The Crew 2 Official Game Discussion Thread

• Thread starter dice1998
  • 2,906 comments
I've always wanted to visit the Great Canyon!

429e3a3e-b54a-466e-b822-2053b38a9a5a_Thumbnail.PNG

Consider this my "First Impression" of The Crew 2, taken from playing the Closed Beta for the last 4 days, clocking in a total of about 16 hours of play time.

MY PERSONAL STORY

• My first cars in each division, going from the order I think I'm expected to do play this game in, were a 2015 Mustang Fastback, a Buggy, a Proto Sportsman, and the Zivko Edge 540 v3. I managed to maintain those vehicles pretty well, but then I decided I wanted to put a touring car in me garage. So after a few hours after seeing it in the pro racing HQ, I decided to start saving up to buy a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, which I bought a while after and it cost me over $600K...and, for whatever reason, is more expensive than both F1 cars (which I feel should have been at least $3 million each). Just add some more horsepower, up the lateral G’s, and increase the top speed by 30 km/h, and I have this feeling that I’d be able to squash Clarence with this. As for the other champions? They can wait, for now. My point is: The champs, based on what I’ve done so far, don’t appear to be as good as the community (and by that, I mean the groups of people you encounter in The Crew 2) is making them out to be. But why could I spend some time winning races and beating scores and times on trials, when I could spend that same time hanging out with you guys and girls? @PsuPepperoni, especially.
VISUALS
  • The world is just as big as the original, but I can see Ivory Tower lived up to their word in re-doing the map...albeit certain sections of it, especially the downhill section leading towards Yosemite which got completely redone so it’s not a bunch of hairpins. Actually, I’m pretty sure that most of the parts of the map that were just hairpins were re-done so that they weren’t just hairpins. (EDIT: Upon further analysis of this statement as quoted by @Wolfe below, I should have known that a long, straight road would be just as, if not more boring than what I described here.) All in all, a beautiful environment that I barely got to explore - I didn’t even go to Detroit, Seattle, San Francisco, Dallas or Chicago. But I do plan on running a whole lap of America visiting every major city in the country...at least the ones here, someday.
STORY
  • The voice acting and story both are a bit on the weak and cliché side, but I don’t expect much from a racing game as I do from a JRPG. I don’t expect very many twists, either. I’m not really sure if even those are needed; I just need a selection of vehicles and a place to drive them. I turned off both voices and subtitles after a while. That said, the game manages to keep its tone of being upbeat and fun from beginning to a little bit past beginning because of the content lock.
CUSTOMIZATION
  • The livery editor is so much fun to use, but it challenged me at the same time, in that I'm not really that used to livery editors in racing games in the first place. For me, the most in-depth livery editor I’ve ever used goes to Gran Turismo Sport; that one had a Decal Uploader where you can go to GT’s official website and upload SVG Decals there, (15,000 bytes or less) then they show up in your game and you can use them there. I’d like to see that very feature here, because I can’t wait for the art community’s creativity to shine through and join the open world as one of the bright stars of The Crew 2, just as I did on Gran Turismo Sport, and just as others have done on the Forza Motorsport and Horizon games. I can see it all: Replicas of older and newer race cars alike, recreations of all of the famous cars we’ve seen in movies about fast cars doing what they do best, homebrew police cars, and yes...the itashas and the total 🤬.
GAMEPLAY
  • One of the first things I did was access the options menu to see what we can do. I switched the gearbox to sequential, fiddled around with the driving settings a bit (I’m familiar with the “Linearity” setting, but I have no idea what “Clamping” does), I turned off the music, as I like to drive without it, and what I heard of it was...alright. It’s just one station I listened to, but there are more which I’ll be sure to check out. In particular, the song which this game’s advertising and E3 Trailer featured prominently, Kaleo’s “No Good” was starting to get annoying really fast within the first couple hours, as it played every time I went home on a loop and there was no way for me to turn it off (Even turning the music off did nothing!). Thankfully, it just stopped after a little while, and I consider this a good thing because I thought that song was going to be tattooed into my head after the 4 days were over.
  • I’m not used to L1 and R1 for gear-shifting, and I’d like to see a “Custom Mapping” option where we can make our own control schemes to use. I’d like to use Square and X to shift, which leaves me to use either Circle or Triangle for nitrous.
  • I’m enjoying the new arrival of vehicles. I never got a chance to drive one of the air race planes, but I heard those things are ridiculously fast compared to their Aerobatics counterparts. The jetsprint boats are small and they don’t go very fast, but they turn like the Red Bull X2014 Fan Car. The plane and boat controls in general remind me of Grand Theft Auto V, especially when I turned the assists off. The planes tend to move downward when you’re flying inverted, and pushing down on the left stick while in a boat makes you go faster, just like in San Andreas.
NEGATIVES
  • I haven’t used it yet, but based solely on what I've seen at the top of the leaderboards for the Street Race-spec events, that spec's Lamborghini Huracan is looking to be a bit on the OP side, despite Ivory Tower’s best efforts to ensure that there’d be no OP cars in the game for each spec. I’m thinking it should be de-buffed so that it doesn’t dominate the top of the leaderboards as it appears to be doing now. (then again, all the underpowered vehicles should be buffed to compete with all the other cars as well). Wall riding should also be taken care of as I can do it pretty easily with my ’15 Mustang, (as well as the Koenigsegg Agera, which I haven't used throughout the beta, but I've seen that car wallride pretty hard) even if I lose 60 km/h going through one of the corners leading onto the freeway. We should be turning properly, instead of just riding the wall for a cheap advantage.
  • I think it’s nice that you can fully upgrade a car in 2-3 hours, but after that, I don’t think car with the levels maxed out should be handed out like ice cream from an ice cream truck. I think it has to do with the part sharing, where you can get one “280” part for a Street Race car and put it on another Street Race car that you just bought. In other words, after fully upgrading one car, you can fully upgrade subsequent vehicles in seconds. It's not a total killer, but I'm not the only one thinking that this deserves to be nerfed in some way.
  • Also, it’s going to have microtransactions. This sucks that a game this awesome gets a thing that so many other games have had for the last few years (I hesitate to call it part of the game), especially considering Ubisoft's revenue from them in 2017 outclassed everything else they made money from. The Crew 2 having microtransactions probably won't come as a surprise to me when I buy the game, considering Need For Speed: Payback was only one of numerous games released last year that had them, among all the other 🤬 they engaged in. I wouldn't be too bummed out since the game is generous with how it hands out its regular currency, meaning that the alternate paid currency would end up being pointless anyway. Then again, that can change...
TL,DR: It’s a big improvement over the first game, in gameplay - that it’s a lot more fun to drive, world - that it’s more colorful, vibrant, and engaging than the original as it spawns AI drivers if there are no human players in the session, and story - in that it’s nowhere near as dark and as serious as the first game, although that one tried to have its moments as well. Progression just needs to be slower...but at the same time, it’s much faster than most games in general, and even if it were to be toned down it’d still be faster than SWBF2 (the one that came out last year) was in its infancy. Also, the photo mode which doubles as a video editor is a fantastic addition to the game which allowed me to take photographs such as these:

