THE CHALLENGE HUB, CHALLENGE COMPLETE

• Thread starter bjl23
  • 10,190 comments
My Review of F1 Championship Edition:

F1 Championship Edition is most certainly the most polarizing F1 game ever made, with critics loving or hating the game. But looking back at this game retrospectively (almost 15 years) gives me a true understanding of the technological marvel (sometimes mishap) that is quite possibly the greatest F1 game ever made.
I will split this review into 5 categories; physics, immersion, realism, game modes, and the 'Wow' factor (was it good for it's time period, and is it still good today?)

Physics:

The physics in this game are often the main complaint from nearly all critics. Arguments include an understeer bias and autospin kerbs. These are valid concerns for those who don't know how to tune a car. After about 5 minutes of tuning during a Grand Prix practice, I generally have complete control over the car and it's movement. One autospin kerb that cannot be fixed is Magny Cours final chicane (pain). The built in setup assistant "Car Setup Evolution" is a great feature for beginners learning about setups. I'll talk about more it in the realism section. One thing that is not in your control is the lacking rain physics. The cars feel more understeer-y, even when you should be spinning because of full throttling it out of Parabolica in the wet. But the crash and suspension physics are still some of the best in any F1 game, easily rivaling the new Codies F1 games, rFactor 1 & 2, and Grand Prix 4. The car doesn't lose half its front wing every time there's a collision, and you can lose your rear wing in a spinning impact. The way the suspension and tyre shears off of the cars is very realistic (before cables holding the tyres to the suspension were required). My final praise for the physics is the inclusion of the tyre heat indicator. This really does impact lap times, and while not as in depth as Grand Prix 4 or rFactor 2, is still way ahead of its time.

Immersion:
Once you're in the car, it certainly sounds and looks like you're driving it. The sounds from all 9 V8s and 1 Cozzie V10 are unique, the sense of speed is very good, and the interiors are well made. You don't get force feedback, which is a huge letdown, but after a while you get used to it. The other big letdown was the advanced AI designed for this game, which was extremely up and down in terms of difficulty, including on the hard difficulty. (True story, I was in 14th in Spain with my Toro Rosso, and won next week at Nurburgring)

Realism:
This game is mostly realistic, as it features all 18 F1 2006 tracks (plus Jerez if you time trial gold all tracks), and most 2006 drivers. The big issues is that the developers did not update the game with the new drivers, de la Rosa and whoever Yuji Ide's replacement was. The game does, which still hadn't been done by Codies until 2016, was the chance for a team to fire you for poor performance. It also allowed a team to place you in a test driver role, which no other F1 game has done. But even better is that the developers (Studio Liverpool) had correctly remembered the 16k rpm limit for the Cosworth V10 used by Toro Rosso, as well as all of the other engines. Studio Liverpool also introduced enhanced rain graphics, making it harder to see in the rain because of kicked up water. This effect has not aged well though. The most real part of the game is the broadcast setup, using iTV's graphics for the F1 2006 season, as well as it's commentary crew; James Allen and Martin Brundle. The game also introduced Car Setup Evolution, which is honestly more realistic than making the setup changes yourself. It sends you on flying laps, returns you and asks for feedback on those laps. This feedback is used to target specific areas of the car to change, either for pace or for your driving style. It does this multiple times until all areas of the car have been covered.

Game Modes:
F1 Championship Edition has only a few game modes, but does not lack in special features. The game is only single player and online multiplayer (I don't think online works anymore, haven't tested it yet tho), with the single player modes being Time Trial, Quick Race, Grand Prix Weekend, World Championship, and Career. The first three are self explanatory, World Championship lets you take control of your favorite driver and battle for a world championship, while Career gets your own player created character into the world of Formula 1. Included in this small amount of content is a bunch of classic cars, trophy cases(!), and Jerez to unlock. This game has trophy cases, with 3D models of the unique trophies, and in F1 2020, you get a gold outlined picture of the "unique" trophies.

