• 65 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwartz

Premium
United States
Bellingham, WA
Schwartz38
It seems as though every day a new member is creating duplicate threads (I was guilty of this back in the first few days of my membership), using text speak, and violating other AUP that irritate many people.

How do you tell a new member that they have done something wrong or violates the AUP? I have seen on many occasions new members and "veteran" members getting into an argument about the AUP and GTPlanet rules, due to the combination of the new user not knowing the rules and the veteran member acting very condescending and harsh when pointing out the new member's AUP violation. This sometimes can end up with the banning of a new member, which I know we all do not want. Here is what I say when I see a rule violation by a new member(when I am in a good mood):

On GTPlanet there is a search function. Please use that before you create a new thread, as the forums will remain less cluttered and threads will be easier to find with less duplicate threads. Here are a couple threads similar to yours you may want to look at:
-Thread Link 1
-Thread Link 2
You may also want to check out the GTPlanet AUP to avoid accidentally breaking rules on GTPlanet. The GTPlanet FAQ will answer most other questions you may have. Thanks!

Also, how do we get new members to understand what is and is not acceptable before they even start using GTPlanet? I think that just showing them the AUP and telling them to read it isn't good enough, as most people do not care to read it and just skip it (because on most sites, the AUP is not enforced or abided by in anyway, so people think GTPlanet is the same) Here are a few of my Ideas:
- Create a 10 question multiple choice test about the AUP that all registering members must pass before finshing their registration.
- Program the message formatting so that whenever the combination "AUP" shows up in a post, it will always be a clickable link to the GTPlanet AUP, as most people are too lazy to make a link themselves.
- Do not let new users create a thread until they have more experience posting, reading and understanding the workings of GTPlanet. For example, you can't make a thread until you have 25-50 posts on the site, or you have been a member for a week, or how much time you have spent online, etc.

Last edited:
1. There isn't enough time in my life to deduce such a thing.

2. Politely remind them once, and if that fails hit the report button and let the staff take care of it.

Small_Fryz
Back?

You joined a month ago.

I knew someone would bring this up... Well that doesn't change that I understand the rules and gained knowledge on how things work here...
There. I edited the OP. Is that better?

Back?

You joined a month ago.

Apparently a month is "back in the day"

Who knew? We must be getting old or something.

Honestly, just politely point people to the right threads or the AUP, and if they get uppity about it, just, you know, report them. Pretty simple. I've seen this happen several times, waves of new people that are clueless joining and posting. It just is part of a large forum.

Honestly, just politely point people to the right threads or the AUP, and if they get uppity about it, just, you know, report them. Pretty simple. I've seen this happen several times, waves of new people that are clueless joining and posting. It just is part of a large forum.

Back in the days where I lurk in the GT5 forum, lots of people violate the AUP most likely due to confusion or something like that. Informing them very politely without having a maddening tone seems to work every time. I did have a couple who take the cowardice courage to contradict and try to develop a pointless argument. Usually I never liked reporting people, but it's the only way to really take action rather than forcing yourself to their level.

I knew someone would bring this up... Well that doesn't change that I understand the rules and gained knowledge on how things work here...

nhZvw.jpg

Not really, you are more or less bringing up an issue the staff and senior members have been dealing with for the better part of a decade. There are stickies and the AUP. And very few unwritten rules, besides the on about how Famine will always be right in the end.

Back in the days where I lurk in the GT5 forum, lots of people violate the AUP most likely due to confusion or something like that. Informing them very politely without having a maddening tone seems to work every time. I did have a couple who take the cowardice courage to contradict and try to develop a pointless argument. Usually I never liked reporting people, but it's the only way to really take action rather than forcing yourself to their level.

Dude, what?

Not really, you are more or less bringing up an issue the staff and senior members have been dealing with for the better part of a decade. There are stickies and the AUP. And very few unwritten rules, besides the on about how Famine will always be right in the end.

Plus you do actually have to read and agree to them before signing up.
But for the most part its all common sense anyway, I joined at 14 and have yet to receive infractions or warnings.

Not that I expected you to know, but a little while ago in the Premo section we had a thread that was pretty much what you are trying for here. Point and discuss other stupid threads and posts made by members, and as much fun as it was linking and chatting about them the mods choose to lock it in the end (much to my disappointment tbh), so I don't foresee this one staying open for too much longer. They believed it encouraged "band wagon" (linking a stupid thread then 4 of us jumping in and posting) type behaviour, which obviously they do not want to deal with.

