The GT Sport Livery Editor Competition 20 (Vintage Road Racers) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 107 comments
I saw @BKGlover post his entry and figured, "It's now or never" since he and I were back to back last round, too. Ha!

This is an interesting and somewhat tough competition. I wanted to ensure that my livery had as an authentic a feel as possible for the car and the era it raced in. Many cars in the early '60's were simple paint jobs and that to me wasn't going to stand out enough, so the E-Type was out and 2000GT was in!

This scheme is inspired by the historical paint jobs of racing 2000GT's, with some liberties taken with colors and textures to visually enhance it. I decided to embody the changing era of livery design with this scheme by painting the body of the car Championship White (in my mind, the perfect Japanese white for racing cars) and then masking off the rest with a dark gray to denote a shift towards sponsor-driven design. Then I added the traditional red sun on the hood (a staple for the historical Japanese national livery) but framed red stripes around it, running down the body of the car. Lastly, I included some wear on the front and behind each wheel, as well as carbon build up above the exhaust tips from that old timey gasoline. I felt details like that would enhance the livery, although it was my first shake at doing anything like it.

I appreciate any consideration you might have for my design and wish everyone the best of luck!

Linky

Last edited:
Bummer........ Just upgraded my Playstation 4 to a Pro and thought everything was in the online backup..... Can see my creation but cannot edit it anymore :irked:, can only drive with them. But now I have to start over again...

Happy this is a nice challenge again!

FINAL ENTRY

N7zqr3t.jpg

vPcCHFd.jpg

Hqo9lYd.jpg

Link

Last edited:
Some great entries so far but I'm a little confused, are they supposed to look like professional race cars from the time or amateur entries by privateers?

Some great entries so far but I'm a little confused, are they supposed to look like professional race cars from the time or amateur entries by privateers?
You could go for either look. Just make the style appropriate for the car you choose and the type of racing it would have done in that era.

FINAL ENTRY
I make update for this one, fixing numberplate position and change shape little bit plus change one or two sponsor. Reasoning for this update is just get hotwheels car culture '69 Copo and Cobra Daytona after seeing that I just feel something is lacking something isn't right so I make this update.

I'm not used to old classics, and my american car culture can't stand a chance against some of you, so I've decided to go a different way : rallye !

The owner, Gilles Tiplanette, bought his A110 because he was attached to the french brand and he saw the palmares of the car. Although having an Alpine was far enough to stand out in his hometown, he didn't want to do "like everyone" and he bought the car in a nice shade of bordeaux instead of the famous Alpine blue.

The car was so fun to drive, he eventually wanted to race with it. He decided to team up with his good friend Jean Turismeau as a copilot. He contacted the factory, but the programm was alrealy packed. They still were kind to him, and they send him a bunch of decals, advices, and even a technician to help him setting up the car. He also convinced a local butchery, "la Boucherie Sanzot*" to support him. He never entered famous rallyes like Monte-Carlo or San Remo, but he had fun doing some local races, hillclimbs and events.

The studio shots were taken right after stickering the car, while the bonus shot shows it in its element after a rally stage, in the cold silence of the Massif Central, covered in muddy snow melting in the last rays of sun.

*la Boucherie Sanzot (aka Cutts the Butcher for our english readers) was also known in some of the Tintin's adventures. The car colour scheme is inspired by the official Combivan which is seen in the comics, with gold accents made with a Y2 small flakes base paint.

A small update will be made when I can make some nice real license plates. Edit : done.

Last edited:
I'm not used to old classics, and my american car culture can't stand a chance against some of you, so I've decided to go a different way : rallye !

The owner, Gilles Tiplanette, bought his A110 because he was attached to the french brand and he saw the palmares of the car. Although having an Alpine was far enough to stand out in his hometown, he didn't want to do "like everyone" and he bought the car in a nice shade of bordeaux instead of the famous Alpine blue.

The car was so fun to drive, he eventually wanted to race with it. He decided to team up with his good friend Jean Turismeau as a copilot. He contacted the factory, but the programm was alrealy packed. They still were kind to him, and they send him a bunch of decals, advices, and even a technician to help him setting up the car. He also convinced a local butchery, "la Boucherie Sanzot*" to support him. He never entered famous rallyes like Monte-Carlo or San Remo, but he had fun doing some local races, hillclimbs and events.

The studio shots were taken right after stickering the car, while the bonus shot shows it in its element after a rally stage, in the cold silence of the Massif Central, covered in muddy snow melting in the last rays of sun.

*la Boucherie Sanzot (aka Cutts the Butcher for our english readers) was also known in some of the Tintin's adventures. The car colour scheme is inspired by the official Combivan which is seen in the comics, with gold accents made with a Y2 small flakes base paint.

A small update will be made when I can make some nice real license plates.
Really liking the references the character names have to us all!

How die you get the snow on the front window ?
For the window wiper effect, I’ve cut and merge two pics I took with different settings. The rest of the « snow » is made by using in-game shapes on an alternate version of the livery.

