The Hooncorp Thread

• Thread starter Nismonath5
  • 237 comments
The next event on the NZ Lemons calendar is another new format for Hooncorp.

Yes, while we are already preparing for the big one, the full 24 hour in May (And you can still join in if you like!), there is one more event on the calendar before then..

A 12 hour race held over two days, the point of difference here will be the venue. For the first time in our Lemons history, we depart from the Mighty Waikato and the Hampton Downs track where our 3 NZ Lemons encounters have so far been held.

We are meeting at the Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park (Yes McLaren as in the founder of the famous F1 team) in Taupo.
This is in the Central North Island of this beautiful country, and a brilliant warm up for the upcoming Motorsport Mt Everest which is the May Non stop full 24hour race.

Here's a map of the track, note just how much more technical it is than Hampton Downs!!

1200px-Taupo_Motorsports_Park.svg.png

At this stage we will be taking two all-new racecars to the track, along with the Commodore, of course! More details about these two new cars coming within the week!

Introducing the new cars in the Hooncorp stable!!

First up is a Nissan Lucino.

20190116_122432.jpg

20190116_122446.jpg
20190116_122550.jpg

Essentially a 2 door sedan version of the Pulsar, it packs the same SR20 + 5 speed manual setup found in our Pulsar, but minus all the special Autech go-faster bits. Ironically, this is our oldest project, having bought it back sometime around 2011-2013, but it's still never been completed, or even done more than two test laps of Pukekohe Park! Well, now's it's time to shine as we get it ready for Taupo!!

And the next car in the garage will be our first Lime.

What's a Lime, you ask? Well, Lemons are cars initially valued at $1k or less. Naturally, people want to stretch that budget rule, build faster cars, and generally dominate the grid! Well, rather than let them dominate the "true" Lemons in the field, they now have their own class: Limes! (aka Cheater Cars)

And here's our Lime. An EG Honda Civic.

20190116_122504.jpg
20190116_122513.jpg
20190116_122521.jpg

This isn't actually our car, but it has been provided to us by a very generous individual, for us to prep and race at Taupo. It features an Integra motor and box, as well as being pretty much ready to race, there's only a few bits and bobs we need to do such as harnesses, kill switch and an extinguisher.

These two, alongside the Commodore, are our team for the Taupo 12-hour!

And speaking of the Commodore...

20190116_113934.jpg
20190116_114112.jpg

Its rather primitive front bar with a bumper cable-tied on has been replaced with an actual front end!!! Still needs paint and a couple of finishing touches on that front, but even now I'd say it looks much better, almost like a normal car!

Nice little GT Planet sticker on the bonnet, ;)

I better make a GT6 CHALLENGE HUB sticker hay! :lol:
Why not :D
If I learned how to use the GTS decal uploader I could make GT6CH decals and use them to make a GT6CH livery

I can join team?

I have lot of drive skills:
- ability to put the elbow to the door while driving
- ability to extend the arm to retract mirrors before the straight line (and increase speed)
- I can stay 1 min without blinking (all senses awake)

... and engineering capacities:
- possibility of increase engine power with a flame decal
- possibility of adding headlights at the back (full light at night, no one sees, no ones passes)

So, now that you have seen my great abilities, where do I sign? when I come? where are the girls? does the team know that I'm the # 1 driver?
Some questions need answers.

Of course, as a pro driver, I will come with my full outfit:
- armbands and my duck buoy for rainy weather
- my competition flip-flops
- a cap autographed by the cousin of Schumacher's father's sister's uncle

Waiting an answer

:P

Seriously good job, looks like a good human adventure...

Last edited:
Looks like your going to be having a lot of fun. I've long wanted to do a 24 hour race and Taupo is my favourite track I've raced on, and that civic should be awesome through the tight stuff. Is it Taupo for the 24 hour race as well or is that just the 12 hour?

Preparing 3 cars sure sounds like you will be busy. Do the three cars make up three separate teams? How many drivers are in a team (more thinking for the continues 24 hours)

Last edited:
I can join team?

I have lot of drive skills:
- ability to put the elbow to the door while driving
- ability to extend the arm to retract mirrors before the straight line (and increase speed)
- I can stay 1 min without blinking (all senses awake)

... and engineering capacities:
- possibility of increase engine power with a flame decal
- possibility of adding headlights at the back (full light at night, no one sees, no ones passes)

So, now that you have seen my great abilities, where do I sign? when I come? where are the girls? does the team know that I'm the # 1 driver?
Some questions need answers.

Of course, as a pro driver, I will come with my full outfit:
- armbands and my duck buoy for rainy weather
- my competition flip-flops
- a cap autographed by the cousin of Schumacher's father's sister's uncle

Waiting an answer

:P

Seriously good job, looks like a good human adventure...
I've pm'd you :D

Looks like your going to be having a lot of fun. I've long wanted to do a 24 hour race and Taupo is my favourite track I've raced on, and that civic should be awesome through the tight stuff. Is it Taupo for the 24 hour race as well or is that just the 12 hour?

Preparing 3 cars sure sounds like you will be busy. Do the three cars make up three separate teams? How many drivers are in a team (more thinking for the continues 24 hours)
Taupo will only be a 12 hour format. Like the real life LeMans there is only one true 24 Hour race a year. The rest are either 24 hours split over the course of a weekend, or totally different formats such as the Taupo 12hr.

Three cars will indeed be counted as three separate teams, but we'll simply name them Hooncorp #1, Hooncorp #2, Hooncorp #3 so even though as far as the race is concerned they are individual teams, they will in fact be one. For most 24hr Lemon events each team needs five drivers minimum, but for the 12hr we only need three.

We also opt to have a backup driver present in case of emergency, and they also get to help out with the seat time!

