Junior Formula. Discussion of F2, F3, F4, Formula Renault, TRS, W-Series, Indy Lights, etcOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 604 comments
Is it normal for GP2 and other top tier junior series to have their grids registered so late?
The GP2 season doesn't usually start until the Spanish Grand Prix. I can't speak for Formula V8 3.5, but I do know that it runs as a support series as well, so I would expect that it has a late start, too.

http://www.motorsport.com/gp2/news/gp2-unveils-2017-calendar-adds-jerez-869007/

14-16 April
bahrain-2.jpg
Bahrain
12-14 May
spain-2.jpg
Catalunya (alongside GP3)
25-27 May
monaco-2.jpg
Monaco
23-25 June
azerbaijan-2.jpg
Baku
7-9 July
austria-2.jpg
Red Bull Ring (alongside GP3)
14-16 July
united_kingdom-2.jpg
Silverstone (alongside GP3)
28-30 July
hungary-2.jpg
Hungaroring (alongside GP3)
25-27 August
belgium-2.jpg
Spa (alongside GP3)
1-3 September
italy-2.jpg
Monza (alongside GP3)
6-8 October
spain-2.jpg
Jerez (alongside GP3)
24-26 November
united_arab_emirates-2.jpg
Abu Dhabi (alongside GP3)

GP2 is tipped to become Formula 2 as soon as this season. When Liberty Media acquired a stake in Formula One, they also got the rights to GP2 and GP3. Turning GP2 into Formula 2 has been discussed for a while now, but with Ecclestone gone, progress has happened quickly when it looked like drying up.

Jordan King signs for Daniel De Jong GP2 alongside Sette Camara so the joke doesn't work anymore... (MP Motorsport)

Does GP2 change chassis that often or are they same as last year? I like that they didn't continue F1s nose trend

They haven't changed chassis since 2011.
But they are scheduled to change for 2018. The chassis is supposed to be on a three-year cycle, but the series chose to keep the current chassis for six years because the drivers like it and it keeps costs down.

If you have a way, I recommend checking out the final round of TRS from Manfield. All three races were really good, and it had a nail biting finish to the championship that included a pretty epic drive. Worth watching if you can find it.

Surely the next step of the plan is to kill off GP3, right?
There hasn't been any indication that the FIA plan to do that. The original plan was to start a series of Formula 3 championships across Asia and the Americas like the Euroseries, but nothing has come of it. I'd say it's far more likely that the Euroseries will be phased out or rebranded and GP3 reimagined as Formula 3. It's on the Formula One support bill, uses the same tyres and aerodynamic principles as Formula One and uses turbo engines. It's got a lot going for it at a time when the Euroseries is struggling for grid numbers.

GP3 and Formula 3 could merge from 2019:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128490/gp3-and-european-f3-could-merge-in-2019

It makes sense, since both series are struggling for numbers. GP3 is expensive, while teams are deterred from entering the current Formula 3 because a handful of teams dominate. By merging the two and putting them on the Formula One support bill, it would give the series prestige and affordability. If they follow the MotoGP model and make each series a World Championship in its own right, it could guarantee the futures of each category. MotoGP do it, and "World Championship" status worked wonders for rallycross.

I think it would be great to have more of the junior series on the F1 weekends. It amazes me how little the average F1 fan knows about the up and coming guys, compared to say what a MotoGP fan knows of the Moto2 and Moto3 guys. I'd bet majority of people didn't know who Stroll was before he was announced by Williams.

I think it would be great to have more of the junior series on the F1 weekends. It amazes me how little the average F1 fan knows about the up and coming guys, compared to say what a MotoGP fan knows of the Moto2 and Moto3 guys. I'd bet majority of people didn't know who Stroll was before he was announced by Williams.
It helps massively that Dorna has them all Packaged into the same TV Coverage, it would be a bit harder with F1 as the race is much longer but you could probably fit atleast one in.

I do have one concern though and some of you may agree to this.

the problem atm is some of the drivers in F1 skipped so much of the progress ladder......(Max Verstappen a prime example). which is very important to learn the racing craft of slicks and wings and power.......and the teams are more interested in cash first, then talent.

I do have one concern though and some of you may agree to this.

the problem atm is some of the drivers in F1 skipped so much of the progress ladder......(Max Verstappen a prime example). which is very important to learn the racing craft of slicks and wings and power.......and the teams are more interested in cash first, then talent.

First off another Max Verstappen can never happen due to age restrictions. Second there is the fact of FIA license points that need to be gathered, which also didn't kick in when Verstappen stepped up. Or at least the more dramatic change we've seen in the past year. These guys that do get promoted usually get plenty of hours in an F1 car along with their collective points in the junior series, so they end up fulfilling the requirements needed to race. If that means not going to GP2 so be it.

However, you'd be hard pressed to find to many people that agree with you on the drivers who skipped GP2 to join F1 being ready or capable. The only one I can think of right now (and you still have to wait) is the new Williams driver, Lance Stroll.

