Team Shmo Drifting - Mazda MX-5 Miata V-Special Type II (NA, J) ’93

• Thread starter shmogt
  • 117 comments

Pozzi Motorsports Camaro RS

I didn’t really remember that I had this car, but once I clicked it, it already was partially set for drifting. I don’t remember ever driving it, but I was clearly working on a drift tune for it at some point. I figured I mine as well finish it off. Without even driving it I could tell it was going to be insane as it has around 700 HP and torque to match. It doesn’t even weigh that much for a muscle car. I love the looks of it and once you put some custom rims on it the car looks like it’s all rims. They just look so huge and the tire profile is so low. Mine are chrome rims and it looks like it’s riding on blocks on ice, it’s awesome. It sounds pretty good too. One of the few muscle cars that actually has a muscle grunt when flooring it. It may feel a little tricky to control the drift at first, but after a couple tries I don’t find it too hard and I usually land big drifts.

BMW M4 Coupé

The BMW M4 was added to GT6 a long time ago, and a million people have told me to make a tune for it. I planned on it, but didn’t get it perfect right away and than got discouraged and moved on. I think BMW make the best drift cars, but the M4 is trickier than the others. It’s perfect and then will random send you into the wall. I worked hard and managed to come up with something pretty good. However, the tune I am showing here is a combo of mine and Victor J Woskobunik. It’s still not 100% where I want it, but this is the best it’s gonna be. It has an insane amount of hp and lights up the track. You have to watch your gas, but at the same time it’s not that bad to control for such a powerful car.

The looks of it are amazing. You can get various bodykits and spoilers, but I decided to paint mine in gun metal metallic with a carbon fibre hood/spoiler, and matt black wheels. It looks pretty insane drifting around a track. Very stealthed out look, like a fighter jet. The color also changes color a lot in the sun or the shadows, which I think looks really cool.

Audi RS 6 Avant '08

I originally had this car as a drift car before stumbling across the Audi RS 6 Avant drag tune, and am finally deciding to add it to the site. I found, despite being 4WD, this car makes a perfectly passable drift car, able to hold long and fast drifts without much work. When you need to get out of the drift, the front wheels will just pull you out, as they are drive too. Like the drag tune, this car has over 1000hp, and is a good sleeper drift car. Although not as good as some of the more conventional drift cars, I’ve still surprised people online in this, with them asking for the tune.

As this is 4WD, it is completely different to drift than RWD drift cars, but it’s not too hard once you get used to it. Don’t be afraid to rip the handbrake if you need to

Dodge SRT Viper GTS '13

The Viper is an insane car. It has huge power and looks very aggressive. There was already the ACR race version tune of this car, but not a full powered drift version. With the amount of power this Viper has it is a real animal. Be very careful when smashing the gas as you will end up in the wall real quick. It’s better to press the gas when needed and let off when you don’t. That is the easiest way to keep everything drifting smoothly

Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG '08

This Mercedes has taken me forever to get right. I made a drift tune for it a while ago, but it wasn’t quite perfect yet. I tried and tried, but there was always something that just didn’t quite make it the drift car I had envisioned. However, I finally managed to get it how I wanted it, which is why you are seeing it on the site. It has over 1000hp just like it’s “arch enemy” the BMW M4, and is equally difficult to control. The extreme power can send you off the track quickly unless you know how to handle it. The secret is to pulse the gas and literally let it drift around the corners. That is how I made drifting in the video below look so easy. I originally slammed the gas everywhere, but that is a surefire way to lose control or spin out. I also love how it looks. The C63 has huge exhaust pipes and a super aggressive look to it. Add the spoiler, carbon hood, and cool wheels, like I did, and you have a pretty amazing looking car for replays.

Lexus SC 300 '97

Lexus is usually known for luxury, but this car just looks a lot cooler than most of the other at the time. Something about it just makes it look sleek, yet aggressive. A kid on my street actually bought this exact car, painted gold, with a super loud exhaust system on it. It’s literally so loud I can hear it from blocks away. I had to make a tune for it. I decided to make it a drift tune because it just felt like it would be better at drifting than it would be at racing. After testing it for a while I can confirm it is pretty good at drifting, but not as good as I had hoped. Still good for that old school Japanese drift feel though.

Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '06

I love Aston Martin and the DB9 is definitely one of my favorites. The look is just stunning from every angle. It also has just enough power to be lots of fun, but not too much to get into trouble with. I decided to make it a drift tune to add some class to the usual Toyotas and Nissans of the online lobbies. Also, I panted mine in black chrome with dark wheels and a carbon fibre hood/spoiler. It looks amazing drifting around a track. I could watch the replays forever. However, I also really like the way this car drifts. It isn’t the best drift car ever, but it doesn’t take that much effort to start and hold a drift. I could drift every corner very easily and the way the transmission is set up you can drift really long tracks at high speeds. On Tsukuba, the highest gear I went up to was only 4th. Really liking everything about this car, but I did find it interesting that it ended up having less power than the smaller V12 Vantage with a tiny bit more weight.

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi (Type-Il) '02

A lot people hate 4WD drift cars, but trust me, they are a lot of fun. You have a lot more control with a 4WD drift car than you do with a FR car, which usually makes drifts even larger and easier to hold. However, you can snap out of drifts a lot easier too if they are really long. If you watch my insane drift video below you’ll see exactly what I mean by that. Similar to the Subaru hatchback, this WRX looks really cool and drifts pretty easily, but make sure you get the parts right on install. It must use a stage 2 turbo instead of the normal stage 3. This gives it even more power and also a much smoother power curve. I tried stage 3 just for fun and it basically would need a brand new tune for it to work. Tune by Shmogt and Andrew Born.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96

This is actually one of my most favorite Evos of all time. It was the first GT car I ever bought in my life back in the GT2 days. It looks really cool with the big spoiler and skirts, but it also has just enough power to be really fun too. I was given this tune to test out, but it looked kind of crazy on paper. After testing I was pretty impressed with it. It has a ton of camber, which most GT6 drift tunes don’t use anymore, but I’m glad this one has so much because it always looks cool. I tested it at a few different tracks and found that flatter tracks you should have no issues at all, but at bumpier tracks or tracks with lots of hills you have to watch your gas. I spun out a few times, but that is to be expected. Overall I am really liking it and I am sure after a couple laps you will like it too. Tune by Jared Tremblay.

Jaguar XKR-S '11

Gran Turismo 6 has been out for quite a while now and somehow this is my first Jag tune. I had this one in my garage for a long time, but never really did much with it. I think at one time I made or had someones drift tune on it, but needed to continue working on it. I decided to just start over and see how it goes. Also, it looks amazing! The carbon bodykit is insane in the aftermarket parts. There is just so much of it and it really makes the car look totally different. I ended up putting the racing stickers on it too, to really make it pop. In terms of how well it drifts, I will say it is pretty good, but not the best ever. I actually really like how easy it is to drift and how you can drift basically any track with little practise, but there are other cars that are more extreme. Overall, I am really liking everything about this car and happy I finally have a Jag in my garage.

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06

I rarely make Corvette tunes, but when I do they come out great. This Z06 drift tune was actually pretty tricky to get right. Normally any sort of muscle car basically drifts itself due to all the power, but this one took some careful fine tuning. I kept trying and trying, but eventually got a tune that I am happy with. It drifts fairly easy and as long as you watch the throttle the power shouldn’t be too much. The classic Corvette shape looks awesome in the replays and the body work parts available give you a lot of freedom as to what you’d like it to look like. I went for more of a street sleeper look with just basic yellow paint and all understated bodywork. Little do people know it has almost 1000hp under the hood and a creepy 666pp.

Nissan SKYLINE GTS-t Type M (R32) '91

The best part about this car is it looks almost exactly like a R32 Skyline, but it’s FR, which makes it much better for drifting. The car itself has relatively low power. It has roughly 500hp, which is a lot for the streets, but could definitely use a bump in power for drifting. This makes it not the worst, but also not the best drifter. It is still a lot of fun to drift and also not that difficult to drift, or hold big drifts with. I worked as hard as I could to make sure the power was instant and the suspension was nice and smooth. I have drifted it at many different tracks and not ran into any major problems or things to look out for. Just give it a couple laps and you’ll get used to it right away.