But does it wow me?
Hell yeah.
It amazes me that Studio Liverpool were able to make such an incredible game with a temperamental cpu (we love you PS3, but it's true), all while only supporting 720p! Visibly just as good looking as rFactor 1, and technically not as advanced, but very advanced for a console game in 2006. There were a few poor design choices (god I hate Magny Cours), but the game as a whole is fantastic. Is it the best F1 game ever? Maybe, maybe not. Best console F1 game? Absolutely.

Also wanted to make fun of the Detroit Free Press reviewer who completely forgot to turn off Auto-Braking + Dynamic Racing Line and gave the game 2 stars of 4.

My Review of F1 Championship Edition:

F1 Championship Edition is most certainly the most polarizing F1 game ever made, with critics loving or hating the game. But looking back at this game retrospectively (almost 15 years) gives me a true understanding of the technological marvel (sometimes mishap) that is quite possibly the greatest F1 game ever made.
I will split this review into 5 categories; physics, immersion, realism, game modes, and the 'Wow' factor (was it good for it's time period, and is it still good today?)

Physics:

The physics in this game are often the main complaint from nearly all critics. Arguments include an understeer bias and autospin kerbs. These are valid concerns for those who don't know how to tune a car. After about 5 minutes of tuning during a Grand Prix practice, I generally have complete control over the car and it's movement. One autospin kerb that cannot be fixed is Magny Cours final chicane (pain). The built in setup assistant "Car Setup Evolution" is a great feature for beginners learning about setups. I'll talk about more it in the realism section. One thing that is not in your control is the lacking rain physics. The cars feel more understeer-y, even when you should be spinning because of full throttling it out of Parabolica in the wet. But the crash and suspension physics are still some of the best in any F1 game, easily rivaling the new Codies F1 games, rFactor 1 & 2, and Grand Prix 4. The car doesn't lose half its front wing every time there's a collision, and you can lose your rear wing in a spinning impact. The way the suspension and tyre shears off of the cars is very realistic (before cables holding the tyres to the suspension were required). My final praise for the physics is the inclusion of the tyre heat indicator. This really does impact lap times, and while not as in depth as Grand Prix 4 or rFactor 2, is still way ahead of its time.

Immersion:
Once you're in the car, it certainly sounds and looks like you're driving it. The sounds from all 9 V8s and 1 Cozzie V10 are unique, the sense of speed is very good, and the interiors are well made. You don't get force feedback, which is a huge letdown, but after a while you get used to it. The other big letdown was the advanced AI designed for this game, which was extremely up and down in terms of difficulty, including on the hard difficulty. (True story, I was in 14th in Spain with my Toro Rosso, and won next week at Nurburgring)

Realism:
This game is mostly realistic, as it features all 18 F1 2006 tracks (plus Jerez if you time trial gold all tracks), and most 2006 drivers. The big issues is that the developers did not update the game with the new drivers, de la Rosa and whoever Yuji Ide's replacement was. The game does, which still hadn't been done by Codies until 2016, was the chance for a team to fire you for poor performance. It also allowed a team to place you in a test driver role, which no other F1 game has done. But even better is that the developers (Studio Liverpool) had correctly remembered the 16k rpm limit for the Cosworth V10 used by Toro Rosso, as well as all of the other engines. Studio Liverpool also introduced enhanced rain graphics, making it harder to see in the rain because of kicked up water. This effect has not aged well though. The most real part of the game is the broadcast setup, using iTV's graphics for the F1 2006 season, as well as it's commentary crew; James Allen and Martin Brundle. The game also introduced Car Setup Evolution, which is honestly more realistic than making the setup changes yourself. It sends you on flying laps, returns you and asks for feedback on those laps. This feedback is used to target specific areas of the car to change, either for pace or for your driving style. It does this multiple times until all areas of the car have been covered.

Game Modes:
F1 Championship Edition has only a few game modes, but does not lack in special features. The game is only single player and online multiplayer (I don't think online works anymore, haven't tested it yet tho), with the single player modes being Time Trial, Quick Race, Grand Prix Weekend, World Championship, and Career. The first three are self explanatory, World Championship lets you take control of your favorite driver and battle for a world championship, while Career gets your own player created character into the world of Formula 1. Included in this small amount of content is a bunch of classic cars, trophy cases(!), and Jerez to unlock. This game has trophy cases, with 3D models of the unique trophies, and in F1 2020, you get a gold outlined picture of the "unique" trophies.

But does it wow me?
Hell yeah.
It amazes me that Studio Liverpool were able to make such an incredible game with a temperamental cpu (we love you PS3, but it's true), all while only supporting 720p! Visibly just as good looking as rFactor 1, and technically not as advanced, but very advanced for a console game in 2006. There were a few poor design choices (god I hate Magny Cours), but the game as a whole is fantastic. Is it the best F1 game ever? Maybe, maybe not. Best console F1 game? Absolutely.

Also wanted to make fun of the Detroit Free Press reviewer who completely forgot to turn off Auto-Braking + Dynamic Racing Line and gave the game 2 stars of 4.
Nice review mate.

Couple hours before my torture begin , just pass to say hello everybody.
Hugh find his way to the top and 5th element confirm that as i suspect he will lead once again on a no tune TT.

Noel it was at the beginning of past week that i did the school cause i didn't want to miss it again since i knew that i had to go.

Wish me luck guys .
Have a good day all.

After a bit freaky hour , i came home ( not my home) try to swallow something and am waiting for tomorrow or next day to end.
I have some good news ..... Officially the gt7 will delay for 2022 !!!!!!
Well that's great news for our hub since we will be together for at least one year .:cheers:
I can't see any ps5 at stores till summer here and maybe later and definitely I'll buy as i hoped the gt7 with ps5 both and at sales :D
Perhaps i will buy another controller again :) .

After a bit freaky hour , i came home ( not my home) try to swallow something and am waiting for tomorrow or next day to end.
I have some good news ..... Officially the gt7 will delay for 2022 !!!!!!
Well that's great news for our hub since we will be together for at least one year .:cheers:
I can't see any ps5 at stores till summer here and maybe later and definitely I'll buy as i hoped the gt7 with ps5 both and at sales :D
Perhaps i will buy another controller again :) .

definitely good news.. because I might save some money until than.. hope I'll be able to get it on release day..
I think since I'll need bigger car my Brera will have to go soon too :(
maybe 1% chance to manage to save her and get another car

Looks like the gt6 challenge hub is here for another 12 months or so, so there may be a revamp coming?

I know it's not a point but I looked into jailbreaking ps3 and it's really not that hard, with guys moding gt5 and 6 they could soon probably be able to put 6 available to be played online again.. I know it's a long shot but just saying :P

I couldn't play GT for some time, but I have my potato laptop with me and had some insane fun on NFS 2, so if someone needs little nostalgia but also crazy lucky win in tournament, I uploaded a vid (finally something my "laptop" is not having problems with).. and if not you can just look Intro and car showcase before gameplay.. that old games really had "soul"..

I'll do some racing for hub tomorrow or day after.

I know it's not a point but I looked into jailbreaking ps3 and it's really not that hard, with guys moding gt5 and 6 they could soon probably be able to put 6 available to be played online again.. I know it's a long shot but just saying :P

I couldn't play GT for some time, but I have my potato laptop with me and had some insane fun on NFS 2, so if someone needs little nostalgia but also crazy lucky win in tournament, I uploaded a vid (finally something my "laptop" is not having problems with).. and if not you can just look Intro and car showcase before gameplay.. that old games really had "soul"..

I'll do some racing for hub tomorrow or day after.

I have seen what those guys are doing, same of it is really cool, but I all ever ask people to jailbreak there ps3.

PS3s are about £$€50 now. I'd happily jailbreak one to help get us all online together. (I've got 7 already!)

Like @nostradavor2 I have made some inroads, just not actually done it yet. If anyone wants to work together on this (off-forum) I'd be happy to.

As a counterpoint to online, I have grown to really appreciate this form of racing-by-mail. It allows everyone 2 weeks to race in their own time, on a very level playing field. Would be nowhere near as much fun if certain members couldn't make some races due to times and dates, or others were boosted or crippled by better or worse internet connections.

