• 129 comments

SVX

The White Comet
Premium
New Zealand
Wellington
2002 Toyota Corolla GL - 15/08/2015 - 01/12/2019

It's been a long time coming. While it's not what some were expecting from me:

Now to await the inevitable SVX's Miata thread ;)

While it's not a sports car by any chance, it's still a car, and that's all that really matters. :)

And that car, is a 2002 Toyota Corolla GL:

24662513594_243705ec50_b.jpg

This model is the one and only trim of the Corolla wagon sold in NZ, GL being a base model. Known in Japan as the Corolla Fielder S.

Features a chain-driven 1.8 litre 1ZZ-FE producing 136ps at 6000rpm and 171nm at 4200rpm. This is coupled to a 4.312 five speed manual to the front wheels.

While the mileage is sort of high at 239,852km compared to other cars it's age here, it's a former company vehicle which produces lots of benefits maintenance wise. This includes regular servicing and maintenance of things that aren't generally done with a private owner. Despite this, it requires an oil change in the very near future due to the mileage already near the due time. Luckily, though, it'll be awhile before it reaches this due to not driving it at all due to me not holding a license yet.

To do:

- Replace rear main seal
- Replace throw-out bearing
- Repair/replace/debadge GL badge on bootlid
- Complete factory tool kit
- Replace fuel filter

Completed tasks:

- Replace clutch
- Replace missing centre console cupholder dividers
- Track down spring for folding back floor board
- Glue folding back floor board

- Repair rear bumper
- Install cabin air filter
- Replac both boot gas shocks
- Install larger battery and battery tray
- Replace shift boot
- Install driver's side mirror cover
- Install plastic trim piece in centre console
- Replace centre console hinge
- Replace and strengthen centre dash cubbie hole cover hinge
- Replace ash tray light
- Clean IAC sensor
- Clean throttle body
- Adjust idle speed (700rpm when warm)
- Replace clock light
- Replace cigarette lighter illuminated bezel
- Replace rear shocks
- Replace valve cover seal
- Replace indicator stalk
- Replace key (twice!)
- Refurb ignition barrel
- Purchase and install Bluetooth headunit adapter
- Repair cigarette lighter
- Replace driver's door stay
- Replace rear demister and A/C switch bulbs
- Replace passenger map light bulb
- Replace first and second boot cover panels
- Replace floormats for ones that actually fit
- Repair floormat stay clip
- Wetsand and UV coat headlights
- Replace boot scratch panel clips
- Replace driver's map light bulb
- Install new arch liner bolts and clip
- Replace centre console cubbie hole with armrest
- Correct paint
- Replace coil packs
- Install hands-free microphone
- Repair rust on roof (+ new windscreen)
- Replace boot trim floor
- Replace oxygen sensor
- Replace MAF
- Replace IACV
- Replaced missing bolt on manifold bracket
- Replaced missing clip on scuttle panel seal
- Replaced missing fabric on centre console floor

Pictures:

21049546480_5ff7ea2bef_h.jpg

21211414786_7e5fe5b51b_c.jpg

20614987714_2d9effa902_c.jpg

21049575780_8338a93d50_c.jpg

21211438286_13d464abef_c.jpg

21049606920_161efe0586_c.jpg

Last edited:
It's no MR2 but it's a freakin' Corolla. Corollas are awesome. At 240k it's only just run in! It's done further than my car and I'm on my second engine....

Love it. The photo of the 1.8 badge is sweet.

A manual wagon = mega cool.

Now let's organise a drag race with my Nissan Sunny and see who is the slowest.

Wait a minute, it's a 1.8 :eek: , I surrender already.

Your first car, regardless of what it is, in the moment, will be the coolest car you ever own. After all, coming from push bikes, public transport and legs, anything with 4 wheels is bound to be something special. Trust me, I'm proud to say I own some nice cars, but the coolest thing I ever owned was my base model 2000 Ford AU Falcon auto. I look back on the adventures and journeys me and my friends had in that clapped out old rig with a fondness nothing since could evoke.

The Corolla is actually a really good place to start. Bulletproof, economical, very practical, manual (:)), cheap to maintain and in pretty good shape. You'll have a blast in her mate! When you feel you're ready, that Miata or SVX can come calling, but for now, just enjoy getting your first true taste of freedom!