I think the point I'm trying to make is...this game looks gorgeous. :drool:

But 3 weeks is how long we have to wait to actually play the game proper. I've already uninstalled the beta (because there's no reason for me to keep this on my PS4) and will more than likely be pre-ordering the Gold Edition.

If all goes well going into July, I'll say that Ivory Tower deserves every cent of their cut of the money this game makes. Ubisoft, on the other hand, can make their cheesecake, eat it, and share with us if they're feeling nice.

Last edited:
Nice write-up, but you're concerning me here...

The world is just as big as the original, but I can see Ivory Tower lived up to their word in re-doing the map...albeit certain sections of it, especially the downhill section leading towards Yosemite which got completely redone so it’s not a bunch of hairpins. Actually, I’m pretty sure that most of the parts of the map that were just hairpins were re-done so that they weren’t just hairpins.
Don't tell me they've improved the handling but watered down the backroads! There's more to a quality driving road than just hairpins, of course, but I worry about roads getting smoothed out to accommodate Joe Gamer barreling through at 200mph in his fully upgraded hypercar, making for a bland map.

Don't tell me they've improved the handling but watered down the backroads! There's more to a quality driving road than just hairpins, of course, but I worry about roads getting smoothed out to accommodate Joe Gamer barreling through at 200mph in his fully upgraded hypercar, making for a bland map.
Looking at the map, I was pretty disappointed that they took out the Yosemite switchbacks, but then I went to drive the new road it they actually made it more interesting, maybe even a bit more realistic than the repetitive hairpins. It's not a bad change; it's still fun.

