Survival Thread

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 343 comments
You guy's seen the video, it's friggin belt-fed. Like I said, you could always go bigger, but with the spray & pray approach of M249, unless it's against one of these:

200px-Mechagodzilla.jpg

I think you'll do fine.

I know that you guys are thinking more along the line of:

or how about:

Whatever! :lol:

Michael88
If I had to shoot oversized lizards with buckshot I would NOT want magnum buckshot. Its pretty funny that magnum buckshot has LESS penetration than standart buckshot, even though the pellets have more velocity the pellets are made of soft lead and the extra energy will make them expand more & faster, they'll flatten out faster - this results in LESS penetration. I would use plated standard buckshot, plated pellets dont expand as fast as pure lead buckshot.

Its still a very bad choice for defence against big critters, it would just piss them off. What is used against real life dangerous animals? Bear protection? Hardcast shotgun slugs and hard heavy long rifle bullets at moderate velocities. (.45-70, .458 winMag) . If I was stuck on a dino infested island I'd carry a dependable 45-70 lever action with a long tube (7+1 shots) some hot hardcast 510 grain bullets @ 1500 fp/s. Those drop bears with no problems.
Like a Winchester 1886 .45-70

Then forget the magnums then. It's all buckshot and slugs then.

Michael88
Dislike an Elephant rifle because 90% of them are doubles and sloooooow to reload. A properly loaded 45-70 can take elephant and it has 7+1 in the tank, I can also empty all 8 of them into the target in less then ten seconds.

Or what about a Desert Eagle .50AE or with .357 rounds? I heard those guns are made to take down big game like deers, moose and even a elephant also. Hunters use the Deagle sometimes and it can blow anything they're hunting down quicker than a shotgun or a rifle. :eek:

And the action express or any .50 caliber bullet is a strong projectile than can even knock down a person wearing armor. So maybe this gun can replace a shotgun if needed. 💡

a6m5
At this point, why not a mounted machine gun. M249 should do the job, or you can always go bigger. :rolleyes: :lol:
Michael88
Yeah, just keep hitting the same spot and you'll slowly plow through a T-rex! :dopey:

Or how about a RPG-7 rocket launcher or a M1A1 tank? Just aim and......FIRE!!!! :sly::dopey:

VashTheStampede
If you are going to go mounted, then why a M249? The M249 fires the 5.56x45mm round. With the mount, might as well step up and fire something with the 7.62x51mm round instead. Or if you are really feeling adventurous, the Ma Deuce is always an option.

Umm, what is a Ma Deuce?

Last edited:
Soooo...seems like I've got to bust some gun myths here.

Or what about a Desert Eagle .50AE or with .357 rounds? I heard those guns are made to take down big game like deers, moose and even a elephant also.
Hunters use the Deagle sometimes and it can blow anything they're hunting down quicker than a shotgun or a rifle. :eek:

While the Desert Eagle is chambered in powerful magnum rounds you DONT want to shoot a 20.000 lbs charging death machine with a pistol. Look at the pistol. And then look at the elephant. Just...no. A desert eagle chambered in .50AE is less powerful than an intermediate rifle round which is also NOT suited to take elephant.

Desert Eagle: .50AE 300 grains @ 1500 fp/s = 1500 ft /lbs
Intermediate rifle round: 7.62x51 168 grains @ 2750 fp/s = 2800 ft/lbs.
Shotgun slug: 2 3/4 shell one ounce (437 grain) @ 1600 fp/s: 2500 ft / lbs
Elephant rifle: .600 OK: 900 grain @ 2450 fp/s = 12000 ft/lbs.

See the difference? An Elephant rifle has 8 times the energy, 3 times the bullet weight and and MUCH MUCH more penetration than a Desert Eagle.
Even the shotgun slug has way more power than the .50 AE

And the action express or any .50 caliber bullet is a strong projectile than can even knock down a person wearing armor.
Nope, it cant. If it could knock person over it would also knock over the shooter. Simple physics. And the fat and slow bullet is weak against armor, fast and hard bullets is what you need for barrier penetration.

