The Trump Impeachment Thread

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 2,103 comments

Will the current Articles of Impeachment ever be sent from the House to the Senate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they're going to impeach, they should just impeach and then show the evidence that he committed a crime and be done with it. The difference compared to Richard Nixon is that with Nixon there was clear evidence of a crime.

And how exactly did they come to possess this clear evidence against Nixon? Though an impeachment inquiry? 💡

And how exactly did they come to possess this clear evidence against Nixon? Though an impeachment inquiry? 💡
As I recall, a secret informer in the FBI, "Deep Throat", gave evidence to reporters who published it. But my memory is fuzzy on this one.

As I recall, a secret informer in the FBI, "Deep Throat", gave evidence to reporters who published it. But my memory is fuzzy on this one.

If the exact same thing happened now to Trump. Trump and his supporters would have called for his identity, hearsay, a deep state operative, politically biased, a hoax etc.

If the exact same thing happened now to Trump. Trump and his supporters would have called for his identity, hearsay, a deep state operative, politically biased, a hoax etc.

You should read up on Watergate and how Nixon acted during the investigation.

Check, check, check, check and check.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/it-took-a-long-time-for-republicans-to-abandon-nixon/

atd-NIXON-IMPEACHMENT-1011-1.png

As I recall, they got their hands on a tape where Nixon was recorded directing someone to commit obstruction of justice.

As I recall, they got their hands on a tape where Nixon was recorded directing someone to commit obstruction of justice.

Yes, "they" being the House Judiciary Committee who had officially initiated an investigation almost six months before Nixon finally turned over this so-called "Smoking Gun" tape. He only did so because the Supreme Court ordered him to, which only happened because there was an official House investigation requesting it.

I empathize ... but that's what that newfangled interweb thingy is there for! ;)
A concept presumably not lost on him, what with a not insignificant number of his posts containing wholesale copypasta (which is to say including things like superfluous images with complete captions, hyperlinked annotations and formatting that the forum can't reproduce; large gaps in formatting seem to indicate that even ads were included in the copy). One post*, as of witing this, even contains a text-only header graphic as an attachment...for some reason. Heaven forbid a little more effort be put into making it a little easier to read here, as well as focusing on pertinent bits, while still providing a link to the external source.

So one wonders why that response was so limited and completely disregarded the extensive efforts in Congress to acquire additional evidence.

20191118_075238.png
image-png.865107

Yes, "they" being the House Judiciary Committee who had officially initiated an investigation almost six months before Nixon finally turned over this so-called "Smoking Gun" tape. He only did so because the Supreme Court ordered him to, which only happened because there was an official House investigation requesting it.
After repeated disregarded subpoenas from the HJC, who weren't content with the incomplete transcript of audio recordings. Sounds familiar.

Not the point I was making. I was trying to refer how polarised the opinion is compared to previous impeachment incidents.

The great bulk of young men in America seethed hatred with toward Nixon. This was basically because over 50,000 of us were conscripted to die in Vietnam.

Last edited:
Not the point I was making.
It was a joke. That's why I placed Johnson ahead of Clinton and only qualified the latter with "of course", as if to say "obviously there was no Twitter during Clinton's time in office".

Having said that...

I was trying to refer how polarised the opinion is compared to previous impeachment incidents.
Saying only Trump has a Twitter account doesn't actually do that. If you're going to allege something to that effect, you need to actually substantiate it.

Seethed with what?
Chihuahuas.

It was a joke. That's why I placed Johnson ahead of Clinton and only qualified the latter with "of course", as if to say "obviously there was no Twitter during Clinton's time in office".

Having said that...

Saying only Trump has a Twitter account doesn't actually do that. If you're going to allege something to that effect, you need to actually substantiate it.

Chihuahuas.

The media were more regarded as objective. Now you have much more extreme politicised outlets, because of internet and social media. Also Trump has a substanital 66 million followers. I am only rationalising how the republicans can be almost so unanimously in support of trump.

