The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
That was a good fight, even for Floyd critics. Didn't play his usual defensive stance and even surprised the announcers by keeping his head tucked or turning his back repeatedly. Was very entertaining and had to be a great way for Floyd to go out on #50. I think if Conor had a couple more years of experience in boxing and knew how to conserve his stamina, he may very well have last the full 12 and left it down to the judges. But man, I thought for sure in Round 9 when he had lost his legs that Floyd would land the KO.

I loved that fight. There's not more of a perfect way for someone (Mayweather) to go out on. And definitely one of his most entertaining fights. McGregor impressed me with how he outboxed Mayweather in the early rounds, and in the end definitely earnt some respect in my eyes. Still need to see him defend a title before I buy into his hype, but stepping into the boxing ring with the best boxer in the world and giving him a run for his money definitely goes a long way in cementing his legacy.

I didn't watch the fight, but from what I've read mcgreggor hit the wall hard in the later rounds. I used to rent almost every UFC, and have been a boxing fan since I was little watching Tyson. I got into debates with co-workers over this, but UFC has nothing on the cardio that boxers go through. It's an entirely different animal.

It was an entertaining fight, Mayweather's experience was obvious against McGregor but I still thought Connor did better than most expected. The commentators were acting as if he only grew arms in the last month, m not entirely sure what sort of display they expected from him.

As someone who only watches MMA, I don't know if that undercard was particularly average or something but geeze it's a boring old show compared to how the UFC is

As someone who only watches MMA, I don't know if that undercard was particularly average or something but geeze it's a boring old show compared to how the UFC is
Same here, I felt the commentators lacked energy throughout the undercard, the fighters just seemed disinterested and how it was run was just all very sloppy. A UFC PPV beats that anyday.
-

In other news, Jose Aldo is rightfully copping a lot of flack for his take on the fight:

No respect for Aldo now. I liked him, but after that tweet I just can't respect him. He's clearly not over the loss nearly two years later. He got slept by McGregor in 13 seconds. He really can't talk. McGregor just went 10 rounds with the best boxer of our era, possibly ever, and pushed him all the way. Poor form from Aldo.

I don't even like McGregor, but I have nothing but respect for him for going out there and giving it his all. The least Aldo could have done is congratulated him.

I think people also need to remember, Mayweather is 40 and Mcgregor is 29. That's a huge difference in age in boxing/mma. If Mayweather would of been 30, or even 32-33, it wouldn't have been such a good fight.

Last edited:
I had several bets all on Floyd but never chose round 10 :( I had rounds 8 tko and 12 on points and some other mad combination bets also but came away empty handed even though I knew to bet on the winner :D

Enjoyed the fight and Conor put up a good fight early on but it ended how it should have with Floyd ending his career 50-0 👍

I loved that fight. There's not more of a perfect way for someone (Mayweather) to go out on. And definitely one of his most entertaining fights. McGregor impressed me with how he outboxed Mayweather in the early rounds, and in the end definitely earnt some respect in my eyes. Still need to see him defend a title before I buy into his hype, but stepping into the boxing ring with the best boxer in the world and giving him a run for his money definitely goes a long way in cementing his legacy.
Outboxed him? Mayweather carried him for 9 rounds. If that was a 5 round fight Floyd probably would have just wavered the first round then blitzed him. Floyd was in control of how that fight went down from start to finish. Had zero respect for McGregors power. I felt like I was watching a charity exhibition match the whole way through with how bad Conors technique was.

On the surface it looks like Conor did well, but in reality that was purely down to Floyd letting him punch himself out and giving the fans something to watch. He even bet on himself to stop the fight in 9.5. Conor and his delusional fans are lucky that wasn't Canelo or GGG in the ring with him, he would get seriously hurt.

UFC 215 has suffered a late withdrawal with Ray Borg pulling out of his fight against Demetrious Jonhson with illness. The card now only has one title fight scheduled with that being Nunes v Shevchenko.

