TAG Heuer Branding Disappears From Gran Turismo Sport

TAG-Heuer: I don’t feel so good, Mr. Yamauchi...

EDIT: As much as I'll miss the immersive imagery (especially the watch counting down when entering a race), I heard TAG-Heuer doesn't even make that great of a watch, and they're more sponsorship than substance. I wonder if GT will return to using Seiko? That said, other brands I'd like to see would include Breitling, Citizen, and Casio. (I think at least one of the Gr.2 cars with the RCF has Casio sponsor decals on it, too.)

EDIT2: I also wonder what was really offered to who, here. My guess is that TAG-Heuer offered GT/PD some monies in exchange for putting their image all over the place, right? But I didn't think it'd be something temporary like this - could it be that sponsorships are less like a lump sum up-front, and more like a subscription they pay? Maybe TAG-Heuer is re-allocating its sponsorship money due to financial trouble - especially in the current state of things - or maybe it was the plan to only financially support GTS for nearly three years from the get-go, with the next GT potentially coming soon. Yeah, I could see it being that TAG-Heuer was paying GT/PD a certain amount of money per month or year, or it being in the contract for them to only support GT/PD for so long, before the contract naturally expires, which could've also been planned to dovetail with the next GT's release window.

Last edited:
I guess I won't feel like such a rebel anymore for supporting a competing watch maker.

49325334643_ecb8d47263_b.jpg

I guess I won't feel like such a rebel anymore for supporting a competing watch maker.

49325334643_ecb8d47263_b.jpg
I personally have a Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave that my parents bought me in the Caribbean. It's quite nice.

Not sure about this Tag-Heuer being the first official Gran Turismi timekeeper... I remember in GT1/GT2 results screen, there was SEIKO labelee as the official timekeeper.

Furthermore, Tag-Heuer was also the official timekeeper of some of the old F1 games in the 90s.

I think I remember it in GT3 and GT4, too. I wonder how the sponsorship deal was with Seiko, anyway? Was TAG-Heuer really the first "official" timekeeper? If so, I wonder what determines that status? I bet it has something to do with how much sponsorship money is involved, haha.

Not sure about this Tag-Heuer being the first official Gran Turismi timekeeper... I remember in GT1/GT2 results screen, there was SEIKO labelee as the official timekeeper.
That's why it says "first official watch", not "first official timekeeper" in my article :D
Furthermore, Tag-Heuer was also the official timekeeper of some of the old F1 games in the 90s.
That one you can take up with TAG Heuer:
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5171798.html

Good timing if they've got a new sponsor for the new game which might get announced within a couple of weeks. Maybe they've bagged likes of Rolex or IWC.

I don't understand the difference - are you referring to that GT Sport smartwatch?
Not really, no.

I wouldn't worry about it though - it's all marketing fluff - but a timekeeper specifically keeps time. According to the original official release, TAG Heuer's timing solutions were part of GT Sport's timing system (which begs the question about why it's so rubbish dealing with pit stops), thus it was the official timekeeper of the game. The partnership also made it the official watch of the game, but that didn't specifically refer to any one particular watch.

It's like Coke is the "official fan refreshment" of NASCAR. That doesn't mean you buy special Coke NASCAR, or that Diet/Cherry/Vanilla Coke or Coke Zero isn't an official soft drink because it isn't regular Coke.

A few years back in F1... the official watch was Hublot (yuck) and the official timekeeper was LG... yeah LG.

The reasoning is that Hublot is a brand that sells ugly large $10k automatic watches to Bernie Eccleston but the reality is that race "timekeeping" is more and electronic, electro-optical skill that is suited to an engineering giant like LG.

I believe Heuer, Omega, Rolex are all big time motorsport watch brands but its just a marketting excerise really.

Making $10k luxury automatic watches has no synergies with the dry electronics needed to actually time race cars on a track.

COmpanies that do industrial automatation, measurement, instruments are more suited to that.

Always found it weird watch sponsors sell high end analog watches but the sports they sponsor always show a digital clock.

I understand it's a target demographic thing but I never saw the connection between sports timekeeping and expensive watches.

A partnership like this will have a stated contract length. It therefore goes, in a Coronavirus free world, the FIA World Tour events will have been planned knowing Tag Heuer wouldn’t be part from May onwards.

Given the in-game prominence. PD would want to announce any replacement with some fanfare. That makes more sense in conjunction with the reveal of GT7.

With the increased profile of sim racing. I’m sure they’ll have a slew of partners lined-up.

Always found it weird watch sponsors sell high end analog watches but the sports they sponsor always show a digital clock.

