Team Shmo Drifting - Mazda MX-5 Miata V-Special Type II (NA, J) ’93

• Thread starter shmogt
  • 117 comments
GT6 Photography Top 10 Tips

Gran Turismo 6 as well as previous version of the Gran Turismo games have had a photo mode. This mode allows you to get a car and take a picture of it. It doesn't sound useful towards the game, but the mode goes into so much detail about photography that it becomes really fun. All the pictures on this site (except main Team Shmo banner) are from in game photo mode. As I am sure you have noticed the pictures look amazing and a tiny bit of computer editing really puts them over the top. There is no reason why you can't take beautiful pictures too.

Here is my Top 10 Tips for getting the best shots that will impress even the most skilled photographers. Very easy to do and will instantly improve your photos. Before we start there is an actual photo mode in the main menu way over on the right hand side or after you do a race, watch the replay, press start and press the green camera button.
I learned this and more with the GT5 guides, but you've hit very well on the most important topics. I encourage everyone who goes into the photomode at all to read this. These tips in my opinion are a MUST, otherwise your photos will look pretty generic or worse.

Dodge Charger 440 RT 70

Classic muscle car and a badass drift car. Lots of power to drift around the corners and looks awesome when doing it. Not the hardest car to control, but still got to watch out here and there. I tried to keep it a little soft so the suspension could absorb some of the power and keep you on the track. Don't have too many muscle drift cars making this an excellent addition to my garage. Best part is I have a racing version of this same car.

P.S. I also have a race version of this car

XS
I learned this and more with the GT5 guides, but you've hit very well on the most important topics. I encourage everyone who goes into the photomode at all to read this. These tips in my opinion are a MUST, otherwise your photos will look pretty generic or worse.

Yes, like I mentioned at the end of the article to learn more go to that guide. There is really only so much you can say, but I figured mine as well make a much shorter guide for people to read. I might make a how to edit guide too, not sure yet.

Yes, like I mentioned at the end of the article to learn more go to that guide. There is really only so much you can say, but I figured mine as well make a much shorter guide for people to read. I might make a how to edit guide too, not sure yet.
THAT would would be awesome. I can do some pretty basic editing, such as contrast, color correction, and sharpness, but more advanced topics I haven't done much with. It would be greatly appreciated by many, I'm sure. I don't have photoshop and GIMP is just difficult to use, so I'm going to download paint.NET and see what I can do with some old GT5 photos.

Last edited:
XS
THAT would would be awesome. I can do some pretty basic editing, such as contrast, color correction, and sharpness, but more advanced topics I haven't done much with. It would be greatly appreciated by many, I'm sure. I don't have photoshop and GIMP is just difficult to use, so I'm going to download paint.NET and see what I can do with some old GT5 photos.

Gimp is pretty easy and whatever the other program I listed is free and easy too. A lot of the final result is more dependent on the way you actually look the photo. My best shots always look nice without editing, but the editing just puts them over the top.

True, I just fixed my computer and downloaded paint.NET and I'm finding it just as difficult to use as Gimp, so the issue is that I just need to slow down and take the time to learn and practice these programs. Your shots do always look good!

XS
True, I just fixed my computer and downloaded paint.NET and I'm finding it just as difficult to use as Gimp, so the issue is that I just need to slow down and take the time to learn and practice these programs. Your shots do always look good!
I have never used gimp myself, but I have seen it and it looks like a basic version of photoshop. I think this week hopefully I will do a tutorial on Pixlr since it is free and runs on just a web browser.

BMW Vision Gran Turismo

A new concept car from BMW called the BMW Vision Gran Turismo. You can't much to this, but you can slightly tune it. It's already basically a race car so why not a drift car! It works pretty well for a drift car too. Obviously might be a little better if you could tune a little more, but still pretty awesome and fun to drift with. I can't end this without talking about the looks. This car looks badass! I really wish BMW decides to make this into a production car as a M3 CSL or something because it really does look awesome. Doesn't seem too crazy of a concept either. Unlike the Mercedes GT6 concept this one looks like it could be driven on the road with no legal issues.

Pics are by nbdesignz go check out all his others

Nissan 240sx 96

Nissan 240sx '96 probably the second most know JDM drift car just after the Toyota Corolla '86. Very 90's Japanese styling that will last forever. The car has enough power to get around the turns with ease, but not too much to where you will be out of control all the time. You can spin out in this car so just remember to pulse the gas and don't slam it down everywhere. I love the rear lights on this car. They are what really make it stand out from other cars. As you can see from the picture the car looks awesome are night. Plus it has those cool flip up headlights. The Nissan 180sx and 240sx are basically the same car which would cake me think this tune should work for either one.

Last edited:

Honda Odyessy 03

One of the most randomly good cars in the game. A lot of people know about it now, but if you didn't this van will smoke many many cars. In GT5 I was in a 500pp race and this Honda Odyssey beat everyone including a mclaren mp4-12c lol. Turned this bad boy into a drift car as it is also very good at that too. I left mine with stock paint and stock rims to give it that sleeper look and blow people's minds online once they see how good it drifts. However It would also look awesome with something like black paint, gold rims and a spoiler for example. Show the people you mean business. It drifts pretty well, but it's huge size and low power doesn't make it the best drift car ever. For a van it's super light and how many other vans you know have close to 450hp?

