The buildup of my Drag Racing Corvette

• Thread starter vette_7t9
  • 3 comments
Hi. This is an outline of the buildup of my drag racing corvette. i hope it is like a guide to beginners to tune drag cars. I know it may seem long, but enjoy anyways. It took me about an hour to get the settings right. Its funny how why i chose the 82 corvette....i had this dream i was driving one and i gunned the throttle and it was damn fast. So i had to do it, and i did it in GT! ENJOY!!!

Base Car is the 1982 Corvette Stingray with 220hp.

Stock - 14.7s 1/4 mile

Stage 1 - 14.2s 1/4 mile
Mods: triple plate clutch, 2 way limited slip, carbon driveshaft, lightweight flywheel

Stage 2 - 13.7s 1/4 mile
Mods: Full weight reductions + full suspension tuning.
w/slicks(super soft) on rear tires - 13.3s
w/slicks on all 4 - 13.3s
Remember, this is still within the 220hp stock....devastatingly quick!!!

Stage 3 - 13.2s 1/4 mile
Mods: computer chip, port + polish, balancing internals
240hp....still very little hp.

Stage 4 - 12.1s 1/4 mile
Mods: FULLY n/a tuned
360hp. This is with stock exhaust and stock 4 speed trans, with launching on 1st gear!!! no 2nd gear launch tricks here.

Stage 5 - 12.0s 1/4 mile
Mods: Racing exhaust.
395hp

Stage 6 - 11.8s 1/4 mile
Mods: Full racing trans
Well, i set the final to 4.500 and the gear range to 13. Seems like the racing trans lets the engine stay within the optimum rev range because the gears are tighter, allowing for faster acceleration. The downshift from 7800 rpm is to 6000, right near the 6600 rpm sweet spot. It pulls like a demon!!

Final Stage 7 - 11.784s 1/4 mile
Mods: Racing Mod
I took off all downforce. Sweeet. 0-60 in 3.613s. Well, i did the 2nd gear launch thing to do these times. I kept revs at 6000 and launched a bit past 7000!! Screaming off the line. It was crazy.

Well here you have it. My buildup of the drag racing vette.

Why i chose stages???

Because when you tune a car for precision such as drag racing, you have to start off with stock, then work your way up. If you fully mod everything then try to tune its very hard. I did that with a plymouth muscle car with 580hp and only got 11.3 1/4 miles. My 395hp vette can do 11.7s...enuff proof. If you start tuning bit by bit, you can learn how the car behaves and reacts to certain launch RPMs and how to setup the suspension accordingly, not crazy random setups. Try it. Have fun!!!!

Final Specs:
5735 cc OHV 2 valve V8
2854 lb
395hp @ 6600 rpm
370.3 lb ft @ 4100 rpm

Next project: 1999 mustang GT, i plan on hitting 11.8s.

I'm a tuning junkie, too. Sometimes I'll spend a whole hour just tuning a car one piece at a time...taking it to the racetrack, and seeing what little differences have been made. Amazingly, I'm rarely in an altered state of mind when I do this, too.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I'm a tuning junkie, too. Sometimes i'll spend a whole hour just tuning a car one piece at a time...taking it to the racetrack, and seeing what little differences have been made. Amazingly, i'm rarely in an altered state of mind when i do this, too.

Probably a good job otherwise you might not notice the differences.

Back