The Boys: S1, S2, S3,… + Gen VTV 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 43 comments
Australia
Australia
I'm not posting a trailer because it spoils the first 7 minutes of Episode 1. I've been looking forward to this and the firt 7minutes 47 seconds are pretty good. In fact, quite comical. Like Kick Ass, Marvel MCU, The Incredibles 2, Watchmen all in one.

Last edited:
Genuinely surprised they're adapting it considering some of what goes down in the comics. I hope its somewhat faithful but if it becomes one of those "fifteen minute sex scene in every second episode" shows like I think it might, I'll be disappointed.

Been a looooooong time since I read it but, as I said in another thread, it should make Kick Ass look pretty tame.

Yeah same. Someone told me that the trailer itself is a spoiler.
https://screenbinge.com/tv-shows/how-to-watch-the-boys/
YEp. Funnily enough, I watched the final trailer after the first episode. Good thing I didn't watch it before.
Genuinely surprised they're adapting it considering some of what goes down in the comics. I hope its somewhat faithful but if it becomes one of those "fifteen minute sex scene in every second episode" shows like I think it might, I'll be disappointed.

Been a looooooong time since I read it but, as I said in another thread, it should make Kick Ass look pretty tame.
After 4 episodes, hasn't been much sex. Nothing close to American Gods and shows like that. More storytelling.
I've never read the comics or heard of this show until I saw flashes of the first trailer. Even then, I didn't know what to expect until that first 7 minutes. Good stuff.

YEp.
After 4 episodes, hasn't been much sex. Nothing close to American Gods and shows like that. More storytelling.
I've never read the comics or heard of this show until I saw flashes of the first trailer. Even then, I didn't know what to expect until that first 7 minutes. Good stuff.
good to know! I must have fast forwarded around 10% of American Gods because of ten minute sex scenes that add nothing to the show... I'll give this a shot. I definitely recommend the comic, it's up there with some of the best I've read like Nemesis and Supergod (Supergod definitely deserves an adaptation of some kind, it's the most terrifyingly apocalyptic thing i've read... Except a short sci-fi I once read where a businessman inadvertently starts the end of days, which ends with a 15 page speech in Latin by Satan as he rises out of death valley - sadly can't remember what it's called)

Also, The Boys is pretty long - over 70 issues in 12 volumes, so this show could have a decently long life.

There seems to be a fair bit of male nudity but all the female nudity seems to have been excised.

I wish Preacher had been as faithful as this show seems to be to the comics plot it was based on.

Started watching this last night.. just binged 5 episodes! what a crazy show.. crazy as hell at times and the occasional x rated scenes but an absolute must watch for the darker side of superhero stories ;)
Really good acting by all the cast but Karl Urban is cool as a cucumber in this role :cool: off to watch the rest of the season and cant wait for season 2 👍

Just finished.....WOW!
Agreed, they really nailed it! I sat down to watch ep 1 with my brother, who hasn't read the comic, and by ep 2 we were hooked and finished the series within a couple of days - the characters are so on point and the strange brutal/playful feeling of the whole universe is really strong, which reminded of reading the comic like "wow how did this get published".

I thought the soundtrack was excellent and there was a lack of mumble-talking, drama-whispering and people being drowned out by diagetic sound such as become really popular in TV recently - I hate having to turn the volume up to hear whispered conversations and then immediately down when the explosions begin, and I think I only had to do that once; likewise the lighting and colour pallete were a breath of fresh air; I expected a very dark, grey and brown sort of series like many of the "gritty" reboots and takes that grace our screens, but the visual design gives a great sense of difference between locations, like Homelander's "hometown" with lots of warm, golden light with lush splashes of colour that tinge towards that 1950s advertising look, contrasted to the dull, lightbulb-lit very plain house The Deep finds himself in, and the dingy, dim and dodgy bars our heroes seem to gravitate to. I love to see that rather than everything on the dark and semi-visible just because it's a dark show.

It bears pointing out how good the casting is, too; everytime a new character from the comic appeared, I recognised them instantly and the performances are really on point balancing the gravity of their situations with the outright bizareness of some of the events that unfold. No one character really carried the show, but Anthony Starr as Homelander particularly nailed a very complex role and brought a lot of threat to the plot, as you're never really sure how he'll react to anything.

All in all I think The Boys was an excellent adaptation and I'd love to see it go on into another season; the plot of the comics really does get insane and I can see viewers being engrossed in its twists and turns; but I feel with its very distinctive delivery, endearing characters and unique brand of brutality, it will have already blown the socks off many first time viewers and has earned its place on the Amazon Prime homescreen for a long time to come.

I rate it highly and thoroughly recommend it. This adaptation was a reach - I know several comic fans, and not squeamish ones, who couldn't really handle the intensity of The Boys, but the adaptation has done a brilliant job with its moments of humour and while some brutal stuff happens, it all has importance to the plot and characters and isn't played just for shock value, unlike something like Kick Ass 2 (comic) that I honestly felt threw in a gang rape just to be as shocking as possible. Go watch it - you'll laugh, cringe, and sometimes might not believe what you're seeing.

/impromptureview

Season 2 has the okay. I believe there's also a Season 3 getting approval.
I also heard The Expanse was picked up for a 5th season, with the 4th dropping in December. Prime video is killing it right now.

My fiancée and I have just started watching season 1. Finished the first 6 episodes in the last few days.

I haven’t read the comic so I’m watching this fresh. Loving it so far. Brutal but brilliant.

I think they did another last-minute ass-pull (like with Becca being Homelander's homemaker at the end of season 1) with
the Senator being the scanner.

They managed to pull it off last time so I hope this is going to be okay.

Last edited:
Anybody who likes The Boys could do worse than check out the new Invincible animated comic adaptation on Prime. Plenty of super-carnage to go around and a potentially much more substantial plot than this show given the source material. Highly recommended.

Watched S1 and 2 of The Boys. Really liking it so far, especially the splatter humor, lol.
Oh and Karl Urban is too cool for school.

They should have put a content warning on that scene of
Bourke shagging the screechy chick from Jessica Jones in the toilet.

I was eating my lunch at the time 🤢

Last edited:
They should have put a content warning on that scene of
Bourke shagging the screechy chick from Jessica Jones in the toilet.

I was eating my lunch at the time 🤢
Think I tasted my lunch, from last year, during the party bedroom scene. I was like, why, man? :lol:

The actresses they cast to play young Annie and Vicky Nadia are very convincing but the young woman playing Grace in the Nicaragua flashback is absolutely uncanny. Not sure about young Stan as Giancarlo Esposito is a difficul racial mix to nail but the kid at least has his delivery down pat.

Last edited:
Yeah, still haven’t read the comics, but I’m sure it’s only going to ramp up. Seems like he’ll go full OMNI-MAN, from Invincible.

There’s also talk of Jared Padalecki making a cameo for Season 4.

With tonight’s episode, the gloves truly came off.

So, apparently the 'The Boys' subreddit is in utter melt down because, checks notes, re-checks notes, tripple checks notes, some people failed to realise that....

Homelander is the bad guy and Stormfront was a literal Nazi

...and said melt-downs are deliciously wonderful.

Last edited:
So, apparently the 'The Boys' subreddit is in utter melt down because, checks notes, re-checks notes, tripple checks notes, some people failed to realise that....

Homelander is the bad guy and Stormfront was a literal Nazi

...and said melt-downs are deliciously wonderful.

#HomeFront fans:

Are we the baddies.gif

Latest Posts

Back