The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 20 (Vintage Road Racers) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 107 comments
Yes, there are some great Gr.X cars from the 1960s, but none that were produced in significant numbers. The GT40 is borderline, but at least there were over 100 produced as opposed to 36 250 GTOs and 6 Daytona Coupes.

If the original versions of the SEMA winners were in the game, they would be eligible, but the SEMA winners have been modified and don't count as 1979 or older.

FINAL ENTRY

I have falling into 3 car choice mini, detomasso and mustang. If I use mini maybe I'll fall into rally livery but it will not give some good impression to me too simple or lack of sponsor hahaha. And about De Tomasso I just fear I'll make it too modern so that's why I make on Mustang it fit for my work and I just love Trans Am, well since the car isn't Boss 302 or 429 I wouldn't give the boss decal on car. Just hoping we can get RS Watanabe wheel someday for make it better result.

Ahhhh 🤬

Two entries in, and already people have done what I was thinking about. I have an emergency backup, but it's not creative at all...but I have to ask this, what qualifies a livery as 60's or 70's? Considering that in the same races you had basic striped cars running against any of the 917s I'm having trouble separating the era from the bare bones liveries I normally make.

Ahhhh 🤬

Two entries in, and already people have done what I was thinking about. I have an emergency backup, but it's not creative at all...but I have to ask this, what qualifies a livery as 60's or 70's? Considering that in the same races you had basic striped cars running against any of the 917s I'm having trouble separating the era from the bare bones liveries I normally make.

There was a wide variety of liveries in this era. A lot depended on the series the cars were racing in. Sponsorship was relatively new, and the number plates tended to be more prominent than the sponsor decals. Sponsorship and manufacturer branding started to shift liveries away from the national racing colors that dated back to the pre war era off racing, but some cars still used them here and there.

I didn't want to make any hard rules that governed was counted as a 60s/70s livery or not because a Baja Bug, a Ferrari 512 BB at Le Mans, and a NASCAR Styled Charger would all look totally different.

I think the first 2 entries nailed looks that were appropriate for each car. Other than the Samba Bus, I believe every eligible car participated in some form of racing during this era, so search the internet for inspiration.

Last edited:
Ahhhh 🤬

Absolutely no harm in doing what you want to do! Your car won't be the same as mine or @Baliwa's entry so you may as well do what you feel! I feel my car looks like it belongs in Nascar and not on a 1/4 mile due to the number as Drag cars tend to have window numbers. So, @machine1121 is the number a definite requirement?

Ahhhh 🤬

You still can do same theme with different styling, if you want bit different try search BSCC or ATCC around 70's it will give you lot reference.

Absolutely no harm in doing what you want to do! Your car won't be the same as mine or @Baliwa's entry so you may as well do what you feel! I feel my car looks like it belongs in Nascar and not on a 1/4 mile due to the number as Drag cars tend to have window numbers. So, @machine1121 is the number a definite requirement?

Wait isn't nascar number on that era bit bigger than that?

I get the look you're going for, so I'll make an exception and you can update your entry.

@Cytoria please update the OP to say;
- Must have a vintage style number plate, unless no number plate is more appropriate for the style of the car. Does not need to be Sport Mode Compatible, and if no number plate is used, the creator should explain why.

Wait isn't nascar number on that era bit bigger than that?

Yes but I just don't feel my car represents as a drag car!

I've edited my entry as per the new allowance of no number and I've also changed the name of the car. I chose Bonnie because why not? Scotland all that! So here you are....

The Bonnie Basher

Last edited:
Actually giving this a go for once...
FINAL ENTRY
20181215185322 small.jpg

20181215185336 small.jpg

FINAL ENTRY

32460333148_eac400bfe0_z.jpg

32460332908_07e235525f_z.jpg

44515646890_5fbee69cb2_z.jpg

If never canceled by the leadership of GM at the time, there was suppose to be 125 Corvette Grand Sports built to homologation for road racing. This livery is personal take of one example from the 120 that was never built. On the rear fender is a Long Island dealership called Baldwin Chevrolet, which shortly later became one half of the custom-built Corvettes and Camaros from Baldwin-Motion.

The Benson and Hedges Mini Cooper doesn't have a specific year however I figured smoking was popular in motorsport between the late 60s and early 70s, The design is semi based off a cigarette packet of the same vintage as are the logos all late 60s to early 70s I believe. Props to @Maninashed for his help tracing the B&H so quickly after I requested them 👍

If anyone would like to use it the Livery can be found HERE

I also created a suit for the action shot which can be found HERE

And a helmet which can be found HERE

Last edited:
I've went for the 60's/70's drag style car. I love the fact that these cars had some awesome names! Motown Missile is my favourite name for any car! A little bit of inspiration here and there but this is the pinnacle of drive it to the track, show it off, sell it!

@D-Max, I could not agree more!
Its impossible not to think of american muscle cars when thinking of the 60's and 70's. Cars designed for 1/4 mile races, with oversized engine blocks.

Well...There's nothing fancy to this one. If I had the money and were back in the 70's to go racing, this is what I would have done. I'll also explain why no sponsors, mostly it's because we aren't supplied a sponsor and I'm not very good at making liveries for sponsors on the fly, hell this took a week. Also, in the case the car would be used in different races, potentially with different tire or fuel companies or even a difference between classes, the decals could be applied easily where needed. Lastly, I just like the livery side of it. I've lost interest in a number of cars because of intrusive sponsors, in theory I can palette swap this for almost any sponsor and it'll still work.

Er...sorry to ramble incessantly. Here's the DL Link.

Back