The McLaren F1... erh... P1 Thread

• Thread starter deba94
  • 719 comments
Perhaps the P1 GTR will be able to beat the 918 ;)
The P1 would beat the 918 at any track that has more than 3 high-speed corners, unlike Laguna Seca. Any F1 track on the calendar the P1 would walk away. Obviously AWD is a boon in tight cornering which Laguna Seca has an abundance of.

Not sure if this is really the best place to post this, but seems relevant to the discussion...

More evidence that Porsche keep on producing cars that just deliver... 991 Turbo S, on standard P Zeros, with no support, just beat a Ferrari Speciale on cup tyres with full factory support, round Anglesey by 0.6s, and a standard MY15 GTR by 3s :crazy:

The 911 damn near pulled the front tires off the ground at launch. :bowdown:

Why is the Turbo S so damn expensive though? $200k? Got damn. You could buy two GT4s.
Well, it's quicker around Anglesey than a $243,000 Ferrari 458 Speciale, so it makes you wonder why the Speciale is that expensive. Or why the 918 Spyder is four times the cost for just a second quicker.

(NB: I'm well aware that the time around one circuit or the cost of different cars will differ; I'm just highlighting why cost doesn't really matter at this level)

The Turbo S is quicker on stock P Zeros... stick a set of Cups on it and it might even embarrass a 918 :lol:

The P1 would beat the 918 at any track that has more than 3 high-speed corners, unlike Laguna Seca. Any F1 track on the calendar the P1 would walk away. Obviously AWD is a boon in tight cornering which Laguna Seca has an abundance of.

You're probably right - show the P1 a flat, fast track, and it's higher power/lower weight/higher downforce would win through. However the continuing lack of 'Ring time would indicate the P1 isn't as fast when bumps are involved - unless one believes McLaren's BS on why they didn't post a time despite being camped out at the 'Ring for several record attempts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to sound over critical of the P1... it's an awesome car... but Ron should learn something from Porsche and keep his big gob shut until his cars have actually delivered. He spouted off about the MP12-4C (claiming it would be measurably better than any competitor, and it keeps getting it's ass kicked by the 458), and he spouted off about the P1 (claiming it would be the fastest car on any track now and in the future, and it's not).

As for Ferrari... where's the yellow chicken smilie?

The very last P1 has rolled off the assembly line.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/mclaren-p1-production-is-over-this-is.html

MclarenP1-End-01.jpg

The Holy Trinity has pretty much died as fast as they appeared. Doesn't feel all that long ago people were talking about the dawn of a new era of hyper-hybrids.

I forgot that P1 production was so limited. They went through all that R&D and could have easily sold triple the amount. I wonder what they will do next.

I forgot that P1 production was so limited. They went through all that R&D and could have easily sold triple the amount. I wonder what they will do next.

Probably a more powerful hybrid system, more downforce and more advanced aero. Depends on what they learn from the P1 GTR in developing the P1 successor.

It's actually one of the very last cars with MSO touches on it. It's owned by Graham Davidson who owns a storage facility in Scotland & a McLaren racing team.

I don't get it i thought the P1 was the Successor to the F1? As mclaren lost faith in the P1 :(
It is. McLaren has an entire page dedicated to how the F1 was the inspiration for the P1.
http://cars.mclaren.com/P1/Inspiration

Even two decades after it first appeared, the McLaren F1 still looks ahead of its time. It combined extraordinary speed with everyday usability in a way that no other contemporary supercar could. The McLaren P1™ is every inch its rightful successor. While headline writers loved the fact that the McLaren F1 was the fastest production car in the world – setting a record of 240.1mph – its greatest legacy was its technical innovation. It was the first road car to be built around a carbon fibre tub, a technology pioneered by McLaren in Formula 1, and one that lies at the heart of all of our current models. The McLaren F1 also used its hand-built V12 engine as a stressed component, had a unique central driving position, and the design team’s quest for lightweight perfection was such that gold foil was used in its engine bay to reflect heat. While it was never designed for competition, the F1 also morphed into an enormously successful race car – winning the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1995.

A new F1 will be more of the next iteration of the model, & not its successor.

Is this right?

Editor's note: After recording this video, there was a statement from the CEO of Mclaren stating that Autocar's report of the F1 was false and that they would not be making another F1. However, none of this makes sense and we need more information before knowing what this means, because the car does exist.

Got that from a yt video

P1 me if old :lol::)

Dug up this thread to post this video with the P1 GTR at Monza in the hands of Bruno Senna. Looking at his hotlap, the data logger says he did a 1:46.9 and tops out around 320kmh on the car's speedo

Back