That Winning Feeling

United Kingdom
Boston
nscotney
nockscitney
so I just thought I’d post to see how others “react”. Although I’ve raced for years, there’s something about racing online on GT Sport that, on the rare occasions when I’m running at the front with a chance to win, my heart starts pounding and the adrenaline really kicks in. It’s almost like it’s real life and not a game. The only other time I felt like this with the game was during the 7hrs / 700 miles that I was trying to get the Gold on 1-lap round Nurburgring.

Just kind of wondered if other people get the same feeling or if you get any other, or of course whether you’re as cool as a cucumber :)

I have 46 wins under my belt, and 99% of those wins had me like this
images (9).jpeg

The other 1% are the two wins that got me to S rank, and I'm basically 0:34-0:40 at this clip

so I just thought I’d post to see how others “react”. Although I’ve raced for years, there’s something about racing online on GT Sport that, on the rare occasions when I’m running at the front with a chance to win, my heart starts pounding and the adrenaline really kicks in. It’s almost like it’s real life and not a game. The only other time I felt like this with the game was during the 7hrs / 700 miles that I was trying to get the Gold on 1-lap round Nurburgring.

Just kind of wondered if other people get the same feeling or if you get any other, or of course whether you’re as cool as a cucumber :)
I feel exactly the same, last corner of the last lap is the worse, seems to be eternal, because I know I have the bad habit of messing that up, throwing the whole race to waste.

It's just a game? Who cares, we're winning in those moments! ;)

To be honest I wouldn’t know. Lol. I don’t play online cause I’m pretty terrible at it. No tuning experience, not a lot of knowledge of it and I usually finish last or around there so I hung it up. Lol

"Yes Yes Yes" is always my word after winning. HAHA:gtpflag:

Before the 1st victory, i throw away a couple of win due to interesting naive actions such as watching the time gap, monitoring the mirror, over shooting a corner etc. :lol:

When I know I’m in front and likely to win I only check times and mirrors on a good straight, iv been known to check on corners because I’m concerned they’re too close behind and binned the car. Did it on Monza a few days ago with a 6 second lead and was furious with myself

To be honest I wouldn’t know. Lol. I don’t play online cause I’m pretty terrible at it. No tuning experience, not a lot of knowledge of it and I usually finish last or around there so I hung it up. Lol

No tuning in sport mode though. Same for everyone.

For me, leading is very stressful indeed.. I am just trying so hard not to screw up. Means every actual win really feels like something, I got about 12 or so.

When I know I’m in front and likely to win I only check times and mirrors on a good straight, iv been known to check on corners because I’m concerned they’re too close behind and binned the car. Did it on Monza a few days ago with a 6 second lead and was furious with myself
Once i led the race at Dragon Trail - Seaside with over 10s. Last lap at the bus stop chicane. You know the end result. Crashed and down to 3rd:banghead: I was saying "no no no" prior to the crash.:lol:

Once i led the race at Dragon Trail - Seaside with over 10s. Last lap at the bus stop chicane. You know the end result. Crashed and down to 3rd:banghead: I was saying "no no no" prior to the crash.:lol:

I’m sure even the best drivers have been there, that’s how we learn. If I’ve got a sizeable lead on the final lap I really do take it easy, more often than not 2nd place actually gets within touching distance where they actually think they’ve got a chance of taking me and then they crash! So funny when that happens

I’m sure even the best drivers have been there, that’s how we learn. If I’ve got a sizeable lead on the final lap I really do take it easy, more often than not 2nd place actually gets within touching distance where they actually think they’ve got a chance of taking me and then they crash! So funny when that happens
Yup, a good lesson. Learnt to have that "take it easy" mentality when leading on last lap esp with a gap to the back.:cheers:

Dragon trail, 10 laps. I started 2nd and piled on the pressure throughout the race. Even came out of the pits right on his tail. We spent almost the entire race about 5-6 secs ahead of the field. I never managed to overtake him until the final lap on the downhill section, where I guess he braked too late and went wide. Funnily enough I went deep as well so we came out of the corner with me just a little ahead and boy could I hear my blood pumping in my ears eventually it got too much and I overcooked the final corner. Ended up second. Best race so far even though I missed the win.