I understand it's a target demographic thing but I never saw the connection between sports timekeeping and expensive watches.
Well, the connection is the precision engineering behind such high-end watches and race cars. Plus, of course, there was a time before digital timing.

Its not surprising that there seems to be a disconnect with luxury watches and sports.

Omega I believe is still the sponsor of the Olympics but really, what use is an automatic analog chronograph in sport timing or any aspect of daily life.

You're better off with a Casio neck lanyard digital stopwatch.

I also feel that Heuer moving to iRacing isnt surprising... they would have asked for what Microsoft called "MAU" or monthly user access and what their engagement with the audience is and right now with the lockdowns, iRacing seems to be THE platform.

Why would anyone partner with PD given that GT Sport is obviously on the home stretch and PD clearly have not engaged with increasing audience numbers in this crisis effectively.

PD would be better off trying to get Casio Seiko of Citizen or even Sony's own smart watches (if they ever get there) on the next instalment.

Sony getting into the smart watch market and THEN tying in with PS5 and GT7 would be the smart move (so to speak)... so this will never happen lol...

Wow, I can’t help but think: how would they do that when it was like 15 years ago? I mean, in Gt1 or Gt2 the sponsorships can never be deleted....

That being said. Don’t really care. I mean this opens up sponsorships for other compagnies.

I dont think this has much precedence. I remember a few games had sponsorship from FCA, Jeep Chrysler Dodge and their crappy cars are still in the game 'til the end of time.

I've never heard of a deal ending and then being scrubbed.

I believe Heuer, Omega, Rolex are all big time motorsport watch brands but its just a marketting excerise really.

In the real world...

http://www.tagheuer-timing.com/en/race-timing-systems-solutions

.. they give you their timing gear, you promote their watches.

In the virtual world...

... they give you money and you promote their watches.

It's a gimmick in racing games to make it appear more like the real thing.

It's precisely ZERO use to GTS to have a timing partner for any other reason. May as well have someone providing the official butt-scratchers of GT Sport.

Sad if you ask me.

I remember my indifference when Tag Heuer was announced as the 'official watch and time keeper'.

As a GT fan of over fifteen years, it's becoming a bit depressing to follow the gtplanet news articles, especially since they started covering other racing games. Perhaps it's my 'grass is greener' mindset, but whilst other games seem to release the latest and most sought after cars, and incorporate interesting and innovative game mechanics such as the season cycle in Forza Horizon, PD appears to be stuck trying to tie down the best 'official watch and time keeper, or official FIA accreditation. News articles relating to GT Sport tend to be about updated time trials, updated daily races, gtplanet photo or livery competitions, or random corporate partnerships that have no bearing on content or gameplay, and that's going right from its release. We were all excited about the mileage store, but it feels like they gave up on doing anything interesting with that practically from the moment the game was released.

It doesn't feel as if their heart is in creating the most exciting game any more.

Sad if you ask me.

I remember my indifference when Tag Heuer was announced as the 'official watch and time keeper'.

As a GT fan of over fifteen years, it's becoming a bit depressing to follow the gtplanet news articles, especially since they started covering other racing games. Perhaps it's my 'grass is greener' mindset, but whilst other games seem to release the latest and most sought after cars, and incorporate interesting and innovative game mechanics such as the season cycle in Forza Horizon, PD appears to be stuck trying to tie down the best 'official watch and time keeper, or official FIA accreditation. News articles relating to GT Sport tend to be about updated time trials, updated daily races, gtplanet photo or livery competitions, or random corporate partnerships that have no bearing on content or gameplay, and that's going right from its release. We were all excited about the mileage store, but it feels like they gave up on doing anything interesting with that practically from the moment the game was released.

It doesn't feel as if their heart is in creating the most exciting game any more.
Dont be that sad. Sponsorship come and go. That's how most sponsorship term works, it's tied with some time window.

Laguna Seca didn't just die or demolished because they lost Mazda Sponsorship. And it also applies to many other tracks, racing teams, and games.

I remember when Gran Turismo 4 has Seiko Sponsorship instead. Not sure about the watch Sponsorship for GT5 or GT6, though I remember when GT6 is being sponsored by MoTEC instead. Still most indication will point out that PD is now focusing on the next Gran Turismo and who knew what next new sponsorships and partnerships it will announce.

Last edited:
But the difference is all the Heuer content is all gone. Even on a historical basis it would be nice if it was still accessible somehow and I dont even like Heuer.

Disappearing content, without notice, even if its poor content (IMO lol) isnt something that people are accustomed to.

Back