Last edited:
VspecZR1GT2RS89
And the action express or any .50 caliber bullet is a strong projectile than can even knock down a person wearing armor. So maybe this gun can replace a shotgun if needed. 💡

Umm, what is a Ma Deuce?

Take a physics class before you regurgitate some Internet BS you read on COD forums.

You cannot knock down a man with a bullet. It will hit you exactly as hard.

.50 Caliber is simply one measurement of a round, there are several different ".50 cals" that have completely different characteristics. Just because it has one shot kills in COD doesn't mean it's some miracle round like you imagine it to be.

The Internet is full of firearm experts who know nothing about ballistics and are more likely to shoot themselves than anyone else. Then naive video game players pick up the nonsense they spout and regurgitate it without bothering to understand it.

I award you no points.
:dunce:

Michael88
Soooo...seems like I've got to bust some gun myths here.

While the Desert Eagle is chambered in powerful magnum rounds you DONT want to shoot a 20.000 lbs charging death machine with a pistol. Look at the pistol. And then look at the elephant. Just...no. A desert eagle chambered in .50AE is less powerful than an intermediate rifle round which is also NOT suited to take elephant.

Desert Eagle: .50AE 300 grains @ 1500 fp/s = 1500 ft /lbs
Intermediate rifle round: 7.62x51 168 grains @ 2750 fp/s = 2800 ft/lbs.
Shotgun slug: 2 3/4 shell one ounce (437 grain) @ 1600 fp/s: 2500 ft / lbs
Elephant rifle: .600 OK: 900 grain @ 2450 fp/s = 12000 ft/lbs.

See the difference? An Elephant rifle has 8 times the energy, 3 times the bullet weight and and MUCH MUCH more penetration than a Desert Eagle.
Even the shotgun slug has way more power than the .50 AE

Nope, it cant. If it could knock person over it would also knock over the shooter. Simple physics. And the fat and slow bullet is weak against armor, fast and hard bullets is what you need for barrier penetration.

Zenith013
Take a physics class before you regurgitate some Internet BS you read on COD forums.

You cannot knock down a man with a bullet. It will hit you exactly as hard.

.50 Caliber is simply one measurement of a round, there are several different ".50 cals" that have completely different characteristics. Just because it has one shot kills in COD doesn't mean it's some miracle round like you imagine it to be.

The Internet is full of firearm experts who know nothing about ballistics and are more likely to shoot themselves than anyone else. Then naive video game players pick up the nonsense they spout and regurgitate it without bothering to understand it.

I award you no points.
:dunce:

I really do deserve a :facepalm: moment right now. :dunce:

Yeah, so it seems that the DE isn't a great as a so called primary weapon. So scratch that one off then.

Don't get me wrong, I know a nice amount of info about guns and how they operate. I'm still learning about them and their mechanics and I need to find better resources to read, espically on the internet.

And I'm not the typical COD weapons "expert" guy or hyping up a gun fanboy. I just like the Desert Eagle handgun, ever since using it on Syphon Filter 3, Metal Gear Solid 1 and Resident Evil 2 in the PS1 days.

Umm, what is a Ma Deuce?

Ma Deuce

EDIT:

You asked for my list a while back a6. I have no idea, as I likely would not do well with a zombie apocalypse. I do not have a pistol, shotgun, or rifle. The only thing I have going for me is that I learn quickly and I am not sure that is going to be overly helpful compared to actual survival training/hiking/camping/outdoors stuff that is not golf or fishing.

Last edited:
I'd rather have the best of both worlds, the M60E4, portable, can be fired from the shoulder, enough power to ventilate hordes of raptors and up to elk sized game: :drool: :sly:

The M60E4 is likely a much better choice, as the Ma Deuce is really overkill for anything short of an elephant or other really big game, unless you are talking extreme ranges.

EDIT:

You asked for my list a while back a6. I have no idea, as I likely would not do well with a zombie apocalypse. I do not have a pistol, shotgun, or rifle. The only thing I have going for me is that I learn quickly and I am not sure that is going to be overly helpful compared to actual survival training/hiking/camping/outdoors stuff that is not golf or fishing.

