The Console War is Over

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Viper_Maniac, May 22, 2002.

1. Viper_Maniac

Viper_Maniac

From PSM:

2. DessViperV-10

DessViperV-10

woohoo,now all we got to do know is get the war on terrorism over and find that bin laden..... :Oo7:

3. Shannon

Shannon

:thumbsup:

4. vat_man

vat_man Staff Emeritus

I quoted this article in another thread:

http://red-mercury.com/mmceo/mmceo_current.html

I work in an IT support industry and had heard rumours that the commonly held assertion that Sony were losing money on PS2 consoles might not be true, and the above article seems to suggest this might indeed be the case.

I'd also heard MS were losing money on Xbox off the bat (i.e. at the $US299 launch price) but I don't think anyone realised they might be taking a $150-200 beating a unit six months after launch. That's a lot of software per console.

There's industry talk MS might take up a $1 billion hit on the X-Box in the first 12-18 months.

Best case for in-house development I ever heard....

5. Psxgamer27

Psxgamer27

nice to see ps2 is on top! now all i need is the money to get me one:)

6. XBOX is a joke.... in 7 years it will be remembered the same way the Sega Saturn is remembered today

7. Viper_Maniac

Viper_Maniac

The Xbox isnt a joke. Just a few flaws.

8. vat_man

vat_man Staff Emeritus

I'd call a disadvantage in manufacturing economies of scale compared to vastly more experienced opposition a pretty fearful 'flaw'.

9. MistaX

MistaX Premium

Xbox will be more like Jaguar (the console, not the car) in 7 years... no one will remember it :p

10. LordIV

LordIV

Its clear that MS will not be able to make a profit off of XBox. The system costs $400 to make, and now they lose $200 on each console. Every million consoles sold is now $200 million lost. Plus there is only a $10 or so cut on software. So to break even, each console buyer would have to buy 20 games. Not too many people will bust out and buy $1000 worth of games. So the only thing they can hope for is time to bring costs down, but Sony will still be profiting. There is just no way to catch up. Sorry Microsoft. :cool:

11. speedy_2

speedy_2

PS2 RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Ruffryder27

Ruffryder27

ahhhhhhh now i can show this too my friends who love Xbox :p

13. vat_man

vat_man Staff Emeritus

As I mentioned above the industry talk is $500-1000 million losses on the X-Box in the first twelve months, and there is talk that Sony and Nintendo are actually profitable on console sales at the current console prices.

Golden rule of business - if you're selling each unit at a loss, more volume is bad.

Whoever did the market and competitor research at Microsoft might be feeling a touch nervous at the moment.

I saw a book in the business section at a local bookshop on the development of the X-Box - sure did read like propaganda. The next edition should be interesting...

14. Viper_Maniac

Viper_Maniac

I dont care what they say about the Xbox, I still love to play it.

15. vat_man

vat_man Staff Emeritus

Oh - I'm not debating the quality of the hardware.

Unfortunately, these products need to live in the real world, and be manufactured and sold in shops and make money - and on that basis it appears Microsoft have made some critical errors about their competitors ability to reduce costs. Microsoft appear to have severely compromised their own ability to realise significant cost reductions through the life of the X-box by employing three different suppliers of critical components (one would think that with Intel and Nvidea enjoying the popularity they do that their contribution to the X-Box would already be pretty close to the bottom of their respective potential cost to produce).

Thinking deeper on it, I wonder if this stems from the fact that Microsoft is a software producer. There's a very big difference in the mindset of someone producing intellectual property, and someone producing physical goods. Sony and Nintendo have been doing this for some time in one form or another, and experience counts for a hell of a lot in any manufacturing industry.

16. Sage

Sage Staff Emeritus

No one can say it better. ;)

17. DeliveratorTitan

DeliveratorTitan (Banned)

PS2 is THE king. No other console can rule over it, not even the most advanced modded computer.

18. Gran Turismo7058

Gran Turismo7058 (Banned)

PS2 killed Xbox!!!!!!!!

19. Viper_Maniac

Viper_Maniac

:reallyodd

20. 1mic

1mic (Banned)

x-bocks suckx plain and SIMPLE, gamecube beats it!!!
    1: PS2
    2: Gamecube
    3: x-bocks
    :mischievous:

21. rjensen11

rjensen11

I agree that X-Box isn't the best thing out there. For one, it's basically what, a P3 700mhz computer with a G-Force what, 3, in it, using 4 gamepad ports, an ethernet jack in the back, a hard drive, and an a/v output on the G-Force card.
    Now let's look at the +'s of the X-Box, so Sony can take some ideas from them:
    1) The controller cable:
    I don't know about you, but I really like the idea that if somebody accidentally steps on it so the console doesn't fall off the tele or anything.
    2) Comes standard with an ethernet jack
    The only way I can think of getting the ethernet for the PS2 is to either buy it with the Linux kit or buy it individually once the multiplayer games come out.
    3) Standard with a hard drive
    I'll grant that it seems silly, but if you have an internet connection, you'll really want a hard drive so you can get mods for the games you play. You wouldn't use this as your memory card all the time because then you couldn't move it from your place to your friends'.

There, the 3 best things about X-Box. Everything else is just a waste of money because M$ is careless, uses too many resources, and isn't the least bit terse. I bet there's plenty of codes that could be combined for all the Microsoft games, but PS2 doesn't because of the programming language.
    Bottom Line:
    X-Box is a modded PC. It has the same components plus the A/V jack and the custom gamepad ports. All the game producers need to do is change a tiny bit of coding from a PC game and they've got an X-Box game

22. Sic 3vil

Sic 3vil

You will all soon realise that half of you are ignorant assholes. I've even seen some PS2 "whores." And that's pretty sad. Since I just found this forum about 20 minutes ago.

You have my Pity...

23. Viper_Maniac

Viper_Maniac

:reallyodd

24. vat_man

vat_man Staff Emeritus

Uh, yeah....that's a fantastic comment on a forum pretty well dedicated to a PS2 only game. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate?

Or, perhaps preferably, not.

25. HUDSONJONES

HUDSONJONES

eject this retard!!!!

26. DeliveratorTitan

DeliveratorTitan (Banned)

Shut up, stupid be-atch!!!

27. keeno_uk

keeno_uk

I knew this was gonna happen I reckon the ps2 was gonna be an instant hit the idea of getting the console out a whole year before any other competitors shows that it will have a massive head start I reckon its gonna be 1.ps2 2.GC. Xbox

28. keeno_uk

keeno_uk

:rolleyes: why are you here if all ya gonna do is take the piss a wanker like you should have better thins to do like wank over your xbox playing dead or alive 3 no sorry you don't like women you like abe :lol: