• Thread starter Swift
  • 26 comments

Swift

GT Sport is looking good...
Staff Emeritus
United States
Maryland, USA
swift-bass
Does anyone still remember the first time you really "got it" When you started drifting?

I don't mean a perfect drift, but that feeling of control when your on the edge of losing control. That very fine line between spinning out and loosing your drift all together. When you hit opposite lock for the first time, ON PURPOSE. :D

I remember it was the long left sweeping decreasing radius left on Apricot hill in an S13. I couldn't believe how cool it was (for about 2 seconds) to be in that "zone".

How about the rest of you?

Let's test my memory:
Long plunging turn entering the tunnel near the end of Red Rock Valley Speedway (from GT2 for those not familiar). Unfortunately I don't really remember the car it was in or any other such specifics.

In GT4 it was finally getting the final turn at Tsukuba in my yellow Sileighty. Until then everything had felt like I was just sliding around until I ran out of momentum. To get that turn required that the car have the balance necessary to maintain a state of oversteer and still power itself forward. Without both of those you're likely to just end up in the gravel before completing even half the turn.

The first time I remember the feeling was when I was running tests with my cars to see which one could drift the best. The track in case was autumn ring mini.

My favorite part of the track is turns 5, 6, and 7. The first time i felt it was in these turns in an FD, it felt soooo good.:D Perfectly in control, just kept going, and going, and (you get the rest, ect. ect.).

Well i can't possibly remember exactly how did i get to start "drifting" or counter-steer really, but i'll try to say what i remembered.

From GT1 i guess....it was either one of these:
1. I got bored one day and started to use drift handling instead of grip/racing handling (forgot what it was...) and i was using either a Corvette or a Nissan Skyline....at high speed ring, on the second corner when i powered over my car started to slide and tried to counter steer, in the end i spun out!
2. I was driving a Aston Martin DB7 (thought it was a cool car to drive) tried to take a spin on high speed ring, only to find out that the car was tail happy! Can't control the car at those pesky esses and spun out while trying to counter-steer.
3. Can't remember at all, at a license test i guess :)

Well i actually started learning to drift from Colin Mcrae Rally to be honest 👍 (although the first racing game i played on my PSX was Need For Speed 4: High Stakes but power sliding isn't counted as a drift is it? :confused: I was using a Z4 against my brother (i think he was using a Z4 also) but i had to admit, i totally suck at racing games at that time! I mean i thought i was driving on the top screen, only to find out it was my brother, i was down there banging against walls and stuff.......oh how long it has come from there :lol:

when i tried a cheap setup on Arta MR-2 ... i made a SMOOTH turn on the tunnel corner like an euphoria. the speed was consistent, man i was never able to do something like that again..

then again drifting super speedway is just as fun

I know exactly what happened heh, it came together pretty much instantly when I switched from d-pad to wheel.

I got frustrated with my poor d-pad countersteering (I'd just discovered drifting at that point, and I couldn't work the analog sticks for the life of me), so I basically quit playing for a few months when I remembered this old dusty DF wheel lying in my closet (!)... and thought I'd try that :P The wheel took a day or so of getting used to, but after a quick session in Live For Speed I'd pretty much nailed it. The open-wheel view in LFS really helped.

Got myself a capture card and made 'helpless' a couple of weeks later. The 270R clips in that video are actually from the first wheel session after LFS.

Ahh...my first "sort of" drift. It must have been at Suzuka East, the first corner in a Vanquish. It was a small drift but controllable until I tried to chain drift and I lost it.....

It was a brilliant split second to feel the rear of the car suddenly leave racing line while the front still remained to be there. That's what got my blood pumping for drifting.

I know you guys don't see me around here but how else do you think I get shots for the drifting photomode competition? Just using the handbrake? :lol:

Sadly, I cannot remember the first time it "clicked". It is all pretty vauge. I can remember when I couldn't drift, but not when I first got it.

Don't remember the exact time...But most of my gt4 drifting has been learned from xlink kai play. It's all history since I started xlink. I used to drift in gt3 all the time...but its a joke compared to gt4...I would have to say I started getting it after I had people talk **** about my style. Now they can't touch me...thanks for the push u....

