• 275 comments

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
Wow, the GMI guys have been on-top of the Future segments. Yes, I realize Buick is boring, but this is worth it... I PROMISE!

GMI by ChevroletRevived
The Exciting Future of Buick

main.php

Buick here in America is a brand of declining sales, lackluster product (excluding Enclave) and an aging customer base. Buick China: A thriving, growing brand with a wide audience and successful, competent product. Many have legitimately complained about the lack of such support and backing in the form excellent product being offered here in the USA.

This is all about to change. Enclave is the start of great things for the Buick brand. GM hasn’t given up; Buick is a very important part of the new GM going forward.

slide-2.jpg
(This key fob excellently demonstrates what GM intends to take Buick; this type of elegance and luxury will become the norm at Buick as it moves upmarket.)

A Bigger, Better Buick

The comprehensive strategy for a better Buick starts with a nod to the past: Buick will being a switch back to storied classic names. Regal, Riviera, Park Avenue are all coming back as part of a plan to connect with a larger base of consumers that recognize and look fondly on these timeless names. Also, part of the reason is that buyers in China are fond of such names and it made sense as Buick going forward will be aligned with the Chinese cars. The switch to names of the past will begin with the LaCrosse’s EPII based replacement, which will be renamed Regal. Internal GM design renderings and documents on the LaCrosse replacement are now being renamed and called such.

The “Larger Plan” mentioned is a strategy to return Buick back to a up-market volume brand, with a relatively large model lineup. GM intends Buick’s forthcoming model lineup to take Buick sales back up into the 350k range. In this new plan, Cadillac and Buick are aligned more closely as Buick moves upmarket, with Cadillac being the striking, sporty brand, and Buick taking it’s place as a more conservative, “True Blue” luxury brand with a range of elegant luxury vehicles. The positioning statement “Wise with Wealth” fits right in with the intended Buick audience. More conservative then a Cadillac buyer, Buick wants to target the wealthy 35-45 segment, and that will be the focus going forward.

Here’s the Buick lineup going forward, including all the inside information regarding each model. Enjoy!

Current Lucurne

Not a whole lot of action here, except that engineers are working on mating the 3.6L HF Engine/6-speed transmission to the Lucurne’s L-Body platform. While this is not for sure, there’s the possibility of an interior re-do designed in China slated to arrive in the US sometime in the 2008/2009 model year, which GM would expect to bolster sales of the Lucurne model. If some of the aforementioned plans work out, it will lay the groundwork for the return of the next model in our list, the Park Avenue. The Lucurne replacement arrives as a 2010 Model and is detailed more below.

Park Avenue

20060227-buick-lacrosse-2007.jpg

20060227-buick-lacrosse-2007-2.jpg

Reaction to the Chinese Park Avenue has made GM reconsider bringing the Park Avenue over to the US. Original plan was to do a full reskin on the car a la Enclave, GM is now planning to bring the Chinese Park Avenue over to America as Spring of next year as a 2009 model. Built in Australia, there (of course) will be a base model starting at around $40k, and excluding the luxury features of the top end model. The ultra-luxury Chinese model will be offered, and all the features will remain intact from the Chinese Park Avenue. Base engine for the Park Avenue is rumored to be the 3.6L DI engine found in the CTS, outputting around 300hp. A Super model is possible down the line featuring the new 6.2L LS3 found in the '08 Corvette. Sales for the Park Avenue are expected to be around 20K units per year. Bringing over the Chinese Park Avenue would be a stopgap move until a Zeta based Buick specific replacement arrives sometime in 2010, starting in the $30ks and replacing both the Lucurne and the Park Avenue sourced from Holden in Australia.

LaCrosse

buick-chinese-park-ave.jpg

buick5iq.jpg

We’ll start with the most important events that may happen in the very near future. The LaCrosse shown driving around in Detroit was intentional, to gauge response. They were testing the vehicle as part of a supposed crash program to bring the Chinese LaCrosse to the US this year. Note the absence of a hood ornament in the spy pictures. GM is deciding just how much more sales this car could generate for Buick. If the program gets the go ahead, tooling could be changed over in the summer. The biggest hurdle with this program is the fact that GM has already shown the LaCrosse Super models, and bringing over a standard LaCrosse while the rest of the lineup looks completely different is something GM doesn’t want to do. A lot of this depends on whether a Super model can be made in time or very soon after a debut of the Chinese LaCrosse here in America. If given the go ahead, the 3.5L OHV engine could be moved as the base engine in the Lacrosse. It would output around 220 HP, with the top engine outputting around 260HP. Sales for a Chinese LaCrosse model are estimated to be around 100k per year. The decision to bring the Chinese LaCrosse over depends in large part whether or not the EPII Regal will be fast tracked for a 2008 debut. In that case, this scenario would be unlikely.