Chevrolet Silverado SST

This is probably the coolest truck ever made or at least kind of made. I like the clean lines it has. Not to mention crazy amount of hp. Of course drift car is hilarious for it to become so that is exactly what we did. It is a huge truck that weighs a lot so the drifts are good, but don't expect to get to speed 12 level. Really fun car to add to your drift collection.

Mazda SAVANNA RX-7 INFINI III (FC) 90

Everyone knows the newer RX-7, but this older model is also very fun to drift in. It doesn't have the same iconic design of it's later model, but it does have it's heritage. Fun car to drift in overall. It doesn't have a ton of power which makes it less crazier and easier to keep on the track. Once you get a cool paint job and rims the car also looks pretty good. You do have to watch the car because it can be quite the handful. I have spun a few times in it so just make sure to watch how much gas you apply. It wants to drift, but it likes doing it in it's own way.

Subaru IMPREZA WRX STI spec C 09

Even if you don't like 4WD drift cars everyone loves a Subaru. This car is a great drift car and is perfect for all levels. Beginners should have no trouble at all getting used to it and advanced users like myself will have a ton of fun. The 4WD system makes mistakes less likely and you can really drive it hard. I also noticed today that the new Red bull tracks are amazing tracks to drift at. They are a mix or small and large turns which makes drifting there very fun. There is also some elevation, but nothing really serious that can make you spin out like some other tracks.

Toyota 86 GT 12

Hopefully you have already seen the 450pp Toyota 86 GT seasonal killer and wanted a drift machine to go with it. I actually found this tune by mistake. I put on comfort hard tires on the race version and it drifted really well. The two tunes are super similar so if you already have one set up just copy it to spot B or C and edit the little differences. Both tunes should work with the FR-S and BR-Z as well since they are all the same car. It drifts pretty well for a little hp car and is really fun to drift too. Obviously I'm sticking with the chrome paint on mine looking crazy online, but feel free to paint yours however you want. I would rate this car somewhere in the middle of drift tunes. It drifts well, but just doesn't have enough power to compete against some of the big boys. Still really fun car to drift and add to your collection.

Shmo, I am unable to access these tunes for some unknown reason. Through mobile, tablet or PC. I generally use Chrome but have also tried IE with no joy. Every tune displays "Page not available". Any help please, loved your GT5 stuff and would like to see some of the current stuff

Shmo, I am unable to access these tunes for some unknown reason. Through mobile, tablet or PC. I generally use Chrome but have also tried IE with no joy. Every tune displays "Page not available". Any help please, loved your GT5 stuff and would like to see some of the current stuff

if your using mobile mate, try downloading opera mini. i personally prefer it to any other mobile browser.

hope this helps

It's because you live in Europe. The servers block some parts sometimes, BUT you can get on if you use a proxy site first and put my site in there. Just google one and it should work fine since they trick the servers to think you are from North America. Nothing I can do about it sorry

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) 02

A favorite among all drifters the RX-7. My first drift car ever back in GT5 days. It's still an awesome drift car in GT6. Mine is all black and red themed which looks super sick drifting down a track. It drifts very well which I expected and is a lot of fun. I don't think you will have that much of a problem with this Mazda RX-7 as it seems to handle everything you throw at it.

Chevrolet Camaro SS 69

Muscle cars were not made for drifting, but you wouldn't think that after you drift with one. They have so much power and drift all over the place. Perfect combo for a great drift car. It was a little tricky for me at first to drift, but after a couple laps it has turned into one of my best cars. The key is to go light on the gas. It doesn't need to be slammed everywhere and if you do a lot of times you will over shoot the turn. Looks great, but this particular car sounds awful. It should have a huge muscle car roar of an engine, but instead sounds like a weird whizzing noise. I know a lot of people complain about Gran Turismo 6 cars sounding, but this has to be up there with the worst of them. I have no idea how this sound made it into the game. Common sense should of told them the car sounds nothing like it would in real life. I wish they at least had one standard muscle car sound and used the same one for all of them rather than creating these weird sounds that are supposed to represent a real car.

KTM X-BOW Street '12

Had this car for a long time and even took the pics for it, but it got lost in the hundreds of other tunes. Luckily I found it and realized it wasn't added yet, but better late than never. This car is hilarious because it is basically a go kart on steroids. Not to mention this is for drifting which makes it even funnier. It drifts pretty well and mainly the same as a normal car, but since it is a KTM bike/go kart/car there is a small learning curve. However it is worth it to be able to drift this bad boy around the track. I have mine in gold paint as you can see which looks amazing with all the black carbon fibre everywhere else. A lot of times crazy colors such as gold will overwhelm the car and take away from it's looks, but since this car actually doesn't have that much to paint crazy colors only adds to it.