Do road trips, explore, learn and have fun with your car. Make it your pride and joy. Treat it like a $1,000,000 car, because the habits you create now will follow you forever.

Congrats on the ride mate, I guess I just want to say have fun with her and good luck! Look forward to seeing this thread progress! :cheers: :gtpflag: :cheers:

Last edited:
Appreciate the comments, guys. Over the moon with it, it feels so good to say 'my car'. :D

I've posted them around from time to time and occasionally mentioned it - but the fact is that my dad is in ownership of around fifteen Subarus of around the same vintage. They were originally imported around ten years ago in Japan for cheap, shipped over here, repaired, then sold here for about four times more than what it was bought for in Japan, just due to the incredibly high demand for Subarus in New Zealand ten years ago.

Thanks to life this didn't go as well as planned, and not all of them were sold and fixed, hence why he's had numerous low mileage sitting dormant for more than ten years. Due to interest - I've decided I'd try document progress of them, as well as documenting the collection.

1999 GT-B

Status: Damaged beyond (feasible) repair, most likely getting stripped later this year
Notes: Five speed manual, original wheels were donored to another car, fully loaded with satnav and audio control (something I haven't seen on another car)
Mileage - 6000km (!!!)

keLgjZh.jpg

RJOhYcP.jpg

PKnn8NG.jpg

'99 GT-B

Status - Was originally slated to be repaired, deemed to costly and was taken out before new side section was welded in. Engine is expected to be put in another car
Notes - I suspect it's an early 2000 sold as a '99, as it features the tiptronic transmission and illuminated gauge cluster. Also features a front lip which made it tricky to get off the transporter. Was a recovered stolen vehicle which meant to start it, it required a key. Once we charged the battery and repaired the stuck fuel pump it started first time after being stored in a workshop for ten years straight. Suspected headgasket faliure. Not bad!
Mileage - 79,000km

r0GMjvp.jpg

'99 B4 RSK

Status - Was bought in NZ, and was planned to be put back on the road due to not needing to be registered or certified (a very expensive and difficult procedure), but due to the nature of the work needed it was canned and will be stripped in the near future.
Notes - Just a shell. In an attempt to repair the chassis it was sent to a panel beater and promptly used on their brand new machine. Was sent back after it broke the machine (IIRC). :lol: Tiptronic.
Mileage - Unsure. If anyone really wants to know I can look up the plate.

gH8fLCv.jpg
ASrFsHc.jpg

'97 GT-B

Status - Was bought as a buy one get another half price due to being unknowingly water damaged, hence not allowing it to be reregistered. Will be stripped and used as a parts car. Engine needs work with bent valve rods.
Notes - Came with genuine OZ Superlageras. Automatic.
Mileage - Just under 50k.

AJLpC3W.jpg

5frIBRq.jpg

OkJEfcF.jpg
W07kWJW.jpg

'96 Impreza

Status - Was originally brought in to be my mothers' new car but required too much work, and thus put on the back burner. Probably won't be repaired but instead the engine will be put in another car later down the track (she has another, newer Impreza now anyway). Other than the new chassis rails needed the body is actually pretty straight. No rust, no engine problems.
Notes - Has a full set of genuine BBS wheels. Auto. 1.8 litre non turbo (GF6).
Mileage - 35k.

BwzVQY1.jpg

IQ728nu.jpg

'99 GT-B

Status - Like the white one, this car also had received extensive side damage. Unlike the white one, repairs hadn't started. Due to the expensive costs we decided to buy another GT-B that had a blown engine and replace it with the low mileage engine from this. Now just feeds parts to other cars before it gets scrapped.
Notes - Came with Tommy Kaira front kit, rear kit and bonnet. Sold the front kit, and are trying to sell the rear. Also has a massive exhaust. Manual.
Mileage - formerly 48k.

