The MG Metro 6R4: A Little-Known Group B Era Monster

Pretty cool cars these group b rally. Their a lot of fun in GTS so it would be nice if more came to the game. The Audi Sport quattro S1 Pikes Peak '87 is an awesome car it’s pikes peak, but group b in Gran turismo sport, so an article on this car would be a nice read any chance? ;)

Pretty cool cars these group b rally. Their a lot of fun in GTS so it would be nice if more came to the game. The Audi Sport quattro S1 Pikes Peak '87 is an awesome car it’s pikes peak, but group b in Gran turismo sport, so an article on this car would be a nice read any chance? ;)

Anything Group B in GTS means the update would need to have a heavy focus on Rally,new rally track,Rally Daily(Weekly) Race,Rally tire physics update...

Don’t see how the number of Group B cars in existence is “dwindling”. Unless they’re all getting destroyed doing vintage rallies, I imagine all of them that survived the 80’s have been in the hands of collectors since then. And the homologation specials seem to be safe from the grasp of restomodders thankfully...

Always been my Gr.B car of choice. We need more 80s Gr. B cars and a pikes peak catagort for the OP Audi And maybe we could get the wscudo and pikes peak back. I doubt it but maybe next game. But I am happy Colorado (my home state) is pretty well represented imo

Is it just me that gets the feeling @Joey D picks quite a few of the cars for this series while playing Forza? :lol:

@Famine actually picked this one :lol:

As for how I pick them, it's actually kind of unexciting. I sit on conference calls most of the day and I have a pretty good favorites folder of a bunch of auction houses and dealers. I pretty much just browse those and anything I find interesting I'll research. As long as there's some info out there, I'll go with it. I do pull from video games on occasion though and anytime Forza or GT Sport puts out a new DLC car pack, I look for those first. It's not my problem that Forza happen to have a slightly more interesting car lineup to me :D

I need some sort of guide to figure out cars though. If it was just me it'd be nothing but a bunch of obscure cars no one wants :lol:.

With that said, I'm typically open to suggestions which can be posted here. Just tag me if you find something cool.

Hardly little-know. There weren't a massive amount of group b cars and the metro is one of the prominent ones.
You're talking as a Brit. The Austin Rover brand was barely known outside of Europe (actually the Europeans quite liked our BL cars... to a certain extent), and in fact - unlike the Audi Quattro Sport, Peugeot 205 T16, Lancia Delta S4 and 037, Renault 5 Turbo, and Ford RS200 - the factory 6R4 never actually competed in a rally outside of Europe.

For Brits and rally fans, the 6R4 is pretty much up there - especially as the only naturally aspirated car. Of course they're also not unknown as rallycross cars. Otherwise it's one of the lesser-known ones.

You're right, the BX 4TC is rarer, but then we can all run off a list of super-rare Group B and Group S rally cars. I mean, we already did the Toyota 222D in a Wednesday Want, and then there's things like the Lada Samara EVA. Although my favourite ultra-rare Group B rally car is a Peugeot - and it's not the 205 or 405...

Hardly little-know. There weren't a massive amount of group b cars and the metro is one of the prominent ones.
It also almost inevitably comes up whenever you see an internet article about the XJ220, or an article about the series as a whole (probably written up as "most cars in the class used turbo four cylinders, but not this one"). I'd say the only ones that get more exposure thirty years removed are the S4 and the Quattro Sport.

Last edited:
I had to look it up, but it's got to be the 504 Pickup, right? That's about as strange as you can get
Yup.

Homologated into Group B due to, of all things, the cabin space.

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Joe Donaldson (@Joey D) on December 19th, 2018 in the Car Culture category.

Only little known if your short in years. "Older dogs" - like my self, are more likely to know all the Group B monsters and legends as this was undoubtedly the most interesting time in rally history. Also I think if you live in Europe you are more likely to be into some motors ports than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always my favorite because of the absurdly high revving, N/A V6:

The Breen vid's interesting not just because it's completely crazy, but also because it illustrates one of my favourite things about 6R4s: most used the "wrong" dashboard. Generally RHD cars got LHD dashboards - the co-driver got all the instrument pods, while the driver just got a steering wheel sprouting from a roughly-cut hole in the dash :lol:

I've seen a couple of 6R4s up close and they're complete sheds too. Drooping fibreglass, approximately-aimed screws and rivets, panel gaps you could fit your head through. Very cool things, but when Ford or Peugeot's Group B cars are built better you know it was done on a budget!

Back