@Nick Skyline Action Shots at Golden Hills

The biggest problem is the big white map. I want TC1 map but in TC2 so at lease I can see where I want to explore instead of being all white until you get a certain point.

Second is the loot drops, sometimes you get parts that are worse for you and it's like toss it away.
Wish they did something like TC1 where it's equal or slightly better than what you currently have.

Those are 2 that I have notice and hopefully in a short 3 weeks we should know what the final game is like for sure.

Second is the loot drops, sometimes you get parts that are worse for you and it's like toss it away.
Wish they did something like TC1 where it's equal or slightly better than what you currently have.

Theo says the exact opposite happens (when driving a car rated at 280 at least) and that is his biggest gripe with the game

tl;dw version: Theo says progression is too quick in The Crew 2 because you can earn max parts for one car and install parts on any car in the same spec. He suggests adding more levels in the full game to add more depth to progression.

Theo says the exact opposite happens (when driving a car rated at 280 at least) and that is his biggest gripe with the game

I was around 220 and I was getting many "Lower" parts.
I didn't max any vehicles out in the beta because of this.

I was around 220 and I was getting many "Lower" parts.
I didn't max any vehicles out in the beta because of this.

Based on the video posted above, I reckon getting lower parts within a certain specs will not be an issue once you have a car rated at max level, assuming nothing changes in the release build.

I got my TT RS up to around 220-230 or so and it was still giving me better parts, never got anything equal or worse than what I already had. I actually quite like the upgrade system as it finally gives us a racing game that isn't a complete grindfest. For once I'll be able to actually enjoy my cars instead of constantly working to make it faster.

Also the Zonda R sounds incredibly good

Also, it’s going to have microtransactions.
Its nice tradeoff for lack of paywall-locked vehicles.

Theo says progression is too quick in The Crew 2 because you can earn max parts for one car and install parts on any car in the same spec.
14 specs. 7 parts per car. 29 affics. 2 affics per part. You need 14*7=98 purple parts for 14 specs. 29*29=841 possible combinations of one part. 82418 purple drops if you want maxed vehicles with most powerfull affics in all specs. Also keep in mind, that you can get duplicated parts.

What i dont like, is that you can upgrade any vehicle with maxed level parts through swap feature, which ruins progression. I am ok with swap feature, but it shouldnt be available for non-maxed vehicles.

Also, there are icon perk system which is the most grindy part of the game, i will drop some actual info about it in my spreadsheet later.

Look at the damn water!:drool:
PS_Messages_20180604_090448.jpg

PS_Messages_20180604_090502.jpg

Another livery I put together. Slowly getting use to it. Hoping for a decal uploader like GT sport when the full game release. Also they suppose to give some news this week about PVP mode.

Comfort
Lucky - increase loot quality by 0.1%. Unlimited
Goldfinder - increase loot drop by 0.1%. Unlimited
Popular - increase fame gains by 0.1%. Unlimited
Rich - increase income by 0.1%. Unlimited

Pure - increase Nitro power by 0.4%. 25
Extra pump - increase Nitro refill speed by 0.2%. 25
Ventilated - Nitro refills by 0.5% during jump. 25
Resourceful - Nitro refills by 0.4% while braking. 25
Frenetic - increase Nitro power by 1%/sec while in use. 25
Drifty - - Nitro refills by 0.4% while drifting. 25
Tricky - Nitro refills by 0.4% when performing figures. 25
Sensor - increase Radar range to detect Live Reward by 0.6%. 25
Collector - increase Live Reward frequency apparition by 0.3%. 25

Vehicle
Bulldozer - increase collision impact force by 0.4%. 25
Bumper - increase vehicle's avoid tolerance by 0.4%. 25
Shifty - increase slipstream power by 0.4%.25
Air Intake - increase slipstream distance by 0.6%.25
Drag bump - increase speed while ahead of a vehicle by 0.4%. 25
Rear drag - increase distance detection of the Drag Bump by 0.4%. 25
Muddy - decrease offroad bumps and deceleration by 0.4%.25
Bender - increase the player's lean bonus by 0.4% for bikes. 25

