Junior Formula. Discussion of F2, F3, F4, Formula Renault, TRS, W-Series, Indy Lights, etcOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 604 comments
Really curious to see how Lando Norris does this year - see if the hype is real or not. If his performance in the TRS last year was anything to go off of, he just might be the future.

Also intreguede by Pedro Piquet - he was quite terrible last year, but showed big signs of improvement in New Zealand over the winter.

There's also a couple other kids with F1 connects, can't remember all the names off the top of my head though.

I think I'll watch the F3 races on the official stream with English commentary this year because the German commentary will be the same as last years F4 coverage: Schumacher, Schumacher, Schumacher. Yes, it's great to see him driving, but focusing on him isn't helping him nor the rest of the field or the sport himself.

Ooooh I forgot about young Mick as well. Really need to watch F3 this year lol.

@phsycoazubi, where do you watch it live? I always have to wait for taped delays on illegal streams (which give you 5 bonus points for sharing around these parts), or I can wait nearly a month for the MotorTrendOnDemand app to update...which kind of sucks :(

Ooooh I forgot about young Mick as well. Really need to watch F3 this year lol.

@phsycoazubi, where do you watch it live? I always have to wait for taped delays on illegal streams (which give you 5 bonus points for sharing around these parts), or I can wait nearly a month for the MotorTrendOnDemand app to update...which kind of sucks :(

@twitcher it's also on the official F3 website.

What a race to start the season. Norris with new Lap record and huge performance. Very good driving, mastered all 3 SC starts. Schumi jr. also did a great job, from 12th to 8th and 3rd best rookie. Overall, the race had some nice and surprisingly clean fights.

Just caught up on the F3 races, they're all on YouTube for anyone who's interested. Looks like it's going to be a good season. No clear favorites at the front - I expect Norris and Ericson to be the main title contenders, Illot will an outside shot. It's cool hearing the announcer say "Schumacher followed by Piquet."

Impressive drives from Harrison Newey, 16-6 in one of the races. Lots of good overtaking moves from a variety of guys, and overall the racing was pretty clean (for F3).

Impressive drives from Harrison Newey, 16-6 in one of the races. Lots of good overtaking moves from a variety of guys, and overall the racing was pretty clean (for F3).
Yeah, but the season started with 3 safety cars in 2 racing laps

Yeah the first one isn't the drivers fold and the other two..well that happens, coincidence that the incidents happened in a very few laps. But the racing itself was great over the whole weekend, very very fair and hard, that was really a pleasure. But I'm also saying that coming from watching countless F4 races last years, which were almost all a wreckfest.

Excited for the races at Pau. We have been racing there last year with the GT4, sadly had no time to watch the F3 there. It is really a narrow track.

I'm starting to get into these series. Here's some little info for others to get a basic idea of where they rank among each other.

Formula 4 - 140 hp
Formula 3 - 200 hp
GP3 ------ 400 hp
Formula 2 - 612 hp

Unfortunately in Project Cars we don't have a 400hp open-wheeler outside of the classic Lotus 49 but the rest can be replicated for some good fun.

Formula 4 has multiple series around the world throughout the year, US, Italy, British, German, maybe some others. Formula 3 and GP3 has a really good schedule that we can race most of the tracks. Formula 2 just follows where Formula 1 goes and we don't have a lot of F1 tracks in PCars. I'd love more of the fly-away tracks in PCars 2 but Codemasters kind of has that game figured out.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
That was one of the most frightening racing crashes ever seen on TV, being shown live onboard from almost the drivers eye line is something we never see, the impact was so sudden and violent too.

Another sad element is that Billy himself is probably the only person yet to find out about his injuries.

Awful news, poor kid...

I wonder if he can take inspiration from Zanardi who also had the same thing happen - but hasn't let it stop him from both getting back into a racecar but also to win medals in the paralympics..

Oh man I really felt emotional for a bit, maybe even angered.. :indiff:

Awful news, poor kid...

I wonder if he can take inspiration from Zanardi who also had the same thing happen - but hasn't let it stop him from both getting back into a racecar but also to win medals in the paralympics..

Frederic Sausset:
lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-test-day-2016-84-srt41-by-oak-racing-morgan-nissan-frederic-sau.jpg

V3TEt.jpg

general-frederic-sausset-2015-frederic-sausset.jpg

I hope the young lad will get the funds to continue his goals..

Hopefully "lower legs" means below the knee... with the use of his knees he could be back in an unmodified car as soon as he wanted it.

I have no understanding of how this really goes and works, but I imagine he now has to raise and press his legs to do what he used to do with his feet?

Well a family friend of mine had diabetes and didn't do the proper things needed to stay healthy and had complications and lost his lower right leg below the knee. For him he was in a wheel chair for some time after, had a prosthetic (was much older than this young man) and needed to relearn walking. Even after a couple years, he still had problems limping and never was fully 100% percent and probably wont be. Now imagine both legs gone, it's not simple as sizing up the person for replacement pseudo limbs and them being on their way just because they didn't lose the joint.

So back to what you've said, yes in some respect that's a simplification of what needs to be done, but there is psychological factors. Many people after losing their limb from what I learned go through this deal of phantom feelings. Where their brain still thinks or acts as if the limb is still there so much so that you could feel an itch on it, even though its gone. So when you start working with a new false limb it makes the matter a bit more complicated.

If it was as easy as psu made it sound, it'd be great, and he'd be driving perhaps in a month at full speed. But the sad reality is his life has been changed and it will take time for it to be normal even. I'm sure we all wish the best for him and to see him doing what he loves again in life.

Well a family friend of mine had diabetes and didn't do the proper things needed to stay healthy and had complications and lost his lower right leg below the knee. For him he was in a wheel chair for some time after, had a prosthetic (was much older than this young man) and needed to relearn walking. Even after a couple years, he still had problems limping and never was fully 100% percent and probably wont be. Now imagine both legs gone, it's not simple as sizing up the person for replacement pseudo limbs and them being on their way just because they didn't lose the joint.

So back to what you've said, yes in some respect that's a simplification of what needs to be done, but there is psychological factors. Many people after losing their limb from what I learned go through this deal of phantom feelings. Where their brain still thinks or acts as if the limb is still there so much so that you could feel an itch on it, even though its gone. So when you start working with a new false limb it makes the matter a bit more complicated.

If it was as easy as psu made it sound, it'd be great, and he'd be driving perhaps in a month at full speed. But the sad reality is his life has been changed and it will take time for it to be normal even. I'm sure we all wish the best for him and to see him doing what he loves again in life.

That was a very hard lesson learned for your friend.. Maybe one can live with the limping if you could still race cars, but the phantoms sound like a real nightmare. Pretty amazing your brain can fake those feelings too. I hope this is something Moller can deal with in a positive way.

I was looking up how fast Zanardi was back in the car and it seems like walking took him a year and then a year after (2003) he finished his 2001 race. In 2005 he won his first WTCC race. That sounds like an incredible recovery time and I'm sure it has a lot to do with just not giving up..

Back