The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
So this Mayweather-Mcgregor thing is getting really close to happening. Every single one of the experts I've heard or read said that if it's a straight "real" boxing match, that mayweather can't lose. Being able to knock someone out as a UFC fighter, and straight boxing are two entirely different things. With boxing taking a lot more stamina.

I would love to see Mcgregor knock him out, I just don't see I happening though. I can't stand mayweather. It would of been really cool, if they would if done a "one and one" deal. One boxing match, and one fight in the octogan.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

What you need to know about Conor McGregor-Floyd Mayweather super fight

http://usat.ly/2lh6SeF

In the octagon McGregor wins, in the boxing ring Mayweather wins. About it.
Yeah it is really that simple. McGregor could win against Mayweather in Boxing, but I highly doubt it. The whole appeal of this fight isn't so much the fight itself, but the entertainment and the spectacle of it all.

Yeah it is really that simple. McGregor could win against Mayweather in Boxing, but I highly doubt it. The whole appeal of this fight isn't so much the fight itself, but the entertainment and the spectacle of it all.
I saw a comment on an article online which really summed it up. Went along the lines of - neither want this match, there is for McGregor a 99% chance he'll lose and for Mayweather there is a 1% chance he'll lose. For McGregor that's not a good stat and for Mayweather it's not worth the 1% risk.

All I know is I'd pop a tenner on McGregor. :lol:

So this Mayweather-Mcgregor thing is getting really close to happening. Every single one of the experts I've heard or read said that if it's a straight "real" boxing match, that mayweather can't lose. Being able to knock someone out as a UFC fighter, and straight boxing are two entirely different things. With boxing taking a lot more stamina.

I would love to see Mcgregor knock him out, I just don't see I happening though. I can't stand mayweather. It would of been really cool, if they would if done a "one and one" deal. One boxing match, and one fight in the octogan.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

What you need to know about Conor McGregor-Floyd Mayweather super fight

http://usat.ly/2lh6SeF
You cant stand Floyd but Conor has stolen his gimmick (as well as other peoples gimmick) and is an even bigger douche.

Anyone who pays for this need their head checking, both of them will be laughing at the muppets paying for this believing It's a contest. You have to lol at people who say Floyd will win with a boring 12 round decision,Floyd fights the best Boxers in the world not MMA guys who cant Box. Floyd has more knockouts than McGregor has fights. McGregor wants this fight so he can get millions and then retire having never defended a belt then go on one of his delusional brags about how he's the greatest and never lost a title fight, much like when he was king for decisioning that 250lb beast Nate Diaz lmao.

Anyway only in an act of corruption does this fight happen, no legit commission would sanction a fight between a 49-0 best boxer in the world and a 0-0, Conor took up MMA rather than further his boxing career for a reason.

This guy simply needs to defend his belt. It's amazing that Dana white helped create this monster and couldn't see this playing out like this.

Big news has just broke, with the legend himself, Georges St-Pierre, officially signing with the UFC for his MMA comeback.

Who do you want to see him fight in his return to the Octagon? I personally want to see him fight Anderson Silva or Conor McGregor.

Wow! I gotta say i love the UFC and watch pretty much every event religiously and follow the news daily to see whats being discussed, but this takes the piss! GSP straight back into a title fight against the middleweight champ when he was a welterweight and only because Bisping looks like an easier win than Woodley or Thompson? What about the rest of the middleweights in line.. Jacare, Yoel and Gegard etc.. talk about brush them aside 👎

The UFC money machine is disrespectful to it's fighters and to put a guy who imo retired after the beating of a lifetime at the hands of Johnny Hendricks nearly 4 years ago right into the hotseat is bad for the organization! but they will continue to do it and I will continue to watch but not happy one bit with this cr@ppy move, at least stick him in with someone from top 5 and see what happens? I hope Bisping disposes of George in this fight to end this comeback dream before one of the other top 5 have the pleasure to do it :P

Anyway can't wait for this weekends mega fights woohoo ;) 👍

Wow! I gotta say i love the UFC and watch pretty much every event religiously and follow the news daily to see whats being discussed, but this takes the piss! GSP straight back into a title fight against the middleweight champ when he was a welterweight and only because Bisping looks like an easier win than Woodley or Thompson? What about the rest of the middleweights in line.. Jacare, Yoel and Gegard etc.. talk about brush them aside 👎
Well, he retired as a champion and considering he's one of the all-time greats so it's reasonable. As for being in Middleweight rather than Welterweight, that could only be down to the fact he is bigger than what he was when he was actually fighting.