No problem, but it didn't have to be a zombie apocalypse or dino crisis. You could have chosen any disaster of your choice, even something like getting lost on a hike, etc.

In that case (lost on a hike . . . not likely though, I have a keen sense of direction :lol:), I would want the following:

• A lightweight tent and sleeping bag
  • Some kind of lightweight food packets that last for seemingly forever, like those you posted or MREs
  • Backpack water container thing full of clean water or nearly full
  • Some kind of lightweight, rugged warm clothes and boots (my Converse All Stars likely would not cut it) and a hat, definitely need a hat, and even though I do not wear sunglasses, sunglasses would likely be beneficial to have
  • NASA reflective warm blanket thing
  • Toilet Paper (Absolutely essential! :lol:)
  • Survival Knife and Flint
  • Maps and Compass, preferably maps with contours opposed to just a road map . . . road map would not be overly useful (a watch would be useful also, as I have no sense of time)
  • Basic first aid kit
  • To be determined

EDIT: That was not too hard to put together. I just needed a scenario, though I probably missed a few obvious things.

Last edited:
  • Maps and Compass, preferably maps with contours opposed to just a road map . . . road map would not be overly useful (a watch would be useful also, as I have no sense of time)
Most road maps offer some idea to the relief of the land. Never going to be as accurate, but you should be able to void major peaks with one.

That..... wasn't little ghay. That was Elton John ghay! :nervous: :lol:
In that case (lost on a hike . . . not likely though, I have a keen sense of direction :lol:), I would want the following:

• A lightweight tent and sleeping bag
  • Some kind of lightweight food packets that last for seemingly forever, like those you posted or MREs
  • Backpack water container thing full of clean water or nearly full
  • Some kind of lightweight, rugged warm clothes and boots (my Converse All Stars likely would not cut it) and a hat, definitely need a hat, and even though I do not wear sunglasses, sunglasses would likely be beneficial to have
  • NASA reflective warm blanket thing
  • Toilet Paper (Absolutely essential! :lol:)
  • Survival Knife and Flint
  • Basic first aid kit
  • To be determined

EDIT: That was not too hard to put together. I just needed a scenario, though I probably missed a few obvious things.
How did you get lost, if you already have the map, compass & keen sense of direction? :odd: :P

I read an article that NASA solar blanket is kind of useless, and will not keep you warm. Has anybody used it outdoors? I have always wondered about this, but thought that if it is a large enough blanket, you can just trap the warm air by wrapping yourself up with it like a sleeping bag......

TP, it goes without saying!

I'm glad you didn't have that habit on MW2. "Brett's winging it again, no, I think he's on Afghan". :lol:

I have seen that episode of Dual Survival. I feel warm just thinking about that shelter(seriously). :P

I typically did worse when we all played together on MW2. Azure and between either you or Forza, the two or three of you ate up all the kills; I always died trying to search for players on the other team and running into two or three respawners. I have not turned my PS3 on since finishing the MW3 Campaign and the only thing I miss about playing the PS3 is the GTP group play.

I picked up a set of these:
amazon.com
Outdoor Products 3-Pack Ultimate Dry Sack

Product Features
-Pack of three lightweight dry sacks; includes two, four, and eight liter sacks
-Soft and flexible rip-stop fabric with watertight roll-top closure for maximum compression
-Polyurethane coated with watertight, double-stitched, tape-sealed seams for waterproofing
-Designed for backpacking, kayaking, or adventure travel
-Not intended for full submersion

Keep your clothing, sleeping bags, electronics, and maps dry in these durable, yet lightweight dry sacks from Outdoor Products. This pack of three sacks includes a two-liter, four-liter, and eight-liter dry bag to keep important gear of different sizes protected in backpacks or duffle bags. Each bag is constructed with soft and flexible rip-stop fabric with watertight roll-top closures for easy packing and compression. The bags are polyurethane coated and boast watertight, double-stitched, tape-sealed seams to keep the water out, even if your bags tumble into the water. Light enough for backpacking and sturdy enough for boating, these bags may make all the difference between a wet versus dry night in the outdoors. Please note--while the dry sacks will keep water out of bags momentarily dropped in the water, they are not intended for full and extended submersion.

img.jpg

I got it for $10 at Walmart, and I thought it might be cool to throw in as a part of the in-progress survival pack. However, after reading the user feedback on amazon, it seems that stuff will get wet if it's exposed to too much water, and/or for extended period of time.

