtle on the right and downshifting to 4th at the same time you brake. Get back on the throttle about 3/4 an look for the tire marks. Brake hard enough to stay inside the marks and go deep into the next turn.

Turn two - 3rd gear Full lock right and full throttle out touching the left rumple.

Turn three(S1 left) - Shift into 4ht gear and enter turn 3 slightly touching the brakes, staying on pavement(no rumple) punching the throttles between turn 3 and 4.

Turn 4(S2 right) - Ease into the turn quickly and apply the brakes and downshift to 3rd as soon as you touch the rumple strip. Full acceleration and shift into 4th about halfway between turn 4 and 5.

Turn 5(S3 left) - Begin the turn early, brake medium and downshift to 3rd as soon as you hit the rumple. Shift into 4th and full throttle out of the turn aiming for the rumple on the next S4 right turn.

Turn 6(S4 right) - Brake hard and shift into 3rd. You want to maintain speed here but end up right on exit. Shift into 4th staying in the tire marks.

Turn 7(sweeping left) - Stay on full throttle aiming for the left rumple strip in 4th gear. Slightly ease off to settle the car and go back on full throttle sending the car right out to the rumple strip. Stay in the tire tracks and shift into 5th at redline.

Turn 8 - This is a feel good type turn where you brake hard, downshift to 4th and point the car to the left rumple leaving full throttle. It is very difficult finding the exact braking point to make this through the fastest. I have had good time through the S turns wasted on either bad attempts at this turn or was passed by a slower time trying to be conserative at this point.

Turn 9 - I found that staying off the rumple and leaving this turn in second gear full throttle was the fastest way through. Unlike a lot of other cars this Nissan doesn't like going out to the left rumple strip either and slows down considerably.

Turn 10 (Hairpin) - What can I say. Approach fast, brake hard, glide in second, touch the rumple and get on full throttle as soon as you can without going wide right!

Turn 11 (Spoon) - After staying in the tire marks for the long sewwping right, you need to find the breaking point where you downshift quickly to 4th then 3rd then turn in getting on full throttle briefly, touching the right side rumple, breaking hard stying in the tire marks, touching ever sol slightly the left rumple and leaving the spoon full throttle to the next straight.

Turn 12 5th Gear turn) - I never got a chance to learn how to exit this turn the way the preview does. I basically look for the 100M marker on my right, ease off the throttle, turn in hard, and back on full throttle hoping I don't go off wide right into the run off.

Turn 13 & 14 (chicane) - Brake hard from 5th gear full throttle under the structure and downshift quickly into 2nd while looking for the rumple strip. Only slightly touch the rumple here and modulate the throttle. Take as much of the next rumple strip as you can without causing the car to bounce and get on full throttle sending you right and close to but not on the rumple strip.

Finishing - I stay to the right as much as I can shifting up at redline for each gear and letting the speed of the car carry it to the middle of the stright with little or no screech from the tires. Shift up for every gear to the finish.

I am going to get the video reply Max drive stuff so maybe soon I will be able to provide video.

BMWteamPTG
currently, im working on all of my licenses...but the supers i am having a little trouble with. when i first bought GT4, i bronzed all of the S'ers, but now, as im trying to improve my game, im working on it. if discussion continues, itll help too :)

There are those who post beaming on their accomplishments and leaving little or no information on how they got to that point. Please see my post on S12 License test and see if this give you some insight on how to beat it.

Have fun!

Back