The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments

Corsa

Premium
United States
United States
According to Mike Hughes, from California.
Who intends to launch himself 1800 feet into the air Saturday to capture a picture and prove modern science is incorrect.
This must be the most absurd story I've heard this year.
Why would you launch yourself 2,000 ft in the air on a homemade rocket, when you could buy a 30,000ft commercial airline ticket for the picture proving us all wrong?
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017...-prove-earth-is-flat-california-man-says.html

Plenty of flat earthers around! Barmy!

However, this guy was trying to launch into space before becoming a flat earther, he is an Evil Kenevil type of guy. The story is that he latched onto the flat earth community to try and get some donations to finish the rocket and get into space.

And anyway the flat earthers have got it wrong, they have made no mention of the four elephants and giant turtle....

Flat Earth space program?

Imagine the embarrassment when they accidentally get a manned rocket into orbit and have no idea how to bring it back home again.

(That being said, a "Flat Earth" mod for Kerbal Space Program would be interesting... like, do they have enough physics theories to build a working flat earth physics engine?)

I heard one of these "flat earthers" on the radio the other week, they are good for a laugh but at the same time it's quite scary that they actual believe the things they say. Part of his claim was that NASA has agents patrolling the edge of the earth so that people don't fall off and discover the truth. :lol:

Or... he could go to Mount Whitney, California's highest point, at over fourteen THOUSAND feet...

He has to be of the daredevil attention seeking crowd, the whole story makes no sense. Not speaking directly of a flat earth which is preposterous but of his method of proving it.
Like you said, climb a mountain. I'd grab an airline flight and snap pictures.

This is my biggest question related to the whole flat earth conspiracy, why would they hide the fact that it's flat? What's the point? Is there something more to it than the earth being *insert whatever shape here*? Aliens? Military? What?

I've read a little on it from the believers. They believe there is an ice wall at the edge and beyond that are vast resources of land, oil, clean untouched water etc.
http://blackbag.gawker.com/the-earth-is-flat-explained-1755002534

XXI
According to Mike Hughes, from California.
Who intends to launch himself 1800 feet into the air Saturday to capture a picture and prove modern science is incorrect.
This must be the most absurd story I've heard this year.
Why would you launch yourself 2,000 ft in the air on a homemade rocket, when you could buy a 30,000ft commercial airline ticket for the picture proving us all wrong?
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017...-prove-earth-is-flat-california-man-says.html
Buying an airline ticket is easier than climbing a mountain but... wow, just wow.

Fox News Science
"I don’t believe in science,” Hughes said. “I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that’s not science, that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction."
Rocket man... I think it's going to be a long, long time before you prove the earth is DiscWorld.

Fox Science
The rocket should travel about a mile at a speed of roughly 500 mph.

That's just under 8 seconds. Does he put the brake on after that?

Fox Science
It’s scary as hell, but none of us are getting out of this world alive

Quite. Presumably his preparation has been top notch.

Fox Science
He claims to have built the steam-powered rocket out of scrap metal parts in his garage. The project cost around $20,000, including the purchase of a motor home off Craigslist that was converted into a ramp.

Ah.

I hope for the sake of humanity that his descent will be an uncontrolled flight into terrain, causing his idiotic fellow flat earthers to stay without answer, and follow his example. Like a horde of lemmings down a cliff.
He would literally be flat earth then, I don't wish ill on him though. Hopefully someone makes him see sense before it's too late, I do think it's about time for these flat Earthers to walk off the edge of Earth and enlighten us all.

...Holy moly. This guy is just... Just wow.

So, uh, since this is about NASA and their dirty, dirty conspiracy, what makes him and the fellow flat earthers believe that NASA won't try to shut them down, figuratively and literally? I mean, in order to preserve their secrets, NASA might shoot the home-made rocket down with a phaser beam fired from a secret base on the dark side of the moon.

:rolleyes:

Really now. Anything for that 15 minutes of fame.

So, uh, since this is about NASA and their dirty, dirty conspiracy, what makes him and the fellow flat earthers believe that NASA won't try to shut them down, figuratively and literally? I mean, in order to preserve their secrets, NASA might shoot the home-made rocket down with a phaser beam fired from a secret base on the dark side of the moon.
If he does crash and meet his maker, that's exactly what the flat-earthers and conspiracists will say.

This is my biggest question related to the whole flat earth conspiracy, why would they hide the fact that it's flat? What's the point? Is there something more to it than the earth being *insert whatever shape here*? Aliens? Military? What?

I think it's related to the space race hoax. They don't believe that there was a space race, so that would be NASA's reason for hiding the "truth", since a flat Earth would mean that the space race can't have happened the way they say it did.

Back in the 19th century though, it all started with an experiment to prove that the Earth is round, but the result was misinterpreted as being evidence of a flat Earth, and based on that one experiment one person started creating an alternative flat Earth theory (including a totally bonkers theory about perspective drawing).

I'm not sure I agree. Didn't Christopher Columbus basically prove the Earth is not flat?

Columbus believed the earth was pear or teardrop shaped at a time when it had been known for 2,000 years that the world was round; ancient Greeks and ancient Chinese knew the world was round.

Here's a lovely picture of Concorde at mach 2. Obviously a photoshop:

IMG_20171124_103310.jpg

Back