When it comes to rain, it's not "if", but "when" where I live, so rain-proofing is kind of important. When I do eventually buy a survival backpack, it must be water resistant. I guess at least I don't have to worry about dying of thirst. :lol: but might die of cold because all the firewood were soaked all the way thru!

I typically did worse when we all played together on MW2. Azure and between either you or Forza, the two or three of you ate up all the kills; I always died trying to search for players on the other team and running into two or three respawners. I have not turned my PS3 on since finishing the MW3 Campaign and the only thing I miss about playing the PS3 is the GTP group play.
Yeah, I've pretty much retired from the games after MW2. I really enjoyed being part of the [GTP] as well(sometimes sillier clan tags lol), but of course, what's not to like when your team is making the other guys look silly. :D That crazy win streak we went for & built that night(50+ ?), me, you, Azuremen, Icarus/Forza, RabiaEx and last, but not least, TimeAttack, that was pretty much the pinnacle of my online gaming career! :D:tup:

I still value PS3, but as a blu-ray & netflix player. Vital. :P

I have not stopped gaming, but instead moved to the PC. Battlefield 3 is incredible. If BF3 has taught me anything about surviving, then it is a L96 rifle and M1911 pistol are no match for a T90 or M1 Abrams. :lol:

In a survival scenario, if you run into a tank, you run like a mother trucker. :lol: unless you got danger close....

Nothing groundbreaking, but some useful tips in this video.

On somewhat unrelated note :D Looks like National Geographic's been cracking down on the channels posting Doomsday Prepper shows. Just a handful left on there now. I really liked that show. Damn.

Yesterday I saw a documentary about doomsday preppers - Nothing special you say? Sure but that film was about preppers in Austria! MY country! :scared:

I thought that kind of stuff is US-exclusive. Boy was I wrong, some people here even have multiple underground storage facilities for food, seeds, hazmat suits, and other essential stuff and try to learn to live off their land (which works pretty well in some cases!)

Interestingly those people are not prepared with guns and strongly dislike the idea of arming themselves with modern weaponry to defend their lives and goods. (good job brainwash-media! :ouch: ) I say, all of their preparations are useless if they can't even defend it.

The only difference between US and AUT (besides guns) seems to be that most of those DD-preppers are afraid of a 2012 alien invasion instead of zombies / pandemics. :P

The end is nigh!

Nothing groundbreaking, but some useful tips in this video.
*snip*

On somewhat unrelated note :D Looks like National Geographic's been cracking down on the channels posting Doomsday Prepper shows. Just a handful left on there now. I really liked that show. Damn.
I swear he's soaked that stuff in petrol first!

That's what I would be doing. Little gas would complement my fire starting skills for sure(or lack there of). :D

That tip about matches are dead on. Me and my friend had the same problem trying to play with firecrackers when we were in the third grade. It was soooo frigging cold! :lol:
Yesterday I saw a documentary about doomsday preppers - Nothing special you say? Sure but that film was about preppers in Austria! MY country! :scared:

I thought that kind of stuff is US-exclusive. Boy was I wrong, some people here even have multiple underground storage facilities for food, seeds, hazmat suits, and other essential stuff and try to learn to live off their land (which works pretty well in some cases!)

Interestingly those people are not prepared with guns and strongly dislike the idea of arming themselves with modern weaponry to defend their lives and goods. (good job brainwash-media! :ouch: ) I say, all of their preparations are useless if they can't even defend it.

The only difference between US and AUT (besides guns) seems to be that most of those DD-preppers are afraid of a 2012 alien invasion instead of zombies / pandemics. :P

The end is nigh!
I swear, they just focus on the crazies, as they make better TV shows. :dopey: With that particular Doomsday Prepper shows on National Geographic, I had wished that they balanced thing out a little bit. Some outlandish over the top wackos, then some sensible people preparing in very thorough, but practical manner.

