The car numbers in Sport races

So I’ve seen and read lots of threads and stuff online about the car numbers in the sport races telling you who has the highest driver rating in that lobby. Great.

How do I see my car number at the start?
I usually have to wait till the end result to see my car number.

In the FIA races you can see your number in the grid lineup. Same with daily races, but only if you’re near enough the front and at the right angle.

Thanks

At the very start of the loading page it’s on your drivers helmet. I also change my view real quickly before the race starts, but that depends on the cars number placement.

Thanks Kingdan. I couldn’t see it on the helmet. You mean behind the list of drivers?

so assuming the number is on the side of my car, how can I see that from changing view in game? I tried chase view but can only figure out how to look behind me, not left and right.

Thanks

A lot of the cars have the number on the hood so when you go into hood view you can see it.
I usually catch it right as the screen loads before the driver list populates.

Bear in mind that door number is not an accurate gauge of drivers' DR score for C & D drivers. The DR scores are sorted alphabetically rather than by number. This means a D driver with a score of 900 will have a lower door number than a C driver with a score of 8000, who will in turn have a lower door number than an A+ driver with a score of 70,000. If all the drivers in a race have a score of 10,000 or higher (DR-B or better), the door numbers will accurately reflect the relative standing of the drivers.

I don’t know how it works but I assume if I’m a higher number (10-16) my rating is going up faster when I finish up front then if I’m top 5 (1-5) and finish up front.

I don’t know how it works but I assume if I’m a higher number (10-16) my rating is going up faster when I finish up front then if I’m top 5 (1-5) and finish up front.
In general, yes.

If you're the only A driver in a room full of D drivers, not so much. In this case, despite being the notionally fastest driver in the room it's possible you'll also have the highest door number due to the alphabetical sorting of DR scores.

In general, yes.

If you're the only A driver in a room full of D drivers, not so much. In this case, despite being the notionally fastest driver in the room it's possible you'll also have the highest door number due to the alphabetical sorting of DR scores.
I had close to this exact situation occur in a Race C on Friday, three of us A drivers in a lobby with all D/S drivers. I believe my # was 18, but I didn't save the replay to verify it...

In any case I finished 3rd and my DR went up by all of 50 points. :lol:

Bear in mind that door number is not an accurate gauge of drivers' DR score for C & D drivers. The DR scores are sorted alphabetically rather than by number. This means a D driver with a score of 900 will have a lower door number than a C driver with a score of 8000, who will in turn have a lower door number than an A+ driver with a score of 70,000. If all the drivers in a race have a score of 10,000 or higher (DR-B or better), the door numbers will accurately reflect the relative standing of the drivers.

Given the above and assuming a mixed lobby (A - D drivers)... Is your correct/unnasigned door number for DR purposes your assigned door number increased by the number of higher classed drivers, less the number of drivers with a lower DR class?

For example: In a mixed lobby, if one is in the A group then -1 for every B, C, or D. If in the B group -1 for every driver in the C or D group and +1 for each A. If C then -1 for every D and +1 for every A or B. Finally, if D then +1 for every A, B and C.

Given the above and assuming a mixed lobby (A - D drivers)... Is your correct/unnasigned door number for DR purposes your assigned door number increased by the number of higher classed drivers, less the number of drivers with a lower DR class?

For example: In a mixed lobby, if one is in the A group then -1 for every B, C, or D. If in the B group -1 for every driver in the C or D group and +1 for each A. If C then -1 for every D and +1 for every A or B. Finally, if D then +1 for every A, B and C.
No. Door numbers correspond to reverse alphbetical order of DR score not category. Driver categories are assigned based actual DR score, you can get yours at https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search enter your playstion ID and click search:

1: DR-E
2 - 3,999: DR-D
4000 - 9,999: DR-C
10,000 - 29,999: DR-B
30,000 - 49,999: DR-A
50,000+: DR-A+​

As an example, take these scores
A+ driver - 73,148
A driver - 42,351
B driver - 22,793
C driver - 8,157
C driver - 6,851
D driver - 4,583
D driver - 983
D driver - 650
D driver - 137
D driver - 9

In door number order they would be:
Door 1: 983 - D driver
Door 2: 9 - D driver
Door 3: 8,157 - C driver
Door 4: 73,148 A+ driver
Door 5: 6,851 - C driver
Door 6: 650 - D driver
Door 7: 4,583 - D driver
Door 8: 42,351 - A driver
Door 9: 22,793 - B driver
Door 10: 137 - D driver

Drivers at category B or better will sort in the correct order in relation to each other. A race that's all C drivers will sort in the correct order. A race that has C drivers mixed with A or B drivers will have drivers out of order and a race that has D drivers mixed with any category (including a race in which there are only D drivers) will likely be out of order.

Last edited:
Thanks... guess what I'm looking for is a dirty guesstimate formula to get to an approximate Door number when there are C or D drivers in the lobby. Figured a - for any D or C and a + for any DR letter grade better than mine would get me somewhat close(er).

