• 96 comments

Cytoria

Premium
France
France
Cytoria
B908692D-1433-44F2-B9D1-AF39AC98469F.jpeg

THIS FORTNIGHT'S THEME

This week, we’re going to dive into japanese motorsport culture. Last winner @Timebandit67 set this theme, here are the details :

«If you ask me which racing cars I like best, I answer: Gr.3, Gr.2, Formula 1 and DTM.

Who doesn't like to remember DTM racing cars like the Mercedes 190, Audi V8 or the Alfa 155 with the legendary V6 sound.

At the moment I am following Formula 1 and the DTM, even if I think it's a shame that Mercedes left the DTM in 2018. But then Aston Martin came along and at the season finale 3 brands from the Super GT (Honda NSX-GT, Nissan GT-R and Lexus LC500), who drove together with the DTM races in the finale in Fuji in November 2019.

That's when I became aware of the Super GT again. I like the Japanese GT cars and I'm also a fan of Jenson Button. I generally like what comes from Japan, be it clocks, cars, electronics or these gambling halls in Tokyo where everything flashes and lights up.»

SUPER-GT
Super GT (stylized as SUPER GT) is a grand touring car racing series that began in 1993. Originally titled as the Zen Nihon GT Senshuken generally referred to as either the JGTC or the All Japan Grand Touring Car Championship, the series was renamed to Super GT in 2005. It is the top level of sports car racing in Japan. The series is sanctioned by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) and run by the GT Association (GTA). Autobacs has served as the title sponsor of the series since 2005.

The JGTC (1993-2004)
The Japanese Grand Touring Championship was established in 1993 by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) via its subsidiary company the GTA (GT Association), replacing the defunct All Japan Sports Prototype Championship for Group C cars and the Japanese Touring Car Championship for Group A touring cars, which instead would adopt the supertouring formula. Seeking to prevent the spiraling budgets and one-team/make domination of both series, JGTC imposed strict limits on power, and heavy weight penalties on race winners in an openly stated objective to keep on-track action close with an emphasis on keeping fans happy.

Super GT (2005–present)
The JGTC had planned to hold a race during the 2005 season at the Shanghai International Circuit in China, in addition to the existing overseas round at Sepang in Malaysia. However, holding the series in more than two countries would have meant the JGTC would lose its status as a "national championship" under the International Sporting Code of the FIA, and therefore could not keep "Japanese Championship" in its name. The series would instead be classified as an "international championship" by the FIA, and would therefore require direct authorization from it, rather than the JAF.

Therefore, on December 10, 2004, it was announced that JGTC would be renamed "Super GT", with the goals of "challenge to the world", and "challenge to entertainment". However, despite the name change, Super GT has continued to only hold one overseas race per year; in theory, it could regain its status as a national championship and return to JAF jurisdiction.

In 2014, Super GT and the German touring car series DTM announced the creation of "Class One",which would unify GT500's and DTM's technical regulations, allowing manufacturers to race in both series with a single specification of car. After some delays, full unification of technical regulations is set for 2019.

First Race 2005
Okayama GT 300 km Race, Okayama International Circuit, March 27

Winners
GT300:
Mitsuhiro Kino****a (JP) & Masami Kageyama (JP)
Team #13 Endless Advan Z
GT500: Manabu Orido (JP) & Dominik Schwager (DE)
Team #25 Eclipse Advan Supra

The cars
The cars are divided into two groups; GT300 and GT500. The names of the categories derive from their traditional maximum horsepower limit - in the early years of the series, GT500 cars would have no more than 500 horsepower, GT300 cars would max out at around 300 hp. However, the current generation of GT500 powerplants produce in excess of 650 horsepower. Meanwhile, in present-day GT300, the horsepower range varies from around 400 to just over 550 horsepower; however, GT300 cars have far less downforce than their GT500 counterparts.

GT500 Specifications
Engine displacement: 2.0 L (122 cu in) DOHC inline-4
Gearbox: 6-speed paddle shift gearbox
Weight: Over 1,020 kg (2,249 lb) including driver and fuel
Power output: 650 hp (485 kW)
Fuel: 102 RON unleaded gasoline
Fuel capacity: 120 litres (32 US gallons; 26 imperial gallons)
Fuel delivery: Direct fuel injection
Aspiration: Single-turbocharged
Length: 5,010 mm (197 in) including rear wing
Width: 1,950 mm (77 in)
Wheelbase: 2,750 mm (108 in) fixed
Steering: Servo-assisted rack and pinion

