The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
United Kingdom
England
Did a search and couldn't find any threads associated with MMA so hopefully there isn't already already.

Not sure how many, if any people around here have any interested in Mixed Martial Arts but we'll see how it goes I guess.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss and post all things MMA from upcoming events from The UFC, Bellator, WSOF or any other other organizations to fighter interviews or highlight videos, or fights from the past in previous organizations such as PRIDE, Strikeforce, WEC and others.

This Saturday 16th November will be UFC 167 the main event will be a Welterweight Title Fight between the champion George "Rush" St-Pierre against the challenger Johny "Bigg Rigg" Hendricks.

Is anyone here going to be watching? And if you are who are you picking to win?

So weird how in two fights he has gone from 'best that ever lived' to career over. Hope he makes a full recovery, as you say, that was ugly.

That was horrible to watch, makes me want to not through a leg kick again! At least the homegirl Ronda won!

Damn that was nasty the leg brake for Silva. Hopefully he makes a quick recovery, but unfortunately that could be a career ending injury.

Overall it was a good night of action to be honest, glad I stayed up for it. :)

Damn that was nasty the leg brake for Silva. Hopefully he makes a quick recovery, but unfortunately that could be a career ending injury.

Overall it was a good night of action to be honest, glad I stayed up for it. :)

Yeah I don't think he'll come back from that especially at 39 years of age.

UFC Fight Night 38 tonight Gustafsson v Manuwa, on UK TV BT Sports 1 starting at 7:30pm - Midnight... Also oddly listed on Channel 5 starting at 9:00pm ending at 11:00pm? :confused:

UFC Fight Night 38 tonight Gustafsson v Manuwa, on UK TV BT Sports 1 starting at 7:30pm - Midnight... Also oddly listed on Channel 5 starting at 9:00pm ending at 11:00pm? :confused:

Looks like Channel 5 might have deal to show UFC, if so that's great news for people who haven't got BT Sport. However I think it just might be a one off, because tonights event is in the UK.

Also I'm wondering if you don't mind changing the thread title and add Boxing to it aswell. No point in creating a separate thread when we could discuss Boxing and MMA in one thread ?

No problem, done. Yeah I guess it's just a one time deal for Channel 5 being a UK event, I was more confused at the different start/end times, but watching BT Sport now, it's just them at the arena chatting about the event before it starts, kind of annoying really, would have rather them showed the prelims instead of having this "hype" hour before hand. I guess prelim fights are now exclusive to UFC's fight pass online network now though.

No problem, done. Yeah I guess it's just a one time deal for Channel 5 being a UK event, I was more confused at the different start/end times, but watching BT Sport now, it's just them at the arena chatting about the event before it starts, kind of annoying really, would have rather them showed the prelims instead of having this "hype" hour before hand. I guess prelim fights are now exclusive to UFC's fight pass online network now though.

Thanks. 👍

Yeah hopefully it isn't a one off, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah I hate it when they talk and that, just would be good if they went straight to the action.

Good action there at the weekend, plenty of Boxing and MMA and enjoyed both. :)

Congrats to Johny Hendricks on becoming the new welterweight champion. I suppose well deserved and maybe abit of justice was done, as alot of people thought he did beat GSP. Was a good fight aswell, back and forth but Hendricks got the job done. 👍

Good action there at the weekend, plenty of Boxing and MMA and enjoyed both. :)

Congrats to Johny Hendricks on becoming the new welterweight champion. I suppose well deserved and maybe abit of justice was done, as alot of people thought he did beat GSP. Was a good fight aswell, back and forth but Hendricks got the job done. 👍

Yeah I don't see the controversy to be honest, had it 2-2 going into the last and Lawler simply gassed. I think Johnny is screwed now though, bring on Diaz!

163775485-1769434.jpg

Yeah I don't see the controversy to be honest, had it 2-2 going into the last and Lawler simply gassed. I think Johnny is screwed now though, bring on Diaz!

👍 Can only hope, but with his last win being back in 2011 over BJ and him losing his last 2 which were both title fights will be difficult to see how the UFC can justify him getting a 3rd. But there is no real clear cut No.1 contender at 170 right now, and I know I'd rather see Diaz v Hendrix than say MacDonald, Lombard or Woodley.