Your comment about the Austrian anti-gun prepper reminded me of one episode I saw earlier this week. This gal is on the show. She advertises how she got the apartment right behind the Utah State Capital building. Then she goes on to tell the world how she invested something like $40, or $50,000 on storable food. And the best part, she doesn't have any guns. Said something like I'm a girl, so I'm not supposed to be good with something like that. :ouch: :banghead:

You are so smart, know something the population don't know about, so you are prepping? You go on a TV show, show everybody in your town exactly where your apartment is, how there will be tens of thousands of dollars worth of food stored, because there is a food shortage coming? Then to top it off, you tell them that you will be one chick with no gun? :dunce:

Some people you just know that they are stupid, and this is one of those. Thankfully, the TV show hooked her up with a firearm/security consultant to help her obtain the firearm, and learn to shoot it, but still....... I think should this food shortage thing really hit, she already pretty much signed her own death warrant!

OK, I was trying to find a youtube video on this survival fishing kit this afternoon. I was just curious if these kits were actually competent enough to catch a fish. Instead, I ended up here(this seem to happen a lot lol):

It seems that using firearm to fish is a no-no, and they are couple of goofy kids anyways, but I'm not gonna lie, I was intrigued. In survival situation, I could fish with my .22 rifle. :lol:

This next one, I'm actually disgusted by. Everybody commenting on the video seems to be cool with it:

WARNING: Very Graphic Content!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not gonna lie(I know, again), but only animal I've ever shot was a squirrel with my Daisy 720 fps pellet gun. I think I was 13 or something, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. It took three shots to kill it, then it fell into an unreachable section of this huge bush(no laughing please) that was in the backyard.

I clicked on this second video thinking about how someone could use a air-rifle for survival purposes. Maybe it's the guy's attitude, or something in his voice? He just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't see anything wrong with pest control, or hunting for food, per se. He is a good shot.

So I was watching an episode of Survivorman where he was on a life raft. First one had expiration date from six months ago. Everything looked good, then it sunk just two minutes later! Second one, the one that was actually used on the show, it leaked both on top & the bottom. Survivorman had a lot of fun on this episode. Leak problem is very common on these rafts according to the man.

Anywho, when the discussion moved to hydration, he mentioned these people who overcame dehydration by water enema. :crazy: I had heard about this technique before. You have some contaminated water, but it's not clean enough to drink. Hydrating through colon however, you won't get sick. :dopey:

I got curious, and this is what I found:
John B - deathvalleymag.com
MEDICAL: How a Tactical Enema Could Save Your Life

Anyone who has ever broken a sweat knows how important it is to stay hydrated. Dehydration of just 2-3% will decrease your endurance capacity by a whopping 25%.

Just sitting in front of the Xbox will cause you to lose dehydrate (mainly through respiration), and sit somewhere cold, you’ll dehydrate quickly as your body converts stored energy into free energy to shiver (plain old metabolism uses 1.5-2L of water a day, figure 2x-3x if you’re in a cold environment).

And all bets are off if you’re playing in the sandbox.

To rehydrate properly, you need a mix of salt and water, preferably in the same concentration that your body normally is – and if you can throw some glucose (sugar) in the mix for energy it’s a bonus, plus sugar makes a salt/water mix not taste like **** (actually glucose has some good hydration properties in itself and should be added in appropriate amounts, but that’s a different article).

For some reason, this combination wasn’t fully realized and exploited until the Florida Gator football team’s doctor came up with a good and marketable mix in the 60’s, you know it as Gatorade.

But let’s say your humping it out in your favorite sandbox, or you’ve “just gotten yourself turned-around” in the woods, and the Gatorade stand is a long way away.

Here’s an easy way to scratch together a decent energy-drink:

1L of water
¼ teaspoon salt
6 teaspoons sugar

Or in backcountry/survival terms:

1L water
1 packet of salt (from an MRE or your favorite fast-food restaurant)
6 packets of sugar

Salt and sugar packets are small and best of all free, and should be packed in your BOB or “boo-boo kit”. This method doesn’t taste great, but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to manage than carrying bottles of your favorite energy drink. And that little bit of salt will make you feel, and more importantly, perform a lot better.