5XeYqWw.jpg
PAHdCoy.jpg

'92 SVX

Status - Unknown. Currently requires recertification for road use due to the previous owner allowing the registration to lapse. Recertifying a car is very strict and may mean it ends up being scrapped or sold in this state, or simply fixed. Had a full repaint years ago but due to being stored outside you'd never be able to tell. :indiff:
Notes - Original automatic, when the silver GT-B is sold and the ones needing to be stripped are stripped this will be on the agenda to decide it's fate
Mileage - 118k

et6LCY3.jpg

'98 GT-B

Status - Next project after the after mentioned cars are sold and stripped. Just a shell - white car from earlier is slated to donor the engine and most parts due to same colour. Was a recovered stolen vehicle.
Notes - Automatic.
Mileage - Unknown

QzB7RcE.jpg

FBO7AM0.jpg

'97 GT-B

Status - Damaged beyond repair. Was initially a parts car.
Notes - A bird one day managed to get in and poop everywhere. :yuck: Owned for over 13 years. Automatic.
Mileage - 104k.

xhr20Kr.jpg

'94 GT

Status - Unknown. Most likely to be repaired at some stage due to not needing a huge amount of work. Was originally our daily driver until the primary turbo was suspected to be failing.
Notes - Was the first car of the 'business'. Features a full leather interior which I have not seen at all on this generation. Originally bought in NZ. Auto.
Mileage - Somewhere around 120k I presume.

sp3ZuT5.jpg

T7LcqSR.jpg

SYIgjKQ.jpg

'96 GT-B

Status - Unknown. Somewhat low mileage for the age so may be brought back on the road. Or may be stripped and the engine repaired.
Notes - Other car to be bought with the 'deal'. Bent valve rods. Auto.
Mileage - 106k

ojhpsge.jpg

'00 GT-B

Status - For sale.
Notes - Was bought with the engine in the boot. Engine from the Tommy Kaira car was put in, and then other jobs were done to put it back on the road. Manual. Valeted by yours truly.
Mileage - Engine, 50k, Chassis, 158k

kDFWeYd.jpg

Q6moipk.jpg

And that wraps up the impromptu display. While that's not all of the cars we've owned, or even own in general, it's all I can really access as of not. If you have any questions fire away!

Last edited:
A very interesting collection of cool old Subies your old man has assembled! It's good to see progress being made in getting them dealt with. If the '00 GT-B is anything to go by, the rest of the cars slated for ressurection are sure to end up very nice indeed 👍

Now you need to itasha wrap the Corolla.

Don't tempt me! haha

Which derelict Legacy is your favorite?

Hard question.

I'd have to say the 6000km example. It has all of my favourite features - leather interior, dark granite trim, etc. I also love how it has some weird options which I hadn't heard of before such as a 'audio control system' or something, which is some special options just for the audio. The '94 GT has a huge place in my heart due to the sheer amount of memories from it - I grew up and around that car. :D

A very interesting collection of cool old Subies your old man has assembled! It's good to see progress being made in getting them dealt with. If the '00 GT-B is anything to go by, the rest of the cars slated for ressurection are sure to end up very nice indeed 👍

I'm pushing him as hard as I can. :lol:

Oh man...

Never have I wanted any Subaru more than a GT-B wagon after reading this thread.

And now it made me want to own a subaru...hopefully all of them will be fully repaired (well at least the repairable ones).

Congrats on your first ever car btw!

EDIT: and for some reason....I just spotted a white 3rd gen Legacy parked...:P

Last edited:
It may be dusty, it may have a downright trillion of miles in it, but your first car could not be a more reliable partner. As others have said before me, a Corolla will last eons if you let the car live properly, and with the owner that it currently has, I'm sure it'll last at least two or three hundred thousand miles. It's amazing how well the shape is, considering how long it has been driven, but that just shows you that Toyota cars are built to last.

As for the Pielades Collection, that SVX has to be my favorite. It just stings that it's tricky to have it recertified, because it would be a shame if the car had to be scrapped, it's in decent condition for a dusty SVX. It's a car worth saving, in my honest opinion.

Anywho, best of luck for your new life with the Corolla, and be sure to keep us updated on its story as much as you can. :)👍

First things first, I'm happy to announce the manual '00 Legacy is now sold. Finally can get all of our family's dailies in the drive now. :lol: After talks with my parents apparently the next vehicle to get prepped, shockingly, is a Mitsubishi. But not any Mitsubishi, a truck! It's a 1991 Mitsubishi Canter with a 2.6 litre 4G54 modified to run on LPG. Vehicle itself doesn't need much work, it needed a rebuild of the hydraulic ram for the rear lifting tray, but as far as I know the rebuild is mostly complete. Hoping to get the batteries charged and start it up over the holidays - dad had operation after having a hernia so things are just being taken easy at the moment.