Second there is the fact of FIA license points that need to be gathered, which also didn't kick in when Verstappen stepped up.
And the way the licence points system works means that ultra-talented drivers will quickly rise through the ranks. They won't be forced to spend several seasons in feeder series for the sake of it. Likewise, uncompetitive drivers who shouldn't be in Formula One will be held up in the junior categories.

First off another Max Verstappen can never happen due to age restrictions. Second there is the fact of FIA license points that need to be gathered, which also didn't kick in when Verstappen stepped up. Or at least the more dramatic change we've seen in the past year. These guys that do get promoted usually get plenty of hours in an F1 car along with their collective points in the junior series, so they end up fulfilling the requirements needed to race. If that means not going to GP2 so be it.

However, you'd be hard pressed to find to many people that agree with you on the drivers who skipped GP2 to join F1 being ready or capable. The only one I can think of right now (and you still have to wait) is the new Williams driver, Lance Stroll.

after karting he did only a season with a Formula 3 car (and finished 3rd), afew testing yes....but still testing is one thing, race craft is something you have to learn and by doing that is to do a lot more motor racing. I feel the Super licence is not doing what it should be doing properly. cos some drivers who are possibly better than max are not having the chance to race in F1 is due to either name or money. which is why I feel drivers in the lower categorys are moving away from single seaters and heading towards GT and specially prototype racing (LMP2 and LMP3).

I will say this right now, Max wont be able to get away with a slap this year. he will get points on his licence and he will get a race suspension for his actions.

Looking at the F3 entry list released for this season with just 20 cars I can see the GP3 merger coming soon. Whatever it is needs proper coverage on F1 weekends (without hours between races). I like that Liberty are trying to copy the MotoGP model, maybe that will one day that will even mean F2 and (new) F3 in the F1 games.

The MotoGP model works because the winners of Moto2 and Moto3 are recognised as World Champions in their own right. Success is an accomplishment in and if itself, not simply a means to an end.

after karting he did only a season with a Formula 3 car (and finished 3rd), afew testing yes....but still testing is one thing, race craft is something you have to learn and by doing that is to do a lot more motor racing. I feel the Super licence is not doing what it should be doing properly. cos some drivers who are possibly better than max are not having the chance to race in F1 is due to either name or money. which is why I feel drivers in the lower categorys are moving away from single seaters and heading towards GT and specially prototype racing (LMP2 and LMP3).

I will say this right now, Max wont be able to get away with a slap this year. he will get points on his licence and he will get a race suspension for his actions.

First off can you use proper English, it's one of the first things you agree too when joining the site.

Second Max was part of the red bull racing program, thus along with doing junior series he tested as pointed out and ran tons of simulation. He is probably more developed than your average junior driver in the same level. And this isn't the 90s and late 80s where you need time in junior levels as well as other racing series to get promoted. F1 and development of future drivers is so more advanced now that these drivers can make such a leap and actually drive with decent to great success, Max proved this Kvyat proves this Magnussen has as well (though arguably he racing in 3.5 during a time where it was rated better than GP2).

Also you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about Max, which seems to be why you're so biased against these drivers just because of one driver. It's ironic you say this, because according to Pat Symonds the new rules are due to how easy Max made the cars look compared to seasoned drivers. If true, this actually proves you quite wrong. I have not seen a large influx of drivers moving from single seats.

Also as I said, you can't compare the current FIA super-license regs to what the regs were when Max was racing GP3. They are not the same thus make your issues with it moot.

The new superlicence regulations were introduced to consolidate the feeder series, simply because there was no clear path to Formula One and talented drivers were missing out because they chose the wrong series at the wrong time. Kevin Korjus springs to mind as someone who could have made it, but committed to Formula Renault when GP2 was the place to be.

The best thing about if we do get F3 and F2 put together with F1 like MotoGP is we can have Drivers starting professionally from F3 on wards as the series will have Signifcantly more TV revenue being packaged with F1 so the teams can actually pay drivers rather then the other way around.

It would be significant in removing the Paydriver problem.

What Liberty are looking to do with the Junior series isn't just copying Dorna...it's how AMA Supercross and Outdoor Nationals work as well. In SuperCross, the 250 main is immediately before the 450 main, so the riders and sponsors of the development series get the Spotlight the same way the big guys do. NASCAR isn't too too different either, with the way the 2 series run parallel with each other for much of the season.

What Liberty are looking to do with the Junior series isn't just copying Dorna...it's how AMA Supercross and Outdoor Nationals work as well. In SuperCross, the 250 main is immediately before the 450 main, so the riders and sponsors of the development series get the Spotlight the same way the big guys do. NASCAR isn't too too different either, with the way the 2 series run parallel with each other for much of the season.
V8 Supercars is the same as well, if anything F1 is the odd one out.

Back