The MMA/Boxing Thread

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 909 comments
I just woke up now and I'm struggling to believe a guy who managed to punch himself previously is now heavyweight champion.

I don't care how old Klitschko is that doesn't make sense.

Anyone else watch? Rockhold vs Weidman should be fight of the night, a worthy champion and as for Conor, he backed up his talk with some walk. I'm not sure what Aldo was thinking, trying to land a haymaker in the first 10 secs, but he wont be doing that again.

Yep, watched it all. Weidman got pretty dang beat up. Only thing I can think of to say about Mcgregor is now he'll never shut up. Can't believe Aldo went out that quick. I expected him to lose just not almostly instantly.

The TUF finale was good. Frankie vs Mcgregor please.

And the fight night from Thursday with Rose and Paige was pretty good.

KTFO. Loved it. I was watching it with four Irish mates in the pub the one from Cavan runs. Drank all evening and stayed up all night. We were going spare when it happened!

And I don't quite understand how people complain if a legitimate fight in a combat sport is over quickly. It's over as quickly as it is; if he knocks the guy out in 13 seconds, he knocks him out in 13 seconds. Can't have any complaints about that. It's a shoot. And it was great.

If you want something with spots and 'drama' which goes the distance, watch pro wrestling.

It'll be interesting to see if McGregor steps up a division or two. He clearly has the body to put on some mass and now he's the undisputed featherweight, let's see what he does against bigger opponents.

hi-res-781082d307deb1934c8842df7355d945_crop_north.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if McGregor steps up a division or two. He clearly has the body to put on some mass and now he's the undisputed featherweight, let's see what he does against bigger opponents.
Indeed, he mentioned staying in two weight classes, but i dont think that realistic. The only options are:

1) Rematch with Aldo - unlikely to be a big money spinner
2) Match with Edgar - seems like the likely title fight if he stays in the division
3) Move up a division - I think this could be a beeeg challenge, there are some brutal finishers (Cerrone, RDA, Khabib) so he may find it a whole different world...

This weekends Cerrone vs RDA will be another to watch.

Uhhh when is CM Punk going to fight? I'm starting to think he only joined UFC in order for his popularity to continue.

Oh and here's his UFC gear/attire.
images

I wonder what will be his division?

Dana White has a tv show on at the moment to find an opponent called "who wants to fight". he recently said in an interview (DW) that CM would certainly fight in 2016. My guess is it will be WW. He'd be crushed in MW. Lawlor would crush him in WW too I reckon.

Nick Blackwell, the former British Middleweight champion who lost his title in a fight against Chris Eubank Jr. recently, is now in a induced coma due to injuries suffered as a result of the fight, which was stopped in the 10th by a doctor's determination.

Ironically enough, this was the second fight that Chris Eubank Sr. has been involved with that led to head injuries in the ring. The first was when he fought a world title match against Michael Watson in 1991 which left Watson with severe brain injuries. That 1991 fight has led to improvements for fighter safety in the ring. Sr., perhaps reliving this with his son, instructed him to go for the body and avoid the head in between rounds.

Neither Eubank will celebrate the win while Blackwell is in a coma.

Impressive by Anthony Joshua (He reminds me of TJ Combo), knocked out Charles Martin in second round. 👍

Last edited:
Manny Pacquiao wins the final fight in his 21-year career last night, beating long time foe Timothy Bradley by unanimous decision 116-110 on all three judges score cards. He also wins the WBO International Welterweight title in the process. He has stated that he wishes to focus on his charity work and his political career, which he is up for re-election in the Philippines Senate. He is widely expected to win one of 12 seats up for election next month as a two-term congressman.

However, promoter Bob Arum and trainer Freddie Roach don't believe that this is the last professional fight, judging by his performance.

Manny Pacquiao wins the final fight in his 21-year career last night, beating long time foe Timothy Bradley by unanimous decision 116-110 on all three judges score cards. He also wins the WBO International Welterweight title in the process. He has stated that he wishes to focus on his charity work and his political career, which he is up for re-election in the Philippines Senate. He is widely expected to win one of 12 seats up for election next month as a two-term congressman.

However, promoter Bob Arum and trainer Freddie Roach don't believe that this is the last professional fight, judging by his performance.