LaCrosse Replacement - EPII Regal

LaCrosse’s replacement will be renamed Regal and will be fully aligned with it’s Chinese counterpart, which also is ditching the name LaCrosse for Regal. Sources describe the car as bearing a similar design as looking very similar to the Riviera concept, but having 4-doors a more notched back end and a longer nose with a more “distinguished” hood”. If Lutz and the Buick team have their way, the Regal will be arriving in September/August of 2008 as a 2009 model. The development on the EPII platform is complete, and work is almost finished on the LaCrosse replacement. Although Lutz wants the brand revamped as quickly as possible, there’s been fighting within GM over the launch date of these cars,. If Saab/Opel have their way, it’ll be delayed until 2009, as a 2010 model.

Riviera

4c02384e02000tdaqh5.jpg

11-buick-riviera-concept-custom;size:363,243.jpg

3-buick-riviera-concept-custom;size:369,247.jpg

“And it does offer a hint at Buick’s future international design language — maybe not the gull-wing doors, but one never knows, does one?” - Bob Lutz, GM Fastlane Blog

Rumor has it that GM is indeed working on bringing a gull winged coupe Riviera to market. Although cost is a factor, designers have figured out a way to implement a side curtain airbag in the door, so that has been taken care of. The biggest issue with the gull wing doors is clearance in a tight parking spot, and engineers are working on incorporating a double hinge that will fix the problem. Riviera most likely will be based on the SWB EPII platform, and the dimensions of the concept vehicle (113 inches) fall in line with thisExpect the Riviera to arrive in the Fall of 2009 as a 2010 model, with optional AWD.

Rendezvous

With the Enclave replacing Rendezvous and moving up in size and price, Buick is feeling the need for smaller, less expensive crossover in the Buick lineup. Brand equity has built up in the Rendezvous name and it has been a successful model for Buick, so expect the name to be used on the Theta II crossover. The Theta II Rendezvous is anticipated to to be a 2009 model, however it may be pushed back to 2010.

Grand National

Buick’s halo vehicle, based on Zeta and powered by a turbocharged V6 is slated to arrive in 2010, and will be the ultimate in terms of luxury and performance at the Buick brand. Starting at $40k.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Introductions for Buick

2008 Enclave
2009 Regal
2009 Rendezvous (Theta II Crossover)
2010 Park Avenue
2010 Riviera
2010 Skylark - Little Information Known, Delta II Based - $25k Estimated Starting
2011 Grand National

The increase in models for the Buick brand broadens the scope and importance of the brand once again. GM believes in Buick and is prepared to invest and bring the products to the market needed to make it a great brand once again. The basic message I gather here is this: Buick here in NA will be fully aligned with Buick in China. And I think that’s something we’re all very glad to hear.

Very good indeed. With the amount of investment going into Pontiac and Saturn, not to mention Cadillac these past few years, Buick is long-overdue for a change like this. I see only positives from these changes, and I am interested in other's thoughts as well. Granted, on GMI you aren't likely to hear too many negatives to stories like these...

All I can say is: Damn, the Chinese love waterfall grilles. :lol:

Maybe that's it. Maybe that one design element will mean that GM will make billions in China... but who knows? :lol:

But a modern Grand National? I can't wait to see that... :D

I do tend to like luxury with conservative looks. Absolutely beautiful cars in the pics there. They have that Lexus-look to them, and I do love that.

guh....Grand National?.......

* Breaks into a grin wider than Petty's and Tsuchiya's combined."

I'm just happy to see that Buick actually has a direction to go in. As one of (or is it?) the top-performing brands in China, beyond that being considered a luxury make, why not bring these awesome products to the United States, where Buick should be of the utmost importance?

