The Crew 2 Official Game Discussion Thread

• Thread starter dice1998
  • 2,906 comments
If the physics in the first game are as bad as some are saying, then I will pay special attention to that. I don't want a repeat experience of NFS 2015.
I didn't play the game before they patched the physics, but the patched physics aren't horrible.

For one thing, each of the different disciplines has its own handling, so your experience kind of depends on what you expect from each one. Street is pretty standard arcade-style handling, Dirt is drifty and weighty, Perf accelerates harder and is extra grippy, and so on. I enjoyed Street for cruising, Perf for highway runs, and Dirt for drifting up and down mountain passes (Dirt is the only one that drifts well enough, including on pavement).

What makes it kind of "meh" is that overall, cars are kind of wobbly and regain traction awkwardly after a drift, the sense of weight or momentum is lacking, and your car can do unexpected things when catching air and landing. Plus, I had to adjust the steering options to suit my preference (it offers a few adjustable sliders). Like @DDastardly00 said, it's an improvement over the TDU games, and I would also probably rate it comfortably above NFS 2015 (I haven't bothered to try it, but it resembles HP2010's and MW2012's wacky physics).

I hope this won't be Online only. I mean, look at the mess that the first game was when it was released. It was a nightmare. IMO. 👍

The Crew's launch was fairly stable actually, I started playing on launch day and had very little problems if any at all. Calling it a nightmare is overblown. Now, TDU2's launch is exactly what I would call a nightmare.

Same. But I think it's unlikely due to the premise of the game: huge open world with a bunch of players driving around.
Yeah, just what I was thinking. Wouldn't be much to do really without others and the whole point of The Crew was to actually race in a Crew with Humans, not the AI. But then again NFS Carbon made it work, but I guess that was because it was set in a just a City.

@DDastardly00 Not really overblown, it is my opinion. And in my opinion it was a nightmare. Constant lag & frame rate drop, and other players lagging everywhere & achievements not popping up when they were suppose too. The game was a mess, but it picked itself up & improved a lot over time. It wasn't my internet either, it was all fine & working. You may have had different experiences to what I had, so if that's your opinion then that's fine. But I saw it differently, could be to do with regional differences. I don't know.

Last edited:
The Crew server shut down announcement incoming.

This is why always online games are the dumbest idea ever and not worth 1/3rd what a normal game costs. It's a glorified rental, nothing more.

And nothing the Crew actually did as far as online functionality was really that much different to what Test Drive Unlimited did 11 years ago. Difference is that game had seamless online connection. No interruptions or requirements to play online. Worked fine eitherway.

Always online is nothing more than a tactic to force people to buy new games

The Crew server shut down announcement incoming.

This is why always online games are the dumbest idea ever and not worth 1/3rd what a normal game costs. It's a glorified rental, nothing more.

And nothing the Crew actually did as far as online functionality was really that much different to what Test Drive Unlimited did 11 years ago. Difference is that game had seamless online connection. No interruptions or requirements to play online. Worked fine eitherway.

Always online is nothing more than a tactic to force people to buy new games
This

A good example is NFS: 2015, which may cancel it's servers soon because of bandwidth.

But, at least Ghost was able to solve the Online Only thing to be optional to be able to play multiplayer in the next release.

I'd say the Test Drive series is just as good as The Crew because you had more to do collect cars, buy property, customize property, wrecked finds, cruising with friends in their cars, races, and other stuff that I forgot about in TDU2. Yet, you still had a lot more options than The Crew, which is funny.

The micro-transactions for a $60 game that I payed for is not right, this was the Wild Run Edition, and I was upset. I couldn't buy most of the JDM cars that I wanted because the pricing was so outrageous and the rewards felt like it was a NFS: World EA Clone with less functionality and passion put into by the developers. Heck, even a RX-7 (FD) costs around $600,000 price of a super car. I didn't get much rewards at all, and I felt like I bought into the hype of the game by my friends. I don't like it now and I can see why people would hate the game for what it is.

Dang! Beat me to it! :P

Tagline states something about "beyond roads", so I'm thinking something more offroad based.

