The Battle of Apricot Hill (Bonus Inside)

Costa Rica
Costa Rica
D_Shark10
Heh, I like that title for some reason. :D Okay, on with it then. :)

Hello again fellow racers and car enthusiasts alike. Against all odds I’ve decided to write myself another one of these, hopefully it will amount to something decent. Personally I don’t think this one is that much of a thriller, but there’s only one way to find out.
A little info, I refer to the quick left-right bends at this track as the ‘esses’, and the long left turn before the straightaway leading to the hairpin, as the ‘carousel’, hope you don’t mind.

Race: Arcade Mode - Single Race – Professional
Track: Apricot Hill Raceway
My Car: S2000 LM Race Car (fitted with a stage 2 turbo kit -- 782 hp)
My opponents (in starting grid order): Esperante GTR-1, Camaro Race Car, R390 GT1 LM Race Car, Viper GTS-R Team Oreca, Vertigo Race Car.

Clearly the R390 would be my only worthy opponent. In the first lap I found it difficult (though not impossible) to keep up with the Nissan however, but I dealt with it. Beginning lap 2 I noticed that virtually the only chance I could get to pass the R390 would be at the first 2 turns, the GT1 always drew a very awkward line through these and I could catch up somewhat.
There was a scary moment in this lap though when I dug the left tires on the grass a bit while coming up to the hairpin, when I braked the car nearly got sideways on me but I could correct accordingly and not fall behind hardly at all.

It did worry me how fast the Nissan could take the long steady turns, the final turn of the track being included. In fact, at that turn he could really draw away from me and apply some serious speed through the front straight. Starting lap 4 I was almost +0’01.598 behind, he was slowly drifting away from me. A quick glance at my tire wear indicator also told me I’d need some new rubber at the end of this lap. I hoped that the R390 did as well. As luck would have it he did pit along with me, I even managed to catch up and squeeze in the pits before him as we both ducked in.
For some reason I had a harder time than usual handling this car on cold tires and before we even reached the ‘carousel’ again, the R390 was back in front of me.

I was familiar with the handling of the S2000 by now though and laps 5 through 7 saw me chase the R390 by less than 0.3 secs, even though I slipped off the track and onto the grass finishing the ‘esses’ a couple times I still managed to keep it tight. I was glued to the guy and not even the sparks from the chassis of his hitting the rumble strips would make me twitch. :D On lap 8, I got past the R390 on the inside at the left bend before the chicane, we were already coming up on the Camaro and Esperante when we dived into the pits for the second and final time. Coming out of the pits I was -0’02.267 ahead of the Nissan.
Still, I just couldn’t push my Honda all the way ‘cause of the cold tires and my lead got decimated to -0’00.103 when we crossed the start/finish line beginning lap 10.

We were very close together going through the front straight (as the split time demonstrates) and it surprised me when the R390 found some renewed strength and agility to threaten me in the first 2 turns, through which he had been quite clumsy in all of the previous laps. He muscled his way past me there but I wasn’t about to hand the lead over however, I stepped up the pace and the R390 and me went through the ‘esses’ perfectly side-by-side (I kid you not) he managed to squeeze in front of me again before reaching the ‘carousel’ though. My tires struggled to keep my car on a decent line through the long left turn but they pulled it off somehow, and I was able to draft the Nissan very close behind on the straight going into the hairpin, I wasn’t close enough to take to the inside and nab the lead however.

Exiting the hairpin, I peeked to the left of the R390 and slammed the throttle as far as it could go, the ground shook as both our cars drag raced one next to the other through the slight left-right bends after the hairpin. I was to the inside of the left turn before the chicane and made my pass there.
Nevertheless all I could think of was the great acceleration with which the Nissan could exit the last turn. I took the last final turn as well and fast as I could, I still heard the GT1’s engine grow louder as I flew down the front straight en route to the finish. To my delight though, he couldn’t catch up fast enough and finished +0’00.691 behind me.

For the record, here’s how it all looked at the end:

1) S2000 LM Race Car - 12’59.507
2) R390 GT1 LM Race Car - +0’00.691
3) Viper GTS-R Team Oreca - +0’54.723
4) Vertigo Race Car - +1’04.418
5) Esperante GTR-1 - +1 Lap
6) Camaro Race Car - +1 Lap

Best Lap: 1’13.294 (Lap 10)

Now, while my Honda had 240 horses more than the R390, it also had 150 kgs more. Not to mention the Nissan had better handling due to its larger wheelbase and overall design. So all in all it was a close match up. :cool:

Hello again. I got done with another memorable one and decided it'd be better to just post it in here instead of making yet another thread.
I think you drifters might cope well with this one. :)

Who said ‘drift’ racing is way slower than ‘grip’ racing? :grumpy: Well whoever it was!… They were right. :P
However that doesn’t mean it can’t be close with the right circumstances. ;)
For some reason I can’t begin to explain, I did the ‘80’s Sports Car’ Trial Mountain II race, maybe it was the massive amounts of Initial D episodes I had seen prior, ‘cause for kicks I decided to take my white RX-7 INFINI III (FC,J) very ‘Ryousuke’-like I know. I didn’t think the competition would be too hard since it was an ‘amateur’ league race.