GT300 Specifications
Engine displacement: Free
Aspiration: Naturally-aspirated and single or twin-turbocharged
Number of cylinders: Minimum 4 but not exceeding 10 cylinders
Allowed engine shape: Inline and V
Gearbox: 5 or 6-speed paddle shift gearbox
Power output: Various
Fuel: 102 RON unleaded gasoline
Fuel delivery: Free (direct and indirect injection)
Steering: Power-assisted rack and pinion

SUPER GT X DTM DREAM RACE November 2019
Motorsports is celebrating a world premiere: After years of strategic and technical preliminary work, the DTM and the Japanese SUPER GT series are holding a joint racing event. In two races over 55 minutes plus one lap - one each on Saturday and Sunday, the cars of the two touring car series compete against each other. For the DTM, a total of seven race cars will participate. In addition to DTM champions René Rast and Mike Rockenfeller, Audi also sends two former SUPER GT champions, the French duo Loïc Duval and Benoît Tréluyer, in the race. Two-time DTM champion Marco Wittmann and the two former Formula One drivers, motorsport legend Alex Zanardi and local hero Kamui Kobayashi will race for BMW.

CARS :
- Gr.2 or Gr.3 cars.

LIVERIES :
- Original creations only, no replicas allowed.

UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS :
- Gr.2 cars must wear GT500 numberplate (white)
- Gr.3 cars must wear GT300 numberplate (yellow)
- We DO know that some Gr.3 cars were GT500 at their time (looking at you McLaren F1), however the current BoP fits the GT300 more.
- Drivers’ names must be on the the roof OR in the GT Sport automatic position.
- Other series regulations/sponsors are not mandatory.
- Sport Mode compatibility is not mandatory.

BONUS PICTURE SETTINGS :
- Up to Two Bonus Pictures allowed.
- One picture must be taken at a japanese Super GT location (race photo or scapes).

USER MADE DECALS :
- No restrictions.

GENERAL COMPETITION RULES

ENTRY SUBMISSION

- The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here
- Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
- Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
Code:
[COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
- One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a competition.
- You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
- Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
- Absolutely no entries which utilize edited/hacked file saves.

- Winner gets to choose the following Fortnight's theme.
- Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
- The Host may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
- It's recommended to share the original livery online (in-game) to prove it’s your work.
- Winner, second and third places will have to share the links of the liveries for the Hall of Fame thread

ENTRY PRESENTATION

- All images shall have preview images which may not exceed 640 pixels in either direction (main and bonus pictures)
- You have to post two main pictures of your entry using the mandatory locations and settings as shown below
- You are allowed to post two bonus pictures in a spoiler with free location and settings (unless the unique restrictions of the week’s theme specify something else)
- You have to make one post with ONLY the 4 pictures and the FINAL ENTRY mark. If you want to add precisions/background story/links, you are allowed to double-post under your entry. The best way to do it will be to "reply" to your own post.

- It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr
- Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
- A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
- Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it; it makes poll creation much easier!
- No heavy post-game editing, slight enhancing is allowed.

MANDATORY PICTURES

- You have to post a front quarter view and a rear quarter view of your car.
- You can choose between the Shiretoko 03 location or the White Sands 01/09 locations. No other location will be allowed for the main pics.

If it's your first entry or if you struggle with the picture settings, have a look at the tutorials below :
WHITE SANDS 1

WHITE SANDS 9

SHIRETOKO 3

- If you choose the Shiretoko location, please follow the settings in the spoiler below.
Car:
Detailed Settings:
- Key Lights: Off

Camera:

EV: +0.5

Effects:
Temperature: 9500 K

Screen Effects 1:
Mask: Background
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
- Saturation: 0
- Brightness: 500
- Contrast: 150 (This is key to controlling how light/dark the under-car shadow will appear)

Car Effects:
Individual Colour Tone Correction:
- Saturation: 125
- Brightness: 125
(Adjust these figures to suit the colour of the car)

- If you choose the White Sands 01/09 location, please follow the settings in the spoiler below.
Zoom: around 90mm at stock position
Aperture: f/32
Exposure Correction: +1.0
Shutter Speed: 1/1
Single AF on the A-pillar/mirror

Temperature: 6500
Color Cast Correction: 0.025

Screen Effect: Background Mask
Individual Correction:
Saturation: 100%
Brightness: 500
Contrast: 250
Highlight: 0

Car Effects:
Brightness 120

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.

DEADLINE :

September 2nd, 2020 (23:59, CEST/GMT+1)

(Back to our usual two-weeks period)

No replicas you say...

Brb just going to delete some modified NSX photos 🤬:lol:
@Timebandit67 was about to allow them, but at this point of the game, we thought it would be unfair to compare some who were specialized on Super GT replicas and others who barely know the details of this discipline (just like in the N24/VLN competition).

