Super Unofficial DiRT 4 Thread (PS4/XB1/PC)

Well I suppose those videos answer my question about the pace notes. I guess it's not so bad considering I've been playing DiRT Rally for so long.

There's also the possibility of "Mystery" being a DLC placeholder, something I wouldn't rule out in this day and age.
Honestly, I think that's wishful thinking. Codemasters have taken a lot of criticism in the past for releasing half a game - for deliberately withholding content that could be included at launch so that they can sell some DLC later on. The Monte Carlo stages in Dirt 3 were a prime example of this. The game is less than six months from launch, so I cannot see the "Mystery" icon being a placeholder for content that Codemasters plan to include at release, because why bother hiding it? They don't have the WRC licence, we know they chose to cut Monte Carlo and Finland, and there aren't any events out there that would represent a major coup to be included (they have openly included Kenya, Corsica and the Acropolis in previous games). So unless they showed off an older build of the game, one where they knew that they would be including a sixth location but had not settled on it or needed to resolve a licencing issue, I can't see it as a placeholder for a secret location.

After all, in the AMA, Paul Coleman revealed that the five locations were chosen for five distinct surfaces:
  • Australia - heavy gravel
  • Michigan - light gravel
  • Wales - wet gravel
  • Sweden - snow
  • Spain - tarmac
I can't think of a sixth surface to complement the list, except maybe a mixed-surface event or a man-made surface like Jordan (the roads were sprayed with salt water from the Dead Sea; when they baked dry, the surface was diamond-hard).

No pre-order on Steam at the moment. I'm still debating on whether or not I should wait for reviews or to pre-order it.

Not sure why one would pre-order when the game is still pretty far off. Especially that it's a digital pre-order.

Not sure why one would pre-order when the game is still pretty far off. Especially that it's a digital pre-order.
That would probably be down to the option to pre-loading, Some seem to prefer digital over physical. Not my kind of thing really but I do know a few who like the convenience.

Ford Focus WRX confirmed!:eek:

C51oRn_WMAAx9RG.jpg

Pre-Order Bonus: Hyundai R5 :eek:

I was hoping the Special Edition would have had a documentary like the McRae one in DiRT Rally.

The WD-40 Fiesta R5 in that trailer is a car from last seasons BRC, would be cool to see some more livery content from that championship now it's finding its feet again.

As for RX we'll probably get all of the full-season entries from last year, with the possible exception of Larsson's Audi (I doubt they will make a car just for a privateer team, IMG seem to favour the works teams) and the EKS Audi's (Ekstrom did or does have a relationship with EA/NFS).

Toyota will never allow the ST205 to appear in a game, given its reputation.
Reputation? You mean the fact that they got caught using an illegal turbo restrictor plate and were therefore banned for 12 months from the WRC in 1994 - or was it 1995?

MXH
Reputation? You mean the fact that they got caught using an illegal turbo restrictor plate and were therefore banned for 12 months from the WRC in 1994 - or was it 1995?
Used the cheat in 1995 and was banned for 12 months through 1996.

Cheating or not, it would be sad to see the car left out. I can't remember the last time I saw it in a game.

Used the cheat in 1995 and was banned for 12 months through 1996.

Cheating or not, it would be sad to see the car left out. I can't remember the last time I saw it in a game.
If it was due to that, it would be a weak excuse frankly.

The ST205 was in Dirt 3 if I remember correctly. It was also in GT5 and 6. You can't have 90's rally cars without it.
It was in the original DiRT too, if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately the Hyundai R5 is a Bonus Car, but it will be the fourth r5 car in dirt 4!
Yeah, that's a shame. It won't affect my purchase decision, but still lame. Paul has been very active and transparent when answering questions and concerns on their official forums, as he explains below;
Yup, first let me caveat this with the fact that I'm not a huge fan of pre-order incentives but there are a few things to consider.

1) Those that pre-order a game pay a premium to do so. That's not to say that they pay more than list price but games do drop in price after launch and so it is important for publishers to incentivise people to pay the full RRP as much as possible.

2) It is also important for the publisher to get their pre-order numbers as high as possible as it helps build confidence with retailers which in turn means that the game gets more marketing and therefore exposure.

3) Some platform holders enforce publishers to make Pre-Order content available a set time after launch. Yes, there will be some discussion over pricing or whether it will be free but the content will almost certainly become available.

4) Considering points 1and 2, by the time that the pre-order car becomes available, its cost (if it has one) combined with the cost of buying the game at that point, are likely to be less (perhaps considerably less) than what the pre-order version will have cost.

5) I might get in trouble for saying this last point but here we go. Our publishers asked us to give them a car that they could use for Pre-Orders. Rather than taking a car from our existing list we pushed to get a new car added and that was the Hyundai. The Hyundai was not going to be in the game until Koch pushed us to add it, so it really is a bonus car and is the fourth R5 car.

I get that people don't like it and as a consumer I sit firmly in that camp too but I hope this goes some way to explaining some of the reasons for it.

Have they revealed all locations? I cannot imagine buying this game if there are no Finnish forests and Col de Turini.

Back