👍 Can only hope, but with his last win being back in 2011 over BJ and him losing his last 2 which were both title fights will be difficult to see how the UFC can justify him getting a 3rd. But there is no real clear cut No.1 contender at 170 right now, and I know I'd rather see Diaz v Hendrix than say MacDonald, Lombard or Woodley.

Yeah, I think the UFC will go through with it because he's got the majority vote in the poll over the others (Above 50%) and he's one of the few draws the UFC has left with Condit and GSP out. I think he won the fight against Condit but there's now way he even got a round in the GSP fight. Either way it's Nick Diaz, people either want to see him get knocked out or vice versa. Regardless of what they say, they'll watch the fight.

What better way to get ready for tomorrow's rematch between Hendo and Shogun ?

Watch there first meeting again, what a epic fight that was. 👍

So who we got in the rematch ?

Very tough call, but I think without Hendo on TRT, Shogun takes it by KO Round 4
Link to first encounter:

Very tough call, but I think without Hendo on TRT, Shogun takes it by KO Round 4

Yeah I'm going with Shogun too, I just think Hendo is too past it these days, hasn't looked great in his last few, watching him stepping in pawing with his right hand walking stright into Vitors upercut was facepalm worthy. I never make predictions on how it will end though as I never get it right :lol:

Also Hendo will be on TRT for this fight but it will be his last time on it now the ban is in effect.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/3/2...erson-vs-shogun-2-trt-steroids-last-fight-tue

Yeah I'm going with Shogun too, I just think Hendo is too past it these days, hasn't looked great in his last few, watching him stepping in pawing with his right hand walking stright into Vitors upercut was facepalm worthy. I never make predictions on how it will end though as I never get it right :lol:

Also Hendo will be on TRT for this fight but it will be his last time on it now the ban is in effect.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/3/2...erson-vs-shogun-2-trt-steroids-last-fight-tue

That's strange, I thought they were able meant to be of it as soon as it was enforced? Still got Shogun though and that Vitor KO was brilliant! He lifted him of the ground lol.

Man what a massive win for Hendo, that trusty right hand always there. :lol:

Good action on the undercard aswell. 👍

Not much been going on with UFC events lately, UFC FN 39 coming up this weekend I think? Big Nog V Roy Nelson as main event.

Roy Nelson (19-9) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (34-8-1)

Clay Guida (30-14) vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri (33-7-2)

John Howard (22-8) vs. Ryan LaFlare (10-0)

Beneil Dariush (7-0) vs. Ramsey Nijem (8-4)

So... Here's some Nick and Nate Diaz news to keep this thread entertaining.

This might be of interest to you @MadFlavour

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/9...-never-loved-fighting-i-never-wanted-to-fight

On Wednesday, UFC president Dana White said he offered Nick Diaz a fight against Hector Lombard and was waiting to hear back from him.

"I tried to make Nick and Lombard," White said. "Nick and I talked, and I haven't heard back from him, he went MIA."

"I never considered anything other than to renegotiate my contract or fight Johny Hendrix," he said. "All I said was, What am I getting paid? And he said, Let me check your contract. And the last text I got from him was what I would be fighting for. I didn't consider fighting for that kind of money. I didn't say anything back to him, right, but usually that means something. I'm not considering even for a second fighting any of those guys for less than $500,000. There's no way."

"The UFC wants me to fight. The people want me to fight. I don't want me to fight. So if we're going to need me to fight, we're going to have to work out the right deal."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/8...nce-about-issues-with-ufc-dana-white-responds

MMAFighting.com spoke to [Nate] Diaz Tuesday afternoon. Here's what he had to say about his current relationship with the UFC:

"I'm ready to fight but not for some funny money that they're trying to give me. They can let me go or they can let me fight, but let me do something. They know I need to make some money. I feel like they're just trying to keep me on the waiting list. I don't even want to communicate through anybody. If they want to figure out what's going on, we should talk. No one is contacting me. I'm just doing my thing. Training every day. I'm ready to fight tomorrow."

