The fastest in Tokyo is.... a Corvette??

Being in the mood for a long drive as I was, I decided to take on “Tokyo’s finest” with the untested Corvette C5R that I had won from the big yawner, Super Speedway 150. I grabbed a NA Stage 2, racing muffler, super-slick racing tires, an oil change, and some new rims to boot and headed off to that famous Tokyo road, Route 246.

After one lap of qualifying, it was very clear to see that with the tuning I had done this race was going to be a blow out in my favor, so I got my guys to take out the NA Tune and leave the only HP mods the muffler and oil change. I re-qualified with a time greater, which I figured up to be about equal with the competition, yet I still had the pole from my other qualifying time.

Starting Lineup – Qualifying Times
Corvette C5R..............1’33.643
Castrol Mugen NSX.........1’37.624
Raybrig NSX...............1’37.846
Arta NSX..................1’41.762
Calsonic Skyline..........1’43.419
Loctite Zexel GT-R........1’43.500

The first few laps the Castrol and Raybrig NSXs and I swapped between 1, 2, and 3rd place, making it a tight race so far; something I was longing for. After 7 laps my only real competition pitted, leaving me to run off ahead of the field, knowing I wouldn’t have to pit for another 3 laps I enjoyed the cruising time alone. When it came time for me to pit, I was dropped back into 3rd by the Arta and Castrol NSX and the Raybrig NSX was right on my tail. I put off my second pit until lap 23 and after I did, the Arta NSX got way ahead, almost 20 seconds somehow, and it took me 7 laps to catch up. I’m not pitting again until that NSX does, I decided right then, hoping I could hold it together for 71 more laps in case the NSX never did pit. Finally, after I had passed it, on the end of lap 31 the Arta NSX pitted, giving me at least some leeway to pit with the Castrol NSX on the next lap. It continued like this for most of this race, making it better than I had hoped for. Just as I crossed lap 60 I saw my oil light come on and I knew that the Corvette wouldn’t be the same anymore, 41 laps left and no oil change shop in site? Too bad you can’t change oil in pits. When it came time for my last pit, I knew it was mine. After a cruise of the last 11 laps, I took the victory away in an American car. Too bad the fastest in Tokyo wasn’t made there.

Finishing Position................Time
Corvette C5R(me)...........2:48’11.272
Raybrig NSX..................+0’34.816
Castrol Mugen NSX............+0’36.507
Arta NSX.....................+1’07.580
Calsonic Skyline...............+2 laps
Loctite Zexel GT-R.............+2 laps

Winnings: 400,000 Cr. and the green RX-7 LM Race Car

Side note: At the end my oil was soupy brown and had dropped my power down by 50 from 690 to 640. Also, the replay stopped at around lap 57 or so, didn’t write down the exact lap.

Music: Initial D Special Stage D Non-Stop Selection, Initial D D Non-Stop Mega Mix, Initial D Best Selection. Almost got through all three complete CDs too.

Hey, good writeup there, and good race! I ran that in a stock 569-hp XJ220 racecar on T2s, with a remarkably similar time: 2h:47':55.559", with a margin of +37.204" over the Denso Supra and +37.436" over the Raybrig. Imagine losing a 3-hour race by 2 tenths of a second...

Back