Super Speedway 150 - Post Race Report

I hope Der Alta doesn't mind me borrowing his idea, but I figured that the more folks there are sharing their experience, the better. :D

Anyway, here goes:

After watching the preview a couple of times, I decided that my Camaro SS would be the best choice for this race. I had been using as my "money car" in the Amateur NA Cup Super Speedway race for some time, so I know what lines are fastest around the track. Also, the 370 HP I had brought it up to turns in lap times in the low 40 second range, which seemed about right with the competition.

My opponents for the race were a RUF CTR2, Spoon S2000, Motor Sport Elise, NISMO Skyline GT-R R-tune and Mine's Lancer Evolution VI. Qualifying didn't go as well as I'd hoped, mostly in part to the RUF which was exhibiting what has to be the worst display of driving I've yet seen out of the AI. The car's lap strategy was:

1: Rocket down the straightaway,
2: Enter at the high end of the turn and slam on the brakes, smoking all four tires,
3: Slow to about 100 mph and suddenly dart down to the inside of the turn, completely oblivious to traffic,
4: Mash the throttle and repeat from step 1.

I don't know if this was due to the RUF handling extremely badly, or if the driver was just an idiot or what, but but in any event I had the misfortune of getting caught next to this guy on my qualifying run and was knocked around quite a bit. I finally managed to get away from him long enough to get in a lap of 40.808, which was good enough for a 3rd place start. The RUF was 5th, no surprise really.

Pitting:

NISMO Skyline GT-R R-tune: 5 Laps
RUF CTR2: 6 Laps
Motor Sport Elise: 12 Laps
Mine's Lancer Evo VI: 14 Laps
Spoon S2000: 29 Laps

The Spoon S2000 ruined my pit strategy. Considering how long it takes to get in and out fo the pits at this track, I didn't want to come in until everyone else had and I had guessed that I could safely run 25 laps on the Super Slicks. But since the S2000 is lighter than my Camaro I guess he could make his tires last a little longer than me, and that made me change to a two-stop strategy at laps 35 and 70. And it turns out I was right about the tires, as the last 10 laps of each run were unbearable with the right front being ground down to the rim.

I think next time i'll just pit in at 25 laps anyway. Looking back the S2000 wasn't able to keep up that well, so I could catch him out on the track.

Final Results:

Total Time: 69'32.667

Spoon S2000: +3 Laps
Motor Sport Elise: +3 Laps
Mine's Lancer Evo VI: +6
Nismo Skyline: +9 Laps
RUF CTR2: +11 Laps

So all told it took a little over an hour, three sets of tires, four cans of Coke and 156 miles of wear on my Camaro to finish this race, and in return I got 200,000 credits, the Corvette C5-R I've been covetting for so long, and a little more percentage added to my game completion. Seems like a good tradeoff to me. :D

WTG. I like the big detailed writeups, Delray. Keep 'em coming!

When I ran the same race, it was the MS Elise that kept doing that. The RUF would to, but not as horrendously as the Elsie did. It's probably the easiest turn in all of GT3, too.

i have raced this race with my ruf rgt and my pagani race car, the pagani being the quicker one i beat the next best car which was the rgt by 26 laps, and i was doing 29-31 second laps with about 3 tyre changes. i finished the race in about 55 minutes.

the first time i won, i got the pagani, second time the polophony 001:D

maybe we could just take out any car with +500hp and mediums: u will win garenteed.

Thats my right up, and its alot shorter than yours.

Originally posted by troy
maybe we could just take out any car with +500hp and mediums: u will win garenteed.

Thats my right up, and its alot shorter than yours.

Well, some of us prefer to have something of a challenge. :P

I'll bet you just strapped a couple rubber bands around your controller and left the room for an hour, didn't you?

Originally posted by Delray Sandusk

Well, some of us prefer to have something of a challenge. :P

I'll bet you just strapped a couple rubber bands around your controller and left the room for an hour, didn't you?

wth! does that work!?

Delray:
Don't mind a bit if you steal the idea. I started doing the write-ups, because I couldn't find this info anywhere on the net. Excellent detailing. It helps out many people to know that you can run these races in a car that doesn't have 1000hp, and 100,000cr dumped into it. I ran Seatlle in a 444hp Camaro SS.

Check for my write-up on that one.

AO

I'll be sure to check that out, Der Alta. When I was running the Amateur Stars & Stripes I noticed that my Camaro made running both Seattle configs infinitely less painful, so I'm sure your experience will help me when I finally get the ambition to try the enduro.

Excellent write-ups from both of you, Der Alta & Delray Sandusk. It's a pleasure reading them. Thanks for your troubles.

I myself did the race with the Mercedes-Benz CLK Touring Car fully tuned, just to get the race done with, fast. I set it up so that it would have lots of oversteer. That way I wouldn't have to turn the car so much or brake. If I remember correctly I ran laps around '29 - '30 seconds. Minimizing the effort. I came away with a yellow Clio Race Car.

No, I think IA is fine. The Speedway was one of the first enduros I ran and I didn't get my S license until recently.

sweet Ill run it tonight. I plan on running it with my WRX full mods(maybe lowering turbos) and Ill let ya know what happens.:eek:

I ran it in a Corvette Z06, before I had maxed out the HP.... Won by a car lenght. ( I got the Cilio) Took the money and upgraded, the 'Vette, later, Reran it and won by 5 laps....

The close race was much more fun. But I got the C5R and may run it again, to see if I can get the F1..

I'll use a different car, else, it gets monotonus, and hard to stay awake.

Maybe I'll use one my many Skylines... I haven't gotten them tuned very well for handling yet so the Speedway will be a good run for them.

WRX'r: On the GT3 board index page, there are permanent threads at the top. One of these is the "Official NTSC and PAL prize car lists". These list all the cars and where they are won. I printed it out and I'm highlighting the cars as I win them.

Back