• Thread starter a6m5
  • 37 comments

a6m5

#ChopOn
Premium
United States
OREGON
a6m5zero
It's late. I'm listening to the Beatles' anthology("got to get you into my life" at the moment). They are pretty much my favorite band of all-time, and I started thinking about Paul's recent break up, "Let It Be" DVD that still isn't released, what if John Lennon were still alive, etc., etc.

Anyways, for starters, who is your favorite Beatle? My ranking's like this: 1)Paul 2)John 3)George 4)Ringo

Feel free to discuss anything related to the Beatles!

P.S. Has anybody heard anymore about the "Let It Be" release on DVD? There were pretty consistent rumors last year about its' release sometime in '05, but it never happened. I'm starting to wonder if they are waiting until every member has passed away or something. :grumpy:

When I was a little kid, six, seven years old, I often daydreamed I was the bass player, and the only Beatle from America.

Paul played guitar with John and George.

I was just listening to "My Life" and "Twist and Shout" like 40 minutes ago.

I last bought one of their CDs back in the mid '80s when they first were released on CD.

Even though I'm only 19, I'm quite a fan of the Beatles. Their early work is catchy and fun and the later stuff is revolutionary and groundbreaking. My favourite songs of theirs are "In My Life" and "A Day In The Life" (especially the Lennon parts). My favourite of their early songs is probably "She Loves You".

I heard once that in the early 60's, they were numbers 1,2,3,4 and 5 on the US Billboard charts at the same time, which is some feat if it's true. And I also read that it's estimated they sold over 1 billion records worldwide by the mid eighties, which is also ridiculous. I think I might have seen those on Wikipedia.

Although I do like a lot of Paul's songs, I have to say I prefer John, perhaps more for his work after the Beatles period than during it. I also like his psychedelic songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever".

markj_87
Even though I'm only 19, I'm quite a fan of the Beatles. Their early work is catchy and fun and the later stuff is revolutionary and groundbreaking. My favourite songs of theirs are "In My Life" and "A Day In The Life" (especially the Lennon parts). My favourite of their early songs is probably "She Loves You".
I couldn't agree more. I've always said it was my favorite Lennon song, including his solo works. Now, if I were to come up with my favorite McCartney song, it'll be bit harder. :D It would be along the lines of "Let It Be", "The Long And Winding Road", something like that.

Solid: I never thought about becoming the Fifth Beatle, but I did have a dream of meeting Paul one time. Probably one of my top-5 favorite dreams of all-time. :D

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is my favorite album of all time :bowdown:

If you're interested in learning a bit more about the individual songs, I can recommend a great book by Ian MacDonald called "Revolution In The Head: The Beatles' Records and The Sixties" (spot my review?? ;) ) - very good book that not only lists every Beatles song ever recorded (in chronological order), but also gives an in-depth review and analysis of each song. There is even a timeline and copious footnotes that put everything into context - gives you a much better appreciation of what some of the songs are about, and how they came about in the first place.

I have tonnes of Beatles' stuff, but my favourite solo stuff is George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" which is a fantastic album - IMO it is musically head and shoulders above anything that Lennon ever did, and it's not as annoyingly saccharin as MacCartney's output (although I do enjoy alot of Macca's stuff)...

As for Beatles' albums, I have the following:- Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album*, Abbey Road, Let It Be, Anthology Vol 3 and the great 'Past Masters Vol 1' which has many great singles that were never released on full albums, - also have several bootleg (legally procured!) mp3's (mostly from here (White Album sessions)....