Subaru IMPREZA Coupe 22B-STÌ Version '98 (rally)

I have many Subaru 22b tunes already ranging from a full blow race tune to a 500pp tune. However, I didn’t have what this car was actually intended for, which is rallycross. I have been asked a few times to make one and had been working on it, but it was just alright. Now I have made it just a little bit better, but I actually prefer this car as a road car over a rally car. It is amazing at rally, and I absolutely love drifting in the snow with it, but it’s just not as fast as many other Subarus off the track. It is best used for online meet-ups with your friends just having fun.

If you already know how to rally race properly you won’t have any issues with this one. Handles the dirt or snow easily and is very stable. Only problem is the same with potentially all rally tunes, the size of the track you are racing at. The final gear of the transmission may need to be moved a little bit to the left to stretch all the gears out for large tracks. However, most tracks I raced at didn’t have any problems.

Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2seater (S130) '78

I really like the looks of this car and it is crazy to think it came out in 1978 because of just how insane it still looks. I have mine painted in matt black for that stealthed out look, but it actually looks cool in pretty much any colour. The greatest thing about this car is its looks, but it is severely lacking in power. It can drift well, but takes a lot of getting used to since you really have to push it to the limits in order to hold a drift. Roughly 300hp is just not enough for this to be a great drift car. However, I would put this car into more of the advanced drifter category for that exact reason. Not just anybody can be a pro drifting it. It takes a lot of planning before every corner on just how much throttle to use and how much to turn the wheel to get the perfect drift. I would definitely recommend this car be used at smaller tracks as it has a hard time making larger corners.

Chevrolet Corvette StingRay Racer Concept '59

American cars are not usually known for looking pretty. They are mostly hardcore, in-your-face, ‘merica! type of looking cars. However, this one is definitely one of the different ones. It is truly gorgeous. The regular old-school Stingray looks nice with all of its curves, but it is a whole new level with this one. Without the roof and the additional scoops, vents, and curves just make this car look phenomenal. I didn’t fully realize this until I took it to a night time track and watched the replay. The reflections are just amazing and you will always get a great shot.

As far as being a drift car goes it definitely matches the looks. This is not one for the first timers who don’t know what they are doing, though. It can spin out and has a lot of power, but if you know what you are doing the car is pretty great. It currently holds my second highest score as Tsukuba, which is extremely impressive considering I test all my drift cars there. Only tips I have for it is watch your gas as you don’t need too much, usually. Also, shift to lower gears before exiting corners. I usually am to be in 2nd for small corners because if you stay in 3rd you won’t have enough low-end power to get up to speeds quick enough.

NISMO 270R '94

I love all Nismo cars, but the 270R is a quite special one. It looks really cool and is FR, which makes it perfect for drifting. At first I found this car really hard to drift well. It would spin out every second and was just really hard to control. After a lot of trial and error I have finally created a tune that I am happy with. It drifts great, looks cool, and scores really high points. The 600hp range for drift cars is probably the best. It will always have enough power to get you around any track, but not enough to cause you to mess up. Also, this was the only car so far where I didn’t change the rims. The stock rims actually look really cool and fit the car well. Normally all stock rims look very boring and aftermarket rims are basically mandatory. However, with this car that isn’t the case.

Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04

The Nissan OPTION Stream Z ’04 has got to be one of the crazier looking tuner cars in the entire game. It has such a long front end with huge, aggressive body lines and extremely low/long spoiler. The colours on it are also crazy.

What I didn’t know was that once it is fully upgraded it has almost 1000hp! I would of never guessed this car would come anywhere close to that. The only major problem with it is the transmission. All the torque happens are the very end of the RPM range. Although this isn’t a huge problem, it definitely made it harder to tune for drifting and you do have to watch how you drive it. You must shift gears a lot to maximize the high RPM range. However, make sure to shift a lot lower whenever you need to slow down to make a tight turn.

For example, I basically use all the gears to drive around Tsukuba, but shift down quickly to 2nd in order to have the torque to make the turn. If you stay in 3rd, for example, you won’t have high enough revs and the car will feel like it is stalling. As long as you can guess what gear you need to be in next to make the turn and stay in high RPM range, you should have no problems drifting this car.