Gameplay
Hothead - increase the speed multiplier by 0.4% in Drift events.25
Slippery - increase the maximum multiplier by 1 in Drift events.25
Magnificent - increase scoring by 0.4% in Aerobatics events.25
Extreme mode - increase Extreme mode efficiency by 0.5% for Aerobatics and AirRace planes.25
Gifted - increase scoring by 0.4% in Monster truck events.25
Gracefull - increase air rotation speed by 0.4% for Monster truck and Motocross.25
Skilled - increase scoring by 0.4% in all point based Skills.25
Perfectionist - increase gate angle allowance by 0.4% in AirRace events.25
Gateway - nitro refills by 0.3% when passing Perfect Gate in AirRace events.25
One point per level in one category. Example - with Icon 1 you get one point in Comfort, with Icon 2 you get one point in Vehicle, Icon 3 you get one point in Gameplay, Icon 4 you again get one point in Comfort, etc.

Affixes will be same as perks but with greater impact.

Had to cut some of these up a bit, Imgur didn't work for me as of late, with a 403 error when uploading images on there and no Discord nitro account
Pic_20180603_152703_3840x2160.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Pic_20180603_194839_3840x2160.png

unknown.png

Pic_20180603_175525_3840x2160.png

unknown.png

Along with some... ...Less serious pictures
Pic_20180603_151748_3840x2160.png

Pic_20180603_163915_3840x2160.png

unknown.png

And also some shots of the Spitfire with a horribly inaccurate Soviet livery that was published by some guy
unknown.png

Pic_20180603_231530_3840x2160.png
No, spoilers just hide the images from view. They still have to be loaded, regardless.

Nice write-up, but you're concerning me here...

They just announced open beta coming soon. to watch E3. You will be able to judge for yourself.

I never played the first Crew film but I got a closed beta code for this one and gave it a try yesterday and have to say I really enjoyed it. I love that they have added in boats and planes. Think I may get this at some point.

Open beta. Hmm.
Probably the same stuff as Closed.
Content locked to "Rookie" and such forth.

tl;dw version: Theo says progression is too quick in The Crew 2 because you can earn max parts for one car and install parts on any car in the same spec. He suggests adding more levels in the full game to add more depth to progression.

I understand he said at the end that he doesn’t want it to be more difficult for people, however, I still don’t agree with his logic. He did a decent job at explaining his points, but I don’t think he’s looking at the big picture here. All he talked about for the whole video was cars. There are multiple variations of cars, boats, planes and bikes too which make up 14 kinds of disciplines in this game. Yeah, if you just focus on one discipline, then it might feel like you’re getting stuff too quickly. However, I doubt anyone is going to stick exclusively to one kind of vehicle. That certainly isn’t what the game is about. The current system will allow players to have a decent collection of well-performing vehicles of all kinds within a reasonable time frame.

100% completing The Crew 2 is definitely of a goal of mine so I’m going to be doing everything. I’ll be thankful if I don’t have to spend a ridiculous amount of time grinding for every kind of car, plane, and boat to get them up to a decent level, so I hope the system in the beta stays in the final game. Not to mention, you still have to earn money to buy whatever it is that you want. This isn’t just about performance parts.

Last I heard g920 isn't supported yet. We also need clutch support.

I'm not getting this game to race, I'm getting it to collect the porches and cruise the country online

Waiting for e3 to decide whether to get the gold Edtion. Need all the porches

Last I heard g920 isn't supported yet. We also need clutch support.

I'm not getting this game to race, I'm getting it to collect the porches and cruise the country online

Waiting for e3 to decide whether to get the gold Edtion. Need all the porches

That kind of sucks. I also play just to collect cars and cruise around in games like these, but I like to feel like I'm actually driving.

Still no word on cops? I know it wouldn't make sense since this is more like a Horizon type game. But maybe add them in Free roam or something, along with police boats and helicopters :)

Still no word on cops? I know it wouldn't make sense since this is more like a Horizon type game. But maybe add them in Free roam or something, along with police boats and helicopters :)

No cops for the time being.

this video just got released about future content updates. I don't know if i'm understanding it right but it seems that the season pass cars will be for everyone but season pass owners get them 7 days early and get them in garage while others have to buy them.

Back