• Thread starter Cytoria
  • 291 comments

Cytoria

Premium
France
France
Cytoria

THIS FORTNIGHT'S THEME

This week, we are looking at an alternate reality. Last winner @Cytoria set this theme, here are the details :

" Some livery designs are iconic and mark memories. Although some of these are widespread among various brands and motorsport, others are heavily linked to a specific car or manufacturer.

This week we are going to shake this a little, to imagine an alternate reality where our icons no longer belongs to their historical partners.

We want to see something « disturbing » or even « heretic » here, not just a car choice because the original one is not in the game, like the many V8 Supercars liveries on the Atenza Gr.3.

The liveries need to be credible so you won’t put a Toyota or TRD logo on a Honda, but you’re allowed to have some creativity freedom too."

CARS
:
- No restrictions.
- The car must be from another brand than the original inspiration.

LIVERIES :
- « Replicas » or heavily inspired liveries.

UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS :
- The original livery must be related to one car or make only (No Martini or Marlboro liveries, for example).
- The original livery can be a real one or one that appears on a Gran Turismo game.
- The sponsors must be adapted to the new car brand to make it credible.
- You can go for the original livery sponsors’ logo or for their current logos. Just try to not mix them.
- Sport Mode compatible is preferable, but not mandatory as some designs are too far off.

BONUS PICTURE SETTINGS :
- Up to two bonus pictures
- No restrictions for the location or the settings.
- You can add a picture of the original livery on the accompanying text.

USER MADE DECALS:
- No restrictions.

GENERAL COMPETITION RULES

ENTRY SUBMISSION

- The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here
- Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
- Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
Code:
[COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
- One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a competition.
- You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
- Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
- Absolutely no entries which utilize edited/hacked file saves.

- Winner gets to choose the following Fortnight's theme.
- Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
- The Host may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
- It's recommended to share the original livery online (in-game) to prove it’s your work.
- Winner, second and third places will have to share the links of the liveries for the Hall of Fame thread

ENTRY PRESENTATION

- All images shall have preview images which may not exceed 640 pixels in either direction (main and bonus pictures)
- You have to post two main pictures of your entry using the mandatory locations and settings as shown below
- You are allowed to post two bonus pictures in a spoiler with free location and settings (unless the unique restrictions of the week’s theme specify something else)
- You have to make one post with ONLY the 4 pictures and the FINAL ENTRY mark. If you want to add precisions/background story/links, you are allowed to double-post under your entry. The best way to do it will be to "reply" to your own post.

- It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr
- Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
- A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
- Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it; it makes poll creation much easier!
- No heavy post-game editing, slight enhancing is allowed.

MANDATORY PICTURES

- You have to post a front quarter view and a rear quarter view of your car.
- You can choose between the Shiretoko 03 location or the White Sands 01/09 locations. No other location will be allowed for the main pics.

If it's your first entry or if you struggle with the picture settings, have a look at the tutorials below :
WHITE SANDS 1

WHITE SANDS 9

SHIRETOKO 3

- If you choose the Shiretoko location, please follow the settings in the spoiler below.
Car:
Detailed Settings:
- Key Lights: Off

Camera:

EV: +0.5

Effects:
Temperature: 9500 K

Screen Effects 1:
Mask: Background
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
- Saturation: 0
- Brightness: 500
- Contrast: 150 (This is key to controlling how light/dark the under-car shadow will appear)

Car Effects:
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
- Saturation: 125
- Brightness: 125
(Adjust these figures to suit the colour of the car)

- If you choose the White Sands 01/09 location, please follow the settings in the spoiler below.
Zoom: around 90mm at stock position
Aperture: f/32
Exposure Correction: +1.0
Shutter Speed: 1/1
Single AF on the A-pillar/mirror

Temperature: 6500
Color Cast Correction: 0.025

Screen Effect: Background Mask
Individual Correction:
Saturation: 100%
Brightness: 500
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 0

Car Effects:
Brightness 120

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.

DEADLINE :

May 27, 2020 (23:59, CEST/GMT+1)

Last edited:
just to clarify, if the original livery I have in mind does not have the manufacture mentioned on it but it was only used on one car and model, is it still eligible?

just to clarify, if the original livery I have in mind does not have the manufacture mentioned on it but it was only used on one car and model, is it still eligible?
Yes I think it’s fine.

