The coolest street race I've ever seen

• Thread starter 93SHO
  • 14 comments
This one is from a few weeks back... just thought I'd share it with all of you car freaks.

I was at work, and I was going out to get some coffee when, as soon as I stepped out of the store, turned my head to the left, and noticed a red Viper RT/10.  Naturally, I went over and checked the thing out.  Turned out to be a Hennessy Venom 550 Viper.  It didn't have just the Venom 550 sticker... saw the air/fuel controller (yes, it really had one), and it had 335 tires on the back.

After a few minutes of drooling over the Viper, I looked up and noticed a Callaway Corvette parked on the other side of the lot.  Fifteen seconds after I went over to check out his car, the owner immediately stopped eating breakfast and came over to tell me about his car.  Turned out to be a 1991 model year, 500 horsepower was his estimate.  Sad thing was, I knew more about his car than he did.  I have Corvette brakes on my SHO (the company is Baer), and I said Those are the Baer brakes, right? and he had no clue what I was talking about... argh... anyway...

So I go back to work.  Ten minutes later, I hear a deep rumble... the unmistakable growl of the Dodge V-10 engine.  I went outside, and saw him leaving in a cloud of his own tire smoke.  Very cool.  Next thing I see is the Corvette pull out of the parking lot, and takes the next turn fast... and gets sideways (these guys were buddies, obviously).  They were pulling on to the road where everyone around here cruises... so I knew it was on.

Both of them line up at the red light.  Both engines are letting out their 500+ horsepower roars as the owners so proudly show off their cars.  The street is practically lined with people, who were drawn outside by the Viper's huge burnout.

Light turns green.  Corvette hooks up before the Viper, who had a little wheelspin.  As soon as the Viper hooked up, they were dead even.  A few seconds later, the Viper pulled on the Corvette, and continued to until the Corvette owner gave up, and rightly so.  The Viper had about five to six car lengths on the Corvette before he threw in the towel, and they had to have been going 100 miles an hour (40 mile an hour speed limit!).

I called my dad to bring the Supra down, but he wasn't home :(

Sorry about the long post, just figured you guys would want to read about it!

Man, that sounds awesome!  Too bad you didn't have your camera with you.  :)

Dude I like your story.  Its too cool the way you have got a real liking for cars.  The story rocks.  
Yeah, they were buddies having the time of their lives.  I bet they laughed at the next town about their adventures in the previous town.  Thanks for the adrenalin rush.   Im calming down now.  
fart.gif

AR15firing.gif
slow cars

I wish i had of seen that. We don't get many, in fact practicly no cars like that over here. :(

I would have loved to have seen that but there is no chance of anything like that happening down here. People have nice cars where I live - there are always Ferraris and TVR's going past our house and there was even a Viper and a GT40 a couple of weeks ago but they are old men driving who are scared to go over the speed limit despite the fact that I have never even seen a Policeman in our town.

Quote: from Phil on 11:23 am on July 24, 2001[br]I would have loved to have seen that but there is no chance of anything like that happening down here. People have nice cars where I live - there are always Ferraris and TVR's going past our house and there was even a Viper and a GT40 a couple of weeks ago but they are old men driving who are scared to go over the speed limit despite the fact that I have never even seen a Policeman in our town.
Awesome, you should set up a webcam pointing at your street!

I know what you mean about (realy) old people driving nice cars and doing way under the speed limit, wher I lve its a retired community and thats all you get. Buy the way the story about the viper and corrvet, sweet deal to have seen that.

@psycho: Yeah, at least these old people are driving the cars.  :)  One of my relatives owns a Viper, but I'm not sure if it's left the garage.  :shakehead:

@Phil: Yeah, I don't have one either.  But, if you do ever get one, I know a website that would love to host it.  :smilewinkgrin:

dude i was in street racing with my friend car cauze i m in the car. We were going home after we goint to the mall. we was driving and there is a red car i think is honda and they they to race so step on the gas and those step too. and then they tried to block my friend's car with another before us and he to slow his car so my friend couldn't pass. we said let's do it and he go throught the middle of two car and pass it was quick and scary too.

Thats a great story, too bad you did'nt have your camera. I live in a very little town once in a while late at nite I can here them racing on the backroads. I hav'nt been able to catch a race yet, by the time I find them they are long gone.....

@ Jordan, dont worry, I know you would drive it like its meant to be driven, the people around here only know how to drive realy slow in the fast lane no mater what thier driving.

Back