YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
UPDATE! Official tailer to be found below:

Cloverfield is an unfinished project being headed by JJ Abrams, the man behind LOST and Alias. There has been a lot of whispers about the movie, which is fitting for the trailer that showed up before Transformers. In case the YouTube video poops-out on us, a quick synopsis:

The trailer starts at a party which is being filmed with a camcorder. Its a party for a dude who is leaving for Japan, and suddenly the party is rocked by what was originally thought to be an earthquake. A quick flash to the news seems to confirm it, but then they hear a strange sound, and everyone goes to the roof. A large explosion is seen off in the distance before giant flaming objects begin falling out of the sky, and people take cover and head to the streets. The sound is heard again, and more things start flying around. Keep in mind this is all seen through a home video recording, and one of the last things you see is the head of the Statue of Liberty being thrown down that street in New York.

===

Assuming that some of us have seen it, any thoughts?

===

My first assumption was that it was a remake of Godzilla, but the internet says otherwise. Apparently the monster is called "the Parasite," but it makes no mention of what it actually is.

Otherwise, thats pretty much all I've heard other than it will all be filmed using camcorders, and will be told through several different people's perspectives around New York City.

===

Some other odd videos:

Wow, looks cool. That J.J Abrams guy sure has cool ideas for movies and TV shows.

I hope I get a chance to see the trailer on screens over here, I haven't heard anything about it yet.

And if the trailer had no clue as to what the title was how do people know? Is it mere speculation, do they have proof or has Mr Abrams mentioned these titles before.

Looks promising though.......:)

Well, things are getting a bit crazy.

The internets are blowing up about this whole "Cloverfield" thing, and furthermore, it just keeps getting more and more complicated.

----

1) Check out 1-18-08 for the "official" website of the film. Since the trailer's debut, a new photo has been added, the origional just being the two faces. When you hit reload, the photos will move around the page. I have no idea if this signifies anything.

2) Check out EthanHassWasRight. According to JJ Abrams, it isn't an official site that he knows of, but the internet seems to be focused on it quite a bit. There is a series of puzzles that open up various videos to apparently clue people in about the movie. Something important is supposed to happen on August 1st, God only knows. I don't have the time to do all the puzzles.

3) Cthulhu. Rumors keep pointing to it being the monster in the movie. Nobody really knows for sure.

4) EthanHassWasWrong shares more information, but it isn't confirmed to be official or not. Per this website, there are some secret messages, many of which speaking of a relationship between the Gods, the people of Earth, and some kind of Alien force.

The big question is; Is this God(s) versus Aliens?

5) What did JJ Abrams say again?

JJ Abrams Letter on AICN
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your support of our little movie. I can't wait to talk to you more about it -- of course, knowing you, by the time we talk you'll know more than I will.

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

Stay cool the rest of the summer -- and thanks per usual for AICN!

JJ

Thus far, these "other" sites have yet to be found. My guess is that the trailer contains a lot of the information as to where we need to be going...

===

More in a moment, I need to make some updates to the thread...

===

Some update videos:

I still say it's another Godzilla like movie. From what I've gathered from the official trailer, we have this information.

Rob is going to Japan
There's a giant roar
News anchor says "a thunderous rawring sound"
Things being tossed in a giant monster like way
When everyone is running in the streets you hear someone say "is it coming this way?" and someone replies "i saw it! it's alive and it's huge!"

I could be wrong though.

Figure out what you can from that. All that shows is that the monster is big, and it can tear stuff up.

Abrams said in his Comic Con interview that he wanted to have an American monster to call our own... Much in the same way as Godzilla is so important to Japan. We'll see what comes of it, but he isn't letting any details out.

Interesting photos showing up on 1-18-08:

Looks like the Military showed up quick, furthermore that the initial attack didn't last long. All of the photos are time-stamped, and the attack ones were at 12:36, people coming out of the dust (after the attack) at 12:48, and the military showing up not long after 1AM.

People are still clamoring to know more, but they aren't giving anything up. But, thats what creates buzz these days...

Its some kind of big dinosaur thingamajig. Definitely not Cthulhu. They've done a really good job keeping the wraps on this, only minor details had surfaced from time-to-time.

Word is that there are these little "Raptors" that spawn off the big guy and come down and kill/zombify the citizens of New York. That would be why there are folks in the chem suits wrestling that one girl in the medical facility, and when they're down in the subway, I assume thats what the "clicky" noise is behind the camera.

I'm very excited for this movie. It should be a lot of fun in theaters.

I found this GIF about the monster.

1195620248942.gif

Holy Smoke, that thing is BIGGER than Godzilla..:scared: which leaves only one option.. Nuke the NYC :dopey:

Clearly then there are Zombies there (check the girl with the Hazmat folks). Its like they crossed 28 Days Later with Godzilla and added a hint of Day of the Dead in there (the military deal thingy).

