The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
Dana pretty scathing on Nunes in the post fight presser.... "it was 10% physical and 90% mental". Also said he would never main event Nunes again.

JJ doesn't hold the belt, when he does it will be interesting to see how he handles it (Dana).
I can't really take Dana's word. She'll main event again, if there isn't a big enough fight to dethrone it.

But, if all these reports of Nunes being completely fine are true, the belt needs to stripped off of her.

As expected, the Australian sports media is all over the Whittaker vs Bisping match up but it's getting me very excited. Seems as though the ufc want a November fight but Whittaker doesn't want to fight in November, needs time to recover from two straight camps and the dodgy knee.

As expected, the Australian sports media is all over the Whittaker vs Bisping match up but it's getting me very excited. Seems as though the ufc want a November fight but Whittaker doesn't want to fight in November, needs time to recover from two straight camps and the dodgy knee.
Whittaker has been very active, so he definitely deserves a break. The next Australian UFC cars is in Sydney in November, however that is just a fight night.

Here's what I'd do personally: The new Perth Arena. Australia Day weekend. UFC PPV. Whittaker v Bisping for the title. Build up that Australia v England rivalry. That'll be a sell out for sure.

Here's what I'd do personally: The new Perth Arena. Australia Day weekend. UFC PPV. Whittaker v Bisping for the title. Build up that Australia v England rivalry. That'll be a sell out for sure.

US market doesn't care about that. Whittaker being the challenger doesn't really get to call the venue either, historically. I don't really care when or where it is, as long as both fighters are close to 100% fit.

Hopefully Moussasi/ Rockhold is the next middleweight matchup.

US market doesn't care about that. Whittaker being the challenger doesn't really get to call the venue either, historically. I don't really care when or where it is, as long as both fighters are close to 100% fit.

Hopefully Moussasi/ Rockhold is the next middleweight matchup.
There's a lot of money to be made if they do it like that. No doubt that it will do massive PPV buys in Australia and England, and also sell out the arena, easy. Just look at Melbourne for UFC 193, for example. Dana is quite keen on the idea of the title being defended here, in a fight that would have been on the 193 card. He also is a big fan of the Australia v England rivalry, it seems, so he'd be mad not to see dollar signs there.

That narrative doesn't have to cater to the US market, as if they are a UFC fan, they'll buy that card regardless. They just need to build the card right. Chuck Mark Hunt on it for a farewell fight (I don't see him doing more than 2 more fights in the UFC), against Werdum, Dos Santos or someone who is a draw, have Megan Anderson on it. The card could be stacked if they play their cards right.

I just want to see Rockhold fight Bisping again in a rubber match. That's probably my second most must-see fight. But he'd have to hope Bisping drops the belt first, otherwise he would have to fight and beat Mousasi (which would be an amazing fight).

Gegard Mousasi has signed a six fight deal with Bellator MMA. Big pick up for Bellator, massive loss for the UFC.

That is a huge shame. Massive loss for the UFC.

Where do you guys get all of your MMA news from? Besides the UFC app and Fox Sports I have no idea where to go. Any MMA forums worth frequenting?

I mostly get mine from MMAmania, as well as the ones stated above. Haven't personally found any MMA dedicated forums that are worth frequenting.

Tommy Toe Hold gives me all my MMA news, it may not be perfectly accurate, but it is a bit more trustworthy and truthful than Dana White.

Ryk
Tommy Toe Hold gives me all my MMA news, it may not be perfectly accurate, but it is a bit more trustworthy and truthful than Dana White.
I was actually going to siggest this, but thought maybe he's too satirical and comedic. But if you are looking for a laugh and some news, he's definitely someone to watch. This is probably my favourite episode of his; (Warning: NSFW, swearing)

Livestream of Mayweather v Macgregor first face to face press conference starting now!... Warning!!!! the chat at the side is not for the faint of heart 🤬

Last edited:
Livestream of Mayweather v Macgregor first face to face press conference starting now!... Warning!!!! the chat at the side is not for the faint of heart 🤬

I'm honestly undecided who is going to win this. I think McGregor is to confident in that the fight is likely going to go more than 4 rounds. He's going g to have a much harder time knocking Floyd out than he thinks. But Mayweather is getting older, and has glass hands. Mayweather also didn't seem as confident at the press conference as I would have expected. Far more subdued.
None the less, this is going to be a great fight. Quick or long, it will be epic.

I think today's presser has made it 1-1, only going to get crazier from here

McGregor slaughtered Mayweather today. And if the Toronto crowd was overwhelmingly in favour of McGregor, just wait until tomorrow's press conference in New York. McGregor is doing a fantastic job selling this fight. I'm actually starting to consider getting it, but $130 AUD is a bit steep though.

I was thinking about this fight - you know, Mystic Mac might actually have a shot. Why - unlike UFC, he doesn't have to worry about being knocked out. He only needs to worry about not gassing by throwing freshies. He can take punishment, whereas I am not sure FM can these days.

Really enjoyed the London one. I don't know why but Floyd's money money money really irks me. Maybe I'm jealous I don't know but when he was running in the fact his watch costs 1.3 million dollars I'm just sat there thinking about the old joke of the guy getting his arm ripped off and crying about the watch not his arm.

I'd love to see Conor win but I just don't see it happening though.

The Northcutt vs Makdessi fight has been scratched from 214 with both fighters injured. Bit of a shame, both good fighters to watch. The card is still enormous though.

The Northcutt vs Makdessi fight has been scratched from 214 with both fighters injured. Bit of a shame, both good fighters to watch. The card is still enormous though.
Hopefully that's not a sign for things to come regarding that card.

To be honest that was a dumb fight anyway. Makdessi is a vet, tough for anyone and Sage needed more of a tune up fight after his last outing.

So Stipe Miocic v Cain Velasquez is apparently set to headline UFC 216 in October. Hopefully Cain can make it to October without injuring himself, as I have no doubt that he'd win that fight as long as he's healthy.

Also in the works is Holloway v Edgar/Swanson for the November MSG card. The co-main for that card is currently expected to be Garbrandt v Dillashaw, another great fight that I'm looking forward to.

Speaking of that MSG card; Brock Lesnar has re-entered the USADA drug testing pool, with it rumoured he could be making a return to the Octagon as early as the November MSG card as he's not interested in the WWE anymore. I personally don't see it happening, as he retired from MMA just a couple of months ago, and it doesn't make sense for him to backflip on such a big decision like that.

The pre-fight press conference and face-offs were today;

Just a few more days now, fingers crossed everyone makes it to fight night on the main card.

Back