Some progress of the Corolla has also been made. For my birthday I received most of the smaller things I needed to complete the interior. Things such as trim pieces, and the like. Over the past few weeks I've been installing them and making any rectifications that were needed, such as the assumed lost seat rail cover turning up under the seat!

IMG_0051.JPG

First job was to make the car symmetrical again. Seeing the true colour of the car was a shock - unexpectedly it's an incredibly deep and metallic red which is not done justice at all with my photos. The difference a clean example of the paint is shocking - they look like entirely different shades, even though they're the same! After I finish tidying up the interior (more on that in a second) I'm planning to give it a nice bath, including a polish and a wax.

IMG_0231.JPG

Second area of attack was the interior. It wasn't really noticeable in the pictures, but the interior was filthy. While I was taking the interior out I decided to do the jobs that needed attending to in the interior. The first thing I did was take out the centre console. The compartment hinge was broken, and later was found out that a pin that is used for securing the trim piece to the rest of the interior had snapped off, and was later found on the carpet. That, and it was in serious need for cleaning. One of the first things I noticed when I got the car was the fact there was some sort of residue inside the compartment around the bolts - I suspect soda could have been spilt but never cleaned up, leaving the entire storage sticky and incredibly grotty. While this was out I took off the shift boot as it had a rather large hole in it.

With these things taken out I decided to quickly replace the lid for one of the compartments in the centre of the dask, under the stereo. The lid was cleaned (the replacement wasn't brand new) and installed. Even though it was a small job I was rather happy with the application of it, it made the interior look so much more complete.

With the centre console out I decided it could be a good idea to give the interior a thorough vacuum, as well as taking the seats out for weight reduction bro more concise cleaning. There were a few stains, and with a suggestion from @Davis using diluted citrus cleaner, they came out. I can't stand dirty carpets so doing this was a considerable success for me.

With the interior cleaned I then went on to cleaning the centre console and installing the replacement parts. The grottiness of the compartment lead me to even scrubbing the bolts themselves as they had evolved from the original gold to a sticky charcoal brown.

IMG_0681.JPG

With this done it meant for the interior to simply be put back together:

IMG_0680.JPG

Seeing the interior clean and together for the first time since ownership made my day. Feels like an entirely new car now.

Last job was to put my new keychain on the key which I also happened to get for my birthday:

IMG_0682.JPG

It simply is a joy working on this car, everything just so easily is taken apart and put back together. Nice change to the billions of small, fragile clips you get with Subarus.

Now all that's really left is cleaning. Hoping to clean the actual interior trim and boot within the holidays.

Oh, and I'd like to put these on at some stage too: :dopey:

IMG_0145.JPG

Brand new Mazda rims on a Toyota? Such heresy! :eek: :lol:

Joke aside, great update. It brings a smile to my face seeing you and the enjoyment that get from working on your car. It is interesting to see that a few bits here and there are making the car look almost brand new, in comparison with the time the 'Rolla Wagon joined your driveway. :)👍

I guess that this is the charm of owning an used Toyota...

And it starts. Finding all the broken and missing bits in your car can take a while to complete but well worth it. Been working on my car 7+ years and still not finished but I'm very close to being there.

Just knock out the centre cap on the Mazda and 3D print a new custom 'SVX Special' :lol:

IMG_0757.JPG

Earlier in the week we received an offer for the white E Tune. The person was keen on buying it as a donor vehicle - just like how we bought a complete Legacy minus an engine, he was trying to do the same. With this in mind my dad set out to confirm whether it was a head gasket issue or not, as last time we worked on it, it was suspected that it had failed after water and steam coming out of the exhaust, and oil found in the coolant.

We started with a compression test. The results were nothing too extreme, with 155 psi. on cylinders one, three and four, but a weirdly higher reading on the second with a 160 psi. reading. With this we took it down to either one of two things. Either the head gasket had blown, which seemed unlikely after the compression readings not being that irregular, or the sealant on the inlet manifold had gone. After a few revs we noticed some sort of liquid coming out of the radiator and discovered it was cracked! We put this down to the impact the car received from the rear - the same cause of the broken engine mount we assumed.

