The 2 most important things to know about Tuning your car.

When setting up my motorbike for track days, there were 2 VERY important things you needed to know, to make setting the bike

up that much easier (and 1 not so important).

QUESTION 1) In what order should the bike settings be tweaked (Ride height, Preload, Rebound etc etc, this is how its done on the bike... sorta) This way, you are able to "set and forget" some of the settings (simple stuff like tyres, maybe spring rate (which would both vary from track to track). And how you would tweak more complicated settings like TCS and initial torque to suit the power output to the wheels. Because in some cases you would change one setting which would effect another, I need an explanation of what settings effect other settings.

QUESTION 2) What settings effect each different instance.

I am asking this because some settings do not effect certain instances when driving (eg. LSD Acceleration during braking)

Here is what i have come up with.

Instances include;

ALL INSTANCES ARE AFFECTED BY
- TYRES
- SUSPENSION
-- spring rate
-- ride height
-- damper bound
-- damper rebound
- TRANSMISSION
- VCD (VARIABLE CENTRE DIFFERENTIAL) (On 4WD's ONLY)
- WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
-- ballast
-- front/rear balance

a) Race Start
- NOS
- DRIVING AIDS
-- TCS (Traction Control System)
- LSD
-- initial torque
-- LSD acceleration

b) Acceleration
- NOS
- DRIVING AIDS
- DOWNFORCE
- LSD
-- initial torque
-- LSD acceleration

c) Braking
- BRAKE BALANCE CONTROLLER
- SUSPENSION
-- camber angle
- DRIVING AIDS
-- ASM system (oversteer)
-- ASM system (understeer)
- DOWNFORCE
- LSD
-- initial torque
-- LSD deceleration

d) Braking + Cornering
- SUSPENSION
-- camber angle
-- toe angle
-- stabilisers
- DRIVING AIDS
- DOWNFORCE
- LSD
-- initial torque
-- LSD deceleration

e) Cornering (Coasting in corner)
- SUSPENSION
-- camber angle
-- toe angle
-- stabilisers
- DOWNFORCE

f) Cornering + Acceleration
- TYRES
- NOS
- SUSPENSION
-- camber angle
-- toe angle
-- stabilisers
- DRIVING AIDS
- DOWNFORCE
- LSD
-- initial torque
-- LSD acceleration
- AYC CONTROLLER (ACTIVE YAW CONTROLLER) (Only on small amount of cars)

QUESTION 3) This sort of goes hand in hand with question 1. How would you determine good neutral settings for cars before you start tweaking them. Because you can't just set them all to the far left. By having a neutral you will be able to determine the handling of the car pre-tweakage, and setup the suspension (see 1) accordingly eg. "This car has some understeer during braking + cornering and is a bit front heavy, what do i tweak?" Maybe the front springs arent right, or the ASM needs to be configured correctly.

For question 3 I am thinking you could just set to the car defaults, but some cars are set quite differently to others. If there are some good guidlines for question 1 writtin up, it probably wouldnt matter so much, and you could just go with the car defaults and tweak from there.

I hope these provide some food for thought, because after seeing all this tweaking information on this site and gamefaqs.com, you still dont know how the hell to go about it, and what settings affect what.

aprilia4life
a) Race Start
- NOS
- DRIVING AIDS
- LSD
-- initial torque
-- LSD acceleration

c) Braking
- SUSPENSION
-- camber angle
- DRIVING AIDS
- DOWNFORCE
- LSD
-- initial torque
-- LSD deceleration

You left off weight distribution. While the distribution affects all areas, I noticed it make significant differences in braking and starting the race. Pull all the weight in the rear of a RWD car and you can launch with no wheel spin (where normally it spun through the first two gears). The trade off, of course, is that there nose is so light that it brakes horribly in a turn. Just wanted to add that info to your lists. 👍

Back