How die you get the snow on the front window ?
For the window wiper effect, I’ve cut and merge two pics I took with different settings. The rest of the « snow » is made by using in-game shapes on an alternate version of the livery.

I think you should make a video and show how you did it, because I'm still lost in translation......

I think you should make a video and show how you did it, because I'm still lost in translation......
Easy to make with MS Paint.
8D09F6AF-2D5A-459D-8F5A-47566FD61361.jpeg

On the left, the main picture with the « cut » zone with the pink colour.
On the middle, the secondary picture with surexposed settings
On the right, the main picture is copied over the secondary picture with the pink set as transparency colour. The secondary picture is only visible on the pink zone.

FINAL ENTRY

"Mr. Gregg Hudson, well-known Scottsdale gentleman driver and owner of Hudson Chevrolet, entered the SCCA Trans-Am back in 1970 with a C3 Corvette, a convertible nonetheless. He didn't really achieve any particular victory, but still managed to finish in the top 10. Many years later, his son restored the car, and is heading on a road trip with it in memory of his father, who passed away 5 years ago."

I've really lost the inspiration these days, maybe because of work, maybe it's the "creative block", but after missing the asymmetrical fortnight I didn't want to miss this one either, as I really liked the theme. The livery is meant to be a Trans-Am entrant, sponsored by a local yet big Chevy dealer and driven by the dealer owner himself (which was a common practice back in the days). Mr. HP was chosen as a mascotte because POWAAAAAR, the rest of the logos are well diffused vintage ones.

I hope you like it, but the level has already been set extremely high so I know I stand no chance. It was still fun doing it!

EDIT: changed the preview shots, no change to the livery. Thanks to @Cytoria for the help with the Shiretoko settings, as the pics were extremely dull :cheers:

Last edited:
"Mr. Gregg Hudson, well-known Scottsdale gentleman driver and owner of Hudson Chevrolet, entered the SCCA Trans-Am back in 1970 with a C3 corvette, a convertible nonetheless. He didn't really achieve any particular victory, but still managed to finish in the top 10. Many years later, his son restored the car, and is heading on a road trip with it in memory of his father, who passed away 5 years ago."

I've really lost the inspiration these days, maybe because of work, maybe it's the "creative block", but after missing the asymmetrical fortnight I didn't want to miss this one either, as I really liked the theme. The livery is meant to be a Trans-Am entrant, sponsored by a local yet big Chevy dealer and driven by the dealer owner himself (which was a common practice back in the days). Mr. HP was chosen as a mascotte because POWAAAAAR, the rest of the logos are well diffused vintage ones.

I hope you like it, but the level has already been set extremely high so I know I stand no chance. It was still fun doing it!
This is nice and I really enjoy reading backstories for liveries :)

May I suggest that you adjust the picture settings of your main shots ? The yellow seems tamed compared to that awesome bright car in the bonus shot

This is nice and I really enjoy reading backstories for liveries :)

May I suggest that you adjust the picture settings of your main shots ? The yellow seems tamed compared to that awesome bright car in the bonus shot
I definetly should tinker with the Shiretoko settings, the color is the Y2 Matte from this week's Mileage Exchange, ain't the brightest but not that dull either. Thanks :cheers:

"Mr. Gregg Hudson, well-known Scottsdale gentleman driver and owner of Hudson Chevrolet, entered the SCCA Trans-Am back in 1970 with a C3 Corvette, a convertible nonetheless. He didn't really achieve any particular victory, but still managed to finish in the top 10. Many years later, his son restored the car, and is heading on a road trip with it in memory of his father, who passed away 5 years ago."

I like the stories as well, but since I just moved to the Phoenix area, I had to check to see if Hudson Chevrolet was actually in Scottsdale.

After going down an internet rabbit hole, it turns out that Scottsdale, AZ is home to Van Chevrolet. Which was part of the Van Tuyl group started by Cecil Van Tuly with a single Chevrolet dealership in Kansas City in 1955 before he and his son Larry grew it to 34 car dealerships and the largest privately owned dealership group in the US until they sold to Warren Buffet in 2014.

Still a great looking car and very representative of the era.

I like the stories as well, but since I just moved to the Phoenix area, I had to check to see if Hudson Chevrolet was actually in Scottsdale.

After going down an internet rabbit hole, it turns out that Scottsdale, AZ is home to Van Chevrolet. Which was part of the Van Tuyl group started by Cecil Van Tuly with a single Chevrolet dealership in Kansas City in 1955 before he and his son Larry grew it to 34 car dealerships and the largest privately owned dealership group in the US until they sold to Warren Buffet in 2014.

Still a great looking car and very representative of the era.
Well, the story is completely made up, no Hudson Chevy exists as far as I know :P I just like creating a backstory to my LEC entries, it helps me find the inspiration.

Thanks for the kind comment! Glad you like the livery :cheers:

Back