BMW M5 '08

When this M5 first came out I hated its looks. Over time I slowly began to like it more and more. Now, I really like it. The design was just way ahead of its time. It is really large, really fast, and has cool lights that make it look super sinister driving around the track. It also looks good with a subtle sleeper look, but equally as good in a crazy colour scheme. Big fan of it. This is one of the many reasons that make it an excellent drift car. It isn’t the best drift car of all time, but it is a ton of fun. The M5 weighs a lot and I would of thought it would be more difficult to drift, but it never has any problems drifting around a track. The huge power can make it a little tail happy, however. Also, I would watch it on bumpy tracks as it has a tendency to spin the back around a lot easier there.

Amuse Carbon R (R34)

I have never really seen anyone drift with this car, and I am not sure why that is? It is made completely of carbon fibre and looks awesome! It has huge power as well, and lets not forget that it is basically a heavily modified rear-wheel-drive R34 Skyline. All this together make this one awesome car. It is a shame that this car isn’t premium and had a better quality look to it because I’m sure the full carbon could look insane on the replays. However, it still looks pretty cool, but the performance is the real key. It has a strange power band (the graph) where the very top end RPM drops off significantly. This was a problem when I first started testing it, but I have gotten the transmission and LSD to compensate for it.

Also, when I was drifting it around the track I got a super high score with it. It is in my top 10 drift cars, actually. Although, it was hard to replicate time and time again. I think this car would be great for people who want to stand out from the crowd, and willing to put in the testing to get really good with it. It seems like it has a lot of potential to be a serious drift beast in the right hands.
http://www.teamshmo.com/gran-turismo-6/drift/amuse-carbon-r-r34-04/#.WFoFzbYrIUE

Chevrolet SSR '03

This is currently my best GT6 drift tune. I originally started making this car for racing, but it just gave me a good feeling for drifting. I barely put a tune on it and it did very well. The more and more I worked on it the better it became. My last best drift car was the Dodge Charger, but this car lands drifts just as big and easily as that one. I didn’t expect the SSR to be this good, especially since it is a weird truck/car hybrid. I knew with added power and a tune it would be good, but not the best. It lands really easy big drifts all the time, too. That is the best part about it. It doesn’t feel like it will do a huge drift, but with little effort it ends up scoring huge points. Very impressed by it, and I hope all of you enjoy it too.

Amuse NISMO 380RS Super Leggera '01

I have always loved the looks of this car. The regular Nissan 350z looks good, but there is something about it that always seemed strange to me. With this tuned version and massive bodykit the car looks much more aggressive. The only piece that looks a little off is the front bumper. It seems too smooth while the back of the car has the smoothness with lots of sharp edges too. That and the fact that it is a Nissan that is tuned by NISMO, which was then tuned by Amuse and is found in the Amuse dealer. Very odd to me. Either way, it looks pretty awesome drifting around the track. Back in the GT5 days I had this car in green and it looked epic. I knew I had to paint this one green as well. It also looks great in mat silver in case anyone was looking for a cool darker color to paint it in.

However, enough about the looks. How does it drift? Great! I had a ton of fun drifting it at all different tracks and had a hard time stopping myself to come post this tune. It is not the worlds greatest drift, but it doesn’t struggle, and after a couple laps you get used to it very quickly. Looks really great on the replays too since it has such an aggressive look to it. I only wish it had just a tiny bit more power. I think if it was a full 600hp it would of transformed this car to even great heights.

Last edited:

Lexus IS F '07

I can never get over the fact that this car has 7 gears. I always get to the “end” (6) and remember there is another gear. It makes drifting a lot more interesting. You aren’t going crazy fast when drifting, and won’t really need all 7 gears, but it gives a lot more torque to lower gears. This is good and bad. The good part about it is you can be in almost any gear and still move when you slam the gas. Some cars with lower torque won’t even budge if you are in too high of a gear by mistake. You will be coming around a turn and hit the gas just to see your car do nothing. Not the case with this Lexus IS F. I have been coming around corners in too high of a gear and still made it around the turn. However, the bad is you are shifting a lot. I don’t like shifting all the time when drifting because it becomes too much to think about after a while. You always have to check to make sure you are in the right gear. Although I just said the extra torque in any gear is good it to is also equally bad. When you step on the gas the car will move. Great if you are aligned properly, but not the best when you are off centre. It can spin the car out of control fairly easily.