Then to the point:

The Tactical Enema​

So now let’s say you’re with your dumb buddy who didn’t drink enough and is now dehydrated to the point of being stupid, or you’re teammate has some unnatural holes in his body and is pouring his fluids into the sand, and there isn’t a medic anywhere near.

You can make a “Ranger I.V.” for your buddy by mixing the contents above into a camelback/hydration carrier (preferably his). This next part is really going to define how good of friends you are. Remove or cut the mouth piece off, lube the now open end (you do have lube with your nasopharyngeal airway in your IFAK don’t you?) and stick the tube up his ass.

The colon is very good at absorbing water and salt, and short of an actual I.V., it’s also the fastest way to get fluid back into the circulation (the gut can only absorb about 250mL every 15-20 minutes). So, while it may not be the most glamorous of first-aid techniques, the tactical enema just may save your buddy’s life, or yours.

Death Valley Magazine

Try finding "Man vs. Wild - Pacific Island - Bear's Enema" on youtube. I always value Survivorman technique over Bear's, but he definitely pwn'd Survivorman in this battle. :lol:

Bonus entertainment:

I remember that man vs. Wild episode lol

I finally caught the full episode on Netflix. It was a very good one. 👍

I guess my question is: Do you rather drink your urine, or take your refill the alternative way. :sly: :lol:

I wanted to share this email I received from my electric company tonight:
Portland General Electric
If a winter storm hits Oregon, we’re ready. Are you?​

Outage Kit Basics:

As part of PGE’s commitment to safety, we are working to prepare for outages. We want you to be prepared, too. If an outage occurs, you can be prepared by having a kit together to meet your basic needs until we’re able to restore power.

What is it?
Outage kits are composed of all the things you need in the event that electricity is temporarily not available. An outage kit is also a great first step toward a more comprehensive emergency kit for use in a crisis or disaster.

What’s in an outage kit?
-A basic kit for a temporary outage should include:
-A flashlight
-A wind-up or battery-powered radio and alarm clock
-Batteries for flashlight, radio and clock
-A manual can opener

Here’s a handy checklist to get you started. And remember – you don’t need to get everything at once. You can break building your kit into steps to make it easier. At the store? Grab some extra batteries. Already have flashlights and can openers for camping? Set one aside for your kit.

Emergency Kit Basics:

In a crisis, those things we take for granted in daily life — like food, water, electricity and sanitation – can become survival needs. Predicting and planning for your family’s needs ahead of time can help minimize the effects of emergencies.

Putting together an emergency kit, and storing it in a central location can make life easier in an emergency.

FEMA’s readiness guide suggests preparing for 3-10 days of response and recovery time.

Here are some ideas for your kit:
-Water (1 gallon per person per day, include extra for pets) Less cumbersome solutions include water purification supplies or equipment as it weighs less if a water source can be located.
-Non-perishable food for you and your pets
-First-aid kit
-Prescription and over-the-counter medications
-Infant formula and diapers
-Sleeping bag and bedding
-Copies of insurance information, IDs, bank information, and family documents in a sealed waterproof container or stored electronically on a password protected/encrypted thumb drive.
-Cash (Paper money burns, metal money doesn’t – rolls of quarters)
-Changes of clothing for individual/family members (seasonal and should be adjusted for heat/cold)
-Disinfectant
-Personal hygiene items
-Matches in a waterproof container
-Batteries
-ating utensils, manual can opener, and/or mess kit
-Paper and pencil

Building an emergency kit can seem overwhelming – we recommend doing it gradually rather than trying to tackle it all at once. Next time you’re at the store, buy a few extra non-perishable items, like canned or dry goods, and make it a habit to add a few things to your shopping list each time until you have your supply. Be sure to include sealable storage containers and don’t forget to rotate outdated items (food, batteries, etc.).

Clothes headed to Goodwill? Set aside a change for your kit. There are lots of ways to break it down into steps and before you know it, your kit will be at the ready.

For more information, visit FEMA’s website, The Portland Bureau of Emergency Management’s Get Prepared page.