The MMA/Boxing Thread (UFC 193 Spoiler Alert!)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Maccer_42, Nov 12, 2013.

1. noshog

noshog

a BIG one for my side of the world this weekend .... UFC243 Whittaker Vs Adesanya.
    Not looked forward to fight as much as this one for a long time, should be a good one !
    Dont really know who I'm backing...Probably Adesanya as he is 100% fighting out of NZ...But Whittaker is half Kiwi... So in a way its a win win for me, but mainly just looking forward to good fight.

2. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Yeah. UFC 243 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia; I believe. Hope you UFC fans get to enjoy this weekend.

3. NW48

NW48

Really disappointing performance by Whittaker. Sloppy, loading up on his punches, and keeping his hands down during the exchanges. Not taking anything away from Adesanya, but Whittaker lost that fight as much as Adesanya won it.

Mr P likes this.
  4. Mr P

Mr P

Adesanya's walkout intro was pretty Epic and to deliver a win too was pretty damn smooth after that entrance!! Robert looked super nervous whilst Bruce was introducing them .. Great fight all in all but cant wait to see Adesanya v the juice monkey next haha that will be crazy ;):tup:

Dan Hooker was brilliant against Al and his call out of Dustin was blunt and to the point.. That will be a belter also ;) Great night of fights :cheers:

Here's Adesanya's intro for anyone who missed it :tup:

5. noshog

noshog

A good night of fights :tup:

In all honesty I don't have much time to keep up with all UFC action these days, therefore haven't seen much of Adesanya's fights leading up to this, didn't realize he is such a showboat ! Generally I dont like the showboat style guys, I prefer action over talk...But I now know Adesanya can definitely walk the walk as well as talk the talk. Didn't even really see the KO blow live, wasn't until they replayed it that I saw just how clever his striking was :eek:.
    I still like Whittaker and hope he comes back to challenge again.

And as @Mr P mentioned... Dan Hooker was very impressive, appears to be a very smart fighter. Hope he gets what he's looking for... A couple of champions fighting out of NZ will go down nicely :).

Mr P likes this.
  6. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Preliminary UFC fights are about to take place in mere moments from Boston. So you UFC fans enjoy some UFC action tonight!

7. Mr P

Mr P

Cant wait for Saturdays card at MSG which for me is head and shoulders above all the other cards this year!! :tup: Here's the build up for the main event.. I'm simply counting the hours now until blast off ;)

And here's the line up of all the nights fights for reference...

Main Card
    Jorge Masvidal v Nate Diaz
    Kelvin Gastelum v Darren Till
    Stephen Thompson v Vicente Luque
    Derrick Lewis v Blagoy Ivanov
    Kevin Lee v Gregor Gillespie

Prelims
    Cory Anderson v Johnny Walker
    Shane Burgos v Makwan Amirkhani
    Brad Tavares v Edmon Shahbazyan
    Andrei Arlovski v Jairzinho Rozenstruik

Early Prelims
    Katlyn Chookagian v Jennifer Maia
    Lyman Good v Chance Rencountre
    Julio Acre v Hakeem Dawodu

This is an exceptionally good card guys.. Don't miss out ;):tup:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    NW48 likes this.
  8. NW48

NW48

Definitely card of the year potential here. And very fitting for the 500th live UFC event. Gastelum v Till has fireworks written all over it, and it'll be interesting to see how a significantly less drained Till fares at Middleweight.

Of course Masvidal v Diaz will be a fantastic fight no matter where it goes, and thankfully it's a 5 round fight. Be interesting to see what the go is with the BMF belt and if it really will be a one and done title or if it'll become something like an openweight title and it'll pass through multiple divisions as the holder goes up or down in weight.

Kevin Lee v Gregor Gillespie should be a good fight to watch, and a heavy ground game fight. Can Kevin Lee reenergize his career with this move to Tristar and training under Firas Zahabi (who coached GSP), or will Gillespie continue his steady rise through the LW rankings. It's a tough one to pick for me.

Finally, I'm interested in seeing if Johnny Walker can continue his run through LHW and get a decisive win over Anderson. He has been on the shelf with a pretty serious shoulder injury, and there have been some reports by people who have seen him train that he's not healed as well as they had hoped and his power and technique has suffered a little. I think Anderson wrestles him to a decision win, but I hope I'm wrong.

Mr P likes this.
  9. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

This Saturday is a big boxing match in Premier Boxing Champions. It's "The Bronze Bomber" Deontay Wilder vs. Luis "King Kong" Ortiz II. I don't know about L. Ortiz, but I know D. Wilder's a bad dude. So it would be a bit tough to go against Wilder in this upcoming fight.

phillkillv2 likes this.