Hopefully they give the physics an overhaul, too.

Offroad is cool, but I'd prefer something more offline based. :sly:

If it requires an always-on internet connection like the first one, it'll still be a pass for me.

Alright...I'm not particularly a fan of multiplayer-centric games, and I agree with @TomBrady that games that rely upon a connection to a server will inevitably die and therefore offer limited value compared to a "permanent" physical game. I'm glad I only paid $14 for The Crew (including Wild Run) on sale, especially after I got disconnected once (but only once).

However, The Crew is legitimately a racing MMORPG. TDU tested the waters with that idea, and Korean MMORPG developers have actually tried one or two of those, but The Crew is a success story for the concept. I mean, they went so far as to incorporate an utterly abstract XP and level system for upgrades, PvP territorial battles, and even a familiar system of daily/weekly/monthly rewards.

The fact that it's buy-to-play and the fact that you can play it solo without even having a PS+ or XBL Gold subscription makes it a rather consumer-friendly MMORPG, and I think Ivory Tower has justified online-only with the extent to which they've adopted the MMORPG model. It's not a singleplayer-oriented game with an unnecessary online connection, even though I was allowed to play the whole story solo and cruise and do police chases (without PS+ or the new DLC??) on my own.

As much as it might be online-oriented, there could still at least be some barebones offline functionality. How hard would it be for them to just let us just drive around and explore the map while offline? That's all I'm interested in doing, personally.

If The Crew 2 was a sandbox game where you were free to explore the map without constant grinding and other BS... (and offline capability) and without wonky physics... then I would buy it hands down. Otherwise... no sale!

Alright...I'm not particularly a fan of multiplayer-centric games, and I agree with @TomBrady that games that rely upon a connection to a server will inevitably die and therefore offer limited value compared to a "permanent" physical game. I'm glad I only paid $14 for The Crew (including Wild Run) on sale, especially after I got disconnected once (but only once).

However, The Crew is legitimately a racing MMORPG. TDU tested the waters with that idea, and Korean MMORPG developers have actually tried one or two of those, but The Crew is a success story for the concept. I mean, they went so far as to incorporate an utterly abstract XP and level system for upgrades, PvP territorial battles, and even a familiar system of daily/weekly/monthly rewards.

The fact that it's buy-to-play and the fact that you can play it solo without even having a PS+ or XBL Gold subscription makes it a rather consumer-friendly MMORPG, and I think Ivory Tower has justified online-only with the extent to which they've adopted the MMORPG model. It's not a singleplayer-oriented game with an unnecessary online connection, even though I was allowed to play the whole story solo and cruise and do police chases (without PS+ or the new DLC??) on my own.

Couldn't have said it better. 👍

The Crew was not a stand-out winner for me. I got it for free via GwG last year, but ended up putting the money down for Wild Run and the Season Pass afterwards (on sale :lol: ) because the concept appealed. It's a fun enough pick-up-and-play distraction for when I didn't want to play pretend race car driver.

I hope the physics get a tune-up. They weren't NFS2015 bad, but what is? I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking, but there were some problem areas that need addressing, like the exaggerated fish-tailing and weird traction issues.

I don't mind the always-online. It felt like a natural extension of the premise of the game, and helped the world feel populated and real. The always-online aspect of NFS2015 didn't really contribute anything to that game, probably because it didn't so wholly adopt the RPG approach. There were a handful of times when I'd be running festival qualifiers in The Crew and a few other players would end up at the same run/jump. It'd become a fun little mini competition, and that's really all I could ask for from a game like this: the sense that it's fostering a community.

Oh and hey, maybe this will be one of the only upcoming games to feature Ruf? Or is Ivory Tower jumping on the Porsche bandwagon too?

I really hope they change the physics engine this time. Right now I'm playing FH3 and madly love it, so I hope they at least try to do something close to Horizon series.
And please hire some other music guys! I love listening to racing game soundtracks if there are any, but The Crew is absolute worst, a lot of music is just off, it doesn't fit into the game at all, there were maybe just a couple of songs that were actually fitting the mood and atmosphere of the game.
And please more cars! 200 will be a good amount. Come on, Ubi, I know you have money. License some ordinary cars, like Audi 100 or something.
Though the map and locations in the first game were great, and this game being kinda ugly visually, and having horrible physics still got me to do freedrive challenges and basically road trips from one coast to the other from time to time, it just felt satisfying.
Well, hyped up for the E3 anyway.

P.S.: Honestly what I want is a Test Drive Unlimited successor. Such a great game it was. Not the second one though.

I'd rather have another Driver over The Crew.

When I replayed Driver SF and did a comparison between the two, Driver SF had better physics than The Crew. Plus not to mention Driver didn't have any microtransactions nor DLCs.

But I'm still curious to see on what Ubisoft has in store for The Crew 2.

I hope they add:

-A livery editor.
-Rim (wheel spoke, inner spoke, bolts/caps, & lip) & interior customization that rivals Midnight Club's.
-Custom avatars
-A co-op campaign that revolves around your own "Crew" that you choose a name, custom crew logo, team color, & crew livery/ies for when the game begins. Or join a friends created crew.
-Crew Vs Crew battles ala TDU2 with crew car clubhouses, exclusive vehicles dependent on club tier, crew leaderboards, rankings, championships, etc. with a system that prevents a club from boosting by repeatedly beating a dummy club.
-Properties
-Better Physics
- Better variety of road types, surfaces, widths, etc.
-Balanced Multi-Spec races where players can compete evenly with different specs on different routes in the same race (think "head to head" racing).
-Multiple maps (Hawaii?, Alaska, South America?)

Last edited:
I really hope it's 1 to 1 scale US
I highly doubt a map anywhere near the size of The Crew's will ever be done in 1 to 1 scale (in fact I can't think of ANY open world game that has a 1 to 1 scale map for the following 2 reasons). Not only do I think it would be much harder to create without spending much more time than they usually would doing a map on a smaller scale, but a 1 to 1 scale map would actually be terrible from a players perspective as well. I doubt anyone would have completed the campaign if it took more than a full day (in real time) to get from NY to LA or several hours just to complete each of the Faction Missions.

They should cover a smaller country, like Italy.
Surely 160 hours of fun is worth £60? 1 nights drinking on the town for me =£60.

We surely have different standards here. Yes 160 hours is more than I spend with a game in average, but adding two DLC's 25€ each and we are already at 120€ for the game and so many server/patch problems, plus not banning all the obvious cheater who ruined every single summit ranking until today is pretty weak. Plus a lot of achievements that don't work. The game itself was fun to play and it looked beautiful in 4k resolution.

What I expect from part 2 is a new setting, offline gameplay, more customization and a longer (and hopefully better) story mode

This

A good example is NFS: 2015, which may cancel it's servers soon because of bandwidth.

But, at least Ghost was able to solve the Online Only thing to be optional to be able to play multiplayer in the next release.

I'd say the Test Drive series is just as good as The Crew because you had more to do collect cars, buy property, customize property, wrecked finds, cruising with friends in their cars, races, and other stuff that I forgot about in TDU2. Yet, you still had a lot more options than The Crew, which is funny.

The micro-transactions for a $60 game that I payed for is not right, this was the Wild Run Edition, and I was upset. I couldn't buy most of the JDM cars that I wanted because the pricing was so outrageous and the rewards felt like it was a NFS: World EA Clone with less functionality and passion put into by the developers. Heck, even a RX-7 (FD) costs around $600,000 price of a super car. I didn't get much rewards at all, and I felt like I bought into the hype of the game by my friends. I don't like it now and I can see why people would hate the game for what it is.

I'd say test drive unlimited 1 is miles better than the crew because its physics were awesome. It really felt like a test drive because cars actually felt totally different to each other. It was a fun balance between Sim and arcade but without losing the individuality of the cars.

I think the crew has better physics than tdu 2 but it lost the individuality that made tdu 1s cars great to drive in addition to not being as good to drive in general

I really hope it's 1 to 1 scale US and it had damn well better have an offline mode...

No thanks. I'm not trying to have a 1TB map size.

...It's a fun enough pick-up-and-play distraction for when I didn't want to play pretend race car driver...

See, that's my thing. It had the exact opposite appeal! Mostly because the upgrade system was absolutely ridiculous and farming money was beyond enjoyable.

In fact I really want The Crew 2 to drop this stupid "smart loot" and go back to what they did pre-Wild Run, or even better, just drop that system entirely and do standard upgrades like any other racing title.

I stopped playing after smartloot. Made the whole game a boring grind.

Hopefully they'll improve the physics, rubber band AI and the environment (aka Niagara Falls)

The Crew isn't going anywhere, CAU just came out last fall. The servers will be open long after the masses have left to play other games and The Crew's place in the hall of driving games is enshrined into history, we're talking years from now.... when no one still cares. Ubisoft has already commented that they are committed to supporting this game long-term. I get the online-only discord, but the reality is, unless you plan on unboxing your old xbox one years from now and dusting it off (if you didn't trade it in on a Sony Playbox 720) and popping in The Crew for old time's sake, you probably won't be disappointed that the servers are no longer running.

[...]I get the online-only discord, but the reality is, unless you plan on unboxing your old xbox one years from now and dusting it off (if you didn't trade it in on a Sony Playbox 720) and popping in The Crew for old time's sake, you probably won't be disappointed that the servers are no longer running.

I play SNES and PS1 games even today, specially a while ago when MY INTERNET STOPPED WORKING and I had nothing else to do.
I don't think I will ever pay full-price for an Always-Online game. I played The Crew only because they gave it away for free on PC a while ago. And I played NFS World, since it was free, I had fun with it and could even have put some money into it, 'cause at least when the servers shut down (on which case having even the fastest, most reliable internet connection on earth will do NOTHING for you) you will have lost, like, 10-20$ instead of 60$ (that's for you 1st world country guys out there, to us it's actually around 100$, NOT counting our purchasing power*, JUST the converted price)

*Actually counting purchasing power: What's the minimum wage in the US? 1000 dollars a month? A 60 dollar game is 6% of that, here in Brazil, a brand new game is 18-20% of minimum wage.
So imagine paying 200 DOLLARS for a game to play on your 1200 DOLLARS console, that you can't play because their servers were shut down, or aren't working at the time, or because your 80 dollars a month 2mbps internet is not working.

They need to look at midnight and see what they did when it comes to customization. On midnight club you had the ability to paint whatever part of vehicle you want. The front and rear bumper, tint the windows whatever color, paint your rims, and make the nitrous whatever color.

Then when it came to the body parts of the cars you had so many more options plus on top of that the parts would actually look different. On the crew you got like 15 options for each car part (except wings) and when you scroll through them they all look exactly the same just about. Basically ivory tower needs to look at midnight and try to add what midnight had in their games.

I think it's too much wishful thinking but, as some others have said, I'd love an offline mode. I don't want to be persistently connected and I've been wanting a game with a massive, open world to explore without internet connection.

I get the online-only discord, but the reality is, unless you plan on unboxing your old xbox one years from now and dusting it off (if you didn't trade it in on a Sony Playbox 720) and popping in The Crew for old time's sake, you probably won't be disappointed that the servers are no longer running.
Isn't The Crew also a PC game?

I frequently play games old enough to be offline if they had depended on a server connection, and I own several with DLC I can't re-download if I lose any of it, or online multiplayer that is now unavailable. I've never stopped playing games for the consoles I started out with as a child, and every once in a while I revisit a few of the PC games from my childhood that require a bit of finesse to run in Windows 7.

I think for the whole online only situation is that the whole story line should be where you can do everything that way and then have online interaction after it's done.

Since who wants to be annoyed by a level 4 player trying to complete the last events?

Or do something like TDU2 did.
Where you can have the online interaction or if you don't then it's all like AI and they can be in the crew too.
There are ways of doing it just which way do they go?

Back