Manila used to be a ghost town during every Pacquiao fight. It wasn't for this one. Everyone expected Manny to beat Bradley (he was robbed on that decision years ago), so the hype wasn't as big as for a Marquez or Mayweather fight.

Plus, he's still facing backlash over his anti-gay rhetoric, which has turned off quite a lot of people, even in a Catholic country like this one.

-

A good night for Manny, though, and a great performance, but not the fight to end your career with.

Never posted here before but I have a light interest in the UFC. However, I was wondering what the kind people of GTP think to McGregor's "retirement" tweet earlier?

I think he's genuine about it, he was at the MMA fight in Ireland where a fighter died and that must have had something to do with his decision.

I don't think he's out of the game forever, I'd say he'll have 2 or 3 more fights in the future for the money.

So like, I can't be the only one here who's excited about UFC 200 this weekend?
You're not the only one though. I can't wait for the Lesnar V Hunt match. I hope Brock still has his UFC skills ever since he went back to WWE.

My picks for the main card:
Match #1 - Velasquez v Browne (Velasquez by TKO in the second)
Match #2 - Tate (c) v Nunes (Tate by decision)
Match #3 - Aldo v Edgar (Aldo by KO in the second)
Match #4 - Hunt v Lesnar (Hunt by KO in the first)
Match #5 - Cormier v Jones (Cormier by decision)

I don't give Lesnar a chance in hell if it stays standing up. Only way Lesnar will be able to win is if he takes it to the ground and stays in the dominant position. But it should be an interesting fight nonetheless. I'm more excited for Cormier v Jones II. That should be absolutely epic.

Massive news breaking: Jones has failed a drug test and the fight has been canned. Lesnar v Hunt is now the main event.

Not surprising he failed. I actually held out of buying the PPV unil Saturday just in case something happened.

Massive news breaking: Jones has failed a drug test and the fight has been canned. Lesnar v Hunt is now the main event.

Not surprising he failed. I actually held out of buying the PPV unil Saturday just in case something happened.

I was more worried he might mow some one down on the way to the fight, glad it only turned out to be this. Also can't say I'm surprised either. You know for a guy that basically came out of now where all those years back and made me get into UFC for a time due to his length and raw ability to fight...he's turned into quite the disappointment.

Really sucks for DC - no pay day and all that prep for nada. I wonder if they will find a last minute replacement or not. Bones, what a disappointment....
I agree. Cormier is probably shattered. All that work for nothing. And he's been waiting for that rematch for a while now.

As for Jones, in my eyes, if he's proven guilty, his legacy is well and truly tarnished.

In regards to a potential fight being made last minute, Dana said he can't do much as Joe Silva is in the air, but he wants to find something for Cormier to do on the card. A few fighters have put their hat in the ring, and Cormier says he'd be ready to bulk up for a heavyweight fight, which is ambitious.

In regards to a potential fight being made last minute, Dana said he can't do much as Joe Silva is in the air, but he wants to find something for Cormier to do on the card. A few fighters have put their hat in the ring, and Cormier says he'd be ready to bulk up for a heavyweight fight, which is ambitious.
Can't see DC doing it. If he takes someone who is a deep outsider and gets smoked like Rockhold, he's a massive loser in all this. Citation, McGregor ;)

Can't see DC doing it. If he takes someone who is a deep outsider and gets smoked like Rockhold, he's a massive loser in all this. Citation, McGregor ;)
Yeah I have the feeling that he wouldn't take a fight too dangerous, but DC being the fighter that he is, he's probably itching to fight on the 200 card though somehow. It'll take a miracle though.

I do hope though they add another fight to the card to justify the $50 price. 4 fights, albeit pretty decent fights, isn't enough for me to get it. Especially considering Hunt v Lesnar is likely to last a round, maybe 3 minutes tops. :lol:

Bisping is only a phonecall away... 2 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours.... two titles?

DC looked totally shell shocked when he found out. Interesting times, it seems.

Ryk
DC looked totally shell shocked when he found out. Interesting times, it seems.
Dana looked absolutely shattered. First Rousey gets destroyed by Holm, then McGregor loses then does his little fake retirement thing, and now Jones gets busted again for drugs. Not a good time to be Dana White. Seems like his favourites are falling over at the hurdle recently.

Back