I get America needs a Republican President. It’s in the name, a REPUBLIC
But the issue with Donald Trump is he’s destroying the reputation of the Republicans with his own bare hands. That’s why there’s virtually no Republican Presidential Candidates, mostly Democrats
Correct me if I’m wrong, though
But anyway, the point I’m making is where is he gonna go afterwards and who’s going to take over?

With the way he has “ruled” the country (I refuse to call his term as president anything less than an Adolf Hitler-esque Dictatorship), there’s a risk he’ll be a dead man walking. Everyone will be hunting for him... if he doesn’t get done for Tax Evasion and Sexual Assault first

And although Joe Biden is the leading candidate for the Democrats, do we really want someone who’s wrapped up in a sexual harassment scandal? His only real advantage is he used to be Vice-President back when Obama was in charge, but that doesn’t make him any better a leader. Michael Bloomberg is another example: Just because you’re a wealthy businessman with lots of “connections” doesn’t make you any better at running a country.

Is there even a win in this scenario? I’m not sure

Joe Biden has decades of political experience. Trump isn't a Republican he's a businessman. He's using the word Republican to fight a nonsensical political war. It's only been the last century or so I think where the terms Democrat and Republican started being associated with good and bad, respectively. There's no good or bad, they're both on the theoretical level, equally valid view points. It's how they get twisted that's what's happening.

Joe Biden has decades of political experience. Trump isn't a Republican he's a businessman. He's using the word Republican to fight a nonsensical political war. It's only been the last century or so I think where the terms Democrat and Republican started being associated with good and bad, respectively. There's no good or bad, they're both on the theoretical level, equally valid view points. It's how they get twisted that's what's happening.

one party is the party of bad ideas, the other party is the party of no ideas.....

Right, the things they do in practice are bad. But the theory behind the two parties is that they both should have different viewpoints that create the greater good for the people, just in different ways. I should mention I'm an idealist.

I get America needs a Republican President. It’s in the name, a REPUBLIC
But the issue with Donald Trump is he’s destroying the reputation of the Republicans with his own bare hands. That’s why there’s virtually no Republican Presidential Candidates, mostly Democrats
Correct me if I’m wrong, though
But anyway, the point I’m making is where is he gonna go afterwards and who’s going to take over?

The Republican party does not have sole claim to the idea of a Republic. In fact, our system of government is often called a Democratic-Republic. Leftist as some of them may be, I don't think I've seen any Democrats suggest that we change the format of our Government...

There are no Republican Candidates because it is assumed that Trump will be the candidate. That's usually how it works with very popular incumbents.

It's up to Trump where he goes after. I doubt he would be prosecuted even if he were impeached and removed because it would do more harm than good. I imagine he will go to Florida and maybe host another reality TV show.

He may just resign and cite some ambiguous health concern. It's the easiest way out for a guy who's self preservation instincts are absolutely incredible.

The great bulk of young men in America seethed hatred with toward Nixon. This was basically because over 50,000 of us were conscripted to die in Vietnam.

Why isn't a comparable level of vitriol about Vietnam levied towards Kennedy or Johnson?

Why isn't a comparable level of vitriol about Vietnam levied towards Kennedy or Johnson?
The overwhelming bulk of the men killed were under Nixon's administration(s). But yes, Kennedy and Johnson have blood on their hands, too.

It works like this. If you're a democrat, you're not responsible for war. So for example Obama is not responsible for war because "Bush Jr. started it". Similarly, Kennedy and Johnson are not responsible for Vietnam because "Nixon ended it". It all depends on which political party you're part of.

This is another reason why Nixon "gets a bad rap..." (All his talk of peace while expanding the war into Cambodia). https://www.history.com/this-day-in...s-start-of-christmas-bombing-of-north-vietnam

A lot of people in South Vietnam were pissed at the United States too for basically abandoning them, especially after North Vietnam broke the peace agreement signed in 1973.

That being said, an investigation doesn't prove nor imply guilt. It just means there is an investigation. Trump isn't Nixon despite what a lot of smug liberals want to think.

Latest Posts

Back