If anyone has a question, feel free to DM me with your idea and reference pictures, I’ll be happy to dispel any doubts.

giphy.gif

Can I clarify something? It's not very clear to me what is allowed and what isn't. For example, recreating the Castrol Tom's Supra onto the latest Gr3 supra machine? Would that pass the rules as Castrol is an iconic brand but has been used on countless cars over the decades. I ask cos you state Marlboro and Martini wouldn't be allowed for example. (I know the Supra has been Castrol'd hundreds of times, its just an example)

Basically is the idea to recreate an iconic livery on a car it's never been on? Calsonic Skyline but on a Renault for example

Can I clarify something? It's not very clear to me what is allowed and what isn't. For example, recreating the Castrol Tom's Supra onto the latest Gr3 supra machine? Would that pass the rules as Castrol is an iconic brand but has been used on countless cars over the decades. I ask cos you state Marlboro and Martini wouldn't be allowed for example. (I know the Supra has been Castrol'd hundreds of times, its just an example)

Surely Supra on to Supra would just be a modern interpretation rather than something "Disturbing".
I expect to see cursed images.

The Castrol Supra on a Toyota is forbidden. But on a NSX like in the banner it’s fine.

You can still do a Castrol Supra, but with this livery :
58666368-3669-475E-8209-F4A185ED4E47.jpeg

Like @Racerx_34 said, it is not a modern throwback, exact replica or « obvious » transposition theme.

The effect I’m looking for is « Oh I know this livery! But there’s something wrong... »

The Castrol Supra on a Toyota is forbidden. But on a NSX like in the banner it’s fine.

View attachment 920559

Like @Racerx_34 said, it is not a modern throwback, exact replica or « obvious » transposition theme.

The effect I’m looking for is « Oh I know this livery! But there’s something wrong... »

This as an example too, oh wait I technically have an entry :lol:

View attachment 920559

Cool thanks for the clarification on everything. I get the idea you're going for. I have a livery or two already made so I may well tweak one of those and enter that. Cheers

You can even put a modern (non-Ferrari) livery on an old classic like the Ferrari P4!
Would that require usage of vintage/period-correct decals as well? I got an idea but just want to know how to stay within the rules. Obviously the main sponsor logo and design can't really be altered but tire and oil suppliers usually have vintage logos as well, so I should I use those or their livery-correct versions?

Would that require usage of vintage/period-correct decals as well? I got an idea but just want to know how to stay within the rules. Obviously the main sponsor logo and design can't really be altered but tire and oil suppliers usually have vintage logos as well, so I should I use those or their livery-correct versions?

- You can go for the original livery sponsors’ logo or for their current logos. Just try to not mix them.

Just invert the time period from this sentence.
So, you can use vintage version of one logo on a vintage car. But try not to mix vintage logo with current other.

2020 cost cutting in full effect from all the Mercedes F1 sponsors moving to the Ferrari GT programme instead bringing Hamilton along too since he's secretly a fan of Ferrari and this is his best opportunity to leave Mercedes.

Livery retains the 2020 sponsors as well as a red Ferrari horse in honour of Niki Lauda

2020_Formula_One_tests_Barcelona%2C_Mercedes-AMG_F1_W11_EQ_Performance%2C_Hamilton.jpg

FINAL ENTRY

Not sure if this is what you had in mind @Cytoria but…

Audi Sport TT RS S1 E2

Really like the bold colours and designs of the 90s and 80s, figured it had to be an Audi so the Quattro had to be the one. The original car is plastered with HB International sponsors, which obviously a modern car cannot use. I looked into the company and it turns out it was bought out by British and American Tobacco (BAT). BAT also rather conveniently has not long signed a sponsorship deal with McLaren F1 under the branding ‘A Better Tomorrow’ so I used those decals in place of the HB sponsorship.
I also looked at the rest of cars sponsors and tried to make sure I was using the most recent logos and sponsors possible.

If this isn’t really what you had in mind let me know, got loads of dumb ideas I can try.

Audi Sport TT RS S1 E2

Really like the bold colours and designs of the 90s and 80s, figured it had to be an Audi so the Quattro had to be the one. The original car is plastered with HB International sponsors, which obviously a modern car cannot use. I looked into the company and it turns out it was bought out by British and American Tobacco (BAT). BAT also rather conveniently has not long signed a sponsorship deal with McLaren F1 under the branding ‘A Better Tomorrow’ so I used those decals in place of the HB sponsorship.
I also looked at the rest of cars sponsors and tried to make sure I was using the most recent logos and sponsors possible.

If this isn’t really what you had in mind let me know, got loads of dumb ideas I can try.
Sorry but it’s an Audi on an Audi... nothing disturbing here, more like a tribute than a heresy.

2020 cost cutting in full effect from all the Mercedes F1 sponsors moving to the Ferrari GT programme instead bringing Hamilton along too since he's secretly a fan of Ferrari and this is his best opportunity to leave Mercedes.

Livery retains the 2020 sponsors as well as a red Ferrari horse in honour of Niki Lauda

2020_Formula_One_tests_Barcelona%2C_Mercedes-AMG_F1_W11_EQ_Performance%2C_Hamilton.jpg

You have beaten me to it, I was going for a Petronas something. Nice job, though, it looks gorgeous.

Audi Sport TT RS S1 E2

Thought I was in the Race Home thread for a second. I really need to do something other than Audi liveries. :D

Back