The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
I hope Maia does some flashback retro stuff to make Brazil proud - but can BJJ trump Wrestling?
Tonya looks to be too small really - But after seeing Gabi Garcia larking about with Cyborg, Cris looks kind of dainty!

• Let's make some rash predictions UFC 214
DC vs. Jon "Sexual Chocolate" Jones ---------- David Coulthard by Gonzaga style head kick in the 3rd minute of Round 1.
Tyron "Holly" Woodley vs. Damian Maia ------- Maia submission 4th round against a very tired Tyron
Cristiane Cyborg vs. Tonya "Triple Threat" Evinger --- Tonya by split decision after she weathers the storm of rounds 1-2

All is set now, everyone thankfully made weight, and now we wait for tomorrow to roll around. 214 is less than 24 hours away now. I'll do predictions a bit later, but I'm torn on two of the fights on the main card.

It's finally fight night for one of the biggest UFC cards in history, headlined by the biggest fight in UFC history, Cormier v Jones 2. Everyone made it to the night unscathed, which is a first for a UFC card in 2017. Here's the card and my predictions:

Match #1 - Light Heavyweight - Jimi Manuwa v Volkan Oezdemir
Prediction - Manuwa by KO in the first

Match #2 - Welterweight - Robbie Lawler v Donald Cerrone
Prediction - Lawler by decision

Match #3 - Vacant Women's Featherweight Title - Cris Cyborg v Tonya Evinger
Prediction - Cyborg by murder in the second

Match #4 - Co-Main Event - Welterweight Title - Tyron Woodley (c) v Demian Maia
Prediction - Tyron Woodley by KO in the third

Match #5 - Main Event - Light Heavyweight Title - Daniel Cormier (c) v Jon Jones
Prediction - Cormier by decision

Never been so excited for a card, and a single fight as I am for Cormier v Jones 2. The PPV card kicks off at 12pm AEST (GMT+10). Until then, here's the extended preview and countdown show for Cormier v Jones 2.

Hahaha Cyborg by murder sounds fairly probable. Good to see no changes to the card, unfortunately I can't watch it but will be eagerly checking updates.

I really can't pick the Jones vs Cormier result. I think I'm leaning towards Jones but it's going to be a war.

Ok card so far up to the end of Cyborg. That roster is so empty, I really don't care about her title.

Looking forward to the next two. I think Cormier might have it, only because JJ is ring rusty.

God damn Woddley fights are boring as hell now. First fight with Wonderboy was good, but since then he just doesn't seem to want to engage in a fight.

Total class from JBJ, I didn't see that coming. Just too good, nothing to be ashamed of for DC, the other dude is just a freak.

Wow - I had an early morning prediction I would put my left foot inside my left shoe... but looking at my feet I seem to have got that prediction wrong.

I'm really bummed for Cormier. He's gotta be a mess after that loss, considering he was winning it until that moment.

What next for Cormier? I can't see anything other than retirement. He can't continue in the Light Heavyweight division as he's beat everyone, but Jones. And he likely won't go back up to Heavyweight considering he left that as Velasquez was the champion and he didn't want to fight him as they are training partners.

FB_IMG_1502946543230.jpg

Definitely looking forward to this. Also confirmed for 217 is Bisping v GSP for the Middleweight Title. Been rumours of Holloway v Swanson/Edgar and Joanna v Namajunas for the Straweight title. Don't think they both will be added though considering that there's two title fights already.

Dos Santos pulled from 215 after being flagged for a drugs violation. 👎
Can't think of anyone to step in. Velasquez is booked against Miocic, Hunt against Tybura in November, Struve against Volkov and Werdum against Lewis. And it's too soon for him to fight Overeem.

Shame for Ngannou as he is quite the promising prospect. Hopefully they can find a suitable opponent for him.

So I hear there's a little fight on this weekend? Between two blokes called Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather? Anyone know anything about that?

In all seriousness though, who's looking forward to it, who's buying it and who do you think will win and why?

All logic says that Floyd should win, but maybe Floyd may "lose" to get a second fight and make even more money, maybe the ref will be the factor in the match, how much holding can Floyd get away with, or if Conor can get away with some dirty punches/reaps.

Both of them win. Loads of exposure and money. The fight? I'll say Floyd wins, as I am usually wrong in predictions!

Hate the living **** out of Mayweather, but I may order it just to see the look on Teddy Weeks' face when McGregor knocks his block off.

Is it really a surprise to anyone? Hopefully CSAC goes for the 4 year suspension.

He just doesn't learn. Such a waste.

Keen for the McGregor vs Mayweather fight Sunday. Should be quite a show.

Hopefully they strip the title from Jon and take the loss/losses from Daniels record to make him undefeated again 👍
DC is on vacation with his family at the moment but I can't wait to hear his statement regarding this crappy cheat re-offending and taking up so much of his MMA career 👎

I feel for Daniel and hope he wipes his ass of this devious opponent once and for all :cool:

Last edited:
Cormier's statement;
“It's hard to find words to describe how I'm feeling right now. I'm disappointed to hear the news. It's very emotional. We as athletes are entitled to due process, and I will refrain from saying much more until I know exactly what happened. In my mind, on July 29, I competed and I lost. I thought Jon Jones was the better man that day. I don't know what to think anymore. I can’t believe we are going through all of this again. We will see what happens next. Thank you to all my fans who have supported me during this dark time. I love you all very much.”

The biggest loser out of this isn't Jon Jones, it's DC. All the ridicule he's received for that loss, all the crap that's been talked, and in the end he has been cheated of a loss (and honestly the 1st one needs an asterix cause Jones was likely on PEDs then too). Gotta feel for DC. Hopefully they do the right thing and he gets his title back and his loss turned to a win. If gets Mark Hunt'ed, the UFC is a joke.

It's fight day! McGregor-Mayweather won't start till 1:15pm GMT+10, for those only interested in that fight.

I've got McGregor by 3rd round KO.

It's fight day! McGregor-Mayweather won't start till 1:15pm GMT+10, for those only interested in that fight.

I've got McGregor by 3rd round KO.
I read approximately 10:27 CST, for the Americans watching. Or Mexicans, Canadians, South Americans, etc. :)

Well, both times are wrong as they are stretching it out as long as possible as no one was in the arena until now.

Been a crap card so far on PPV.

Well, both times are wrong as they are stretching it out as long as possible as no one was in the arena until now.

Been a crap card so far on PPV.
I still have 19 minutes to see if my time is correct. :)

Or do they still have another fight?

Yeah this fight, then McGregor v Mayweather. But if this fight goes the distance, it'll be nearly 2pm GMT+10.
Ok thanks! I didn't rent it. So I'm just following along here, I'm sure there will be updates. It's 10:16pm here.

Back