I really, really want the Park Avenue. Yes, I know its another spin-off of Zeta, but its just so awesome. A full-size, cheap-ish, RWD sedan that can actually pop-shots at Lexus with confidence is something worth having in North America, and generally speaking, would not only be the top American car in its class, but may even be one of the best world cars in its segment.

...The whole LaCrosse issue is a funny one though. With the current W-Body car on the way out, I'm uncertain as to how everything will get sorted, particularly when the "Epy2" Regal is sitting in some Buick studio in Detroit. I really like the Chinese version, and even if they sold it here for just a few months I'm sure they could push a few out, but I really don't see a huge reason why they need to stop-building the current car altogether. Plus, I'm sure the folks up in Ontario wouldn't be too happy...

Either way, its getting better. GM's Lexus-fighter clearly then, wants to be a true Lexus-fighter. Best of luck to them...

Wow, other than the POS people carrier and SUV Buick is coming back. The Riviera is brilliant, and the thought of a RWD V6 turbo or V8 Regal coming back is mouth watering. I just hope they don't ruin the GNX's legacy. I hold the GNX to the highest of standards over any other American car. Its the only American car that was here for a few years, kicked everyone's asses, and left with dignity.

The new Park Avenue looks pretty good actually, I quite like the interior in that LaCrosse over the new Cadillacs actually.

I hear you on the Buick interior. It is surprisingly good, and so too can be said of the Cadillac SLS (our STS with a stretch limo job... Think 760iL), both of which have a better interior than their American counterparts. Odd really, as you'd think it would be the other way around...

Still, the return of the Grand National is something that has been rumored for a long, long, long time. It may be just a guess, but given its relationship to the GTO, Camaro, and that Chevy coupe/sedan (whatever it was), chances are it will be a low-production RWD coupe using Buick cues over the Monaro chassis.

...Either way, I'm hoping for a forced-induction V6. I've got my fingers crossed that GM does a turbocharged 3.6L DI V6, good for 380-400 BHP. Healthy horsepower will go a long way, and when you've got to consider the Lincoln MKR as well (reportedly green-lighted), one hopes Buick and pull it off...

Please let it die... There's a reason GM is in so much debt. :rolleyes:

That "Riviera" looks nice but there's no way in hell they will keep it looking like that in a production version. It's too nice, it's not GM ****y enough. Oh and even then Riviera? geez... you do want people to buy these things right? xD

Wow, aren't we Mister Positive today?

...Actually, GM made a profit the past two quarters (if I recall correctly) despite sales being down across the board at every single automaker. To be frank, GM is on their A-Game these days, and will be fighting tooth-and-nail to get every new sale possible, particularly against Toyota and Honda here in the near-future.

Buick by no means causes GM to lose any money whatsoever. They have cut their products down to a level by which they build what they can sell, and indeed future models are predicted to be built in smaller numbers due to the increased sales volume say by comparison to the all-powerful Chevrolet or Pontiac. The LaCrosse will remain their best-selling vehicle, but with so much money being invested in China, the return will be those excelent products heading to North America in numbers that will meet demand, and indeed be flexible should demand increase or decrease.

...These new products, starting with the Lucerne and Enclave, show the new direction for Buick as a value-packed semi-luxury brand with the hopes of knocking gloves with Lexus and Acura to the best of their ability. Clearly, Buick hopes to regain a footing with the younger folks, and generally speaking, models like the Regal, Riviera, and later the Grand National are indeed the keys to doing so.

This being said, these models have to be produced first. The Regal will be an "Epy-II," and that is indeed a strong-footing for the new mid-sized model. Sharing the bones with the new Vectra and 9-3, it should be enough to compete with the ES350, but obviously it is hard to tell for certain, since we are at least a year away from seeing any on the streets.

...The Riviera was more of a design exercise than anything, as the look of the lights, grille, wheels, and tail-lights will certainly influence the brand on the whole. Prospects for the production of the Riviera are indeed high, but chances are we are more likely to see it done as the aforementioned Grand National than anything else.

What it all boils down to is that GM wants to do to Buick what they did to Cadillac: Re-invigorate a slowly-dying brand with fresh new products, stellar reliability (already there) and quality (getting there), and altogether recall the better years of Buick, which never should have been forgotten...