* I've now had three copies of this on CD but still don't actually own it... first copy was never returned by an ex :( - 2nd copy was lost after I took it to a bar where I worked - it got badly scratched anyway.. :indiff: 3rd copy was stolen from my lab at work last year :mad:, and was a US import (well, my Mum brought it back from San Francisco!)... it remains my most borrowed album however - the fact that I got the album for the first time when I was 16 (1991) and in the 15 years since, I have only had the actual CD in my possession for about 12 months, is really quite astonishing!

edit: I'd say that George was my 'favourite Beatle' - his contribution was slight compared to Lennon/Macca, but more than made up for it in sheer quality. I also liked his personality. Despite not buying into the whole Krishna business myself, I admired him for his sincerity and genuine interest in all things spiritual. He also had a great sense of humour, something reflected in his 1976 album, "33 1/3" (named so because he was that age when he made the album....) especially the song "This Song", written with the help of Monty Python's Eric Idle, and a viciously sarcastic retort to the legal judgement that his 1970 song "My Sweet Lord" was 'plagerism'... ("This Song" is a deliberate pastiche of a Motown song, and Eric Idle can be heard in the middle of the song saying "It could be 'Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch'... NO! It sounds more like 'Rescue Me!' " - since they use the same bass riff in "This Song" :) )

It's also staggering to think that George was only 27 when the Beatles split up :eek:...

Touring Mars
If you're interested in learning a bit more about the individual songs, I can recommend a great book by Ian MacDonald called "Revolution In The Head: The Beatles' Records and The Sixties" (spot my review?? ;) ) - very good book that not only lists every Beatles song ever recorded (in chronological order), but also gives an in-depth review and analysis of each song. There is even a timeline and copious footnotes that put everything into context - gives you a much better appreciation of what some of the songs are about, and how they came about in the first place.
I have a Japanese book like that. Very dirty and old book, but very interesting info and takes on the songs. I might have to check this one out as well. 👍

Touring Mars
I have tonnes of Beatles' stuff, but my favourite solo stuff is George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" which is a fantastic album - IMO it is musically head and shoulders above anything that Lennon ever did, and it's not as annoyingly saccharin as MacCartney's output (although I do enjoy alot of Macca's stuff)...

As for Beatles' albums, I have the following:- Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album*, Abbey Road, Let It Be, Anthology Vol 3 and the great 'Past Masters Vol 1' which has many great singles that were never released on full albums, - also have several bootleg (legally procured!) mp3's (mostly from here (White Album sessions)....

* I've now had three copies of this on CD but still don't actually own it... first copy was never returned by an ex :( - 2nd copy was lost after I took it to a bar where I worked - it got badly scratched anyway.. :indiff: 3rd copy was stolen from my lab at work last year :mad:, and was a US import (well, my Mum brought it back from San Francisco!)... it remains my most borrowed album however - the fact that I got the album for the first time when I was 16 (1991) and in the 15 years since, I have only had the actual CD in my possession for about 12 months, is really quite astonishing!
My favorite album used to be "Revolver", but I think it's "Let It Be" currently. Luckily, I'm still on my first copy of the "White Album" that my dad bought me when I was like thirteen. Couple of my favorite later-Harrison songs are on it too. "Savoy Truffle"(supposedly about Clapton's toothache) and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". My favorite on that album is "Rocky Raccoon" though.

Touring Mars
It's also staggering to think that George was only 27 when the Beatles split up :eek:...
That is unbelievable. :eek:

Event: I do have that album on vinyl and CD. Great album!

Touring Mars

How about him at age 17 playing in Germany. The Germany police found out he was playing in a strip bar with the Beatles, and they threw him out of the country for being a minor.

a6m5
My favorite album used to be "Revolver", but I think it's "Let It Be" currently. Luckily, I'm still on my first copy of the "White Album" that my dad bought me when I was like thirteen. Couple of my favorite later-Harrison songs are on it too. "Savoy Truffle"(supposedly about Clapton's toothache) and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". My favorite on that album is "Rocky Raccoon" though.
I think everyone goes through a 'Let It Be' phase - my favourite track on that was 'I Me Mine', which I later found out was the last thing the Beatles ever recorded...

The White Album is so varied (that's the polite term!!) that it's hard to pick a favourite track, but I like 'Cry Baby Cry', 'Dear Prudence' and increasingly 'Long, Long, Long' as well...