One word: "Epic"
I dunno how legit this picture is but I found it off some site about cloverfield but this is a picture of the supposed monster, and the little monsters that come off of him. Looks like a giant sperm whale stumbled upon some steroids and growth hormones to me.

Errm so if this picture is official, that means this monster is effin huge! Not even the combined efforts of Godzilla, Mothra or even Ultraman could take this thing down.

EDIT: Just found out the picture was fan made, pretty badass looking though.

I was about to say the creature in .GIF didn't look anything like that. Pretty awesome though.

What's funny though is watching the assumption videos on YouTube. People thinking it's a horse and Rob takes care of it. Oh my. :lol:

A monster sperm whale?

I'd vote no.

Its hard to say. We probably won't know until the week it comes out as to what the hell it is...

Errm so if this picture is official, that means this monster is effin huge! Not even the combined efforts of Godzilla, Mothra or even Ultraman could take this thing down.

CALL FORTH THE POWER RANGERS!!!

Holy f'ing crap, thats just plain awesome! I really do think this movie will be scary in that "Oh 'S' whats next!?!" sense, but it really does have me excited to see more. Early reviews on AICN have been nothing but positive, and this may in fact be one of the biggest movies of '08 without even trying too hard...

I think the trailer replicates scenes from September 11th too well.

But, that's just me.

This J.J. Abrams is also directing Star Trek XI? Please, please, don't screw it up!

Also, for anyone with a PS3 the first full trailer went up on the PS Store last week in full 1080 HD.

I think the trailer replicates scenes from September 11th too well.

But, that's just me.
I think you may want to get used to it because until now we did not know what an uncontrolled skyscraper collapse looked like. Now we know and every movie that has one will try to emulate that same look.

This J.J. Abrams is also directing Star Trek XI? Please, please, don't screw it up!
I don't know if you can call it Star Trek XI. It is supposed to be going back to the beginning with an all new cast to play Kirk, Spock, and the gang. It could be incredibly awesome or incredibly bad.

Looks like the leaked version of the 2nd trailer has a good glimpse of the monster at 1:30... Pretty much what I thought it was going to be. Sorry if it's a repost, but I don't think this has made the rounds yet.

Damn this is going to be awesome.

M

It still seems like its going to be Godzillas baby or something like that. I saw a trailer for this again when I went to see "I am Legend"

It still seems like its going to be Godzillas baby or something like that. I saw a trailer for this again when I went to see "I am Legend"
It is supposed to be a monster movie, but not Godzilla. JJ Abrams has clarified that he wanted to create a new movie monster that could be claimed by America the way Godzilla is claimed by Japan.

Personally, I thought that was King Kong, but what do I know?

It is supposed to be a monster movie, but not Godzilla. JJ Abrams has clarified that he wanted to create a new movie monster that could be claimed by America the way Godzilla is claimed by Japan.

Personally, I thought that was King Kong, but what do I know?

Yeah, King Kong FTW.

But, I guess this guy wanted to create something original and new. Best of luck to him. It's not going to be easy.

I can say that one 'revealed' monster looks totally ridiculous. A nuclear mutated whale with fleas. Real 'original'.

Yeah, King Kong FTW.

But, I guess this guy wanted to create something original and new. Best of luck to him. It's not going to be easy.
Considering this is the same guy that does Lost I would say that he has a good chance of pulling it off, but it may be a love it or hate it thing just like Lost is. He also did Alias, but I don't know how original the spy thing was.

I can say that one 'revealed' monster looks totally ridiculous. A nuclear mutated whale with fleas. Real 'original'.
Well, there is a huge thing regarding Slusho, this drink that is supposed to be really popular amongst American college kids. That is who the main character was supposed to go work for in Japan. The best guesses I have seen online are that whatever the Slusho secret ingredient is, which they claim to get from the sea, is important to the creature and as the supply has run low it comes ashore where it senses the ingredient is in strong amounts.

That's all just Internet rumors based on the movie studio having the rights to the Slusho Web site, slusho.jp.

Whatever it is though I think the nuclear mutation thing is a bad way to go because the Japanese have been guilt tripping the US for that since the first Godzilla.

Whatever it is though I think the nuclear mutation thing is a bad way to go because the Japanese have been guilt tripping the US for that since the first Godzilla.

They have? I've never felt guilty about it. I guess they failed.

I like how they blamed Chernobyl for the new ('98) Godzilla movie.

Looks like total s**t. If it really is basically entirely shot on handheld cameras I will not be watching this movie.

They have? I've never felt guilty about it. I guess they failed.

I like how they blamed Chernobyl for the new ('98) Godzilla movie.

I thought the new Godzilla movie used Bikini Atoll for its monster to be born of...
I'll have to give my copy a look over

either way, the method they are promoting this new film with has got me hooked!!

Back