Gosh ten years ago we had a beautiful black Buick LeSabre (basically a shorter Park Lane)..... was a really cool car despite looking like a barge!..... I'm glad to see Buick are going back to these old models and keeping some of the styling cues.....

Robin

The reason I've always been pissed at Buick in China? They had this as a minivan when we had this piece of trash. And they wonder why Buick is a failing brand in the U.S.

These popped-up on GMI yesterday, more photos of what may be the best American car that isn't sold in the US, the Chinese-market Buick LaCrosse.

Keep in mind the following when viewing the photos:

- The car is still based on the W-Body which is shared between the LaCrosse, Grand Prix, and Impala/Monte Carlo.
- The car is very affordable. Base models start at about $28K USD and go north to about $42K USD.
- GM is thinking about bringing this to the US, but they still aren't sure if they want to do it...

Here is the link to all of the photos, I'll post a few of the "good" ones.

U241P33T148D149549F2100DT20061027071157.JPG

U241P33T148D149550F2100DT20061027071159.JPG

U241P33T148D149526F2100DT20061027070756.JPG

U549P33T148D127503F2100DT20060515182716.JPG

U241P33T148D149546F2100DT20061027070847.JPG

U241P33T148D149539F2100DT20061027070826.JPG

U241P33T148D149514F2100DT20061027070733.jpg

U549P33T148D127516F2100DT20060515182822.JPG

Absolutely incredible. Its a shame that they don't sell it here.

That interior is stunning. Looks superb. I love the guage cluster, the temp and fuel guages specifically.

The exterior..... I'm not so keen on. Needs slightly bigger wheels (chrome would fit well on this car), and slightly smaller headlights and foglights. Their new hood ornament looks neat, though.

Cancel all luxury cadillac cars (aka, DTS) and bring these to the US with a HEAVY marketing operation.

They're thinking hard about brining the car to the US (thanks to GMI for that), and after one popped-up in Detroit a few weeks back, people were almost certain that we'd see the car for late 2008 or 2009. Problem is, the W-Body is supposed to die by 2009 or 2010 to give way to the larger Epsilon II platform or the Zeta platform (most of the current W-Body cars are going Zeta).

GM's un-official word is that alike how Saturn is being aligned with Opel/Vauxhall, Buick will likely be aligned with their Chinese brand as well. So that likely means we'll see a significant step-up for Cadillac in luxury and quality, see Buick set up shop just below where Cadillac is now, and then the rest of the brands adjust.

Good god that interior is beautiful. Why the hell can't Americans make an interior like that. That is lightyears beyond what any Cadillac has currently.

They're thinking hard about brining the car to the US (thanks to GMI for that), and after one popped-up in Detroit a few weeks back, people were almost certain that we'd see the car for late 2008 or 2009. Problem is, the W-Body is supposed to die by 2009 or 2010 to give way to the larger Epsilon II platform or the Zeta platform (most of the current W-Body cars are going Zeta).

GM's un-official word is that alike how Saturn is being aligned with Opel/Vauxhall, Buick will likely be aligned with their Chinese brand as well. So that likely means we'll see a significant step-up for Cadillac in luxury and quality, see Buick set up shop just below where Cadillac is now, and then the rest of the brands adjust.

Actually, I think they should just make Buick the ultra-luxury segment of GM and keep Cadillac as their sport-luxury segment.

Actually, I think they should just make Buick the ultra-luxury segment of GM and keep Cadillac as their sport-luxury segment.

That depends on what your concept of a "Luxury" car is. Nowadays, a "Luxury" car pretty much has to be somewhat sporty, with the exception of the largest models.

Current GM cannon says that Buick is indeed the Lexus rival, while Cadillac is meant to go against the BMW/Mercedes-Benz lineup. Saturn is now the VW fighter after being aligned with Opel, Pontiac is meant to compete against the Acura/Audi types with a much lower price, and Chevrolet has been regulated to be the end-all defacto value brand, going against Toyota.

Waitasec.

I've always known that Chevy=Toyota,Honda,Ford etc.

But Pontiac vs. Acura? :lol: They're on crack. Atleast until the G8 comes out.

Same goes for Buick. Buick is a Mercury competitor if there ever was one.

Back