Solid Lifters
they threw him out of the country for being a minor.
Yes, I believe 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' was indeed written in the key of A Minor... :) :P

Ahh, a great idea for a thread! I discovered the Beatles after hearing a remix of Tomorrow Never Knows on a TV documentary, and after rifling through my Dad’s old stuff, I came across Revolver- I’ve been smitten ever since. I’m a Rubber Soul onwards type of guy, and like Mars I’m an Apple Scruff through and through.:D My collection of Beatles LPs singles and CDs is pretty much complete.

I'll let itunes be the judge of some of my favs:
(all over 200 plays)

Not Guilty (A3)
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Across the Universe (wildlife version anybody?)
Tomorrow Never Knows
Strawberry Fields
I’m Only Sleeping
In My Life
Long Long Long

Oh, and a6m5, I presume that your Paul song is Hey Jude?

Event
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is my favorite album of all time :bowdown:

It's a great album.

Right now I'm really realizing how much I relate to the late George Harrison.

"I, Me, Mine" and "I Want to Tell You" really take the words right out of my mouth.

Samberto
Oh, and a6m5, I presume that your Paul song is Hey Jude?
Surprisingly(even to me!), I don't think it's even in the top-10. My favorite Paul stuff is "Let It Be", "The Long And Winding Road", "Maybe I'm Amazed"(which he wrote as Beatle, released on his solo album), songs like that. I especially love his cuts from the Beatles' third anthology. 👍

One of your picks; "Tomorrow Never Knows" is amazing. I think the drum's played back backwards, right? They came up with some neat stuff through their experiments!

a6m5
One of your picks; "Tomorrow Never Knows" is amazing. I think the drum's played back backwards, right? They came up with some neat stuff through their experiments!
Yes, an amazing track that certainly opened my eyes to Ringo’s talents (just don’t let him near the mic…unless it’s for Goodnight.) Lovely stuff that provides the perfect antidote to view that the Beatles are only good for the early career stuff that’s beaten to death on old man radio.:ill: Incidentally, although there are a number of reversed components to the song, the main drum track is normal play. Years ago I reversed the song to listen to the forward guitar parts. :D

As you might have guessed from my itunes play-counts, I’m not a great Paul fan, though I do go in for some of his Beatles work. Of note:

Eleanor
For No One
USSR
Martha
Blackbird

Oh, and you may need to invest in a Laserdisc player...:dopey:

Samberto
Oh, and you may need to invest in a Laserdisc player...:dopey:
I own a Laserdisc Player, which I bought long after I bought my DVD Player. :dopey: I got into DVDs early, which in turn got me into movies. At that time, there were countless classics that weren't available on DVD, but you could(cheaply) on Laserdisc. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Grand Prix(just yesterday!), they are all out on DVD now, but still no Let It Be. :guilty: Since Let It Be costs few hundred bucks on Laserdisc, I think I'll just wait for the DVD release. :D

I remember, as a lesson in cultural diffusion, the geography teacher played "Within You Without You" for the class. When he said that the song was from The Beatles, people were like "Whoa, dude, really? What the... ?"

So yeah, much of their stuff is just mindblowing.

a6m5
Since Let It Be costs few hundred bucks on Laserdisc, I think I'll just wait for the DVD release. :D
It’s being sold by a madman, but it might be worth a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Beatles-Let...goryZ381QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I especially love his cuts from the Beatles' third anthology.
I also love Anthology 3, and I would probably pick Junk as my fav Paul track on the compilation. Other highlights for me include:

Julia (hearing John chatting to Paul at the end of the track is wonderful. )

Not Guilty (hard to believe that the song was passed-over for tracks such as Why Don’t We Do It In The Road.)

Because (so beautiful after being stripped back to vocals)

Gently Weeps (despite lacking Clapton’s Les Paul fuelled solo, I really enjoy this version.)

