Boring Car Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Sage Ages
  • 328 comments

Sage Ages

(Banned)
Antarctica
Antarctica
Every now and then, car manufacturers make a car that can only be described as dull, beige, and just plain boring. I'm looking at you 90s America. Most of us condemn these into the back of our minds and never speak of them, but some of us appreciate them. Let out your dullness here.

Let us begin with a Buick. A fine example of Americana.

Buick_Roadmaster_Wagon.jpg

Being a big weirdo fan of the 8th-gen Civic, I would like to expand upon your sentiments:

33419450005_original.jpg

41432938.jpg

It seems like some of my personal favorite cars are the ones I didn't even like at first, such as the eighth-gen Civic back when it was first introduced in '06. To me, they looked too modern and funky; too big of a departure from past Civics. It took until the ninth-gen hit a couple years ago for me to start appreciating these cars. At the time, they were a bit of a risk from Honda, not looking anything like its competitors at the time, most of which falling either into the categories of conservative or lackluster. It's easy to say that these blend in nowadays, but I like to focus on the subtleties. Whereas most cars are starting to look progressively blobbier with each iteration, the Civic sports a crisp look that is still fresh some eight years later.

2011-Honda-Civic-Sedan-DX-4dr-Sedan-Interior-2.png

Just as polarizing as the exterior was at the time, the spacecraft-inspired interior was and still is quite divisive. Having ridden in (but not driven!) one of these, the interior's just as distorting as it is striking in pictures - but not necessarily in a bad way. You sit low in the car, and the dash spans quite a ways in front of you. A long windshield exuberates this effect, making you feel like you're quite far from the edge of the Civic's short hood. It's an odd visual effect, but must be something you acclimate to, seeing as this is not a complaint I've heard from Civic owners. I'm quite a fan of the Civic's unconventional interior styling; like the exterior, it still looks fresh today.

I always had a soft spot for the fish face Malibu. Just so charmingly adequate and honest in a period where most of Detroit cars (including every every Malibu since I'd say) struggled to accomplish "creative incompetence." And the Maxx had some downright clever ideas put into what was always obviously a completely misguided bit of earnestness.

2004-2005_Chevrolet_Malibu_--_05-01-2010.jpg

And the same must be said for the countless A Body variations still running around everywhere after their supposed successor first generation W Bodies with their pretentious Taurus aping have all rotted into the ground:

89-90_Buick_Century.jpg

Last edited:
The most boring but loveable car out there, I think.

Jeep_Cherokee_2-door.jpg

It's simply a really good tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

I see the XJ as the mini-sledge of the car world.
71xU%2Bf8sJCL._SX522_.jpg

It's not very sophisticated, but it's also not ungainly (full size-sledge). It's very useful and can be deployed in a wide variety of applications. It's tough, simple, and everyone should have one.

1st-Mercury-Tracer.jpg

1st gen Mercury Tracer, a badge engineered 323, I was given a automatic '87 model and I drove it for a few weeks while my Legacy was down with a bad clutch. I loved this little car. So small compared to everything on the road now. even with 80hp and a 3speed auto I have so much fun.

Being a big weirdo fan of the 8th-gen Civic, I would like to expand upon your sentiments:

33419450005_original.jpg

41432938.jpg

It seems like some of my personal favorite cars are the ones I didn't even like at first, such as the eighth-gen Civic back when it was first introduced in '06. To me, they looked too modern and funky; too big of a departure from past Civics. It took until the ninth-gen hit a couple years ago for me to start appreciating these cars. At the time, they were a bit of a risk from Honda, not looking anything like its competitors at the time, most of which falling either into the categories of conservative or lackluster. It's easy to say that these blend in nowadays, but I like to focus on the subtleties. Whereas most cars are starting to look progressively blobbier with each iteration, the Civic sports a crisp look that is still fresh some eight years later.

2011-Honda-Civic-Sedan-DX-4dr-Sedan-Interior-2.png

Just as polarizing as the exterior was at the time, the spacecraft-inspired interior was and still is quite divisive. Having ridden in (but not driven!) one of these, the interior's just as distorting as it is striking in pictures - but not necessarily in a bad way. You sit low in the car, and the dash spans quite a ways in front of you. A long windshield exuberates this effect, making you feel like you're quite far from the edge of the Civic's short hood. It's an odd visual effect, but must be something you acclimate to, seeing as this is not a complaint I've heard from Civic owners. I'm quite a fan of the Civic's unconventional interior styling; like the exterior, it still looks fresh today.
Can't mention the Civic without the CSX. <3
csxcivic1xq3.jpg

1st-Mercury-Tracer.jpg
chevrolet-nova-38.jpg

America do get lazy when i comes to making cars. These are Japanese and far from boring. Especially the Toyota AE82 Corolla liftback.

1996-97_Ford_Taurus.jpg

My parents owned one of these, and I loved it. Still to this day one of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in. Shame that they were let down by polarizing exterior design and unreliable transmissions.

1996-97_Ford_Taurus.jpg

My parents owned one of these, and I loved it. Still to this day one of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in. Shame that they were let down by polarizing exterior design and unreliable transmissions.
My mate has one of those that he inherited from his grandmother. He got it and almost immediately installed an illegal nitrous system on it. Apparently it works well, too.

Back