Thanks... guess what I'm looking for is a dirty guesstimate formula to get to an approximate Door number when there are C or D drivers in the lobby. Figured a - for any D or C and a + for any DR letter grade better than mine would get me somewhat close(er).
As you can see from the example I've posted, there's no way of knowing with D drivers unless you know the actual scores in relation to yours. With C drivers, they will have a lower door number than all B drivers and any A drivers with a score less than 40,000. For drivers with scores above 40,000, you have to revert to not knowing.

Got it. Was thrown by use of "alphabetically"... in a mixed lobby with B and below, the game puts a decimal after the first digit in everyone's DR and sorts numerically with the lowest number getting the highest Door Number (eg. those whose DR starts with a 9 get the lowest Door Numbers, 1's get the highest Door Numbers).

No. Door numbers correspond to reverse alphbetical order of DR score not category. Driver categories are assigned based actual DR score, you can get yours at https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search enter your playstion ID and click search:

1: DR-E
2 - 3,999: DR-D
4000 - 9,999: DR-C
10,000 - 29,999: DR-B
30,000 - 49,999: DR-A
50,000+: DR-A+​

As an example, take these scores
A+ driver - 73,148
A driver - 42,351
B driver - 22,793
C driver - 8,157
C driver - 6,851
D driver - 4,583
D driver - 983
D driver - 650
D driver - 137
D driver - 9

In door number order they would be:
Door 1: 983 - D driver
Door 2: 9 - D driver
Door 3: 8,157 - C driver
Door 4: 73,148 A+ driver
Door 5: 6,851 - C driver
Door 6: 650 - D driver
Door 7: 4,583 - D driver
Door 8: 42,351 - A driver
Door 9: 22,793 - B driver
Door 10: 137 - D driver

Drivers at category B or better will sort in the correct order in relation to each other. A race that's all C drivers will sort in the correct order. A race that has C drivers mixed with A or B drivers will have drivers out of order and a race that has D drivers mixed with any category (including a race in which there are only D drivers) will likely be out of order.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get it. I am usually in all B rooms, or mixed A and B. Bottom line question: Is door number by itself irrelevant to the change in your DR score after a particular race? Or is it an indicator of the place you are expected to finish, whereby you tend to gain more DR points if you do better (for example, you get more DR points if, say, you have door number 10 and finish 5th). Or is my DR score rise/fall 100 percent dependent on the other racers' DR scores (who you beat, and who you finish behind)? BTW, my door number tends to be all over the place, inexplicably high or low -- in what I thought were similar lobbies.

I'm sorry, but I still don't get it. I am usually in all B rooms, or mixed A and B. Bottom line question: Is door number by itself irrelevant to the change in your DR score after a particular race? Or is it an indicator of the place you are expected to finish, whereby you tend to gain more DR points if you do better (for example, you get more DR points if, say, you have door number 10 and finish 5th). Or is my DR score rise/fall 100 percent dependent on the other racers' DR scores (who you beat, and who you finish behind)? BTW, my door number tends to be all over the place, inexplicably high or low -- in what I thought were similar lobbies.
I think door number was intended as a guide for drivers to set themselves a goal. The only relationship it has with the scoring system is that it's based on your DR score at the start of the race. Due to the odd choice of sorting, that is not even accurate for races that include lower DR drivers.

DR gain or loss is entirely dependant on the DR scores of those who finish in front and behind you. For example, two races, exactly the same field size of 16 drivers. In both races you have door 10 and finish fifth.

In the first race, all drivers are about the same DR score as you. You'll gain about 80 DR for each driver you beat and lose about 80 DR for each driver ahead of you. Net gain is around (11-4) x 80 = 560.

Second race, four A+ drivers are in the field. For these guys, if they finish behind you the gain is up to 160 DR per driver (depending on exact score difference). Likewise if they finish ahead of you the loss can be as low as 1 DR point. Regardless of where they finish, due to the increased gains and/or reduced losses your potential gain increases to nearly 880 DR.

Edit: Note that your door number in the first example where the entire field is very near your level could be anything between 1 and 16 and it would make almost no difference to the outcome, plus or minus maybe only 30 DR depending on exact scores. In the second example your door number could be anwhere from 5 to 16 with the only a little more variation in potential DR gains.

A further effect of having the high or low DR drivers in the field is the cutoff place for DR gain. In an even field, finishing mid pack will result in close to zero gain or loss. If you finish lower you lose DR, if you finish higher you gain DR.
If there are a few drivers in the field with siginficantly higher DR than yours, that point moves further down the field so you might gain a small amount of DR for finishing 10th or 11th in a field of 16.
Conversely, if there are a few drivers in the field with significantly lower DR than yours the break even point for you moves up a few places, you may have to place 6th or higher before DR gains start.
At the extremes, a DR-D driver in a field full of A+ drivers will gain DR for not coming last (or if one of the other drivers disonnects). An A+ driver in a field full of DR-D will lose DR for second place.

Last edited:
Back