"The crazy thing to me is that in what other professional sport do the cheerleaders make more than the athletes? I'm sure Arianny Celeste, Brittney Palmer, Joe Rogan, Bruce Buffer, probably you, everybody makes more money than I do. So I'm trying to make a move here. The way that the UFC makes me look, too, makes people I know believe that I'm some type of millionaire. I got a family to feed. I got my mom. She just got a brand new house and working two jobs still. I'm trying to break her off some money when I can but I'm going as broke as her.

"Then they called me to take the Khabib [Nurmagomedov] fight when it wasn't working out for them and Gil [Melendez]. They were trying to lowball Gil, too, and he was supposed to fight Khabib, but he said he couldn't take the fight for the money they were offering. So they call me the next day and ask me to fight Khabib. I said, I'll take the fight as long as I can renegotiate my contract. And then it was all downhill from there. Then they tweeted out that I turned down the fight, and I never turned down the fight. They tried to do me dirty."

"There's a lot more money that needs to be dished out because it's coming in, and I know it."

Not much been going on with UFC events lately, UFC FN 39 coming up this weekend I think? Big Nog V Roy Nelson as main event.

Roy Nelson (19-9) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (34-8-1)

Clay Guida (30-14) vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri (33-7-2)

John Howard (22-8) vs. Ryan LaFlare (10-0)

Beneil Dariush (7-0) vs. Ramsey Nijem (8-4)

So... Here's some Nick and Nate Diaz news to keep this thread entertaining.

This might be of interest to you @MadFlavour

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/9...-never-loved-fighting-i-never-wanted-to-fight

On Wednesday, UFC president Dana White said he offered Nick Diaz a fight against Hector Lombard and was waiting to hear back from him.

"I tried to make Nick and Lombard," White said. "Nick and I talked, and I haven't heard back from him, he went MIA."

"I never considered anything other than to renegotiate my contract or fight Johny Hendrix," he said. "All I said was, What am I getting paid? And he said, Let me check your contract. And the last text I got from him was what I would be fighting for. I didn't consider fighting for that kind of money. I didn't say anything back to him, right, but usually that means something. I'm not considering even for a second fighting any of those guys for less than $500,000. There's no way."

"The UFC wants me to fight. The people want me to fight. I don't want me to fight. So if we're going to need me to fight, we're going to have to work out the right deal."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/8...nce-about-issues-with-ufc-dana-white-responds

MMAFighting.com spoke to [Nate] Diaz Tuesday afternoon. Here's what he had to say about his current relationship with the UFC:

"I'm ready to fight but not for some funny money that they're trying to give me. They can let me go or they can let me fight, but let me do something. They know I need to make some money. I feel like they're just trying to keep me on the waiting list. I don't even want to communicate through anybody. If they want to figure out what's going on, we should talk. No one is contacting me. I'm just doing my thing. Training every day. I'm ready to fight tomorrow."

"The crazy thing to me is that in what other professional sport do the cheerleaders make more than the athletes? I'm sure Arianny Celeste, Brittney Palmer, Joe Rogan, Bruce Buffer, probably you, everybody makes more money than I do. So I'm trying to make a move here. The way that the UFC makes me look, too, makes people I know believe that I'm some type of millionaire. I got a family to feed. I got my mom. She just got a brand new house and working two jobs still. I'm trying to break her off some money when I can but I'm going as broke as her.

"Then they called me to take the Khabib [Nurmagomedov] fight when it wasn't working out for them and Gil [Melendez]. They were trying to lowball Gil, too, and he was supposed to fight Khabib, but he said he couldn't take the fight for the money they were offering. So they call me the next day and ask me to fight Khabib. I said, I'll take the fight as long as I can renegotiate my contract. And then it was all downhill from there. Then they tweeted out that I turned down the fight, and I never turned down the fight. They tried to do me dirty."

"There's a lot more money that needs to be dished out because it's coming in, and I know it."

I read that Nate article yesterday and what he says is 100% legit, now that Melendez has shown he can haggle with the UFC all the other fighters should be trying to make more of getting beaten up for a living. The UFC makes same amount of money as MLS in the US but pays their fighters 80% less then the MLS players.

Nick, he knows that the UFC needs him right now because they have no stars left that they can really push PPV with apart from a few of them. I think he'll just wait it out and they'll eventually give him a title shot when PPV numbers start following.

Main event, I got Noguira and co main I think Clay if he comes in shape.

Latest Posts

Back