I can't think of a way of normalising Div1 other than some complex handicap algo based on previous results. But whatwould be the point? If the algo were made perfectly, we would all be getting identical times after a few rounds. Victory would be down to basically random variations of a few thou and rotate through everyone. I'm pretty un-PC so I expect winners to take all and would have no part in racing where "everyone wins" regardless of ability

Anyway, they'll have more competition in Div 1 - once I get the hang of LFB! The idea of beating @RMan72 is why I keep going to that icy garage again and again!

Last edited:
PS3s are about £$€50 now. I'd happily jailbreak one to help get us all online together. (I've got 7 already!)

Like @nostradavor2 I have made some inroads, just not actually done it yet. If anyone wants to work together on this (off-forum) I'd be happy to.

As a counterpoint to online, I have grown to really appreciate this form of racing-by-mail. It allows everyone 2 weeks to race in their own time, on a very level playing field. Would be nowhere near as much fun if certain members couldn't make some races due to times and dates, or others were boosted or crippled by better or worse internet connections.

I can't think of a way of normalising Div1 other than some complex handicap algo based on previous results. But whatwould be the point? If the algo were made perfectly, we would all be getting identical times after a few rounds. Victory would be down to basically random variations of a few thou and rotate through everyone. I'm pretty un-PC so I expect winners to take all and would have no part in racing where "everyone wins" regardless of ability

Anyway, they'll have more competition in Div 1 - once I get the hang of LFB! The idea of beating @RMan72 is why I keep going to that icy garage again and again!
Great read! Are you doing the School at the Green Hell??

@slybynight , what history teach us so far , the idea of beating Hugh on equal terms , usually remains an idea :lol:
I have beat him only 2 times in all my hub carrier ,one on a nascar run for some fractions and one time at a king of hub challenge on drift with a FF car !!!
Basically am sure he didn't try much and settle at his results with the thought it was enough.
Considering also that is a pad user ..... I don't wanna know what might be capable of behind a wheel :scared: .
Also use - mostly - AT gears as i did :boggled:
I hope someday to became true .:cheers:

@slybynight , what history teach us so far , the idea of beating Hugh on equal terms , usually remains an idea :lol:
I have beat him only 2 times in all my hub carrier ,one on a nascar run for some fractions and one time at a king of hub challenge on drift with a FF car !!!
Basically am sure he didn't try much and settle at his results with the thought it was enough.
Considering also that is a pad user ..... I don't wanna know what might be capable of behind a wheel :scared: .
Also use - mostly - AT gears as i did :boggled:
I hope someday to became true .:cheers:

definitely difficult, sometimes more difficult than doing hardest events on GT.

Last edited:
I bring... something. An ear was blocked, too annoying to go on with headphones.

No tune/79.
1:29.208
notune_track.jpg
notune_board.jpg
The Audi is from when I went back, solo, to WRS #1.

Erazer's Volvo
Finished 11th.
ev_results.jpg

Last edited:
Am back guys :D ,my denture grow more :lol: at least i avoid the danger to loose her while am sneezing .
Nothing is finished but am quite better now .
I have a fear that next week I'll have to leave for a week at work but isn't confirmed yet .....
Sorry guys but personally i don't think I'll bother for a online racing at gt6 ,its way too much for my house environment :lol:

I forgot to answer to Bryce regarding the divisions, this was my opinion too. It not possible to downgrade tyres or switch some assists off to div1. even PP handicap wouldn't be likely to fit on repetetive basis. I said long ago we should have just one division, someone is faster someone is slower, wr just have fun...

btw..

sorry.. :P
IMG_20210225_214631~3.jpg

I think I have saved a replay, cant remember if it was mine or Dallas's. If i get time to film I will upload... all a bit hectic here at the mo.
I look forward to it you have improved a lot since you started at the school but you need to keep it going so please send me the video and I will look at it with great interest and I will give you some good feedback that hopefully will help you.

Congrats mate :)
Which BSpec lvl are you know?
I tried it with Minolta 1st time but I forgot to turn off that safety thing that turns off PS if you don't touch it for 5 hours :banghead:
Than I did it with a PUG FAP :lol: with HRPM Turbo and than with worse set of drivers with RB to gain some experience. Thought Toyota GT One might be the next one.. I JBed my PS and moded GT5 because was bored but I still left that save to grind it :lol::banghead:

Latest Posts

Back