I get excited every time this subject comes up. Good luck gents! 3 cars sounds like a big operation. 👍

As in the past, I must make my plea: if anyone is interested in doing this in the mid-west US area let me know!!! :cheers:

If I could afford to, I would drop you a line. Sadly I have other commitments to my finances this year. Maybe if it is on again next year...

And can convince the missus....

The Lucino needed an electrical kill switch installed. So the team decided to, while I was at work, make one. But rather than your usual switch, they crafted a system that combines the kill switch with the ignition!

It's creativeness like this that Lemons officials like! As the saying goes, "it ain't stupid if it works!"

(Also apologies for vertical filming. Very impromptu clip.)

I know we already announced the Civic here on GTP, but our Facebook and YouTube audiences hadn't seen anything yet. So here's the official reveal video!

3 days to go before Taupo, and here's where things get fun!

We're at the Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park, and one thing is perfectly clear. This is going to be a wet race. It's overcast, it's damp, and it's only forecast to get worse.

Still, that suits us, as it means the frontrunners will be slower as a result. We dont typically seem to slow down in the wet, so we should have a good crack at a solid finish!

20190223_070732.jpg
20190223_091525.jpg
20190223_073222.jpg

We're at the Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park, and one thing is perfectly clear. This is going to be a wet race. It's overcast, it's damp, and it's only forecast to get worse.

Still, that suits us, as it means the frontrunners will be slower as a result. We dont typically seem to slow down in the wet, so we should have a good crack at a solid finish!

View attachment 801504 View attachment 801505 View attachment 801506
Stay safe out there & bring it home.

Day one of the BadThurst 12hr is done!! The Commodore is currently 16th and the Lucino is 19th.

Had a few issues to sort out overnight on both cars, namely brake replacements and a few transponder issues with the Lucino, but both were relatively straightforward fixes!

It's currently 6:30am, racing kicks off again in an hour, and we're doing 8 hours today!

Day two concluded, and what a weekend!!! Some highs, some lows, a couple of tragedies, and somehow we managed to see three Hooncorp cars cross the line despite only starting two..? :boggled: ;)

Official results are TBC but we will know where we stand tonight. Stay tuned for all the info!

Details, pics and vids on the way, but for now I'm going to take a day or two to sleep and have some R'n'R.
20190224_173918.jpg
20190224_173839.jpg
20190224_171259.jpg

So Nath, Having now driven the Lucino in anger, what are your thoughts on the car?
Um, about that... Earlier I said we began the race with two cars and finished three. Let me explain.

We started the race with the Commodore and the Lucino, with an old VN ute there as the Commy's spares package, and the Pulsar there as the Lucino's spares. The higher ups at Lemons asked us to start the Pulsar in the race for the sake of adding an extra car to the starting grid. It would mean they can say that 30 cars started instead of 29. So we agreed to put the Pulsar on the grid, start the race, do a few laps then retire it quietly and park it up.

Because of it's outing on the track, the Pulsar was required to have it's own transponder and pit radio, so as far as the officials were concerned, Hooncorp had three cars entered into the race.

Halfway through the second day (And just before I was due to climb in, having swapped my next stint in the Commodore with Louie who was actually next in line for the Lucino), the Lucino met it's untimely demise while following the safety car. There are a number of theories that will not be confirmed until we pull the motor out and have a look. Maybe the water pump failed. Maybe under safety car it wasn't getting enough airflow. Either way, the motor roasted and she came to a grinding halt at the end of the front straight.

20190224_120039.jpg

With 5-ish hours to go, we opted to wait for it to cool and see if we could do anything to patch it up and get it across the line. But before we went butchering the Pulsar for parts, we had an idea. Instead of fix it, we instead opted to wait until the last lap call was made, then use the Pulsar to tow the Lucino over the control line, meaning it still finished the race.

In the meantime, the Lucino drivers (@Louie_Schumii included) got a taste of the Commodore for their final stints, and when the call was finally made, we put our plan into action.

IMG_20190224_165128.jpg

Not exactly how we planned to finish the race, but we still finished!!! Anyways, I didn't end up driving the Lucino. But no worries, we can fix it, even if we chuck a new motor in it (There's a much more powerful one waiting for another build that might be suitable for the Lucino instead...), so you can guarantee that the GTPlanet x Hooncorp Nissan Lucino will be back for the 24 hour in May!!!

Full race report, pics and vids still coming!

One of our sponsors for the Taupo 12hr was Professional Tyres and Automotive. Thing is, Lemons judge Nik Brown has a problem with "Professional" and "Lemons" being in the same place. We rectified the issue, and here's Nik's apology (almost?) to Dave from Professional Tyres and Automotive.

The wrap up from Day One's events!

Official results are out (better late than never), and with 30 cars starting the race, the Commodore came 14th, the Lucino 20th and the Pulsar 21st!!

Once again, the Commodore manages to finish in the upper half of the field, and as mentioned a few posts up, the Nissans employed some unique tactics to ensure they both finished!

Lucino was sweet. It's like a friendly dog that invites you to push a little bit more on the next lap with the knowledge that she won't bite if you go a little bit over what she's capable of in terms of handling. Great car to jump into out of the box.

Commodore feels like what you'd expect from a long wheelbase RWD V8. Really rewarding when you get things right but it can and will punish you if you get a downshift a little wrong or you ask of too much from the tires.

All in all a good shakedown weekend for the 24. What I wasn't expecting is how fun it was in the Hooncorp shed hanging out with LeMons drivers and crew while working on the cars. Hard work but a good time + it instills some good habits doing the series (personally making sure that you've done all you can for the cars before taking them out on the circuit, keeping a lighthearted but safety minded attitude in an otherwise extremely serious sport). Looking forward to seeing some more local and international GTP members soon!

Back