The best tips I can give while driving this car is give it some practise and watch the gas. It takes more than just a few laps to get use to the extra gear, high torque, and potential tail whip action. However, an easy way to solve a lot of these problems is to watch the gas. Don’t slam the gas and hold it there the entire time. Give it just enough to move around the turn and a little extra here and there to maintain the drift. This should prevent it from accidentally going out of control as things are slower and more in control.

Last edited:

Infiniti G35 Coupe '06

I really love this car and had to make a tune out of it. It looks cool, but also has an elegance about it. Once you add some skirts, spoiler, and new rims it becomes much more aggressive, too. I decided to make a drift tune for it because it is rear-wheeled drive and doesn’t have a ton of power. This means it should be easy for everyone to drift, and a good car to start with if you are new to drifting. For someone like me, it needs a bit more power, but is still a lot of fun. I had trouble with the transmission for the longest time as it felt like the car didn’t have any power, but that is all fixed now. A bit more testing was all it needed to get the quick revs you want for huge drifts.

Ford Mustang Mach 1 '71

Drifting any muscle car is a ton of fun. Of course, drifting an old school classic muscle car is even more fun. This Mustang looks cool, sound cool, and just is cool. Also, it drifts great as well. It has a ton of power like any muscle car would and is pretty heavy, but that adds to the excitement. This allows it to easily drift any corner, but can sometimes get crazy. It weighs so much that it is easy to brake too late and have it slide right off the track. However, as long as you are careful with your entry and exit you shouldn’t have too many issues. Also, the more practice you have driving it the more and more fun it will be.

Pagani Zonda C12S 7.3 '02

I can not think of a better car for drifting than a Zonda! Everything about it is already super insane an amazing, but turning it into a drift car just takes everything to the next level. I didn’t expect it to be that great, but it is actually really good. The engine just screams the entire time, and the huge amount of power it has allows it to drift anything. It is not super difficult to drift either. It does have a lot of power, so be careful not to slam on the gas too much. However, after a few laps you will have the car figured out and be landing huge drifts everywhere! Also, be sure to get the race tune of this car as it is also insanely awesome.

Jaguar S-TYPE R '02

I randomly picked this car to make into a drift car and was very surprised at how great it was. Even without tuning anything it landed some pretty big drifts. I didn’t need to do much to make it super good, though. Just tightened everything up a little and it started landing real big drifts. It is in my top 10 greatest drift cars in terms of points. It doesn’t take too much effort to land huge drifts either. No one will ever expect this four-seater sedan to land such huge drifts, which makes it a great sleeper car. Also, it has an interesting look, which I am sure can be made to look even crazier with proper paint, rims, and spoiler.

Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R33) '97

Who doesn’t love a Skyline? The classic R33 Skyline is a monster and made into a drift machine makes it even cooler. Since it is 4WD it makes more sense to be a race car, but it is still a pretty good drift car. I actually landed one of the biggest scores out of all my drift cars. It is a little trickier to drift because all the wheels are moving, but it isn’t too difficult to get use to. The best part about 4WD, however, is it can be corrected easier. Any mistake you make is a little easier to just let off the gas, or just turn more, etc and be back into a huge drift. Overall, it is a really fun car to drift around a track and a must to add to your garage. Tune was made by Jordan Delany and Shmogt.

Mazda MX-5 Miata V-Special Type II (NA) '93

The race tune for this Mazda Miata was pretty good, and surprisingly this drift version is just as good. I would of thought a car with such little power wouldn’t be so fun, but it is. It is just enough to get around the corner, but not too much to cause any major problems. I was able to make short, medium, and long drifts without any issues. I think it has to do a lot with its low weight. The power isn’t much, but it is for such a small and low weight car. Also, there are a million MX-5 versions, but I assume this tune should work for all of them. At least any model with pop up headlights. The newer models are a bit heavier and have more power, so I can not say for sure how well this tune will work for them. Finally, you may have noticed that my car in the picture has stripes. When you paint the older MX-5 cars they sometimes have different stripe designs. Each version has a different type, which is pretty cool.

Back