The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
Anderson Silva has pulled out of UFC 212, citing the inability of the UFC to get him a fight, and saying "I'm done". Guessing that this is the end of Anderson Silva in the UFC, which I'm sort of conflicted about as he is a legend and possibly the greatest, but ever since the second Weidman fight when he broke his leg, he's been somewhat tarnishing his reputation by going on too long. If this is indeed the end, then I wish Anderson the best in retirement.

But on a lighter note, it's finally Fight Week for UFC 211. The card is as follows;
ufcd-640x390.jpg

What fight are you most looking forward to? For me, it's a toss up between Frankie Edgar v Yair Rodriguez or Stipe Miocic v Junior Dos Santos 2.

If only Anderson had bloody well finished off Bisping when he had the chance to, how different things would be today.

Ok at best card for me, 212. Hope Cigano finished Stipe, as I think Stipe has had an easy ride against old timers with glass jaws. Although Cigano probably fits that description these days too. The HW division paper thin these days.

4 fights on that card that I like in this order.. Maia v Masvidal, Edgar v Rodriguez, Miocic v Dos Santos and Joanna v Jess

Eddie v Dustin should be good one also but putting 2 of Conor's victims together in a scrap does sort of lose it's appeal for me as it does nothing to push them into the top spots considering everyone else at the top are sitting at deadlock there waiting for the messiah to return from his holidays :D Dustin will move up if he wins outright spectacularly but Eddie will wait another year and a day and 4 straight wins against the likes of Ferguson, Numargomedov, Barbosa and possibly Diaz before he can even think about another crack at the title and the route there is nowhere near easy.. unless your 2nd name is McGregor who made it look too easy by winning his 1 and only fight in that division and doesn't defend it for an age :P

Don't get me wrong.. Conor is an exceptional fighter and addictive viewing but he really needs to get his arse in gear and do something! Thankfully his kid is born safe congrats to him.. now get something signed on paper and announce publically before they strip you yet again! He should be feeling like Sly in Rocky 2 when Adrian wakes up from a coma and says the magic word to him "Win" :P Anxious times are over get back to work 👍

The HW division paper thin these days.
I was always a fan of Stefan Struve, always thought he could be one of the top guys in the division. Just a shame injuries have prevented him from reaching his full potential.

Dana White has just made a bombshell announcement. Michael Bisping v George St-Pierre is off. Instead Bisping will defend against Yoel Romero. Dana did pitch the idea of Bisping v Whittaker in Australia. I would say that this would likely happen in Perth given the recent lifting of the ban on cagefighting in the state. But that seems unlikely to happen until after Bisping v Romero.

Also, Henry Cejudo has pulled out of his fight at UFC 211 against Sergio Pettis. I expect Alvarez v Poirer to be elevated to the main card.

^ the most amount of 👍 ever.

Can't wait to see Bisping mauled.
As long as Romero shows up like he did against Weidman, then Bisping won't stand a chance. Not even a lucky Left Hook Larry could save Bisping.

On an unrelated note, I think the title may need a bit of an update :lol:

Daniel Cormier v Jon Jones II signed for UFC 214. And they're already at each others throats after a backstage altercation where Jones brought Cormier's kids into the feud. It's not known what he said, but Cormier was furious as he rushed at Jones before hitting him with a water bottle. This all took place moments before the curtain was to go up to start the UFC's annual Summer Kick-Off Press Conference.

I can't wait for this. Biggest fight the UFC can make right now. Hopefully Jon Jones doesn't screw up again.

Props to Andrade too though, just kept on coming and looked dangerous right to the end. Big ask to drop from 155 to 115 and she is still the best #2 out there.

Commentators in first 10 seconds: "JDS cannot fight with his back to the fence like he has in his past fights, otherwise he'll get hurt"

Fights with back to fence

Commentators in first 10 seconds: "JDS cannot fight with his back to the fence like he has in his past fights, otherwise he'll get hurt"

Fights with back to fence
Stipe is just great to watch. Especially those post fight interviews :lol:

Quicker Velasquez heals up, the better. Definitely want to seem him and Stipe throw down.

Stipe is just great to watch. Especially those post fight interviews :lol:

Quicker Velasquez heals up, the better. Definitely want to seem him and Stipe throw down.
I really don't rate him at all tbh. I think he'd has the luck to fight some glass jawed old timers and looks like the business as a result. That division is paper thin - it can't even carry it's own main event.

I really don't rate him at all tbh. I think he'd has the luck to fight some glass jawed old timers and looks like the business as a result. That division is paper thin - it can't even carry it's own main event.
I don't think he's this amazing world destroyer like a Jones or a Cruz, but he is without a doubt the top heavyweight right now. Only people I can see beating him are Velasquez and maybe Ngannou. I would say maybe Derrick Lewis, but he hasn't faced anyone of a high caliber as of yet.

But this card, while it wasn't the best card I've watched, certainly had some good fights. Particularly the Joanna v Andrade fight.

Its ok, he can only run for so long :D.

Hope Rockhold vs Mousasi is in the making too.
He probably hurt his knee running from Romero, in all honesty.

I'm hoping so too, but given the barbs Dana and Rockhold were exchanging in the past few weeks, I don't think Rockhold is in Dana's good book. Which is a shame, cause I love watching him fight.

Great fight but the end was not the best finish ever.. Frankie v Max next should be a wicked fight also 👍
Nobody has been able to knock Frankie out so far! but those crazy punches that Max throws when he gets in the zone and demands a face to face could be too much for Frankie in a slugfest, can't wait for this fight it will be EPIC!! ;)

Also I was expecting Max to call out Conor when he gave the 50k comment at Dana :lol:

Anyone else catch the Holloway / Aldo fight.

Great fight.
I didn't buy the PPV but did manage to catch that fight, was quite a good fight. Better than I expected.

Do wonder what's next for Aldo, it's not like he can fight Edgar again?

As for what's next for Holloway, I'd imagine a fight after September against the winner of a possible Swanson v Edgar fight. But that'd make too much sense for the UFC.

That was a brutal KO by Brunson there on Daniel Kelly. Dropped him like a rock.

Looking forward to the main event now. Derrick Lewis v Mark Hunt. Should be a quick fight, or a long war.

EDIT- Hunt won by TKO in the 4th. Lewis said that this will likely be his last fight as he's getting married next week and doesn't want to keep putting his family through it.

Last edited:
Great fight but Hunt was just too much for Lewis in the end.. good to see a heavyweight fight go 4 rounds and massive exchanges in every round 👍

Hopefully they vacate his belts then in UFC, the period that some divisions have been locked down for is ridiculous.

Back