Drivers’ names, are these our default psn name or actual drivers names like the below?
BMW_Z4_GT3_%28Studie%29_drivers_names_2014_Super_GT_Suzuka.jpg
Both are allowed.

@Timebandit67 was about to allow them, but at this point of the game, we thought it would be unfair to compare some who were specialized on Super GT replicas and others who barely know the details of this discipline (just like in the N24/VLN competition).

Both are allowed.

*Sobs*

Anything else goes then, yeah?
Once it has the correct numbers?

I really like when originality is mandatory. I think that being bombarded by replicas on the game and on the GT site has really made me tired of them.

Last edited:
I like this round.
Are updated/modernised versions of old cars allowed if they no longer run in said series? I.e. Castro’s Supra, Pennzoil GTR etc....

Please excuse the double post as I've just been introduced to something that requires me to state that my design is NOT a replica and I didn't know EVA Racing existed.

Mind Blown!

To quote Reddit:

GET IN THE ****ING NISSAN SHINJI

FINAL ENTRY

I did it, it was a bit rushed, but that made it a nice challenge. I chose to do a Tamiya-Livery because that's one of my favourite japanese brands and I wanted to keep it as japanese as possible. I wanted the design to look a bit oldschool to match the rather classic font of the logo. I never watched the Super GT series, so I don't know if I did it completely right, but it should be ok ;)

Download Livery

So went along with the 2020 NSX with the bonnet air vents, side skirts and exhaust exit on the right hand side, while I was adding the numebrboards and putting in the sponsors of the 2020 NSX I thought I'd use a Japanese drink company instead of Redbull, Pocari Sweat(in english and Japanese) jumped straight to mind! as well as Nick Cassidy as the other driver(should really be in F1...) with a "holographic" colourshift base, white geometric pattern all canards are Carbon Kevlar with blue edging, the white shape on the sides and back actually have a double blue and black stroke/outline, this is the result!

Last edited:
So went along with the 2020 NSX with the bonnet air vents, side skirts and exhaust exit on the right hand side, while I was adding the numebrboards and putting in the sponsors of the 2020 NSX I thought I'd use a Japanese drink company instead of Redbull, Pocari Sweat(in english and Japanese) jumped straight to mind! as well as Nick Cassidy as the other driver(should really be in F1...) with a "holographic" colourshift base, white geometric pattern all canards are Carbon Kevlar with blue edging, the white shape on the sides and back actually have a double blue and black stroke/outline, this is the result!

I had thought about inverting the Red Bull Mugen I have with white over Chrome Blue and I’m kind of glad I didn’t now because this is fire.

An edited version of a livery I posted a while ago. Main changes include the fact that I'm no longer driving, and the change to more appropriate Yokohama tires. Sadly it's not sport mode compatible because of the poor placing of the number board on the hood of this car.

FINAL ENTRY
GT7 Qualcomm Supra GT300

Livery Link
With this livery I wanted to create another one of Kazunori Yamauchi's adventures in the racing scene. Having competed in the N24 multiple times before, his next challenge is the Super GT series, specifically the GT300 class.

The machinery chosen for this year is none other than the Toyota Supra GT3, ran by the official Toyota Gazoo Racing team. Kaz will drive together with Robert Kubica, former Toyota F1 driver.

Due to the existing partnership between Gran Turismo and Toyota, this is the only combination that makes sense. Moreover, this livery has as its main sponsor the newest game of the franchise, GT7, together with the renowned chipset company Qualcomm.

Last edited:
I originally envisioned this livery as a GT500 since at Max Power/Min Weight it can keep up with Gr.2s and looks good along with the Epson and Xanavi, but slapped on a few GT300 numberplates for this contest. It's a factory Mazda team, with Motul as the title sponsor. The shapes above the real headlights are my attempt at creating unique headlights, since I didn't like the originals much. I tried to get the decal placement and sponsors as close to the real thing as possible, and I'm overall quite happy with the design. I've also recorded a timelapse+tune+cinematic montage of this car, will be uploaded this Saturday on my YouTube channel, so check that out if you're interested!

I just hope I can finish my entry in time. Not feeling particularly creative this time around and those weird surfaces on the SuperGT cars are really annoying.

Realistic sponsor placement (and quantity) is an art and you have mastered it.
Thanks a lot! I’ve looked at a lot of Super GT cars to get the exact look I wanted, and gathered a list of common Super GT sponsors/placements, apart from some custom ones (Gran Turismo and Thrustmaster). I’m glad it’s come to an effect!

Back