The stupidest thread I've ever seen was that one in which the guy threw a fit over the fact that a Left-HD Volvo C30 isn't in GT5.

ParkourVeyron
The stupidest thread I've ever seen was that one in which the guy threw a fit over the fact that a Left-HD Volvo C30 isn't in GT5.

I feel strangely sad at the fact that I laughed out aloud at that. 👍

Not that I expected you to know, but a little while ago in the Premo section we had a thread that was pretty much what you are trying for here. Point and discuss other stupid threads and posts made by members, and as much fun as it was linking and chatting about them the mods choose to lock it in the end (much to my disappointment tbh), so I don't foresee this one staying open for too much longer.

Did you not read why Fryz just posted? :rolleyes:
Loved that Premo thread though :lol:

Heres a new idea: Change the message formatting so whenever someone types "AUP" in a post, it turns into a link to the AUP for anyone to click on.

I find it amusing as to how quickly a topic (which could have had some relevance) can go astray. Now here we are ripping on others. :rolleyes:

3, 2, 1 ....... the Daan Hammer ?

Jimmythehat, Top Gear dream line up thread. Wow.

:lol: Lol he got his posts edited by mods I think, he was taking Top Gear so seriously and personally I think too.

Still the thread strays to far from the topic...

Heres a new idea: Change the message formatting so whenever someone types "AUP" in a post, it turns into a link to the AUP for anyone to click on.

Would that even be possible?

Dude, what?

Here ya go. I rewrote a couple of things :)

Back in the days where I lurk in the GT5 forum, lots of people violate the AUP most likely due to confusion or something like that. Informing them very politely without having a Police-like tone seems to work every time. I did have a couple who were cowardly enough to contradict and try to develop a pointless argument. Usually I never liked reporting people, but it's the only way to really take action rather than forcing yourself to their level.

I think it's simple programming. Just lock terms "AUP" and make it so that it will be hotlinked automatically.

Last edited:
EliteDreamer

Well its all about what the moderators can program into it. Its like making a smiley by typing in ":smileytext:" but instead it makes a link to the AUP whenever you type "AUP" without you having to link it manually. I'm not a programmer so I don't know for sure, but I don't imagine it could be that hard.

Well its all about what the moderators can program into it. Its like making a smiley by typing in ":smileytext:" but instead it makes a link to the AUP whenever you type "AUP" without you having to link it manually. I'm not a programmer so I don't know for sure, but I don't imagine it could be that hard.

Yeah, it's pretty simple. Just lock the terms "AUP" and go from there.

Maybe putting it in brackets like :AUP: otherwise what if you're not telling someone that something or rather is against the AUP.

The Mods could also implement a textspeak Identifier that can pick out any relevant textspeak terms within the supplied archives, like the term "u" will be highlighted and you'll be unable to post it unless you change it to normal English. But I think it's too much work on the Mod's part. You'll have to make the archives yourself, and receive a flood of complaints.

[/IntelInnovator]

Daniel
Maybe putting it in brackets like :AUP: otherwise what if you're not telling someone that something or rather is against the AUP.

If you were against the AUP (you would probably be banned by now anyway :lol:), it would still be helpful for you to use it because you are just refering to it. I'm saying that you could say "Oh look how bad this AUP is." Someone in the discussion could click on it and read it. The AUP isn't biased against people who don't like it, its just simply an AUP, if that makes sense. Besides, if you are having a discussion about the AUP and you see there is a link to it, you don't have to click it, meaning the letters "AUP" are just bold blue text to the person reading it if there is no reason for them to click it. I really don't see anything that could go wrong...

Last edited:
I'd say, leave the moderating to the moderators.

The Mods could also implement a textspeak Identifier that can pick out any relevant textspeak terms within the supplied archives, like the term "u" will be highlighted and you'll be unable to post it unless you change it to normal English. But I think it's too much work on the Mod's part. You'll have to make the archives yourself, and receive a flood of complaints.

[/IntelInnovator]

What if I wanted to write "lollipop"?

Reminds me of the GT5 chat-filter thingy... :lol:

1241Penguin
I'd say, leave the moderating to the moderators.

What if I wanted to write "lollipop"?

Reminds me of the GT5 chat-filter thingy... :lol:

Can you say "Trololollipop"?
trollface.jpg

Of course there are bugs in filter programs but they could be worked out. I don't think a language filter is a very realistic idea anyway...

I don't accept cookies from people who liken "back in the day" to one month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back