I do think he should have had a warm-up fight first, probably against someone like a Mousasi, Whittaker or a Weidman but it is reasonable to see him in a title fight in one of his first fights back.

I personally wanted GSP to fight Anderson Silva when he returned but I guess that fight can happen next if GSP wins.

Khabib blew it. He'll never get a fight with McGregor now, what a flog. The weight cutting system is broken but everyone plays to the same rules....

Looking forward to Woodley/ Wonderboy. I think if Woodley takes it down, Wonderboy is stuffed.

Khabib blew it. He'll never get a fight with McGregor now, what a flog. The weight cutting system is broken but everyone plays to the same rules....

Looking forward to Woodley/ Wonderboy. I think if Woodley takes it down, Wonderboy is stuffed.
Yeah, Khabib was one of the best chances to dethrone McGregor in my eyes, especially if Khabib took it to the ground, but now, that's nothing more than a pipe dream. Hopefully El Cucy can step up to the plate then.

I'm still torn between who will win the main event. But I'm gonna go with Woodley, as I had him winning the first fight, just. If Woodley can utilise his powerful leg kick and also take it to the ground (two things he should have done the first time round) he has this one in the bag.

Great card right up until the main event. Vannata v Teymur was fight of the night. Those guys were insane. Great offense by both of them, and great defense by Vannata to eat those shots and keep on fighting.

Woodley v Thompson 2 was utter 🤬 That's all there is to say about it because jack:censored: happened.

Kelly v Evans was an entertaining fight. Good to see Kelly get the well deserved win.

Cooper v Calvillo was also entertaining. Calvillo was an absolute beast on the ground.

Overeem v Hunt, was a slow fight but still fun to eatch regardless, but what a knee by Overeem. Hunt was out cold when that connected. Hunt could have won had he capitalized on the opportunities he had when Overeem was rocked, but just like against Lesnar, Hunt was too focussed on that walk-off KO.

Pretty much agree with everything you said NW48. Main event was garbage. Looking forward to seeing more of Teymur though.

Yep such a build up for the main event and such a dreadfully boring let down.. I don't want to see a 3rd if it's anywhere as boring as that fight 👎

I agree Vannata v Teymur was fight of the night.. Vannata's crazy for real, I love seeing how he shrugs off massive punches like he was just tickled haha :lol:

I missed this weekends fights, was unhappy to hear Nermagomedov pulled from the card, that was the fight I was most looking forward to. People have to start fighting in their actual weight class.

Was very happy to hear GSP is coming back, he was always one of my favorites, also happy to hear him fighting Bispbing but agree it shouldn't be for a belt. Sounds like it's scheduled for July?

So who do you all have for this weekend's event? I think it's a pick 'em, Rumble obviously has soul crushing power but Cormier is a grinder and tough as nails. Survived that big knee from Gus and that huge right overhand from Johnson in their first meeting. I'll go for Rumble in rounds 1-3 but I'll take Cormier if it manages to go into the championship rounds.

Either way, I'm hyped!

Disappointing card for me. Only really care about Cormier/ Rumble and Mousasi/ Weideman.

I'd sorta agree with your verdict on the main event, but Cormier gassed like a boss against Silva and that wasn't even that tough a match. I will go Rumble, based on Cormier's cardio and he'll be rusty.

I hope Mousasi wins, I really do. He flies under the radar and this is his big chance to get a shot at Bisping once the GSP circus has moved on and assuming Romero doesn't happen.