Quite a lackluster card already, it really didn't need that.
It's a bit like 206 was in that regard. And that turned out to be one of the best cards of 2016. I won't be buying 215, but I've got a feeling it could surprise a lot of people.

216 also looks like a bit of dud too, but with how stacked recent cards have been, it doesn't surprise me that 215 and 216 aren't as high quality.

The Magny vs Dos Anjos fight should be a good one, both exciting, quite well rounded fighters. I won't be buying the fight either though.

Yeah can't say I'm a fan of Nunes now. Was a fan of her in the immediate aftermath of UFC 207, but recent months have changed my mind.

Jon Jones' B sample has come back positive, with that, the UFC and CSAC has overturned the result to a No-Contest and Daniel Cormier has been reinstated as Light Heavyweight Champion.

Also, Joanna Jedrzejczyk v Rose Namajunas has been confirmed for UFC 217.

Jon Jones is an a-hole liar. Hope they wipe him from the UFC record books whilst they are at it. Cannot believe he put on that whole "redemption" act pre and post DC's fight and all whilst juicing in the background.

They should take the added step of banning the associated gym's. That would get some attention.

In a perfect world, the two losses on DC's record would be erased, but unfortunately that won't ever happen.

As for what's next for DC, the winner of a Gustafsson v Oezdemir fight (preferably at UFC 217) should be next for him. And hopefully DC can defend the title on the first card of 2018.

Well, been a lean few months for MMA. Nothing particularly interesting has happened, asides from Ferguson winning the Interim Lightweight title on a good scrap against Kevin Lee, and Mighty Mouse broke Silva's title defense record against another can in Ray Borg. But tomorrow is the biggest card of the year, UFC 217 from MSG.
FB_IMG_1509786473706.jpg

I've got;
Bisping defeating GSP by KO
Garbrandt defeating Dillashaw by split decision
Joanna defeating Namajunas by TKO
Thompson defeating Masvidal by unanimous decision
Costa defeating Hendricks by TKO

Well, been a lean few months for MMA. Nothing particularly interesting has happened, asides from Ferguson winning the Interim Lightweight title on a good scrap against Kevin Lee, and Mighty Mouse broke Silva's title defense record against another can in Ray Borg. But tomorrow is the biggest card of the year, UFC 217 from MSG.
View attachment 686968
I've got;
Bisping defeating GSP by KO
Garbrandt defeating Dillashaw by split decision
Joanna defeating Namajunas by TKO
Thompson defeating Masvidal by unanimous decision
Costa defeating Hendricks by TKO
Did Hendricks actually make weight this time?

Going to be a great main card!

If GSP still has even half his wrestling skills, he's gonna be laying and praying on Bisping all night long. I reckon GSP via decision.

Garbrandt vs TJ will be awesome - I can't help shake the feeling Garbrandt may be a one fight wonder and TJ hash him figured out.

Eva
Did Hendricks actually make weight this time?
Shocking, but yes he did. Safe to say everyone was in misbelief.

Going to be a great main card!

If GSP still has even half his wrestling skills, he's gonna be laying and praying on Bisping all night long. I reckon GSP via decision.

Garbrandt vs TJ will be awesome - I can't help shake the feeling Garbrandt may be a one fight wonder and TJ hash him figured out.
I'm hoping Bisping is able to counter GSP's wrestling and somehow keep it standing. If that happens, it's goodnight Mr. Rush, thanks for coming.

Garbrandt v Dillashaw will be fight of the night, for sure. I've been following Cody his whole career but I've got some reservations on if he can get the job done. As long as he has stayed hungry and put in the miles in training camp, he can get it done, but all this talk from Cody has me worried that he is distracted.

I personally won't be buying this card, it's stacked, but these type of cards usually disappoint. I will be watching though through other means.

She's very cocky but I'll still be rooting for Joanna and sending her positive thoughts and vibes through the winter air all the way to Madison Square Garden.
511f04bcb64f5beb98057ba2dca3de12.gif

Back