Junior Formula. Discussion of F2, F3, F4, Formula Renault, TRS, W-Series, Indy Lights, etcOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 604 comments
Oh right, let's not make any effort to improve the aero package, let's just take the cheap option and consider the problem solved. :rolleyes:

Oh right, let's not make any effort to improve the aero package, let's just take the cheap option and consider the problem solved. :rolleyes:
It's incredibly expensive to redesign the entire chassis. How on earth are teams supposed to be able to run the cars if it costs too much? How are drivers supposed to be able to get experience if they can't afford a seat?

How is a lower cost a bad thing?

Also, wasn't the car new for this year? I'd be surprised if the teams would be interested in any major changes to the car for a few years.

It's incredibly expensive to redesign the entire chassis. How on earth are teams supposed to be able to run the cars if it costs too much? How are drivers supposed to be able to get experience if they can't afford a seat?

How is a lower cost a bad thing?

Also, wasn't the car new for this year? I'd be surprised if the teams would be interested in any major changes to the car for a few years.
Not "cheap" as in "lower cost", but "cheap" as in "lazy and unimaginative".

I hope this sets an example for the future though - best not to waste money in the first place on an aero kit that doesn't work in dirty air.

I think GP3 should have looked at introducing pit stops first, which would also have meant bringing in softer tyres. It is a bit of a shame, but given how the racing has been I will definitely give it a chance!!!

So Next year Euro F3 will have the likes of Mick Schumacher and British Talent Lando Norris.

Given their records I think both will make it to F1, allthough I rank Norris much higher potential wise (he will probably be in F1 in 2018 after he turns 18).

So Next year Euro F3 will have the likes of Mick Schumacher and British Talent Lando Norris.

Given their records I think both will make it to F1, allthough I rank Norris much higher potential wise (he will probably be in F1 in 2018 after he turns 18).
I'm quite looking forward to seeing Mick vs Lando....although I agree with you, I think Lando will probably come out on top. Could depend on Prema though, if they are as strong as they were this year, they could be tough to beat. Any word on who Norris is driving for next yet?

And anyone know if Joey Mawson found a seat for next year. You'd think he'd be in F3, same as the guy he beat this year.....

Carlin.

Nothing yet.
Hopefully Carlin steps their game up, otherwise they'll get wiped out by Prema's avalanche of green-backs.

Thinking about it, I could see Stroll continuing to throw stupid amounts of money at the team in 2017, as I think the idea of powering a Schumacher to an FIA world championship has a certain appeal to it.

Have the other Prema drivers been announced yet? Specifically, is Max Gunther returning to Prema? If yes, it'll be interesting to see him and Mick battle it out.

Hopefully Carlin steps their game up, otherwise they'll get wiped out by Prema's avalanche of green-backs.
They've got Jehan Daruvala - who won Force India's "One In A Billion" programme - and Ferdinand Habsburg alongside Norris. All three regularly went wheel-to-wheel in last year's Toyota Racing Series.

Have the other Prema drivers been announced yet?
Callum Illot and Guanyu Zhou. The fourth seat is still free. Illot is a Red Bull junior driver and Zhou has been picked up by Ferrari.

Im Surprised Redbull hasn't picked up any of these young talents, their Junior programs drivers after Gasly don't really look spectacular potential wise(except for Verschoor) and there is a big gap in experience as well.
The whole point of the YDP is to prepare drivers for Formula One. They've already got Ricciardo, Verstappen, Sainz and Gasly, so barring an unprecedented catastrophe, they're set for the next few years. Why would they then focus on drivers in the second and third tiers of the sport when there won't be a drive available for years?

The whole point of the YDP is to prepare drivers for Formula One. They've already got Ricciardo, Verstappen, Sainz and Gasly, so barring an unprecedented catastrophe, they're set for the next few years. Why would they then focus on drivers in the second and third tiers of the sport when there won't be a drive available for years?
How long can they honestly keep Sainz though, I can't see him staying the minimum 2 years atleast at Torro Rosso until Ricciardo or Verstappen want to leave after their contracts are up(which is still a big IF), He will likely leave plus they have in the past loaned their drivers to other teams(Vettel and Ricciardo) before taking them into STR.

Considering that their two most successful drivers to date are the ones that didn't even start in one of their teams, shows atleast back then how keen they where to promote talent, now the lineup looks a bit complacent if anything for Post Gasly future.

Im Surprised Redbull hasn't picked up any of these young talents, their Junior programs drivers after Gasly don't really look spectacular potential wise(except for Verschoor) and there is a big gap in experience as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Junior_Team

Former.
To be fair on Sette Camara at least, this year he got screwed a lot by grid penalties in a series where overtaking is incredibly scarce.

They've got Jehan Daruvala - who won Force India's "One In A Billion" programme - and Ferdinand Habsburg alongside Norris. All three regularly went wheel-to-wheel in last year's Toyota Racing Series.

Callum Illot and Guanyu Zhou. The fourth seat is still free. Illot is a Red Bull junior driver and Zhou has been picked up by Ferrari.
Regarding Carlin, I was more referring to the cars themselves, not the drivers. I remember Daruvala from TRS, he was quite good and the only guy who really pushed Lando on a regular basis. Habsburg the name sounds familiar, can't fully place him though. But ya, I was referring to the performance of the cars, in context of last year, where the Prema cars were usually the class of the field by a significant margin.

As far as Zhou and Illot...Zhou has shown amazing speed at times, and ballsy overtaking ability. If he can polish his driving, he'll be a force. Illot, I think you're incorrect that he is a RB driver. He WAS a RB driver in 2015, but was dropped from the program in 2016. I specifically remember the announcers commenting on this on a number of occasion, saying that the freedom and lack of pressure by not being in the RB program is what allowed Illot to "spread his wings" as it were, and flourish in 2016.

Back