The rest of the field looked like this: Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (S.S Version,J) - Silvia K’s (S13 1800cc,J) - Mazda MX-5 Miata (J) - Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (AE86 Type,J) – Skyline GTS-t Type M (R32,J)

The race started and by the time I reached the tight right-hander at the top of the hill, after the chicane, I grabbed the lead. I drifted too wide however and my car slid off onto the grass, I managed to keep the throttle open while sliding through the grass and rejoin the track in 4th place, in front of the AE86 and the R32.
I drifted the following turns as best as I could and surprisingly it was pretty close, well it was an ‘amateur’ league race too, but even during the back straightaway I couldn’t gain much on the first 3 cars, although that was perhaps due to my poor exit speed (did I mention I’m still a rookie drifter?)

I got around the S13 on the downhill twisty section before the start/finish line (3rd place) and then passed the Miata at the chicane (2nd place)
Note: Remember that during fast corners AI cars slow down much more than necessary. Particularly in a level like the one I was racing at, which explains my ‘blowing-by-everybody’ at the first parts of the track.

I squeezed by the Shigeno AE86 just before the tight right-hander at the top of the hill, on the exit he was right on my rear bumper, through the slightly uphill left-hander that came next I could still keep in front (some great shots of my RX-7 sideways could be viewed from the S.S. on the replay 👍 ) At the long, hairpin before the back straightaway I almost spun out and had to lay off the gas more than usual, which gave the Shigeno AE86 a chance to get side-by-side with me. We stayed like so up until the right-hander at the end of the straight, I also overcooked this turn though and the S.S. got in front of me. I got really close to him going down the twisty, final section of the track and beginning lap 3 I was +0’00.002 behind him, or in other words, right next to the freakin’ guy.

I got around him at the chicane and from then on kept a lead of 1.2-1.3 seconds. Except I judged the right turn after the back straightaway very wrong and couldn’t even begin to drift the car, I had to slam into the wall outside and the S.S was now just over 0.5 seconds behind me.
At this point I really would’ve liked to stop my drifting act and get serious to secure the win. However with the current settings on my FC, the car could do nothing but drift, so I really didn’t have much choice.
I didn’t carry very good exit speed at the left bend before the last tunnel, and the Shigeno only got closer as we went up the small hill leading into the tunnel, through it I tried to keep the RX-7 as steady as could be but it still got sideways on me.

I drew a very tight and clean apex though and was sure the S.S. AE86 didn’t have any gap to get by me, next thing I knew the Hachi-Roku was attempting to pass me on the outside with the 2 left tires of his tearing up the grass.
Who was this guy? Takumi Fujiwara? :odd:
Even though I was using the ‘in-car’ camera, I knew we were side-by-side through the twisty, final section of the race, and the replay afterwards confirmed it.

He was on the inside on the second-last turn, he took it nice and tight and inched away slightly, on the last turn I was on the inside and took a tight line as well and on the final straight my RX-7 drag raced the AE86 and could creep up front in time to cross the finish line 1st with a time of 4’55.288, the Shigeno AE86 coming across +0’00.203 later.

This one was a real thriller for me; in no way did I expect it to be so close. I thought for sure I’d either win by a mile or loose by a mile, but the combination of my drifting and the slow “amateur” cars created some good fun. :D
Which brings me to a question I wanted to ask you guys focusing on tight racing with close action.
  • Is it about close racing in the highest class to prove one’s superiority and skill?
  • Is it about mere tight racing regardless of the class for the biggest rush available?
    [/list=A]
    Personally, I like to think it’s about mere tight racing but it’s too tough to calculate and have a good race in lower classes. Not to mention all GT3 players want to go as fast as they can.

Nice write-up, one of the few I enjoyed. Nice to see more people drifting. As for the question, I'd say Option B. Everyone can get a 1000Hp Skyline and beat everyone. Takes skill to actually race ith the pack, in my opinion.

I'll go with "B" Tight challenging races are the only way to go. I just ran the PD cup and won 7 races with a total margin of about 2min 40sec. Of which one race was 1'01. So the other 6 races split 1'39 seconds.

When you're running 20 laps, on a 4 laps pit schedule and the AI are running 7 laps, you rely on your ability to race on red tires.

Tight challenging races at any level are great fun.

AO

Tight racing can be really fun. BUT, if it's the make-it-or-break-it race in a championship, then it's kinda fun to pull away from everyone.
It seems that sometimes the best strategy is to get one lap up, and then play around in the field.
The close wins are so so much more fun and more gratifying, though.

Back