IMG_0780[1].jpg

After some problems were addressed with hesitance to start - a sticky IACV valve which is a common problem on boxers, and removal if corrosion on the contacts of the coil attached to the spring within the rubber tube on the coil packs, and the discovery of a broken water hose which was duly fixed, we decided to try out some combustion leak fluid to completely rule out a blown head gasket. The original blue colour discolured to a dark green. Expecting the worst, we removed the cylinder two spark plug to remove the pressure and add some head gasket repairer. That ended up repairing the radiator crack, which also in turn made the steam worse with the added amount of water pressure now allowed to flow through.

So with that, we confirmed it does indeed have a head gasket issue, which is a real shame, as the car idles incredibly smoothly and the entire engine is absolutely mint after being in storage for around ten years. Things such as the coolant reservoir which normally showcases rust after a design fault where any overflow sits on top of the reservoir and puddles, causing rust, has no rust at all, same with the turbo shields.

This leaves the question. We have this, which can be repaired, or we can choose to use an engine we have had laying dormant for a few years, which, despite being undercover is a bit worse for wear but does not have any engine problems.

The highlight was hearing the Legacy minus a sparkplug... sounded like a tractor. :lol:

Last update was five months ago, but fret not, things, quite a lot of them actually, have happened. I'll start off the catch up with the rebirth of our truck.

The truck was purchased back in 2009 minus a tray for something crazy like $1900. 1991 Mitsubishi Canter, 2.6 litre EG54 inline four, chain driven, five speed manual, modified to run on LPG/Propane. Ex-council vehicle, so plenty of background information and work done to it, much of it for the worse (I'll get to that in a sec). 170,000 kms - basically a brand new vehicle by work truck standards.

Was mechanically fine, all it needed was a tray and a bit of TLC and it would be on it's way, right? Well, no.

The donor truck was purchased about a year after, and was worked on. Tray was in alright nick, needed a bit of touch up here and there but overall it wasn't bad for an entire working truck for $1000. Engine had a suspected blown head gasket (the drive back was interesting - needed 10 minute stop intervals to refill with water. On a 7 hour drive). Culprit turned out to be the thermostat and water pump (afaik), and after those were replaced it ran great. Was sold minus tray and hydraulic ram (which needed rebuilding) for a grand. Pretty under priced but my dad couldn't really say no to someone actively wanting it.

Hydraulic ram was taken off to be rebuilt, and the tray was (sort of) installed onto the truck. Truck sat for awhile while the ram was being rebuilt. Fast forward to 2015, the hydraulic ram is rebuilt and just waiting to be assembled and put back together, and the truck sitting. Over this time, naturally, the truck had began to deteriorate. It had been started numerous times during it's hibernation but it wasn't the nicest of running vehicles. Rust had began to set in (very prone for Canters), and the engine had began to misfire. Dad replaced the distributor which helped the start up tenfold, but as he was replacing the spark plugs, one snapped, and the myriad of competency of the prior mechanic began to unfold...

12821950_821531954619194_1189809635_n.jpg

With the truck back home, the engine was dismantled. I set out to repaint the air filter casing and stand and clean up the rocker cover, while my dad set out to slowly cut out the spark plug from it's hole. Turns out it was incorrectly positioned when installed - causing it to cross thread. Oh dear indeed. While the rocker cover was off, engine extensively cleaned, hydraulic lifters taken out and discovered were faulty - these haven't been replaced yet due to none being in stock - mainfold taken off, remounted correctly, cleaned, exhaust taken off and repaired (there was a leak). While we were here we discovered the mechanic had installed the head with washers and bolts jammed between the head and block. These were removed.

24759302293_19ca61e848_h.jpg

Since this there has been some rust treatment of the chassis and underneath, with further needed, plus some welding on the tray. Things such as the hydraulic ram to be reassembled and installed, new hydraulic lifters to be bought and installed, and a really good tidy up of the interior and exterior, and hopefully it should be on it's way. I try to start it once a week to make sure everything is running well and the batteries stay charged. If there's enough interest I'd be happy to record a video.