Happiness Is A Warm Gun (love this demo full of John’s quirks. Yoko-Ono-no Yoko-Ono-oyes...:D )

Hacker
...played "Within You Without You" for the class. When he said that the song was from The Beatles, people were like "Whoa, dude, really? What the... ?"
It’s certainly one of my fav songs on Pepper, and in my view it’s George’s best Indian infused track.👍

I once heard a joke that: "Ringo wasn't the best drummer in the world - infact, he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles" - presumably because Pete Best used to be the drummer and/or Paul MacCartney did some drumming in the (short) period around 1968 when Ringo left the band (e.g. 'The Ballad Of John And Yoko') - I used to chuckle at that joke, but now I whole-heartedly disagree with it. A closer listen to much of Ringo's drumming reveals that he was indeed an incredibly inventive drummer - indeed, he had to be in order to come up with such a variety of accompaniments to Lennon, MacCartney and Harrison's prolific and extremely diverse output... No better examples can be found than on 'Revolver' - when they started experimenting with reverse tape loops etc., but the original drumming on tracks like 'She Said She Said' (my personal favourite from that album) and of course 'Tomorrow Never Knows' was so far ahead of it's time...

Samberto
Not Guilty (hard to believe that the song was passed-over for tracks such as Why Don’t We Do It In The Road.)
Indeed - infact, I could name one or two other songs that could have been dropped in favour of Not Guilty as well *cough* Revolution #9 *cough*

My friend Stefan told me an interesting/amusing (if slightly dubious) story about the fact that Pete Best (the original drummer of The Beatles) owns the rights to the album title 'Best of The Beatles'... hence why there has never been a Beatles compilation of that name... almost certainly not true, but makes you think, eh?

Anyway, who was the fifth Beatle? Stuart Sutcliffe, Pete Best or Eric Clapton? It could also be George Martin (arguably the most deserving of the moniker, since he was responsible for the actual sound of the band, and a major creative force of the band), Brian Epstein or even Yoko Oh-No.... :sly: :confused:

Mousy Mars
Indeed - infact, I could name one or two other songs that could have been dropped in favour of Not Guilty as well *cough* Revolution #9 *cough*
I can say in all seriousness that I’d rather listen to Rev 9 than some of Paul’s sappier tunes.:lol: Just don’t go to sleep with it playing through the headphones. Mind you, the end of Long, Long, Long is always enough to scare one silly if alone in the middle of the night.:nervous:
Brian Epstein or even Yoko Oh-No....
You couldn’t pass that one up, could you.:D In regard to the fifth Beatle, I’m pleased that you nominated Martin, as in my mind his collaboration with the four (particularly with John) was central to the musical depth of the work produced. Need I mention the delectable keys in In My Life?

Anybody have an opinion on the musical output of Sean and Julian?

Samberto
I can say in all seriousness that I’d rather listen to Rev 9 than some of Paul’s sappier tunes.:lol: Just don’t go to sleep with it playing through the headphones. Mind you, the end of Long, Long, Long is always enough to scare one silly if alone in the middle of the night.:nervous:
Yes, I used to like those MacCartney tunes, but now they kind of make me wanna barf slightly... although I can play 'Martha My Dear' on the piano and 'Blackbird' on the guitar ;)

Samberto
You couldn’t pass that one up, could you.:D In regard to the fifth Beatle, I’m pleased that you nominated Martin, as in my mind his collaboration with the four (particularly with John) was central to the musical depth of the work produced. Need I mention the delectable keys in In My Life?

Yeh, sorry, couldn't resist :D The Beatles may have been a massive phenomenon between 1962-1964, but they were still 'just a pop band' until Martin nurtured their creative side and allowed them to hone their songwriting skills - after the quantum leap that was 'Rubber Soul', he took their music into previously unchartered terrority...

Samberto
Haven't heard much by Julian, and nothing by Sean - I'd guess that the genius of the father is probably not much of a reflection on their talents... I suppose they are not making dresses for a living, unlike some other Beatle sprog I could mention...:ill:

edit: :lol:, so you spotted the review then?