Volkswagen Sambabus Typ 2 (T1) '62

The Pimp Bus is back! Gold and chrome everything. This time with gold wheels and gold brakes! Known officially (depending on body type) as the Transporter,Kombi or Microbus, or, informally, as the Bus (US) or Camper (UK), in GT6 the Volkswagen Sambabus Typ 2 (T1) '62 is the official Pimp Bus. If you remember from GT5 I originally made a Pimp Bus tune that was for pure fun for driving on two wheels and just getting crazy. It's basically mandatory to paint to something crazy with insane rims to impress people online with. Wasn't actually useful for anything else in GT5 however this time around I decided to slam it down and make it into a drift machine. At least now you can use it online against people and blow their minds when they see this crazy van volkswagen made years ago rejuvenated into a drift beast. It is still more for fun as it can drift and I have drift entire tracks without stopping, but you really have to work for it due to the low horsepower. Great for fun and it would be hilarious to see a whole room of tricked out buses drifting around a track.

I took a lot of really awesome pictures of this van which can be seen at the Team Shmo tumblr

Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) '63

This Corvette Coupe looks awesome! I put metallic paint on mine and you can see from the picture when the light hits it all the bodywork lines just pop. When it comes to gran turismo 6 car tuning this car is a must. So much fun as a drift car. It's hard to beat American muscle for drifting because they have so much power, they look great, and you know back in the 60-70's they never in their life thought these cars would be used for drifting. If you have seen the new Chevrolet Corvette C7 Stingray you can clearly see where it's styling came from. Awesome looking design back then and awesome looking now. This Stingray drifts great as well. I had a little trouble drifting with it at first for some reason, but after a couple laps it became one of my biggest point scorers. Lot's of fun, looks great, huge drifts, what more can you ask for?

The car is a Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95. The tune is at the end of the video. I am (or was when I did this) 60th in the world. Please like the video as it really helps me out. Any comments on the video would be appreciated too so I can make even better videos in the future.

Volvo 240 GLT Estate

The ultimate sleeper car. No one ever expects a wagon to be awesome at anything other then moving lots of luggage around. The main thing that makes this the ultimate sleeper is because it's a Volvo, it's super old, and it's kind of crappy looking. The Audi RS6 wagon may have over 1000hp, but it's a brand new Audi. Everyone already kind of knows it's going to be pretty good. This however is always a shock. It has about 400hp and isn't super heavy making it very easy to get into some big drifts. It's not enough hp to make it one of the best drift cars ever, but the fun factor is definitely there. I painted mine matt black including the rims and brakes. Gold looks amazing on this car, but all the trim was already black so I decided on that murdered out super sleeper look. The funniest part about this wagon is the colors in the dealership. They don't even try like other car brands do to try and sell a cool color of paint. Look at any other cars and the colors are always named something interesting to make the color more exciting. With this car all the colors are straight up basic color names like red, green, yellow, etc. You can just tell they never planned on people using this car for anything other then what it was intended for. This is a must for any real drifter to add to their garage. Always good to have some pure fun cars to take out every once in a while. I also slammed this to the ground to give it a better stance, but I think if you raises it a little more it might drift even better. The way I look at it is it drifts pretty well now and will never be a spectacular a drift car so mine as well make it look as cool as possible. Cool points don't count in the game, but they do online.

HKS CT230R

Let's get this out the way right now. This car looks awesome! It has just patches or chrome paint and even the rear side windows are chrome. Mixed with the red this thing just looks too good drifting down the road. It is 4WD which makes it a lot easier to control too. It's based on the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, but tuned by HKS to be a beast and now re-tuned by Team Shmo to be a drift beast. You can power through corners pretty hard and not worry about crashing, but do watch how little gas you use as the 4WD system can take over and cause you to lose the drift. Heavy on the gas will make it spin pretty easy however and get you back sideways.

RUF BTR

Since we can't have Porsche in the game we will have to settle for RUF. Luckily RUF makes some really excellent cars that look great too. It kind of reminds me of the old1973 Porsche 91, but all Porsche's kind of look the same so pick any of them and that's what it looks like lol. All jokes aside I'm pretty sure the actual car it started at is a Porsche 930. Since the engine is in the back it makes for a pretty crazy drift experience. Even on racing slicks it can get crazy, but put it on comfort hard it's just next level fun. I decided to put a spoiler on mine because it looks awesome and it helps keep the car's rear down. It has a lot of power meaning you don't have to slam the gas to get it to drift. Little taps are more than enough to get it around any corner. You can spin out if you are not careful, but I have landed some awesome drifts with it. Pretty smooth overall. If you do change anything I don't recommend changing the anti roll bar settings. At the settings they are at now worked best while anything else seemed to change the car for the worse.

Pics are by nbdesignz

Mazda Cosmo Sport (L10B)

Very old yet futuristic looks car. Lives up to it's Mazda Cosmo name. The body lines on this car make literally every paint color look great. That sucked for me since it took forever to find my favorite of the bunch. I decided to go with this lemon lime green because I really liked when the light hits the car the paint looks more yellow. This Cosmo Sport looks great and drifts great too. Very low power/weight makes it easy to really slam around the track. There are a few models of this car and I am pretty sure this tune will work for all of them. The looks is the thing that keeps me coming back. I never see these cars online tearing up the track making this pretty special to show off to others in.

Back