That's it for tonight, stay tuned for some progress reports our familiar favourites!

Last edited:
Now, time for another long overdue update: the Tommy Kaira car has now been scrapped, with the rear kit bumper sold to a chap in the South Island, as it no longer had any use to us, plus we needed it's spot on the driveway for something else. ;)

When it arrived at my brother's lockup for stripping:

nhblkp6.jpg

Three hours later (we even gave away the petrol!):

woNVdiY.jpg

With one less car to worry about, focus then shifted to what the replacement vehicle would be in it's spot.

8NiJBgC.jpg

UQ8gKWr.jpg

After a thorough scrub:

uyylRmB.jpg

vEhuv5b.jpg

The tyres were re-inflated, battery charged and petrol tank filled, which then left us with the chance to finally take it out on it's first proper drive. Quickly into the drive I noticed an interesting warning light on the cluster - but seeing it was a Japanese import, obviously it was in Japanese. I quickly translated it and it turned out that the fuse for front wheel drive lock was plugged in the fuse box! The fuse is used in instances of diagnostics or dyno tuning, and basically locks the four wheel drive system into front wheel drive only - which explained the interesting handling characteristics. The fuse was pulled out and driving went well. For a car that had remained dormant for so long, it was a positive outlook. A caliper was slightly seized, and the four wheel drive system is not working entirely, but we suspect, at least with the differential system, more driving will help. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind. ;)

Since then, a lot of diagnosing and problem fixing has occurred:

• Fuel gauge not working
    • Sender unit replaced as severely gummed up
  • Won't start; no fuel
    • Fuel pump and fuel tank replaced as severely gummed up. The attempt at repairing the fuel pump was a story in itself... a spark trying to activate the fuel pump in a container of acetone ignited the acetone and just about burnt the entire house down. Entire corner of the garage was on fire! :eek:
  • Engine miss fire
    • Spark plug electrode bridged, cleaned all spark plugs.
  • Design fault in replacement (by previous owner) radiator - catching on underside of bonnet
    • Radiator inlets and pipes were remounted, and then cleaned up with a spray of satin black
  • ECU code 21 - temperature sensor fault
    • Temperature sensor already replaced. Fault was traced to a bad connection on the ECU plug.
  • Grinding noises coming from the front of the engine when idling
    • Power steering and air conditioning idler pulley bearings were noisy - so they were stripped, and removed dust seals and repacked - grease.
  • Whining noise coming from left hand side of engine when idling
    • Removed cambelt covers and the noise was traced to a noisy water pump.
    • Also noted that the crankshaft pulley has come loose at one stage, damaging the timing belt cover, keyway on crankshaft and key as well as crankshaft timing belt gear. Repacked idler bearings, replaced water pump and cambelt, replaced timing belt cover, repaired crankshaft timing belt gear and replaced key.
While half of the rear end was in pieces (removing the 70 litre fuel tank required for the rear subframe to be dropped, exhaust pipe removed, driveshaft removed) an assortment of parts were treated for rust and repainted. Not a single patch of rust on the actual body which is commendable for sure.

Now, for some progress shots:

IwRq5NG.jpg

GQ1K28w.jpg

VjC3UcJ.jpg

FBzjQ2U.jpg

I need to update this thread more regularly.

Last edited:
The amount of problems is too complicated to me. Hopefully it will be fully restored in the future.

Also I must have forgotten Something because why there are subaru's everywhere in the shots?

Also I must have forgotten Something because why there are subaru's everywhere in the shots?

That happens because SVX's father works with many Subarus as a car mechanic. He doesn't work for the brand, but he admires its cars, so he and SVX take their time restoring and/or selling many Subaru cars...

It started out as more of an investment idea early on. Back when the majority of these cars were imported - some nearly 15 years ago, importation was a relatively new prospect with not much established on how people could actually go about doing it. This left cars like Subarus still decently rare and therefore able to cost a premium. My dad was able to import near new Subarus and then go on to fix them up for a small fee and then make a massive profit - some were closing at $20,000 sold. Here's a piece of paper explaining the costs (back then):

image.jpeg

This was for a Cefiro that was about three years old at the time if I recall correctly with around 20,000km.

Back