The first thing I got the drifting down in Gt3. I laughed at my brothers who didn't get it, then I tried it on Gt1 and 2 which I phailed at.
Gt3 : 900 HP R33 or R34
Gt4: stock Nur R34 on N1's

in a fpv GT on tsubka (howeve u spell it) circuit going round the last turn onto the straight. felt wikkid to i was going 160km/h

then switched to skyline and can drift good now

My very first big drift (GT3) was when I was just having some fun with a fully tuned Evo V with racing medium tyres on Mid-field. I wanted to imitate the rally-type driving, leting the rear slide at corner's entry. But my little sliding became bigger on each lap. And I ended drifting (going backwards) corner 6, the big banked right hander. After that I could only drift 4WDs.

Some time after, I tried seriusly to drift with a FR car, it was at the last corner of Complex String, after some practice I did it with not much style. I drove a fully tuned 180sx hatchback with racing medium tyres. In just a couple of days I could drift FRs quite decently.

Due to my knowledge adquired in GT3, I could drift in GT4 in the first day. The real challenge was avoid snapbacks and rise the speed at corner's exit.

i've been doing everything fine. but the TRUE GOT IT was when i can sweep through Tsukuba's sweeper perfectly. tahts when i truely GOT IT

I got that feeling for the first time about 30 minutes ago. It was during the Grand Valley tunnel segment (the one with the pillars and open wall on the left.) That tunnel is actually a really easy drift if you go into it right.

It was during the Grand Valley tunnel segment the one with the pillars and open wall on the left comin in from the S bend in a nissan silvia k areo 94 in top gear. the road opens as you go through the turn to put the power down. i rate it as the best corner to drift on

Does anyone still remember the first time you really "got it" When you started drifting?

I don't mean a perfect drift, but that feeling of control when your on the edge of losing control. That very fine line between spinning out and loosing your drift all together. When you hit opposite lock for the first time, ON PURPOSE. :D

I remember it was the long left sweeping decreasing radius left on Apricot hill in an S13. I couldn't believe how cool it was (for about 2 seconds) to be in that "zone".

How about the rest of you?

OH YEs i remember! :D

GT1. Dodge Viper GTS. First hairpin at Grand Valley (probably during the GT Cup race). I slid into the corner a bit and planted the gas pedal. The rear started to kick out a bit so i countersteered, but didn't back off the gas much. I actually didn't know i had drifted at first

....but once i watched the replay i was shocked at how cool it looked. :) I had read the DRiver's Manuals and stuff but all the info about friction circles and feint motion? I didnt' pay much attention to it because i thought "well, that's for advanced racers". So my first drift was an accident, really.

Wow! I did it yesterday, I was in a stock supra 2.5... and under the tire turn at TC, I hit opposite lock, on purpose, and it was beautiful!
If only I liked the body of the supra :(

Wow! I did it yesterday, I was in a stock supra 2.5... and under the tire turn at TC, I hit opposite lock, on purpose, and it was beautiful!
If only I liked the body of the supra :(

Really? What tires? I've been experimenting with different combos, lately.

i was driving the ae86 ss version at el capitan(normal direction). I approached the hairpin, pulled the hand brake and since my revs were pretty low at that moment i was able to hold the drift til the end of the turn. It was such a fluke but made me feel soooooo good :)

for me it was tsukuba and i had been trying to figure out the last really wide turn. I drove a m3 with n1 tires, heka suped up. and after like half an hour i realized that a little more than half way through the turn gets tighter so i just let of the gas and OWNED that last turn.

it was on grand valley in a mitsubishi lancer evolution gta, the corner right after the long straight, i was only going about 65(any faster and i wou;d hit the wall) i just kept tapping the gas, on off on off, for like 2 seconds it was. so rad

To the first post on this: swifts one.

that is the exact corner i first "got it". The sweeping left that has the dark tire marks. It felt real good, and it is a corner i always time perfect. It was the 1993 Silvia K Aero, no Aids, n2 tires. (in the new drift settings for '93 Silvia K Aero)

I remember shopping at a computer store and seeing a Logitech GT Driving Force wheel on sale (Not the DFP). I made the purchase because of the sale and went into training mode to learn to drift that day using a RX7, and then a NSX.

First time I really felt in control was drifting deep forest's big sweeeper after the tunnel.

I remember putting together my own driving setup and mounting the controller next to the wheel to use for shifting and ebrake.

I remember my first drift, it was on Autumn Ring Mini, I went into the dirt on the first tight corner, as i was going down the dirt hill I hit a jump then swerved back on track, and still drifted the corner. I think the clip is actually in my first GT4 video.

Back