Aside from that every pole is a heart pounding affair. I normally manage to screw up entirely in the final lap. And if I don't screw up once i definitely try a few more times to screw up :D

I find though it doesn't need to be the last lap for the panic to set in. I was doing the 3-lap race round Interlagos last night and it was only the start of Lap 2, down the back straight, when I edged out into the lead and i could feel the blood pumping (and in typical style I over-cooked it into the last corner and gave away 4 places :banghead:)

Aside from that every pole is a heart pounding affair. I normally manage to screw up entirely in the final lap. And if I don't screw up once i definitely try a few more times to screw up :D

I would tend to say the start of any race is heart pounding when you're in the top half of the field and you don't know what dive bombs are coming into turn 1

I go and shout to my girlfriend “I’ve won!”, I have a little happy dance with the dog, then I need about 30 mins to calm down because my heart is usually beating out of my chest ha

Your Dog is wondering WTH is going on here, I dont know but I Like it more please.

Im still shy on my 1st Win in ST Sport or 1st Pole, best I have managed in 2nd

I find though it doesn't need to be the last lap for the panic to set in. I was doing the 3-lap race round Interlagos last night and it was only the start of Lap 2, down the back straight, when I edged out into the lead and i could feel the blood pumping (and in typical style I over-cooked it into the last corner and gave away 4 places :banghead:)

I would tend to say the start of any race is heart pounding when you're in the top half of the field and you don't know what dive bombs are coming into turn 1
Had a lot of these experiences
One race from a long time ago I qualified in second but I was able to pass the leader early on, but for the rest of the race he was just closely behind me (And it was Race C so it's an enduro)
You have no idea just how pressured I was! Heart pumping, hands sweaty, all that stuff. I figured he'd reclaim his position in the pits but we pitted with about the same amount of fuel so that's not where he'll attack. And then I figured out that he might attack at the last corner, so at the final lap, final corner I compromised my line and tuck myself to the inside line. He took a late apex and had much more speed than I do, and thank God my prediction was spot on! I was able to block his exit midway through because of the line I took, and got the win :D

Involuntary fist punch and quick run around the living room on each of my 4 victories so far.

I seem to place mid pack in the majority of my races, so actually running up front or even winning is a rare blessing.
True talk. My 3 victories have been the same, Infact on my 3rd victory I nearly cried because of how close I was to not winning.

Your Dog is wondering WTH is going on here, I dont know but I Like it more please.

Im still shy on my 1st Win in ST Sport or 1st Pole, best I have managed in 2nd
The funny thing for me was that on my very first race, I claimed pole, fastest lap and won the race, but have failed to replicate any of these feats in the next 17 races I've taken part in.

I feel like the game lured me in on false pretenses - HA!

While my heart pounds and my controller starts to feel like a bar of soap in those last few corners, sombre music starts to play in my mind and I have sepia soaked flashbacks of times I lost the lead.

Running wide on the last few corners at Maggiore, dragging into the grass on the last corner at Brands and the fateful Nordschleife incident where I led for the whole race and then belted the wall right at the end and lost it (we don't speak about it in this house)

But when I cross the line in 1st I will always do a slow fist waving thing with gritted teeth, I will look at the cat, the cat will look up and look at me, I nod at the cat, the cat nods at me and then goes back to sleep.

Job done.

Good times

Had my first Sport win yesterday at Monza and first time pole position after a freaky good qualifying lap. Must admit, my heart was racing (pun intended). Was down to 4th place when I got punted into first place on the 2nd chicane - no penalty! Found myself in third place on the last lap when the 1 and 2 decided to take each other out fighting for 1st place - I breezed by them and won. Yup - pretty good race.

Back