So who do you all have for this weekend's event? I think it's a pick 'em, Rumble obviously has soul crushing power but Cormier is a grinder and tough as nails. Survived that big knee from Gus and that huge right overhand from Johnson in their first meeting. I'll go for Rumble in rounds 1-3 but I'll take Cormier if it manages to go into the championship rounds.

Either way, I'm hyped!
I've got Cormier but he has to take it to tbe ground as soon as he can. The audience may not like it, but it's the way for him to win the fight.

In the co-main, in a personal dream match of mine, it's Mousasi v Weidman. In my opinion, this fight is even harder to call than the main event. Weidman is looking to bounce back from consecutive loses, and Mousasi is looking to continue his hot form and hopefully get a title shot. I cannot split them, so I'm predicting a draw.

Disappointing card for me. Only really care about Cormier/ Rumble and Mousasi/ Weideman.

I'd sorta agree with your verdict on the main event, but Cormier gassed like a boss against Silva and that wasn't even that tough a match. I will go Rumble, based on Cormier's cardio and he'll be rusty.

I hope Mousasi wins, I really do. He flies under the radar and this is his big chance to get a shot at Bisping once the GSP circus has moved on and assuming Romero doesn't happen.
I feel like Cormier gassed like that because of the stress that came along with Jones popping a couple days before 200, it seemed to effect his weight cut, he said it himself, the weight just wasn't coming off properly. But even so, it should be a great fight.

Weidman vs. Mousasi is a great fight, Mousasi can be overlooked at points I feel by the more casual fans, but he's a beast. However Weidman is no easy task for anyone. I'd give the striking advantage to Gegard and the grappling to Weidman. 3 years ago I would be more inclined to say it's a pure striker vs. grappler match up, but these days, all of the top MMA fighters are super well rounded. Looking forward to that one for sure.

Looking forward to the Mousasi v Weidman scrap the most and reckon Gegard is on a rampage at the moment and can see Chris become another victim but that's just my call on that one :D
Cormier v Rumble.. I'm calling Rumble as the new champ on this one ;) As long as he can keep out of takedown range as Daniel smothers people so easily and he looks healthy with his weight cut in the last few days so it should be a cracking fight no matter what.. That's all I'm interested in for the card so will just tune in from 3am 👍

Edit: Just saw some news that Rhonda v Cyborg is set for Jan 4th 2018.. I thought she was done with MMA after those 2 savage defeats but seems she has more in store for us! the other 2 beatings were bad but Cyborg! jeez this could end really bad for her.. she got some big balls though ;) GL to her she gonna need it 👍

Last edited:
Looking forward to the Mousasi v Weidman scrap the most and reckon Gegard is on a rampage at the moment and can see Chris become another victim but that's just my call on that one :D
Cormier v Rumble.. I'm calling Rumble as the new champ on this one ;) As long as he can keep out of takedown range as Daniel smothers people so easily and he looks healthy with his weight cut in the last few days so it should be a cracking fight no matter what.. That's all I'm interested in for the card so will just tune in from 3am 👍

Edit: Just saw some news that Rhonda v Cyborg is set for Jan 4th 2018.. I thought she was done with MMA after those 2 savage defeats but seems she has more in store for us! the other 2 beatings were bad but Cyborg! jeez this could end really bad for her.. she got some big balls though ;) GL to her she gonna need it 👍
Gonna be great! Also, where did you see that?!? Can't find it on Reddit.

Saw it from 3.22 on this UFC daily update video on youtube..

Probably BS as nothing on ufc.com yet.. but they have only announced fights up until October so far? I probably fell for some clickbait the more i think about it 👎:embarrassed:

Saw it from 3.22 on this UFC daily update video on youtube..

Probably BS as nothing on ufc.com yet.. but they have only announced fights up until October so far? I probably fell for some clickbait the more i think about it :embarrassed:

Ah yeah I think it is clickbait. r/MMA is where I get my news, it usually drops there first. Well also from other sites but I usually find out first from Reddit.

Latest Posts

Back