Touring Mars
... although I can play 'Martha My Dear' on the piano and 'Blackbird' on the guitar ;)
Ah, but did you learn ‘em from the Beatles sheet music book with the naughty psychedelic pics??:embarrassed: ;)
edit: :lol:, so you spotted the review then?
Yep, we certainly have a prolific Amazonian in our midst. Good thing that you decided on another user name for GTP- beware of Chrissy Mouse the smod.:D

Ok folks, it’s trivia time…

How is the below guitar significant to the Beatles?

sambr1ov.jpg

Ringo's son, Zach Starkey's a hell of a drummer also. I saw him once with Oasis last summer. I was impressed. 👍

Touring Mars
I Anyway, who was the fifth Beatle? Stuart Sutcliffe, Pete Best or Eric Clapton? It could also be George Martin (arguably the most deserving of the moniker, since he was responsible for the actual sound of the band, and a major creative force of the band), Brian Epstein or even Yoko Oh-No.... :sly: :confused:
Oh-No. :lol: Don't forget Billy Preston!

Listen at the end of Good Morning Good Morning. To drum on the bass drum that fast Ringo must've been using two feet or something.

Touring Mars
Does it gently weep? 💡
Yes, Lucy the Les Paul. Given to George by Eric, and used by Eric for Gently Weeps. I think that I read that it was stolen in the later years of Harrison’s life, though it was recovered in a swap for an exceedingly expensive ‘59 Les Paul.
Going to provide us with a trivia question from one of your nice books? :D

Note for guitar anoraks:
Lucy is a stripped 1957 LP- easy to spot as the maple cap is not made up of two symmetrical pieces.

Samberto
Yes, Lucy the Les Paul. Given to George by Eric, and used by Eric for Gently Weeps. I think that I read that it was stolen in the later years of Harrison’s life, though it was recovered in a swap for an exceedingly expensive ‘59 Les Paul.
Going to provide us with a trivia question from one of your nice books? :D

Note for guitar anoraks:
Lucy is a stripped 1957 LP- easy to spot as the maple cap is not made up of two symmetrical pieces.
:eek: You won't believe me, but that was a total guess!

Not really a 'trivia' question, but just a general question which might be too easy for some (?!)... without listening to the song, what is John Lennon saying at start of 'Come Together' on Abbey Road? (it's not that apparent on Abbey Road, but it is clearer if you listen to version on Anthology Vol. 3)

Samberto
Looks like this "Let It Be" Laserdisc went for little over $80(I think).

Samberto
I've heard an album(tape) by Julian Lennon once before, but I just remember it being forgettable. :D Same goes for Sean as well. I heard some session recording by him and his friends, but it was just OK.

Touring Mars
I suppose they are not making dresses for a living, unlike some other Beatle sprog I could mention...:ill:
That's Stella, right? I'm pretty sure I saw her at the Portland show that I got to go to. I thought she was purdy.

Touring Mars
Not really a 'trivia' question, but just a general question which might be too easy for some (?!)... without listening to the song, what is John Lennon saying at start of 'Come Together' on Abbey Road? (it's not that apparent on Abbey Road, but it is clearer if you listen to version on Anthology Vol. 3)
No flippin' idea. I'm going to have to bring that song up on iTunes!

a6m5
I've heard an album(tape) by Julian Lennon once before, but I just remember it being forgettable. :D Same goes for Sean as well. I heard some session recording by him and his friends, but it was just OK.
Julian can be rather sappy (remember Salt Water?) but secretly we all wish that he joined with the three for a “reunion” prior to George’s death.;) There are one or two good tracks on Photograph Smile, though listening to his stuff is a bit difficult, as we secretly want him to be John, yet we slate him as a rip-off when he does.:guilty: Sean is quite original, and Into The Sun is worth a listen.

Mars
... without listening to the song, what is John Lennon saying at start of 'Come Together' on Abbey Road? (it's not that apparent on Abbey Road, but it is clearer if you listen to version on Anthology Vol. 3)
Hmm, it always sounded like shoop, shoot or snoop to me. Prophesying the rise of Hip Hop? :sly:

Back